Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Synvisc and allergies  (Read 3393 times)

Offline sarah

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Synvisc and allergies
« on: October 28, 2002, 10:30:54 PM »
 ;DI am considering Synvisc but there is a warning about allergies to chicken feathers. I  am not allergic to the chicken meat or eggs. Anyone know what type of reactions there are? Is it systemic, shock or local redness if any reaction at all.

Thanks!! :-/
Partial medial meniscectomy and chondroplasty 10/02. OA

Offline JorJor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Synvisc and allergies
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 06:41:05 PM »
This product from what I understand is made from a hormone in a roosters comb...hence if you have any allergies to chicken products you may have a reaction. I am not sure what the reaction may be though.
I have had 5 rounds of these types of injections (3 Synvisc, 2 Hylogen) and started my 6th round yesterday with Supartz. I would recommend that you discuss the other 2 drugs that are available rather than Synvisc. From my experience and from what my OS has told me, Synvisc tends to have more of a local reaction than the other drugs...Hylogen(sp?) or Supartz.
5 surgeries (2 Micro-Fractures)! 8 rounds of Synvisc, Hylogan(sp?) & Supartz.  5th Scope 2/13/03 chrondoplasty & rp m. meniscus. Won't let it stop me...walked 60 miles in 3 Days for Breast Cancer.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 100
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Synvisc and allergies
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2002, 11:14:39 AM »
Here is a link to help you with your research:

http://arthritisinsight.com/medical/meds/synvisc.html

KNEEguru
--