Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New here and hope you wouldn't mind reading this.  (Read 2028 times)

Offline jamiekate

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
New here and hope you wouldn't mind reading this.
« on: October 25, 2002, 09:09:07 AM »

Hi, my name is jamie.I am 29 (well as of saturday i will be) and for a bit less than a year i have had something happening that scares me.My knees crack loud as i bend, walk up the stepts or get up off the couch.i was wondering what you guys know of  this? i have a appt with a orthop.next friday..thanks

Offline pattyann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: New here and hope you wouldn't mind reading th
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2002, 11:15:28 AM »
I have the same problem in my right knee. It hurts soooo bad when I squat, bend or walk up and down steps. :(
Sorry to hear that you feel the same. At least you have your knee caps  :). I'm missing my left. :'(  I hope that you'll get an answer at your ortho appt.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2002, 11:18:11 AM by pattyann »
32 year old female with no kneecap.

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2002, 07:02:44 PM »
The OS will probably take Xrays, which may show something called chondromalacia. that is fraying of the cartilage. I don't know if that is your problem but you should search the net for more info on that. Let us know what he says, Theresa. Happy Birthday ;D
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.

Offline Rich_NYC

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2002, 07:53:22 AM »
While I don't want to scare you, we all probably have knees that "talk" :-/  Keep your spirits up and remember that most people have a positive outcome from treatment.  Good luck with your appt. and welcome to the board.
scope to repair 2 meniscal tears (didn't help the pain]; post-patellar osteoarthritis

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 05:06:00 AM »
Just wanted to chime and say good luck to you....  Hope everything goes well at your appointment.  You will have to keep us updated.  Hope you are on the mend soon!

Lesley
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 101
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2002, 01:09:09 AM »
There are many types of knee noises - some seem to be of little consequence and some are much less so.
Fine crunchy noises (like rice breakfast cereal being scrunched in the hand) are often caused by the kneecap joint covering being stressed - in chondromalacia for example.  A very loud pop in association with an injury, and followed by pain and swelling, may be a cruciate ligament or meniscus tearing.  Popping with bending may be a torn meniscus (usually painful), a discoid meniscus (a big abnormal shaped meniscus), or may just be the knee popping a vacumn inside the joint (of no consequence).  Snapping may be a plica (tender around or above the kneecap), iliotibial friction band syndrome (tender round the side in cyclists or runners), a snapping popliteus tendon in arthritis, where the tendon snaps over an osteophyte (bone spur).  There are others.  The important features are usually associated pain and swelling.  Otherwise one is often told it is not anything serious and 'live with it'. Let us know what they say,

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 101
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2002, 01:16:29 AM »
--
KNEEguru

Offline jamiekate

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: UPDATE.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2002, 07:55:18 PM »
well i went to the doc and he did take xrays...he gave it a name but it was so complex sounding that i cant remember it. what he said was  that a thin shiny film in my knee is rubbing or wearing thin and thats why it makes the noise....he said it cant be healed and that its something i will keep life long. he is sending me to phy.therapy for 2 visits to be taught some excercises for my upper thighs....he said it i could strengthen them and gain some flexability that it would take pressure off my knees and maybe make it better. i am going to have to call them back and ask for the name of the condition. does this sound familiar to anyone? i appreciate the feedback you have given.

jamie

Offline LA2047

• Regular Poster
  • Why is the 3rd watch hand called the second hand?
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2002, 04:52:43 AM »
Jamiekate -

It does sound a little like mine.  My knee also crunches when under stress - like walking up or down stairs.  If I remember what my surgeon told me correctly, in my case it was due to the ligaments attached to the back of the kneecap being over-worked as a result of injury to other parts of the knee.  The PT (physical therapy) should help if you stick with it.  Good luck, Happy Birthday, and Welcome!

K.
Complete PCL & LCL rupture, partial MCL rupture, December 2001 (car meets motorcycle - man meets freeway).  LCL reco 3/02 (donor graft), PCL reco 5/02 (donor graft).  Motorcycle, R.I.P.

support