Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249023 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6450 on: January 05, 2018, 02:01:02 PM »
Hi DeanP28

Slow down -  At six weeks you should be at 35/45ROM max -   if you carry on like you have stated, you will rerupture you patella tendon again -  PATIENCE is required and listen to your knee - the next mile stone is 10/12 weeks when the ROM should be in the region of 60/75, but not more.

You have sustained a very rare and serious injury - ask your PT " have you seen and dealt with a RPT injury before"  - I bet not - continue to ask questions.

Forget football for quite a number of months - read some of the previous notes on this thread - lots of good information.  REMEMBER THIS IS NOT AN OVERNIGHT RECOVERY.   Don`t attempt to drive - sleep with a pillow between your knees.

Take care - JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline DeanP28

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #6451 on: January 05, 2018, 02:16:21 PM »
Cheers John that's good to hear.

I have been quite hard on myself thinking i should be a lot further along than I am so that's some good feedback. I am doing leg raises and knee slides as exercises at the moment and another to work on my hip as that gets sore. I am also down to one crutch outside and no crutches inside as per instruction from the hospital PT.

Is there any other exercises you have seen people say are beneficial at this stage? I am reading through the thread but there is a good bit or reading here :D

I don't think i will ever play football again I don't want to go through this again so watching will do  :D

I would imagine he has never seen this injury before. Next week will be my first time seeing him and he has asked me to bring some medical notes. He has been head physio for Bath and Munster rugby as well as Cambridge United FC so hopefully has some knowledge of the injury.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6452 on: January 05, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »
Hi DeanP28

If you kindly send me your e-mail address. I will send you some useful documentation to read .

Best   JohnK/ Manchester UK
[email protected]

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Invincible17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #6453 on: January 09, 2018, 07:57:31 PM »
Currently at 10 weeks post op. ROM up to 80 degrees, on crutches without brace at the moment. Starting hydrotherapy at 12 weeks and physio is up to twice a week, it's a long slog but getting there slowly! Can't wait to do some indoor cycling and swimming.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6454 on: January 10, 2018, 08:35:14 AM »
Reminder
Sent me a birthday card yesterday.
14 years since I did my RPT injury, 135 ROM

Cannot run after young ladies, but can walk and enjoy myself, although the knee is still painful at the end of the day. 

Be thankful I can manage a near normal life at 82 years of age.
Will continue to give advice to RPT patients.

Best/ JohnK/ Manchester UK

p.s.  wish I had the use of KneeGuru 14 years ago.

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6455 on: January 10, 2018, 10:13:45 PM »

Read the undermentioned article - most interesting and informative.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

http://www.drdavidgeier.com/patella-tendon-rupture/

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Penttithefinn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6456 on: January 23, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »
First post for me, but have been keeping an eye on those who have had a RPT at a similar time.

Firstly, there seems to be a different approach to surgery and rehab in Norfolk and Suffolk NHS trust hospitals.
Secondly I have a couple of questions.

Background: 60yrs age, healthy weight, good fitness, but have had knee pain (tendontious?) on and off though out my adult life.

Having ruptured my left Patella tendons on Friday 13th October 2017, I received surgery on 14th, re-connection of tendons, and circlidge wire insertion. I was heavily bandaged for a couple of days, but with no braces. I was encouraged to move my foot from day 1, and to do sitting isometric contractions as I much as I felt was  comfortable from week 2. Since then I have increased type and number of exercises as much as pain allows.
I was given the target of getting 90deg ROM by week 12 (actual 115deg) and from then have not used crutches indoors.
The date given for the removal of wires has been put back to week 18, due to NHS pressures!!!

Questions: 1, Is not having braces something new, an experiment, or due to the way in which the wires were fitted?
2, Is there a detriment in not having the wires out for another 6 weeks, apart from extended healing time for the scar?
 3, Will my knee be less stable when the wires are removed and for how long?

Thanks in advance
Penttithefinn

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6457 on: January 27, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »
Hi Penttithefinn

Welcome to the RPT thread of Kneeguru, read a number of the previous posts for clues and you will no double receive some answers.

However some tips for you

Do not be clever and try to walk with care - Listen to your Knee at all time, watch out for snow, ice and wet grass.

Sleep with a pillow/cushion between your knees.
Go to Amazon and get yourself a floor pedalcycle, worth its weight in gold, you can sit in your favourite chair and pedal away.

Please keep posting

Best/ JohnKManchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Invincible17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6458 on: January 28, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »
Penttithefinn your injury came a few weeks before me but I did not have wire fitted but was in a straight leg brace for 9 weeks. Not sure if there are different ways of treating the injury or if the wire makes a difference in how they rehab you? Iím now exactly 3 months since injury and donít use crutches in the house, but still using 1 crutch outdoors. Hoping Iíll be off crutches by the end of the week. I use the floor cycle a few times a day and have also started using the bike in the gym just doing 5 minutes at the moment. Will start swimming in a few weeks time and also my Physiotherapist said I should be ok to start driving now, so going to have a practice this week.
Does anyone use any knee support for walking after the injury? Thinking of getting one as got a holiday to Disney coming up next month, so will be on my feet for a bit.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6459 on: January 29, 2018, 10:17:37 PM »
Hi Invincible17

Just one tip - as you are going on a very long flight, get a seat with extra leg room - also
prebook wheelchair assistance at both ends - costs nothing, but worth it`s weight in gold.

Enjoy  JohnK/Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Invincible17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6460 on: January 30, 2018, 08:50:27 AM »
Thanks John. Iím going to Paris Disney so not such a long flight. Going end of Feb so hopefully will be mobile enough to get around. Will take a crutch just in case!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6461 on: February 01, 2018, 11:35:28 AM »
Hi RPT/RQT friends

Bringing to your attention that Lydl have got a special offer until 7/2 a floor cycle
£23  - just the job, sit in  your favourite chair and pedal away - costs on Amazon about £35 or $50

I found this to be Invaluable

JohnK/ Manchester UK
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 08:43:32 PM by John42 »

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 100
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
« Reply #6462 on: February 17, 2018, 09:04:10 PM »
Hi,

All seems fairly quiet on here which is good. Coming up to two years since double ptr in a few months and two and a bit months since the wires out. Still am making progress on recovery and feel the wire removal has freed things up a little. Work out consists of gym ⛹️  once or twice a week occasional yoga 🧘‍♂️ and circuit training on the weekend plus a bit of gardening today in the early spring sunshine ☀  . Today I felt I managed something that was beyond a slow jog and almost running just for a few meters.  I feel there is more to come. The point is recovery is slow but bit by bit it is still improving. Keep plugging away. Sending healing vibes what ever stage you're at! Cheers BAzcat
Knees together and take the fall

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 104
« Reply #6463 on: February 25, 2018, 04:02:11 AM »
Hi RPTers...Just a quick post, this time.  My bionic brace was a bust. Breg 20.50  - sure liked the color, which I got to select.  The thing was near impossible to put on, the straps cut into my thigh (trying to get it tight enough) yet it would slip down to my ankle more often than not.  [email protected]#[email protected]#  So, I'm on to the next one.  Here's a link:  [UPDATE...HAD WRONG BRACE...THIS IS THE ONE I TRY TOMORROW...HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL]

https://www.hely-weber.com/lower-extremities/global-knee/176-global-knee-7640.html

Looks like being a bit tenacious is an essential character trait for the journey I've been on.

Just read this after trying to find info for my friend who had two RPT ruptures and complications up the wazoo!  After 14, yes 14, surgeries on his knee, his docs gave up and removed the knee and placed pins in to hopefully allow his to finally walk, albeit straight-legged.  Anyway, I thought this article might be of interest to you here: [ETA:  I hope this doesn't discourage posters here...what I thought was helpful was providing caregivers with a bit of what this experience is like for many of us.]

https://thoughtcatalog.com/brandon-gorrell/2014/03/10-problems-only-people-with-knee-injuries-understand/

Always pleased to read of decent and better recoveries...wishing you all well...

~ Johanna ~
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:08:54 PM by Johanna »
Patella Tendon tear in middle sometime after TKR. TKR surgery 12/16/14; PTR diagnosed 10/23/15. Patella Tendon only 3/4 inch long - noted during surgery. Birth defect (?) 3 prior surgeries on  (2)LK (Kerlan/Jobe) 1 RK performed in late 70s. Patellas 1/2 reg. size subluxed - age 6

Offline Penttithefinn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6464 on: February 25, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »
Thanks Johanna,
 I don't know if it is just me, but I found the article quite amusing but also slightly depressing. So I am going to post a couple of things which have helped me cope.
It took me only minutes to find out that getting out of bed was not going to be easy, but looping a crutch over my foot was what I found most useful, be it getting out of bed, into bed, sitting on the toilet, getting into the bath etc etc. One thing that really bugged me was sleeping on my back for the first couple of weeks, waking regularly with a dry mouth and needing to drink. This of course leads to needing to pee regularly, and much to the amusement to my friends and family, I took great delight in telling everyone that my poor old Grandmother never had a pot to piss in, and there was I every morning with two pots of piss and a window to throw it out of(not that I did), how times change !!!
Personally I never had a brace fitted, just wires which have since been taken out, which have possibly helped me keep mobile. For me mentally the biggest achievement was the first time I walked to the pub, roughly a mile(2 crutches), then it was walking my dog into the woods (1 crutch), just two little steps to leading a normal life. I am sure others will agree trying to do "normal" things rather than just exercises, is what keeps you sane.
regards
Penttithefinn

support