Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1196863 times)

Offline thehoops

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6390 on: September 18, 2017, 04:40:44 PM »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:43:23 PM by thehoops, Reason: wrong thread »

Offline benjiackin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #6391 on: September 18, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »
JC55 thanks for the helpful post. I have been through your early posts which are extremely useful for me. I am now 11 days post surgery and can't put into words how much better I feel since last week. I can now hold my weight without the crutches when moving round the kitchen which feels like a big milestone reached. I am due to have the staples out next week, so 18 days post surgery. I think my OS from our last appointment is keen to give me some movement in the brace as soon as possible. Wondering when people generally started physio and how many sessions per week?  I have also ordered various supplements today on recommendation of a few people to see if this aids recovery (happy to try anything if this potentially speeds things up).

Normally go to the gym every day and play football 2 times a week, so massively missing that now, although doing some walking to the shop and back with the crutches feels good!

Ben
31 year old male. Ruptured patella tendon in a football match. Avid gym user.

Offline Immy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #6392 on: September 19, 2017, 12:46:17 AM »
Hi John, I'll check out amazon for one of them bikes.  I appreciate the help and  Thanks for the tip.  I'm sorry to hear you're still have issues 13 years later.   I should be able to tolerate the pain 💪🏼 But will purchase some vodka, I mean voltarol just in case 😊. 
Aged 40. Left patellar tendon rupture on 09/07/17 playing football. Repaired on 12/07/17

Offline Immy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #6393 on: September 19, 2017, 01:25:22 AM »
Hey Ben, glad to hear you're making some progress. 

I started going to the gym 4 weeks after surgery.  I've been told that training is good because it sends the signal to repair other tissues in your body (i.e. Training upper body OUGHT to aid healing of your knee/tendon due to the repair signal it sends out systemically.  I remember in my first couple of weeks, all I did was search YouTube and articles online to learn and try to copy those who recovered in record time. although you can learn from these videos/articles, the injury is specific to you in terms of where the rupture occurred, how it was repaired,  how good the repair is, how quickly you heal, how much scar tissue there is, post surgery protocol... so as john says 'you have to listen to your knee'. 

I started PT after 4 weeks and go every fortnight for a 30 min session.  But started doing stuff at home prior to that, like isometric quads, rear leg raises, side leg raises, ankle pumps. 
Aged 40. Left patellar tendon rupture on 09/07/17 playing football. Repaired on 12/07/17

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6394 on: September 19, 2017, 09:32:33 PM »
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-hydrolysed-collagen-caplets-1000mg-60004596?skuid=004596&&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgIPOBRDnARIsAHA1X3R-kVcEL0QH_lQWnB7ia8MoukzporSLACBmS3doWG3TaF-vplsEnRAaAqeJEALw_wcB

Not sure if it does any good but was recommended it, still taking the stuff. Always buy it when the offers on  :)

Quick question, if anyone reads this and did weight training on their leg after surgery....... at how many months post surgery did you start lifting Something reasonable on the leg press for example  100kg plus ......... cheers all.

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #6395 on: September 21, 2017, 09:23:08 PM »
In reply to sinkrate.....we are the same time frame post op and I was able to begin on the 45degree leg press at 225lbs for reps about the 6 month mark. I donít really put too much weight on but at this point in my rehab that seems reasonable enough to stress it without making it hurt too much. With that being said I am also 210lbs so my leg probably could handle much more but once again being cautious till much later.

Offline madvillain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 199
« Reply #6396 on: September 22, 2017, 03:41:29 AM »
JC55 thanks for the helpful post. I have been through your early posts which are extremely useful for me. I am now 11 days post surgery and can't put into words how much better I feel since last week. I can now hold my weight without the crutches when moving round the kitchen which feels like a big milestone reached. I am due to have the staples out next week, so 18 days post surgery. I think my OS from our last appointment is keen to give me some movement in the brace as soon as possible. Wondering when people generally started physio and how many sessions per week?  I have also ordered various supplements today on recommendation of a few people to see if this aids recovery (happy to try anything if this potentially speeds things up).

Normally go to the gym every day and play football 2 times a week, so massively missing that now, although doing some walking to the shop and back with the crutches feels good!

Ben

Dude...11 days and no crutch is great (way ahead of most people) and speaks to your level of athleticism and work after the injury already.   I had the duals so a bit different but at my two week followup with the surgeon I walked in and out only in the braces, no walker.  I've told this story many times but when he came to see me in the visiting room he very sternly asked "where is your walker"? and I said I ditched it a few days prior.  I'm not sure if he was impressed or concerned, probably a bit of both.

I have a very distinct memory of getting a little cocky and walking on wet Seattle turf around 14 days, locked in the braces of course, and I almost biffed it.  I'm not sure I would have been able to get up without assistance.

So patience, but push yourself when it's safe.  (aka non on wet turf :D)

heel slides, strap assisted raises, and iso sets will become your best friend over the next 4-8 weeks.  Also, the knee cap dance!  At weeks 8-12, maybe even earlier based on your reporting, you can try the rowing machine and then the recombination bike.  Around week 6-8, if you're still doing awesome you can ditch the brace.  If you can believe, I played a very halting game of tennis 6 months after the injuries, in a pair of smaller braces.  I could get going but I couldn't stop very well!

I'm almost at 3 years now and in some ways the injury improved my life and made me more athletic.  I do everything I did prior.  Jumping came back last, but there are days I'm at the gym and can clear 20" vert.  I could never jump for s**t anyways but it slowly came back.  Key is to build the power and ROM and then it's a mental game after that.  You'll get some odd pain (I always had some odd nerve pain from months 6-18)   Just keep working you're doing great.  Just keep that brace locked for a minute!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:46:44 AM by madvillain »

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6397 on: September 22, 2017, 11:11:18 PM »
@AroohArooh! Thanks mate.

I take it we are talking 2 legs here and now single leg press ?

I'm getting full extension, minus about 10 degrees on about 100kg with both legs. 
I've done about around 45kg single leg but feel I need to load it a bit more and have been advised to.

How's the stairs and walking down a slope coming along ?

Cheers mate

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 99
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
« Reply #6398 on: September 23, 2017, 05:48:50 PM »
Thiught i catchup with goings on on here.

Good luck all with recovery. Sounds like you're pushing through.

Johanna sad to read things didn't go as well as had hoped for. Prayers are with you.

Still waiting for an appointment to take wires out . Did doubleave ptr may 2016.

Not chasing it up as not so keen to go back for another option.

Still feel progress. Trying to run again is main aim and going down stairs is a bit slow but other than that pain free and life is relatively normal.

Main struggle is keeping up with going to gym. Lapsed a bit since summer hols but have to say a bit of rest helped the swelling go down and keep telling myself it was good to ease off ☺ am aiming for 3 days a week. How do others keep motivated?

Some days still think what on earth happened!

It gets easier over time

Best to all cheers j

Knees together and take the fall

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6399 on: September 23, 2017, 05:57:49 PM »
Sink rate would say it was at least a year before pushing a bit more with the weights and now just plug at what is comfortable. Everyone different.  I don't push past much more than 45kg on leg extension. Leg press plus 100 kg. Problem is calves got massive and hammies get tight. Need to make sure the quads are doing the work and leg extension is the only true exercise for this. Also basic quad setting is still important.  I find yoga good to release tightness particularly in lower back. I also find standing a long time causes pain in the shoulder blades! Apparently this comes back to the knees and how it affects posture. Have found core strength come on in last few months.    Cheers
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:59:58 PM by Bascat »

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #6400 on: September 27, 2017, 02:48:28 AM »
Sinkrate yea Iím talking about 2 legs on the leg press. With single legs I can do the 45lb plate on each side but not for many reps so I usually keep it around 35lb plates.

Bascat you are brilliant.....my shoulders have been so jacked up since this injury and I had a feeling it had to do with the knee alignment but I wasnít sure. My left side which is the UNinjured Side is taking the brunt of this. How did you even it out ??

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6401 on: September 27, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »
Arooh I did both my knees so I get an even pain 😂

Offline Joe Dublin Ireland

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6402 on: September 28, 2017, 10:04:42 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Didnt really want to join your cozy club but having slipped and fallen on holidays in Spain looks like i am now a fully paid up member!!!!

Had surgery 12 days after slip and was told it was a high grade, mid range tear of the Patella tendon ( think they call it an avulsion)

3 weeks tomorrow since surgery and wound has healed well ( although if i wear long trousers or even sleeping at night and the sheets rub it can be sore ) Knee still swollen and sore and not much feeling on outside of knee but told this was normal and should return over time.

leg in locked 0 position in Donjoy brace for 6 weeks before next meeting.

My OS is the top man in Ireland for Knee surgery and he is optimistic he will get me back on the road again.

He did say that he had to put wire in to stabilise the rejoin so suppose that will need to come out at some stage.

Sleeping with the brace on is a nightmare as i have never been able to sleep on my back and its difficult on your side.

Have got some great information and advice on the site so thanks to everyone posting.

Joe

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6403 on: September 29, 2017, 10:09:45 PM »
Joe - hang on in there mate, it's a rough road but you'll get there!

Bascat- thanks I'll plod on with the weights. Extensions are a real problem and something I need to work on. Feel like I can only hold around 5kg without uncomfortable feeling in range of movement. Need to work on it. Leg press I'm doing around 45kg single and just over 100kg double now, small no reps.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6404 on: October 04, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »
Hi Joe

WElcome to the RPT club -   you are doing well to read previous posts on this thread - lots of buddies out here to give you   answers and tips - sleeping is a problem for the first few weeks - suggest you place a pillow/cushion between your knees - not sexy, but will relieve the pain on your damaged knee  -  Keep posting - listen to your knee - remember It`s a very serious injury -  PATIENCE

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon