Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1248927 times)

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 103
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6270 on: March 08, 2017, 08:52:11 AM »
Hi Diane, great news that the knee is looser and better movement.  I am glad that the surgery was a success.
ArroAroo..AA. Hang in there you will recover from this injury. Again, all new research are for more aggressive rehab. Even with rehab, you will find that the muscles take time to fire, rebuilt and so on.
I am at 20 weeks now. I get around well. Going to the gym 3 times a week. And do leg press, lunges , bike and minimum knees extension exercises. No issue with walking however going down the stairs still a bit more challenging.  By challenging I mean that I have to slowly go down. My quads still has a lag which I am working on it. So some straight leg raises become a bit more difficult and some pain on the medial side of the leg. As you will experience that lower quad activation and getting the extension lag during leg raise or descending stairs are the more difficult part of this injury and rehab.
My suggestions for you is to start on quads contractions and leg raises. ( a bit at the time). At 6 weeks , I was trying to walk without  a brace ( again this was me and I don't say you should do it) I am just explaining what I did. My ROM was around 80-90 around 6 weeks. ( again I do treat patients in the clinic for acl injuries all the time so I knew when to push a bit and when not to).
You need to fire those quads sooner than later .
Have patience... it will take some time. ..

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 100
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
« Reply #6271 on: March 08, 2017, 08:03:40 PM »
Thanks Diane,
Most interesting. Yep in the UK.  They've said the choice is mine to make and can have it if i want it. so don't think it's to do with has savings but get where your coming from. It's the PT who thinks the risk of surgery isn't probably worth it and has a goodd reputation for all things knees. I have a slight wire protrusion on my left but my right is less palpable . Knees do feel tight going down stairs etc. But just don't know if this is down to the wires or not. I really don't like the thought of further surgery and will set me back although it will be day case so won't have the torture of beings hospital bound for 2 weeks.

My biggest urge is to run and hop but ain't happening yet. Wondering how to get from  fast walking to a jog. 😂

AA you sound in a relatively good place just don't push too hard. It took quite a few weeks off passive flextion to get to even 90 and the knee was very stiff and tight. Good luck

Good to hear you coming on Chiro you seem less frustrated. I found the gym helps enormously.  Just missing my rugby and team sport now.
Knees together and take the fall

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #6272 on: March 09, 2017, 02:43:51 AM »
Thank you chiropractor and bascat.....today I did another series of firing off the muscles quickly and was even able to do 10reps of straight leg raises. I am dreading the stairs actually because it is such an integral part of my job and I need to be able to do it efficiently. We'll all get through this and return better if we want. I'm just grateful for this forum and all the support here.

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 104
« Reply #6273 on: March 09, 2017, 06:16:14 AM »
Hi RPTers...new and recovering...:-)

It's been quite a while since I posted here...caught up with the thread.  I don't want to be too repetitive for the new participants...you might find it useful to search out my prior posts, but for a brief recap:

I'm in SoCal (AroohArooh)...retired and live near Palm Springs.  I have a congenital history of deformed knees.  My 5th knee surgery (4th on my left knee) was a cadaver patella tendon graft.  While my family is athletic, I've not been able to be due to weird behaving knees which dislocated at the least provocation.  My first knee surgeon said I'd be wheelchair bound by 25.  I avoided that but could do little but sit and walk most of life...stopped running at eight years old.  Knees would even dislocate in the water, which I was told was very rare.

OK...on to how things are going.  I'm grateful I was able to walk in my locked hinged brace and work on ROM week by week with it unlocked in 10 degree increments. 

Last time I posted, I was going to check to see the degree of ROM I had.  It was 135 with ease...I'm sure going for more, I could have achieved about another 4 degrees.  I'm surely grateful for that achievement, since my OS was most reluctant to assume I'd have any more than 90 degrees. In fact, he stated that the odds of the surgery being successful were less than 50%.  But, gaining ROM has been the least of my difficulties throughout all of the knee operations I've sustained.

Of late, my major challenges remain SLRs...so much harder without the brace (and I have about a 4 degree lag which my OS said might be permanent since the rupture was discovered so late after the fact) and step ups...can only do 4 inches.  I tell myself I've not been able to lead with my left leg in over 60 years...to be gentle with my progress.  Yet, I've got the right knee to go...hope it can be replaced in May before my insurance gets too wacky (thanks to the [email protected]$# election in this country!).  There was a bit more ease with the step ups this last time, and like so much of this particular recovery, I've ascertained that it is mostly psychological...having confidence in my muscle memory.  I've been able to do some mini squats which were totally out of the question before the tendon replacement; my LK was so unstable.  I'm trying to celebrate what progress there is.

I can especially relate to working on firing up the lower quads.  It seems like the last to build back, or in my case build ever.

I have concerns about depending on the left leg while fixing my RK. At least, if it goes like a normal knee replacement, I should be able to walk some with both legs while recovering, however.  I'm going to ask my OS if I need to have my old brace on hand at first.  The last thing I want to do is put my LK at risk.

I see my doctor tomorrow for the first time in about 3 months.  My over all fitness took a hit after I hit a real emotional low during a period in which I experienced the loss of my two beloved pets and an election that had come to mean something to me this time around.  I confess that I lost momentum as a consequence and am trying to get charged up again, reduce the lbs and be more diligent about my home exercises.  (I see my PT once a week, since it is quite a distance (160 miles round trip) from my house.  I welcome warmer weather.  Spoiled SoCal gal that I am, I tend to be more active when it isn't so cold out...I know that is quite the statement posting here with folks who live in such cold climates.  Out here in Beaumont, we've had many evenings in the mid30s...ugh! lol. 

BTW...regarding wire removal, mine was taken out about 3 months after the initial surgery without incident, thank goodness.

Wishing you all mobility gains/freedom...

~ Johanna ~
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:40:49 PM by Johanna »
Patella Tendon tear in middle sometime after TKR. TKR surgery 12/16/14; PTR diagnosed 10/23/15. Patella Tendon only 3/4 inch long - noted during surgery. Birth defect (?) 3 prior surgeries on  (2)LK (Kerlan/Jobe) 1 RK performed in late 70s. Patellas 1/2 reg. size subluxed - age 6

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6274 on: March 09, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »
Hi guys good to hear the recovery is going well.

I'm still stuck at 30 degrees and my next appointment to move to 60 degrees will be 7 weeks post operation. I've lost a few days here and there due to appointments.

It seems a long time to me, I was put in the 30 degree brace 2 weeks after the op. I don't want to push things but my leg is feeling stronger now (currently 5 weeks post op) but a little worried about spending just over another 2 weeks in the 30 degree brace.

I'm getting around as much as I can but also been told to rest up and let it heal ! Bit of a catch 22.

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 100
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
« Reply #6275 on: March 09, 2017, 08:15:25 PM »
Hang in there Sinkrate. Between 6 and 12 weeks was the most frustrating. Good luck.

Good to hear some progress Johanna.
Knees together and take the fall

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #6276 on: March 09, 2017, 11:14:44 PM »
Sinkrate, you will get there, don't worry too much. Although I can't talk I has my first post op. Physio and I was told to rest and ice more to let the leg heal and the swelling go down but I'm so terrified I will lose my muscle strength and bend that I am desperate to get back to building strength. So easier to preach than practice.

Johanna, look very to hear how it  is all going. Xxxx

Bascat, re the removal. That slightly protruding thing you refer to, can you lean on it  on the ground? If not it might cause issues getting up from the ground down the line. My physio was the same as yours for severall months about not t having the cable out and then too dreaded the thought of  cutting my leg open again etc. But it is totally different -back to working from home within days then I back into London for work next week.

Sending warm hugs to everyone else!

Dx
Patellar tendon complete rupture,
12/01/2016,
Didn't notice my 4 year old's microscooter,planted my foot and went flying, schoolbag, workbag, catbowl, BANG!

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 104
« Reply #6277 on: March 10, 2017, 12:00:59 AM »
Hi folks,

I just returned home from my OS appointment and another round of PT.  At my PT session, they had considered having me increase step ups to 6 inches.  I told them I was just becoming at ease with the 4 inch level...so I increased the set frequency and I guess we'll give it a go next week.

I wanted to post here before I forgot what my doctor explained about my quad strength.  I believe it will be of use to others frustrated by building it.  For me, my patella tendon is a bit longer as a consequence of the graph (it was an achilles cadaver).  He said that our quads are made up of tubular cells (sarcolemma) and that because of the delay in my surgical fix and the length of the tendon, the quad is burdened to a greater degree.  For me, I can expect a lifelong weakness in that muscle now.  My lag is more like 10 degrees, actually.  However, I do think there will be more strength with that leg after the TKR for my right, which now due to significant limitations puts major constraints on rehab activities.  I wish to reiterate that this is the circumstance for me, personally.  Most of you are quite fit, and many years younger.  Also, your repair was of your actual tendon, while mine was too damaged for a repair to produce a viable result.

Given that, he felt that he could justify the hospital rehab setting for my remaining surgery.  He stated he could mention the residual weakness in my left leg as a major element of caution for where I would best be treated.  He agreed with me, that if my left leg seems pushed right after the RK replacement, it might be advisable for me to wear my hinged brace, completely open, as a means of support.  Again, the last thing I want to do is negatively impact my left leg recovery.

He was supportive of my concerns about my insurer stepping up and delivering the benefits due me.  You might recall the numerous battles I had trying to obtain uninterrupted home health services for both PT and home health worker visits.  I'll hear back shortly when I go in for this round.  Back to my tried and true motto:  Hope Springs Eternal!!

Onward and upward RPTers..."slow and steady wins the race..."  TM Aesop's Fable The Tortoise and the Hare.

~ Johanna ~
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:03:48 AM by Johanna »
Patella Tendon tear in middle sometime after TKR. TKR surgery 12/16/14; PTR diagnosed 10/23/15. Patella Tendon only 3/4 inch long - noted during surgery. Birth defect (?) 3 prior surgeries on  (2)LK (Kerlan/Jobe) 1 RK performed in late 70s. Patellas 1/2 reg. size subluxed - age 6

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6278 on: March 10, 2017, 11:42:26 AM »
Cheers all, think I'm just getting a bit parinoid with not moving it now as it's starting to feel a bit stronger. I'll continue counting the days.

Good luck with everything !

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6279 on: March 12, 2017, 03:47:35 AM »
hey Johanna fellow So Cal citizen lol....wow you're definitely a trooper and handling the lemons life gave you. I really hope this time around is much better for you.

Sinkrate we're on the same post op and i believe roughly about the same place in our recovery.....today i was able to do 3 sets of 12 reps of straight leg raises and fired my quads all day. I honestly feel like i can push my knee to bend more quite easily but I am also trippin out in my own mind.

I have no idea what the wire or cable everyone from the UK gets placed in for, but that wasn't even discussed to me as an option and by the sounds of it, i am very happy that it wasn't. I hope everyone is doing well and we will all get through this.

Arooh Arooh!!!

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #6280 on: March 12, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »
Hi everyone
Finally back to full work seeing 20-30 patients a  day which is fantastic for the knee rehab. All the bending, kneeling, one leg stands that I have to do. The knee gets a bit stiff after a long day .since after work I play with my 4 kids for a one hour or two. Showering them and putting them to bed. My lower quads started to fire ( a bit at the time) .still along way to go to get the full lower quad back...still few degrees of lag. Which I use ems and high vibration on it .
Funny story that few days ago , I saw a patient who had done his acl repair 5 months ago. Still having problems with his knee .a big lag on his knee so he is seeing me to see what I can do. I have treated many acl repairs in my 16 years in practice ( never a patellar tendon). The most common thing that they say ( wow you had an injury too ..good thing it was not your acl) I just laughed and kept quiet.  .....

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6281 on: March 14, 2017, 01:26:23 AM »
Chiropractor congrats on getting back to work! I'm ready to be doing something also hahah.

Update: Today i had my first actual PT session(last one was en Evaluation) and i was able to bend it to 70 degrees!! I am 6 weeks officially tomorrow 3/14. The pt said she does not want me using the straight leg immobilizer and limited with the crutches. I've been using the crutches to assist my good leg from taking the brunt of all the work.

The problem is i still do not have the hinged brace yet. How important is it to limit the degrees of flexion at this point? My Dr said to start the process but was vague and just said take your time and no running or jumping. My PT seems like she doesn't believe in the limited of the range and wants it to do whatever it's gonna do. She truly is interested in my well being and genuinely cares but I am still worried she might not be well versed in it. I took everyone's advice and asked her directly and her direct answer was "in the past 16 years I've seen it all".

I don't know how reassured you would feel by hearing this with then being set free without a brace, but to be honest i am hesitant and nervous to re-injure this.

PLEASE I HOPE SOMEONE THAT HAS NOT HAD A BRACE AFTER THE INITIAL IMMOBILIZATION ANSWER BACK SO I KNOW I AM NOT ON AN ISLAND LOL.

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #6282 on: March 14, 2017, 01:56:39 AM »
AA. My PT had me ditch the brace as soon as I walked into his facility, and he is very experienced. I chose to use it in public because people tended to give me more space when they saw it. I also used it when I started hiking again, at six weeks, and all that winter in the snow. Yes Chiro, we do get snow in Vancouver, especially on the North shore mountains!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6283 on: March 14, 2017, 02:20:26 AM »
Stuart thankyou! i remember you speaking of hiking with it but i did not recall you went without your brace most of the time. Thanks for the reply

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #6284 on: March 14, 2017, 03:09:08 AM »
AA. Wouldn't say I went without it most of the time, as I did not find it that much of an encumbrance and it was something of a security blanket. I did ditch it completely for workouts is the point. I confess to having ignored conventional wisdom, and my Surgeon, on many occasions but felt it prudent to pick my battles. Wearing the brace was not that great an inconvenience and gave me a reason to dress more casually,(shorts) than I might have felt compelled to do otherwise. Hinged brace I would say is crucial, providing the security of knowing that maximum flexion is limited.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

support