Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: worried...  (Read 4313 times)

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • glad to have my knee back again
worried...
« on: June 18, 2004, 12:42:24 AM »
After being so upbeat about my new knee, and indeed it has been wonderful, I am now getting a bit worried...
For the past little while (a couple of months or so)I have been having really strong shooting pains right where the pain was before,  when I twist my knee a certain way.  I can't make it happen, but when it does happen it catches me completely unawares and really hurts.  The knee has buckled a couple of times.  But just as quickly, the pain disappears  so I am trying to ignore it.  
The last MRI in November showed nothing untoward except of course the healed plug and a perfect articular surface (os's words)  So what could this be???  Have I got a loose body?
I am afraid to go to a new os  (I have left NYC where the surgery was done) and I am also afraid about doing nothing as I don't want to damage the knee.... Very down at the moment  as I was hoping the operation would be the end of the knee problems...

MJ
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 12:44:42 AM by violin1 »
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline mayme

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Re: worried...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 01:58:16 AM »
Hi MJ:

Don't get discouraged yet. What about just calling your os in NYC & describing the symptons as you've done in this forum?

He might have an answer -- or at least some suggestions as to what , if anything, you should do next.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
CJ

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 10:33:30 PM »
MJ,

Interestingly enough, I thought I was doing really well too then I started having problems about 8 months post op with medial joint paint.  Started out just being a little bit of pain during weight bearing flexion (like squatting).  I saw the OS at 12 months for my annual (April '04).  I had a MRI which showed subchondral cysts in the uderlying bone where the grafts are.   He didn't think it looked good for me (grafts not healing).  So I had a scope a couple weeks later.  The grafts looked great so he thought the grafts were still healing.  Of the 18, only one showed that the cartilage part of the graft was thinning.

Problems is, my medial joint pain started getting worse and worse.  Turns out I have a stress fracture radiating from the graft site on the MFC.  He also thought those grafts weren't doing as well as the scope showed.  He gave me two options...cutches for extended period of time (like 8-12 weeks) or an unloader brace for 6 months.  I decided on the unloader brace that is custom fit.  I will check in every month and if I don't show progress I will have to go on crutch duty.

My gut tells me that I will need to eventually have the MFC regrafted, but I will just keep plugging along.  Thing always work out for me.   The good thing is, he said that once I get the brace, I can do anything I want (no running or hiking).  

Keep your head up, thing will work out.  

Keep us posted as well.

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

jackpowell

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 01:03:54 AM »
Hi Janice,

What is a cyst?

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 11:30:12 AM »
Hi CJ and Janice--

Thanks for your input:  I hadn't thought about contacting my os in NYC, but he did say to email him if I ever had a problem and so I will do that as a first step.
Thank you, Janice for your encouraging remarks:  I am very sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time with your grafts.
I have also decided to try and keep sort of a record of when and how often this strange shooting pains occur.  Or course, I wish they wouldn't occur at all.

MJ

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 11:29:01 PM »
Hi Jack,

Subchodral cysts happens during the natural development or progession of osteoarthritis or degenerative joint disorder.  In my case it can mean the underlying bone part of the graft is either healing/incorporating or dying.  When he saw the MRI, he thought it wasn't healing, but that was before the scope which showed very healthy grafts.  He was a little worried about the MRI primarily because there are no case studies to refer to as far as mega-mosaicplasty goes.  The was the largest procedure that he knows about...by far.  He really didn't know how long it would take for the surrounding bone to incorporate the new grafts.

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 11:36:13 PM »
MJ,

Although I am having problems, it really hasn't stopped me at all (except running which I was only doing about 10 minutes 3x per week).  My PT really thinks I should not do anything at all, to give the bone time to calm down.  However, I did that for 3 weeks with no relief at all.  Actually it was worse.  It wasn't bothering me when I walked until about 2 days ago.   I'm still waiting for my insurance company to pre-authorize the custom OA unloader brace.  Usually my insurance is pretty quick about turning  around pre-auth stuff.  I think my PT will be more comfortable with my activity level once I start using it.   My gut tells me that it will need regrafted, but hopefully not.

My best coping mechanism is to not believe that I have a problem.  So that's what I continue to think.  Well I'm off for a long bike ride....hope to get in 30-40 miles.

Keep rehabing and keep the quads strong.

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 06:15:08 PM »
Hi MJ,

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having lately.  Just like you, I had an Oats in Dec 03 for a 10 mm plug  (I think I remember seeing your was about the same size) please correct me if I am wrong.  Anyway,  I started having serious ice pic type shooting pains about 2 months ago.  When I saw my OS he did an xray and saw that the graft had shifted somehow.  He decided to redo the graft and started with an arthroscope but was a bit baffled because the graft looked ok, he said if I wasnt complaining so much of the shooting pain he would have left it alone.  He proceeded to the open procedure and 'low and behold' that is when he saw the
defect and the kissing lesion.    I am not trying to scare anyone hear but if it hurts then there is something wrong.  So many doctors look at xrays and mri's and swear up and down that you are fine.  My OS truly believed me and continued with the operation because he knew that something had to be wrong to cause me so much pain.  I guess in a way he was taking a chance of cutting me open for no reason but I'm glad he did.  He found the defected plug and fixed it.
I am now 12 days out and it is honestly feeling great.  Very stiff and sore but better than after the first surgery which was a scope.  GO FIGURE!
I just wanted to share my experience to show you that you really need to be persistant if you are experiencing pain.  I had a gut instinct that something was wrong and my OS believed me.  If your current OS says that everything looks fine but in your gut it just doesnt feel right, you really should find someone else who can help you.
Good luck........let us know what you decide to do.
Kathy
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 07:34:48 PM »
Hi Kathleen!

I am glad to hear that you are doing so well after your surgery--I didn't know that you had to have the oats redone!  Our lesions are more or less the same size, I think my os said 15mm diameter plug...I hope that this time your operation solves the problem.
I have emailed my os since posting, no reply yet though.  I also reread the mri report and there is mention of some "prominent offset of the bone in a focal area due to stress remodeling " (what could that be?) at one edge of the plug.  Perhaps this is what is causing the problems. At the same time the report says the plug is "fully incorporated" with the surrounding bone and the surface is intact.
For the moment  my knee is behaving well--the shooting pains are there every now and again, but the knee hasn't buckled on me for a few days.  let's see what the doctor says.
Thanks again for all the input!

MJ

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 07:58:14 PM »
Interesting thought for you...
My OS told me before surgery that the plug was not sitting right, that the edge of it was 'sticking out'.  He said it was probably totally incorporated but somehow not flush.  Your MRI report mentioning the 'prominant offset of the bone' sounds very similar to what my problem was.  He said that even though the cartilage surface may be smooth if the bone surface is not...it can cause all sorts of problems. That was the case for me.
That little piece of surface not flush with the rest was the culprit.  
Since it is mentioned in your MRI I would not take it lightly and I would think your OS wouldnt either.  It has caused me so much pain and may be why my tibial defect has gotten worse.  
Keep me informed.
Kathy
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 04:03:14 AM »
Hi Kathleen,

It sounds like you recovery is going well.  I hope it works this time and your recovery is speedy.  So how long did your OS say to stay off the knee?  The whole weight bearing thing seems to differ from MD to MD.  I just heard some comments from Dr. Steadman in Vail about microfracture.  He actually thinks the patient should be NWB for 8 weeks (rather than 6) and that in part is why he had the success he does with microfracture.  Now microfracture is not the same, but his comments were interesting about letting the cartilage and bone heal.

Good luck...Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 06:10:40 PM »
Janice,

It would be interesting to read about what Dr Steadman thinks about an Oats rehab.  As much as I have tried I cant seem to find anything.  My surgeon trained with Dr Minas in Boston, one of the best up here regarding cartilage issues, and is very confidant about the 6 weeks NWB for a single autograft.  But then again, I did need to have it redone, right?  You are right about so many MD's differing about the NWB issue.  I suppose some are overly cautious and go for the longer range while others do not.  
I am definately not going to push things.  I am looking at the 6 weeks as a general guideline but ultimately I am going to go with what feels right for me.  I do not want to have this done again.  Although, I do realize that at some point I will need to address the tibial lesion.  
If you have any links as to where I can find info on Dr Steadmans feelings on autograft, I would really appreciate it.  
Kathy
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 08:07:53 PM »
Katleen,

I don't think Steadman does a lot of OATS or osteochondral grafting procedures, he is a huge microfracture guy.  Normally if you read some of the more in-depth articles about cartilage repair techniques, Steadman's name only comes up with microfracture.  I just know that he is a big believer in the longer NWB and conservative rehab for microfracture.  However, microfracture produces online fibrocartilage and not hyline cartilage.   As you know there is a big difference between the two.  In my case, because multiple plugs were used, I needed the fibrocartilage to fill in the gaps.  With you, having a single graft, it may be different.  I don't know how much fibrocartilage fills in the edges if any at all.

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 11:20:21 PM »
Hi MJ,

I was just wondering if you had a chance to speak with your doctor and if so, what he had to say.  

Hope the knee is behaving.
Kathy
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 11:40:40 AM »
Hi Kathleen!

Thanks for your post--yes, I did exchange several e-mails with my os in NYC.  He feels, based on what I told him and what the last MRI in Nov. showed,  that there is nothing wrong with the  plug, but that I probably have a meniscal tear....He said I should come and see him in the office which I would dearly love to do, but since I am living in Dublin at the moment, it isn't that easy.  I will try and find a good os in our hometown Vienna, when I am back home in August.  We will be moving there permanently in December.
At the moment, my knee is behaving. The shooting pains and occasional buckling still happen, even though they are not getting worse.  Sometimes I feel like being an ostrich and just forgetting about the whole thing, but knees need to be taken care of and so I will have to go and see the os this summer.
How are you doing?  Is the new graft sitting in the right place?  I hope all is well with you.
Take care

Mary Jane
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 11:44:55 AM by violin1 »