Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249068 times)

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 58
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6285 on: March 14, 2017, 01:37:43 PM »
 Thanks again Stuart. I do believe I would feel much better with a brace psychologically due to that safety measure...at least for a couple weeks. I'm still waiting on word if I will get one or not. Until then I'm without anything for now.

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 104
« Reply #6286 on: March 14, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »
Quick post via iPhone. Arooch, I can give you the name of my brace fellow. He's really experienced and I was given a decent hinged brace. I hope you don't go without one. So much risk.
Patella Tendon tear in middle sometime after TKR. TKR surgery 12/16/14; PTR diagnosed 10/23/15. Patella Tendon only 3/4 inch long - noted during surgery. Birth defect (?) 3 prior surgeries on  (2)LK (Kerlan/Jobe) 1 RK performed in late 70s. Patellas 1/2 reg. size subluxed - age 6

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6287 on: March 15, 2017, 01:10:13 PM »
Thanks Johanna....the insurance approved a brace for me and I got it yesterday but I went the whole day without it and it feels so good to be somewhat normal just with crutches. I'll probably just wear the hinged brace if I'm going somewhere all day or crazy crowded like the mall on a weekend. I must say that 1 day of just normal walking is nice and my leg muscles are working together ..especially the glute.

PS finally being able to get a haircut and look presentable once again made a huge difference in morale also.

Let's get through this everyone. Arooh Arooh!!!!

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6288 on: March 15, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
AA, good on you mate.

I'm still bumbling around in mine counting  the days until it gets extended that bit further!!
The fact I can see it getting frustrating as the leg feels stronger especially the last few days or so. I know I can do more and want to as well but will stick with the surgeons advice and stay in the brace.

All the best

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6289 on: March 16, 2017, 01:15:27 PM »
Sinkrate thanks and I'm glad you our leg is starting to feel strong...I known it's a delicate balance between pushing and pushing too hard.

Update: 2nd pt session and was able to leg lifts with some weight on (unsure but couldn't be more than 1 kilo) straight ahead and out to the side.. Also was able to get it to 82 degrees flexion by myself.

Positive vibes everyone and let's stay motivated (especially on those frustrating days)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6290 on: March 16, 2017, 05:18:24 PM »
Listen to your knee - remember, it`s not yet healed - take care ..

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline madvillain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 203
« Reply #6291 on: March 21, 2017, 09:09:39 PM »
It's amazing how my knees continue, even 2.25 years later, to feel better after hard workouts than with a week of complete rest.  It's strange, but I'm not going to complain. 

Do nothing for a week?  Knees feel sore and stiff.  Do squats, box jumps, run generally just use the knees  -- feel much better.

Hang in there everyone, keep working.

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #6292 on: March 21, 2017, 10:21:42 PM »
Thank you Madvillan for your input..
It is always great to hear from people who have recovered... it is moral boosting..

Still dealing with lower quad activation and few degrees of lag...
I agree 100% on the work out...
I did a decent work out today.. I even went on the stair master for 10 min and did many double steps to activate more of the quads and the knees felt great... however still the s.... lag. Hoping to get rid of it soon...

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #6293 on: March 21, 2017, 10:30:10 PM »
Madvillain, you have a good point. I had minor surgery, elsewhere, three weeks ago, and on Surgeons orders, took a week off work (No time off after my RQT), and three weeks of no exercise. My knee has been causing pain throughout that period; only now settling down as I ease back into exercising.
 Reinforces my belief that the longer one is inactive after surgery, the harder the recovery!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6294 on: March 22, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »
Good point every one...... I believe it can be summed up by what  I've heard from retired folks: "use it or lose it"

Update: week 7 but I have had a minor setback due to healing of the wound that got ripped open from the strap and healed incorrectly multiple times. I believe It had a minor infection and slight discharge.  No infected smell and not copious amounts of pus.  I have been  using triple antibiotic cream and after a few days of that I sutured  it myself with a medical suture kit.. In a few more days I will remove  the sutures and resume pt next week.  It probably would have healed by now but it's right on the front of the knee cap where it stresses the most.

Good luck everyone....   We'll all be better and killing the game in our respective field once again!  Arooh Arooh!!!

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6295 on: March 28, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »
Hope this helps someone in the future flicking through trying to find some history. Quick update :-
Brace opened up to 60 degrees. Can get the leg to about 45-50 degrees currently. Quad muscle seems to be coming back to life slowly. Hard physio work starts from here on in.
Regime is a further 30 degrees every two weeks and then removal of brace.
Knee feels very tight when I hit the limit it wants me too, I've not pushed it at all until I see the physio though. No pain at all, just stiff.

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6296 on: March 30, 2017, 08:17:48 AM »
48hrs after opening up the brace  and managed to get to 60 degrees.
Must admit it was not a nice experience. Knee felt really tight almost fixed, but pushed a little bit at a time and got there. Stretching it for a few mins every hour, very slowly. Massaging the kneecap and getting it moving again was key.

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #6297 on: March 30, 2017, 10:43:21 PM »
Good news sinkrate
You must be at 10 weeks now. I suggest rowing and get on the bike and just go back and forth. No weight. Also put your feet up on the wall and do very light sliding down and bring back up with the other leg.( using the gravity to do the bending job).
And moving the patella to loosen up. ( gently .. the tendon is probably healing very well)..
Good luck..

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6298 on: March 31, 2017, 03:34:30 AM »
Glad to hear everyone is doing well. I took out the sutures after 1 week of immobility and am now up to 100 degrees flexed by the pt . On my own still only to about 90 but I'll take it. It's so nice to almost be able to sit like a normal person again hahah.

Hope everyone stays strong and keep up the hard work.

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6299 on: March 31, 2017, 01:37:49 PM »
Thanks Chiropractor, 8 weeks currently. doing as many exercises as I can during the day but only knee bending to loosen it up currently.