Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1261462 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6360 on: September 02, 2017, 07:45:03 AM »
Hi Johanna

Given the thread a kiss of life - value your comments.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Tehtoo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #6361 on: September 04, 2017, 04:26:55 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I had a full RPT November of 2011. Left leg during a pickup football game. My knee cap settled half way up my thigh as I sat on the ground dumbfounded and in immense pain. I was in great shape due to triathlons for 2-3 years and then crossfit for 2 years. Always had issues with tendonitis in my knees. I was also quad dominant. 

Ok, my recovery was smooth! I worked very hard 3 times a week at therapy (I had an excellent PT) and the other days I did exercises per my physical therapist. Eventually I did a lot of water work on my own before a big mile stone ... such as walking without a brace, jogging scripted, unscripted, and jumping. Listen to your  PT. They know your situation the best. Talk to them and be honest about your effort level.

I haven't posted for years but I wanted to tell everyone not to give up! Setbacks may happen but don't let them define you.  I have full use of my leg and and can do whatever I want. I have changed my workouts to reflect my rehab movements and am back to Olympic Lifting and other explosive movements. I swim a ton and use the concept 2 rower in place of running (I run about 5-8 miles a week). Kettlebells were a great alternative too. Once again follow your program but when you are unrestricted be flexible and adapt.

I was jogging at 10 months. Realistically it took 2 years before I stopped thinking and focusing on my knee. I obsessed with returning back to "normal" so it became a learned instinct to think about the position of my knee and how it felt. You have to learn to trust it again.

The best advice I received on this forum was to be patient with yourself. You may have a timetable in your head but your knee is in charge. It will let you know when you do too much (ache).... or when you have a legit setback.

The rupture happened when I was 39. I am now 45.

I look back on my RPT time and believe this forum was a blessing. It soothed my anger, frustration, and fears. The surgery is life changing. You decide if it is a positive or negative change.

About a year ago I had surgery for a meniscus tear in my other (none RPT) leg. After a 30 minute surgery I walked out of the car into the house. I was laughing on my way into the house. No big deal. It was 3 days of recovery and running in 6-8 weeks. It was super easy but it reminded me of what I went thru with the mother of all recoveries.

I hope this post helps someone on here looking for fears to be soothed and seeing the perspective of a RPT veteran post 5 years! God bless! It is hard to beat a person who never quits! Get to work!!

PS Thank you John42. Thank you for years of positivity and sage advice. Rock on brother!

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:57:37 AM by Tehtoo, Reason: clarification »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6362 on: September 04, 2017, 04:04:31 PM »
HI Tehtoo 

I do appreciate your kind words -  thirteen years down the line and still suffering,but livable and one must respect that knee at all times.

No, I cannot run after young ladies, do any kind of sport, but am able to get on with my life.

PATIENCE is essential, and did appreciate your post.

Best
JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline thaldMD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #6363 on: September 05, 2017, 04:23:09 PM »
Hey everyone -

Recently stumbled upon this forum- I'm just 2 weeks out from my surgery and get my stitches out tomorrow and hope to start my PT.

Feel I have a pretty unique story as to how i tore my patellar tendon - in the lake and got struck by a boat propellor that sliced into my leg down to the bone and cut the tendon right in half.

Looking forward to getting back to being able to walk and drive (luckily was left leg). I'm a football (american) scout so this has come at a pretty bad time lol. I know everyone says patience but I live a pretty active lifestyle and was wondering if any has an idea on how long it was before you could get out to say the gym again.... like going and just doing upper body stuff, Ive been doing some band / free weight work already while laying up in bed.

Look forward to any advice anyone can give as I look to go at this as hard as people allow me too lol....pain doesn't bother me as I've had plenty of sport injuries / surgeries before but nothing has been worse than being stuck in bed all this time lol.

I feel this a great thing for all these people that have suffered same injuries to come together and share experiences and advice.  Appreciate it and keep up the good work!

Offline Tehtoo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #6364 on: September 06, 2017, 01:36:05 AM »
After my stitches (2 weeks) came out I went to the gym. I loaded myself in the back of our Expedition and "crutched" myself over to the "arm bike". It was great to get a sweat going and feel semi normal. As PT started I was cleared to use the recumbent bike and eventually the stationary. As always listen to your therapist.

Good luck!

Offline thaldMD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #6365 on: September 06, 2017, 01:38:35 AM »
After my stitches (2 weeks) came out I went to the gym. I loaded myself in the back of our Expedition and "crutched" myself over to the "arm bike". It was great to get a sweat going and feel semi normal. As PT started I was cleared to use the recumbent bike and eventually the stationary. As always listen to your therapist.

Good luck!

Ya I think that's where I'm at - just want to get out and be able to move my body some and work up a sweat and like the idea of the "arm bike" used that before for a prior injury lol.

And will certainly follow up with all these questions with my PT when I can and go with what he says but wanted to get some of your guys opinions as well.

Thanks again!

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #6366 on: September 06, 2017, 02:47:55 AM »
Tehtoo.....thank you for your post. Seriously I needed that right about now cuz I was starting to worry with not being able to jog at 7 months.

It's those posts when ppl come back after recovering and let us know we will make it.

AroohArooh!!!!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6367 on: September 08, 2017, 05:30:57 PM »
Hi Thaldmd

Welcom to the RPT thread on KneeGuru - read your interesting post, however you have sustained a very rare and serious injury associated with a long rehab.  So forget about your sport activities as it`s going to be at least six months before you get to this stage.

However, it would be wise to read and study as many back posts on this thread to arm yourselves with questions.   
Most important - ask your PT - have you seen this type of injury before?

Keep posting

JOhnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline benjiackin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #6368 on: September 09, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »
Hi all,

3 days out of surgery since rupturing my patella tendon playing football 2.5 weeks ago.. Last night was in absolute agony, settled down a bit again today.  Was given conflicting advice from surgeons, first one told me I would be in a full cast and no weight bearing, but when discharged I was in a brace and told to try and weight bear and not lift foot up as this will put strain on the 'repaired tendon'

Hoping the pain gets easier from here on in! What painkillers was everyone given? I am on co codomol ans ibrophen.

Thanks in advance.

Ben
31 year old male. Ruptured patella tendon in a football match. Avid gym user.

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6369 on: September 09, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »
Hi all,

30 weeks post op now and living with knee rehab !

Things are going ok but it's taking a long time. Gym work is fine up to a fairly decent weight on the leg press biking and doing squats etc. All coming along alright.

Seems like jogging is a long way off though. Back in work and that causes the knee to ache and feel week after a long day.......

Stairs are still a big problem! Going up is ok but coming down is still a bit of a nightmare, doobale but feels week and the movement is not there.

As has been said before if your just starting out with this injury don't lose hope! Progress slowly and steady and don't rush things. Looking back I was a bit too cautious in places but that does not matter. push on the range of movement when you get the green light to step up in the varying degrees (it feels nasty but the tendon won't give way) just be careful, pressure was ok but obv stop if there is pain.

This forum has been great looking back to where I was, thanks to all that post.

I'm determind to get back to 70-80% one year on and will hopefully get there.

Summary, nearly 8 months on.
Stationary bike work is at a good level for 20 mins.
Leg press both legs is about 110kg, single leg around 37kg.
Walking is slow (ish) still but movement is nearly back to normal. Leg feels weak after a long day
Upstairs is unaided and ok
Downstairs, the bend is ok but the weight bearing is not there yet. Still need to hold banister for support

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6370 on: September 09, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »
Hi Benjiackin

Welcome to the KneeGuru RPT thread - scroll back and you will find lots of useful information - ask questions - and keep in touch -

Which part of Manchester do you live in?   Watch out with Co comodol - a good pain killer but it bungs you up.

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:09:01 PM by John42 »

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline benjiackin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6371 on: September 09, 2017, 07:49:01 PM »
I live in Glossop, had the operation at tameside.  Think I need some stronger painkillers to be honest, really struggled last night. Is that normal? How long does the severe pain last? This thread has been useful in finding information for this injury.

Ben

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6372 on: September 09, 2017, 10:36:54 PM »
Hi Ben

Can only suggest that you visit your GP or risk attending  A & E who might be able to help you over the weekend.

Best/ JohnK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6373 on: September 10, 2017, 08:10:37 PM »
Ben, about two / three nights of bad pain mate. You should have something like oxymorphone, I begged to go home with some and eventually got it. Didn't take many but it was needed at points.

Offline benjiackin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6374 on: September 11, 2017, 06:37:07 PM »
The pain settled down today 4 days post surgery- most relieved!  Back at the hospital on Friday for follow up apppointment so eager to have a look at the wound and see what he says. Also managed to go to the toilet today which was another concern!

I remember the surgeon saying he got my knee to 90 degrees on the opperating table when he had finished.

support