Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Any good tips on getting some sleep?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline californianative

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Lisa....a California Native
Any good tips on getting some sleep?
« on: June 29, 2004, 08:00:40 PM »
I can't sleep because of this stinking pain since my last surgery in March. Before surgery I had ONE position I could sleep in. If I kept my knee on the edge of the bed and hung my foot off, I could sleep pain-free. Now that my OS screwed me out of sleep I am getting real tired of this. I allow myself one Vicadin induced sleep a week, and that's just not cutting it. Does anyone out there have any good tips on getting some sleep with knee pain? Thanks!
Lisa...a California Native
2003 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving
2004 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving, lateral release, meniscus repair, resurfacing of the bones.

Offline Emily

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Any good tips on getting some sleep?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 08:18:17 PM »
Oh what I would do to fall asleep fast and sleep all night!!! I feel ya completely on the sleeping problems!!! The best thing I have found to do it just wear my cryo cuffs when I am trying to fall asleep, and have LOTS of pillows under my knees, or on my side with abig pillow between my knees. Not the most comfortable LOOKING position, but it's the best thing I have found to sleep with rebel knees... also, if you don't want to take vicodin more than once a week, how about trying Tylenol PM or something like that? It may ease some of  the pain a bit and also help you sleep...

Emily
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 08:20:23 PM by KneePain326 »
Right Knee- 10-14-03- LR, TTO, Scope, Plica excision
               4-20-04- Scope, screw removal, scar tissue clean up

Left knee- subluxing, maltracking & malaligned-not ready to start treatmet..

Offline californianative

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 08:22:22 PM »
Oh trust me, I use more to get some sleep other than just the Vicadin, but I can see that I will/could get addicted to sleep aids real quick if I let myself use them too much.
2004 Scope on RT knee, patella shaving, lateral release, meniscus repair, resurfacing of the bones.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 03:55:23 AM »
It may be a wierd question, but have you tried sleeping in a recliner? I have found that if I'm really uncomfortable in bed, a relatively neutral position like you can get in a recliner helps. You could also mimic that same kind of position with pillows.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline SigSauer5150

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 09:54:22 AM »
Hey Native, Sorry to hear about your troubles, and i can definatly say that no sleep doesnt help at all. Ever Since my surgery, i havent been able to sleep well at all partially from pain, and partially from a huge break in any kind of routine that i had pre op with sleep. I got comfortable, in the new recliner i had bought just prior to surgery and i had been so used to sleeping in it, that when i got back into the bed with the significant other, i couldnt sleep, now im getting a lot less pain, but the sleep is just not right, so i did the Tylenol PM route...2 didnt work, 3 did the trick, however i felt like DOODOO the next day and was worthless, about a week of using those just didnt cut it, the doc had mentioned them prior, but i didnt wanna take em, finally i  had to and ended up not using them. So on the next visit, i asked him about it, and he gave me a prescription for Ambien... Wonderrful stuff, no hangover, and i use it maybe once a week, best sleep i ever had..... But the recliner, well i cant get any better sleep than It and a Ambien.....Good luck
1996 R-knee hyperextension/meniscus tear 2004 L-knee scope/meniscal tear and thermal shrinking

Offline californianative

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 08:29:24 PM »
I may try mimicing the recliner with pillows since I don't have a recliner or the room for one. We used to have 2 one for each of us and we always used them when we were sick and stuff, that was prior to injuries, if I had known I would have kept at least one! I have heard of Ambien...but, I may have to try to get something like that from my general DR seeing as my OS is a waste of time until more time since my surgery has passed. Thanks, I appreciate the tips, I'll try anything as you all know!