Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: recovery time???  (Read 1394 times)

Offline 5thgear

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
recovery time???
« on: September 15, 2002, 06:43:56 PM »
ive dislocated my knee and it turns out i might need an operationg whihc ill find out next week
my question is how long will it take after an operation to recover with the aid of physio treatment to be able to play competitve sports again without a problem? and how long will it take if i dont have an operation and just get physio and stregthen the muscles aroud?
thank you for your help
->david.

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: recovery time???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 05:13:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about your knee problems.  There's no easy answer to your questions...  It all depends on what your diagnosis is and what kind of surgery you will be having.  For instance, I had a Lateral release last year and was up and walking within a week, and didn't have any restrictions on sports.  Then, on my other knee, last month, I had an OATS procedure and I am banished to 6 weeks non-weight-bearing and no strenous activities for at least 6 months.  It all depends on your surgery and the state of your knee.  

One piece of advice I can offer is to make sure your quads and hamstrings are really strong before you go into surgery, your recovery time will be greatly diminished!  That made a lot of difference to me in my 2nd lateral release.  

Make sure you ask your surgeon about all your alternatives, including physical therapy- some people, depending on their knee problems, can solve their problems with PT and other non-invasive techniques such as orthotics, and even cortisone shots.  
Please let us know how your appointment goes next week.

Lesley
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

support