Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Just when I thought it was safe to walk again. . .  (Read 1300 times)

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
Just when I thought it was safe to walk again. . .
« on: June 18, 2004, 05:29:41 AM »
I wanted to believe the knee thing was all over. I wanted to believe that I could walk without fear. I wanted to believe that this new job was a fresh start, leaving behind the disappointment of having to start over.

Then, today something happened as I was coming down the stairs from my second-story office (and I was wearing  my very best ugly, sensible shoes). God was surely with me, though, because I somehow regained my balance before going down the stairs, face first.  When I got downstairs, the office receptionist asked what was wrong. And guess what? I started crying as I was trying to tell her! The fear and the reality of what had almost happened was just too much. WILL THIS NEVER BE OVER?

My left leg is just always going to function differently than my right one, and I somehow cannot fully accept that. My current job as a realtor means that I have to go up and down steps in all sorts of buildings, and I am so unbelieveably cautious that I just cannot believe it almost happened again. On a positive note, somebody made some noise in my behalf, and the railing that had been removed several weeks ago for remodeling was reinstalled before I got back to the office this afternoon. You can bet that I'm planning to use it as I go up and down the staircase.

I'm fine physically now. The knee is a little more swollen than usual and my opposite ankle is tender, but I'm beaten up emotionally. Honest, I well up in tears everytime I think about it. Does anybody out there have any coping mechanisms that work?

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Just when I thought it was safe to walk again.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 07:09:18 AM »
Sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it. As for coping mechanisms, I'm not 100% sure what you mean.... to deal with the fact that my ability to do a lot of things is limited by my inability to walk very far in one shot... I work on coming up with things I can do.

I'm one of the few adults who will admit I play video games. Not very active physically, but I like to play the "e" rated games - the ones without blood and guts and shooting people - I hate the violent games. I have a Playstation 2, which also conveniently plays DVDs, so I can lay in bed and play my games or watch a movie. I like the Spyro the purple dragon games, and I also like the Harry Potter games.

I crochet from time to time, when I'm not dealing with carpal tunnel surgery and complications, or a fractured wrist - which has killed doing this for the last 6 months between the 2 issues (opposite hands - ctr on RH, fx on Lwrist)

Another coping mechanism I use a lot is books. If I cant take my body on an adventure, I can certainly send my mind on one. I've gotten expert enough over the years, that I can tune out everything and everybody when "lost" in a good book. Lately I've gotten fond of books on disc or tape, as holding a book after last december's carpal tunnel release and last april's wrist fracture, has been kind of difficult to do for very long periods of time.

I've also gotten addicted to chatting on the computer with you all, amongst others.

silly idea, I might be out of my mind for thinking of this, but what would happen if you were to try to step down the stairs facing upstairs, kinda like walking backwards? I know it sounds really odd, but if you are holding the handrail, and stepping carefully, would it be easier on the knee, like walking backwards on the treadmill is easier than scooting forwards on a stool is at PT?

I've also done an odd sort of stiff legged stair maneuver. I keep the bad knee straight, and step widely to allow one to alternate feet on the stairs like normal. Looks odd as heck, but worked for me. I've also done the one legged down the stairs hop.... hang onto the rail and hop on the good foot, not using the other leg.

The other thing i've done, and still do sometimes, is to step up with the good leg bring the bad leg next to the good one, do not put on the next higher step, then step up again with the good leg. Reverse for going down, leading with the bad leg. This technique allows you to avoid weight bearing on the bad knee in a partially bent position, which is one of those things that always seems to hurt the most for me.

I dont  know if these are the kind of coping mechanisms you are asking about, but thought I'd try to respond.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Beth_T

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Knees - who came up with the idea?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 04:48:41 PM »
Hi Liz

Ouch !! poor you - hope you get better soon  :)

Just to touch upon what DM said about stairs, someone I worked with told me after my LR to always say to yourself "Good up, Bad down"  Which is good leg first going upstairs, bad leg first going down.  It definately worked for me.  

As for coping mechanisms, I make teddy bears when I'm not at work - hand sewing them seems to take my mind of my knee pain and they're great to hug when they're finished  (OK I'm 29 going on 4 but I don't care  ;D ).

Take care
Beth T
Had a not needed LR op due to a fall
Found out that nerve damage was causing the pain, acupuncture worked - all ok :)

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 04:53:14 PM »
Thanks, dm and Beth_T! Yes, I do the one-step going down stairs always, and that is what I was doing yesterday when I stumbled. When I left PT a couple of months ago, the therapist told me that he thought I would continue to improve and that I might be able to "do stairs" in a more normal fashion eventually. That has not been the case, though I do feel stronger. Especially with yesterday's incident, now I am afraid to even try.

What I meant by coping is how to avoid falling again without spending the rest of my life in fear. I'm starting to look like an 80-year-old, and I guess I thought that would get better. Yesterday, I felt propelled back in time--right back to the "barely-off-crutches" stage. The emotional whammy was almost unbearable.

LizL
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct

Offline Beth_T

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Knees - who came up with the idea?
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 07:30:27 PM »
Hi again Liz

Ah! see what you mean now - doh!  :P

I find my self in the same situation - I bend down to do something, massive pain starts, don't wanna bend down again.  It's a nasty vicious circle that we get into not wanting to do "normal" things for the fear of pain or more injury.
To be honest I don't know the answer - I just think you have to find the thing that works best for you.  Sorry naff reply I know.  
I'm still trying to find out what's wrong with my knee and I some days I get really depressed when the pain won't stop.

Hang in there
Hugs
Beth
Had a not needed LR op due to a fall
Found out that nerve damage was causing the pain, acupuncture worked - all ok :)

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 04:15:39 AM »
Ahhhh..... I see what kind of coping stuff you mean now.

One thing I've done from time to time is to use a cane if I have to walk a lot, or if I'm having a bad pain day. For some reason, using a cane when I want to limp seems to help me walk straighter, with less of a limp.

As for reaching if you drop stuff... get one of those grabber thingys.... I've seen the inexpensive ones at Target. I keep meaning to get one, but forget or find that I'm short of money when it occurs to me.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 08:45:05 PM »
Yesterday, my knee gave way while I was just walking along on a level surface. It popped forward about 30 degrees and then I caught myself before falling. I think that must be what happened the other day on the stairs. Now, I'm really hanging onto rails everytime I use stairs.

I'm getting worried, though. . .

dm,

You're right. I need a grabby thingie!

LizL
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct

Offline sandra

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 01:07:00 AM »
I don't walk down stairs if I can avoid it at all.  I have to do it at home, but at work I never do.  I usually am wearing small heels (I don't walk much at work; they're mostly for show, and I commute in a pseudo-sneaker) or other less stable shoes and I just do not feel comfortable going down stairs.  Also, I work in an historic building and our stairs are marble and twisting.  I just feel like I could fall way too easily.  

My coworkers are nice enough to wait and ride the elevator with me, even if we're going down just a flight or two.  If I do have to walk down stairs, I put a *lot* of my weight on the handrails - I would say close to 50%, which really helps me out.    
1/04 left knee lateral release and debridement; grade 2-3 chondromalacia
7/05 left knee synvisc treatment
3/06 left knee debridement