Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: worried...  (Read 4312 times)

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: worried...
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2004, 06:31:58 PM »
MJ,

I am glad for you that your OS feels the plug is ok.  A meniscal tear doesn't seem as bad to deal with, although, shooting pains and buckling sure isnt fun.  You definatley should not play ostrich and hide your head in the sand as we know how troublesome these knees get if we ignore them.  
So far things are looking good with this new plug of mine.  I am going to the OS next week for an xray so we will have a much better idea on how it is looking.  It really feels good though.  Rom and strength is coming along and I got the ok to start light weight bearing this week.  A little nervous about that but it seems to be going ok so far.  
Good luck with the new OS this summer.  
Kathy
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2004, 10:02:19 PM »
Kathy---

Thanks for your reply and GOOD LUCK with weight-bearing.  I can remember how tentative my first steps were, but you'll ge fine soon, I am sure.  
I will go and find an os this summer and then report back what he says....

MJ
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2004, 09:44:05 AM »
Hi Mary Jane.

If you'd like, I can message you the name of a top knee doc in Vienna.  He's the colleague of a good friend's brother (don't you love these shirt tail associations?) and is considered one of the top OS's in the region--does the ski team, and in general puts Humpty Dumpty back together again.  

He's been kind enough to consult for no charge on my knee--I'm getting together x-rays and stuff and once I get up the nerve, I'll send it.  He sees a lot of salvage cases...

Let me know if you're interested.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2004, 01:20:52 AM »
Kathy,

I hope all is well.  I was a little surprised that you decided to go PWB at 4 weeks.  I figured that you would have waited  until 6 week like your previous message mentioned.  Interesting that some MDs will say 4 and other 8 for a similar procedure.

I went for my 6 week post op about a month ago and continued to push my surgeon about my medial joint pain (which I have had since Feb).  He was a little skeptical that it really was coming from my joint since the graft look so good via scope (despite the MRI showing otherwise).   Basically he injected the joint with simple lidocaine.  If I performed a movement that normally bothered me and the pain was gone, then it was in the joint.  If not, it was outside the joint.  Within 15 seconds, I knew it was in the joint.  He did a quick x-ray and re-reviewed my pre-op MRI.  Turns out I have a fracture radiating from my MFC grafts.  He was surprise I was comfortable walking.  

This is not the first time this has happened.   When I was first diagnosed with a chondral defect it was really due to joint fluid seeping into the fracture and the only way that would happen is if I had no cartilage.  This was about two years ago.  

So, he gave me a couple choices, NWB crutches for 8 - 12 weeks or use an unloader brace from the remainder of the year.  I really don't like either option, but I am now using an unloader brace.  It is not a big help with walking, but thing like function squatting it helps a tremendous amount.

Keep us in the loop on your progress.  I am very interested in how you heal since you were regrafted.

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2004, 11:39:17 PM »
Hi Janice,

I was wondering how you were doing.  I had read another post of yours where you mentioned the unloader or NWB and wondered what you decided.  I think I would have opted for the brace rather than the crutches as well.  Sorry it is not helping much with the walking, maybe it will help in time.  

I'm doing ok...started light weight bearing last week and so far it seems to be going alright.  I have an appointment with the os this thursday for xrays so I suppose we will know more about how the plug looks then.  
I am beginning to think that I'm having some issues with the scar.  It has gotten really hard the past few days and massaging it really hurts more.  The whole knee is beginning to have a constant ache which I hadnt had before.  Even keeping me from sleeping.  I really dont think it is coming from inside the knee, definately feels more like an outside the joint tissue ache.  If that makes any sense.  
Anyway, I will bring it up with my OS on thursday and see what he says.  

Good luck with the unloader and keep us informed on how it is working for you.
Kathy
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2004, 07:38:15 PM »
Just thought I would update on my 5 week check this morning.  OS did xrays and the graft looks great.  It is sitting very flush and OS is very pleased, as am I.   He was really impressed with my rom...10-105 actively and 0-120 passively.  I have been partial weight bearing for a few days now and OS said to go ahead and try for fwb by the end of next week!  I am pretty excited about that because right now it is feeling great with partial.  The only concern he has is with the scar tissue.  My kneecap is pretty restricted which is what has been causing that general achiness and discomfort I have been having recently.  He feels that I need some more ultrasound and patellar mobs and we should be able to kick it in the butt.  
Overall I am feeling really good about things right now.  Considering this is my second surgery and I still have a ways to go with PT, my knee honestly hasnt felt this  good in a long time.    Keep your fingers crossed for me and I will update again soon.
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2004, 08:23:59 PM »
Kathy--

Congratulations!  Sounds like all systems are go at the moment which is great news and I am very happy for you.
As for the patellar tightness, I had some of that at the beginning too, but with the ultrasound at pt and the mobilizations, it soon disappeared, thank goodness.
I wish you continued good luck.

Mary Jane
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02