Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MAJOR PROBLEMS  (Read 899 times)

Offline enigma2fly

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
MAJOR PROBLEMS
« on: June 24, 2004, 07:03:16 AM »
HI- I POSTED A TOPIC A MONTH AGO. HERE IS MY PROBLEM I HAD AN ACL REPLACEMENT AND MCL REPAIR BACK OF MY KNEE SHAVED AND CARTILAGE REMOVED. I HAD MY SURGERY IN OCT AND MY SYPTOMS HAVE GOTTEN WORSE IF ANYTHING. MY KNEE IS GIVING OUT MORE, I CANNOT RUN ON IT, I CAN NOT BEND MY LEG TO GO UP/DOWN STAIRS ??? ???I AM REALLT CONCERNED AT THIS POINT OF COURSE I HAVE HAD A BATTLE ON MY HANDS BECAUSE IT IS WORKER'S COMP, BUT BASICALLY I CANNOT FUNCTION THE WAY I DID OR USED TO. MY QUESTION IS DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY INFO TO AS IF I HAVE HAD A BAD ACL RPLCMNT OR IT JUST NOT TAKING? WHAT ARE THE PROCEDURES FOR HAVING THAT REDONE???I GO THIS FRI FOR ANOTHER MRI

THANKS
MARK ANDRES
Mark Andres

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: MAJOR PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 12:09:08 PM »
There are a lot of things that could be going on.  The graft may be too tight or too loose, you may have a problem with scar tissue (very probable with your symptoms) or there may be additional damage due to altered knee mechanics.  As good as doctors are, they can't perfectly duplicate the natural mechanics of a knee with no ACL issues, so it's often common to see a post-ACL recon patient have damage to the meniscus or even the articular cartilage.  If hardware was used, it may be causing problems, your quads may not have recovered fully and that would leave you with serious tracking problems.

You've got to see the doctor and have a thorough, hands-on exam and hope he/she really knows what s/he's doing.  For example, the scar tissue situation is relatively rare, but seems to be more common after ACL reconstructions.  

I don't know anything in detail on other complications of ACL, but you will no doubt find discussions on them below in the Cruciates section.  There are people posting there who have had issues with bad graft placement, poor rehab, scar tissue, and so forth.

BTW, are you still in physical therapy?  What does your PT say about the situation?

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline enigma2fly

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 10:32:29 PM »
HEATHER-
BASICALLY I'M DOING ALL MY PT STUUF ON MY OWN, SINCE IT'S WORKER'S COMP I GOT CUT OFF AT SIX MONTHS.

MARK
Mark Andres

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 11:37:28 PM »
If that is the case, you should definitely go back to your operating surgeon.  If he/she can't or won't help you, it may be necessary to brush up on the rules and fight for a second opinion.  If you haven't had PT and your knee is going downhill, it's very important to go back to the doctor and see what is happening.  It may be something as simple as a muscle imbalance, or there may be some other things going on.

I know it's tough with WC, but you are the one who has to live with your knee for the rest of your life, not the administrators of WC.  So push and fight and scream until you get the treatment to which you are entitled.  Their job is to make it difficult for you in the hopes that you will go away--this cuts their costs.  Don't give in, but beat them at their own game by becoming aware of all the rules and following them to get what you want and need for treatment.  It may be necessary to get a lawyer.  Remember, your WC casework is not on your side, your goals are opposed to each other....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support