Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1248648 times)

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 109
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6255 on: March 03, 2017, 12:52:28 AM »
Hello All,

Well here I am just over a year on and recovering from more surgery. They opened my knee back up to take out what I now know was a conglomerate of high strength knotted cable, scar tissue and new bone fused to it. So I'm now hoping I have an improved path to recovery. Totally different experience to post the total rupture but still painful (open surgery 2 days ago). I do already feel like a vice has been removed from my knee so I'm feeling hopeful. I hope everyone is well.

Diane x
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:54:29 AM by diane72 »
Patellar tendon complete rupture,
12/01/2016,
Didn't notice my 4 year old's microscooter,planted my foot and went flying, schoolbag, workbag, catbowl, BANG!

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6256 on: March 03, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
Sure it's done the trick and wishing you a speedy recovery

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #6257 on: March 04, 2017, 02:07:44 AM »
Today I had my first evaluation with my PT....she was able to bend my leg to about 40 degrees and insisted that she wants me to try to regain my strength asap and be able to do a straight leg lift.....I'm very scared and have seen mixed reviews on this board about doing straight leg lifts. Should i be trying to aim for that already at just about 4 weeks post op. I see the Dr on the 6th and i'll ask what he says i should do, but i have a feeling he's gonna say to go on right ahead and start to work it. My question is to anyone else should I go ahead and begin already to try to bend it some and tighten my quad, or is that a no no. I am unsure if my PT has actually dealt with a case like this before.

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #6258 on: March 04, 2017, 04:57:51 AM »
AA, for your own peace of mind, you have to ask her. If she knows the injury, then trust her knowledge, and experience.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #6259 on: March 04, 2017, 04:58:22 AM »
AA, for your own peace of mind, you have to ask her. If she knows the injury, then trust her knowledge, and experience.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6260 on: March 04, 2017, 07:09:05 AM »
Hello All,

Sinkrate-thanks for the positive thinking-I'm already beginning to feel it will make a big difference !

AA- from quite early on I was asked to try do a straight leg lift. I couldn't at all and thought it was ridiculous. I later realised they were using it as a measure of progress as if they didn't ask how would they know. I started with a very large towel under the knee and half lifts -it killed me-but then gradually the towel got smaller and I was able to do the full lift. Follow Stuart's advice.

D x
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:10:39 AM by diane72 »
12/01/2016,
Didn't notice my 4 year old's microscooter,planted my foot and went flying, schoolbag, workbag, catbowl, BANG!

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6261 on: March 04, 2017, 09:04:11 AM »
AA - hi mate, like Stuart and a few others have mentioned, just ask straight up if they have dealt with it before. I'm over in the UK and have spoken to two good  physios now who won't actually start treatment until the surgeon gives the ok. Then expecting all hell to break loose !! Lol
It seems a lot of people have different recovery techniques sometimes dependent on the type of operation and the repair that was carried out.
Again just my limited experience of my situation, may help though. Good luck

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6262 on: March 04, 2017, 05:52:31 PM »
Thank you guys for the feedback....the problem is I see the Dr on the 6th, and i'm not scheduled to see the PT until the 13th (busy place apparently lol). They said they will give me a call if something opens up earlier.

So that leaves me with a 1 week grace period (5th week post op) to work on my own until i see the PT.

I actually just tried a straight leg lift and was able to keep good form without the brace and lift it approximately 3 inches(almost 8 cm). This was just experimental to gauge where i'm at but for the next 2 days i suppose i'll lay off it until i get confirmation from the DR on Monday.

But so far Diane has confirmed she was told early on to attempt it. Was anyone else told this Specifically regarding straight leg lifts at this point in the game ( 4 weeks post op).

Sorry to beat that dead horse but I just want to know from other people what their course of rehab was. I will also ask what my Dr believes is good when i see him.

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6263 on: March 07, 2017, 03:21:30 AM »
Well i'm back with an update....my Dr. told me that the tendon tore from the bottom of the knee cap so he just anchored it back in and added some stitches...i do have the operation report also.

This is where I'm confused at: He told me today at 5 weeks that I'm going to get a hinged brace in a few days and he's gonna open it up to 90 degrees. That is the total polar opposite of what I have read on this forum so far. From others here they started with a much lower (30 degrees or so) setting. Is there really that much of a difference in my injury or am I dealing with another Dr that doesn't fully have a working knowledge of recovery past surgery???

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 100
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
« Reply #6264 on: March 07, 2017, 08:38:47 PM »
Arooh - I wish they had moved mine early. The pt didnt follow the surgeons advice in doing this and resulted in massive quad atrophy which has been a slow recovery. At 10 months on my quads are still not always firing correctly. Wouldn't say it's the polar opposite of what is on here. There are some who would favour a more aggressive approach and there are diffrent types of repair. Talk it through with your doctor. The injury is scary but a lot of it is in the mind.Take it easy and slowly and no need to push too hard if you don't feel comfortable . Good luck. 

Knees together and take the fall

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 100
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
« Reply #6265 on: March 07, 2017, 08:47:40 PM »
Clinically discharged by the registra today at about 10 months. They have left the door open for the next 3 months if I decide to have the wires out. I have good rom and SLR both with a little lag. I am still having pt and dont know at what point this will stop. PT says not worth surgical risk etc. as wires not affecting anything. Any thoughts on pros and cons of wire removal welcome.

I've laid off the gym this week as have had stinking cold back on it tomoz. 

Cheers

BC

Knees together and take the fall

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6266 on: March 07, 2017, 10:26:35 PM »
Thank you so much for the encouragement to get past the mental block. Will do currently am working as I type this. Thanks

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6267 on: March 08, 2017, 12:09:05 AM »
Hi Bascat,

Where are you based? In the UK my gut is they tell people it's not worth removing them because they want to cost-save.

I had high strength cable in mine not wire and although I could get ROM, I was still struggling with steps downwards and could feel something sharp just beneath the skin on the kneecap, so couldn't lean on it at all without pain and the NHS was saying not to bother removing it. More than a year on from my accident I went private. They did open surgery last Tuesday and I have to say it is as the old saying goes but with a twist 'Don't know what you've got til it's gone' (sorry sad 80s rock bands are now going around my mind with that tune). Anyway I have been amazed it literally feels like I've had a vice removed from my knee, I think I had just grown accustomed to how much muscle strength I had to use to get up stairs and that 'lead'-like feeling I had I just assumed was due to the accident but I now realize it was those damn cables I was actually having to work against. The private guy said he couldn't take all the cable out as much of the tendon has now regrown around it and it risks damaging the tendon, but he took cut out a cable conglomeration around the kneecap and the difference is amazing. Although I had 130 ROM, I now feel the movement is much 'free-er', if you know what I mean.

Everyone's experience is different but hopefully it helps!

AA, you will know yourself what degree is big enough for you. When my surgeon went to the first 30 degrees I was even struggling, so I tried locking the brace and building strength with it locked and then after a few days opened it up gradually, building strength a day or two at a time. I did the same with each new 30 degrees it was opened by, built it up over some days. You will know yourself if you are struggling just lock it to a tighter position (there are plenty videos on you tube that will instruct you on your specific brace).

Diane  :D
12/01/2016,

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6268 on: March 08, 2017, 12:11:51 AM »
P.S. Bascat, although they removed the cable in the knee area, one of the biggest differences I have felt has been on the quad pull much higher up, not sure why.
12/01/2016,

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6269 on: March 08, 2017, 03:36:16 AM »
Thank you Diane for your guidance....I started firing my quads 3sets of 50reps and even attempted a few straight leg raises but I was thinking about doing that later this week after a few days of waking the muscles up. I was also bending it to about 30 degreees or so.

I read my operation report saying the dr bent it to 60 degrees without placing any stress on the repair so I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about going through some motion at this point.