Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1274785 times)

Offline Invincible17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 16
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6420 on: October 30, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »
Currently in hospital after having surgery this afternoon. Ruptured my patella tendon on an while running and hurdling something . Good to read some positive stories that have lifted my spirits a bit. Will be checking back here for advice as I go through my recovery. Thanks all.

Offline timfear

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #6421 on: October 30, 2017, 11:31:39 PM »
Good luck! It's kind of a scary place but in my experience it's been much better than anticipated. Just do the PT and work hard.

Offline Lairy75

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6422 on: October 31, 2017, 06:45:39 AM »
Hi Tim.   Just read your posts.   I'm 14 weeks post op and feel exactly the same as you.  Loads of progress but loads of swelling and can't run or jump.  I also get the leg locks etc.   One exercise I have been doing for 2 weeks is running on a trampette.   Amazingly there's no impact on the knees so I'm on there every night.  Good luck, will be interested to see how you get on. 

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6423 on: October 31, 2017, 07:00:24 AM »
Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru -  Keep reading some of the previous posts on this thread - lots of very good advice -  you have sustained a very rare and serious injusry with a long rehab process.  Keep asking questions - lots of buddies  out here to give you advice.

Where do you live?

Take care
JohnK/Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Invincible17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6424 on: October 31, 2017, 08:17:38 PM »
I live near Cardiff. Had surgery yesterday home today on crutches with knee brace. Bit of a struggle the moment figuring out how to sit and get backup etc but slowly getting there. Biggest problem so far is trying to stop my kids bumping into my knee 🙈. Some great advice on here though and will be logging in daily to pick up info

Offline Invincible17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6425 on: November 01, 2017, 07:58:46 AM »
First night sleep at home was good stayed downstairs in the sofa. One bit of help I'm after, has anyone got any tips on sitting back down without help? I can get up pushing off my crutches then walk around but unable to sit back down without help (someone picking my leg up). Lots of pain still at the moment but hoping that will ease over the next few days.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6426 on: November 01, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »
A further tip for you

Sleep with a cushion/pillow between your legs - takes the pain away from the injured knee

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Invincible17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6427 on: November 01, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »
Thanks john, i read that somewhere on here and did that last night. Had a good night sleep woke about 7 am. Got a piece of rope which I'm using to pick my leg up to get back on my sofa, slowly working it all out. Hopefully as my leg gets stronger I won't feel so much of a burden on everyone 😊

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6428 on: November 01, 2017, 11:32:31 AM »
Hi Invincible 17

Nest tip -    for future months to come - order yourself a floor cycle, then you can sit in your comfy chair and pedal away - costs about £35 from Amazon, you could be using it from month 4 approx

Best/JohnKManchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Invincible17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6429 on: November 03, 2017, 04:20:56 AM »
Lying awake at 4am due to pain in my knee, just took a couple of painkillers. Not sure if I've slept awkwardly or I've walked around too much today. Trying to walk around on crutches with my brace to do day to day things around the house e.g make food,tea,toilet, brush teeth etc. Would anyone say I'm overdoing it or is this about right. My knee feels sore every time i walk on it but the pain eases the more I walk.
Any advice much appreciated as the only advice I've been given by physio
 Listen to my body.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6430 on: November 03, 2017, 09:29:19 AM »
Hi Invincible 17

As we say so often - listen to your knees - it`s still early days,  lots of rest and take it a bit easier, but the situation will improve over time.

Best/ JohnK/Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline timfear

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #6431 on: November 03, 2017, 02:29:39 PM »
I'm not sure I'm posting these in the right place so if this is inappropriate for this forum I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

I'm still trying to find ways to hasten my rehab (without, of course, overdoing it). I've been doing a lot of elliptical and some sort of stair machine that looks like a reverse escalator. I enjoy these and get a great sweat which is a plus to me because I can't run, etc.

My gym had an exercise bike but it was in poor repair and they got rid of it. They have a bunch of recumbent bikes but I don't feel that gives me any sort of workout for my knee.

So, I've ben thinking about taking a spinning class once or twice a week. Does anyone see an issue with this? Any problems or cautions I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Offline Immy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #6432 on: November 04, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
Invincible - iím 16 weekís post surgery for left PTR, during the first 2 weeks I Spent most of my time on the settee with my bad leg up resting. After day 2/3 I reduced intake of painkillers (codeine)  I took  a couple before bed and again if I woke up in the middle of the night only, if I had taken them during the day I mightíve used up my daily dose and would have to wait.  During the first Week or two try and get as much rest/sleep as possible. Do ankle pumps and static quads (flexing quad muscle) as much as much as you can (if ok with your physio).  After the first 2 weeks I was able to get around much easier, with a lot less pain/discomfort.   I always had my bag handy, with meds, water bottle, hand wipes etc, so I didnít gave to get up as much. 
Pain is a good indicator of how your knee is feeling, but if your Taking strong painkillers and feeling better when youíre moving around, Itís kind of hard to tell whatís really going on..   You might want to try some  natural anti inflammatories like tumeric.  Donít know if thatíll help you at this stage, as youíll need something fairly strong. 
Hang in there buddy, as each day passes you should hopefully feel slightly better.

As for me, iíve Not been able to get past 115 degrees flexion for the past 3 weeks. I do stretches every morning and  do 2 sessions of cardio at the gym where I focus on elliptical trainer, cross trainer, bike and add 3 sets of legpress at a mighty 30kg on my repaired leg. I started back at work 4 weeks ago, so Iím also walking a total of 3 miles per day from Mon-Fri.  My walking speed has built up, no more limp as far as I can tell, on some of the days iíve Also been able to speed walk.  On other days my knee feels tight so itís hard going, especially if iíve Overdone it with the stretching. I took leave from work yesterday, spent the day resting, with my leg up, adding in a few massages, iím doing the same today, my knee does feel a lot better. 

Anyone else at a similar stage as I? Whatís your protocol / gym regimen look like?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:44:21 AM by Immy »
Aged 40. Left patellar tendon rupture on 09/07/17 playing football. Repaired on 12/07/17

Offline Invincible17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6433 on: November 04, 2017, 09:45:18 PM »
Thanks immy good to hear about your recovery. 1st day since the injury I haven't taken any painkillers so hopefully moving in the right direction. Haven't gone further than the end of my street on crutches, just trying to go for short walks to stop cabin fever! It's been 5 days since the op now so feeling positive as I can se small improvements.

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 100
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
« Reply #6434 on: November 14, 2017, 07:04:07 PM »
So have had a date  for the end of Nov the wire removal 😱
What is post surgery like in terms of mobility anyone? Particularly as it's both knees. Not particularly looking forward to it but hope it will feel a bit freer once they're out as definitely know they're there. At least last time I had surgery it wasn't in any shape or form preplanned 😬

Knees together and take the fall

support