Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1248823 times)

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 104
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6150 on: August 31, 2016, 08:03:38 PM »
Hello to the RPT clan...

Norene, I am going to use that line the next time anyone asks how I am doing.  I've not felt 'entitled' to do so for the most part because I've had so much less pain with this compared to you all.  Not sure why, except perhaps all my previous knee surgeries deadened a number of nerves in my knee and/or I had an achilles tendon transplant so I didn't have to experience healing of a frayed patella tendon.  But, I fully share in all of the uncertainty and the slow going of getting moving, especially since I was in such lousy shape prior to this debacle.

My big achievements this week...as in oh brother...but hey, I'm going to celebrate whatever the heck I can accomplish, since it allows me lifestyle options as opposed to being a home sitting recluse...I can now get up OK from a handicap level toilet...and I can get up from a regular seat (or at least the booth seat I sat in at Panera's, a salad dining chain out here)...at least some tangible improvement.  I've still been wearing my hinged brace fully open while out in public.  I continue to try and go brace free at home. 

I've invited a friend, the one who was so very much ready to support me from the very beginning - we were teaching buddies for years, to come over Labor day weekend.  She's going to go with me to the pool Sunday, before the kiddie hours start, and use the lift to go in and I'll trying walking.  I am hopeful that it goes without a hitch...something fun to do in addition to the tired old home exercises.

It will be good to go onto out patient PT as soon as my OS will let me.  I would like to maximize my rate of progress and be well on my way once again.  In the meantime, I am waging the war against over eating...have to win it too...lots more at stake protecting my repaired knee.

Take care everyone...

~ Johanna ~
Patella Tendon tear in middle sometime after TKR. TKR surgery 12/16/14; PTR diagnosed 10/23/15. Patella Tendon only 3/4 inch long - noted during surgery. Birth defect (?) 3 prior surgeries on  (2)LK (Kerlan/Jobe) 1 RK performed in late 70s. Patellas 1/2 reg. size subluxed - age 6

Offline Norene

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #6151 on: August 31, 2016, 08:31:51 PM »
Johanna - Hooray for victories!  After I got out of my cast we changed all the toilets in our house to the comfort height ones.  I had too much trouble trying to use the regular height ones.   I still go for the handicap stalls as they are much easier to use.

No matter what led up to it you still had patellar tendon surgery so you are entitled.   Hope you have a great Labor Day weekend and that the pool walking goes well so you have a new exercise to do.

PT went well for me yesterday.   The bursa on the side of my knee are swollen and inflamed.   My PT guy thinks that maybe I am doing the stairs too much now that they are easier.   

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #6152 on: September 08, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »
Hello all my RPT friends.  3 years out!.  Three years ago today I was enjoying a beautiful late summer day while competing in track and field events against other men in my age group. We have a state sponsored event called Senior games (open to all 50+ years or older) and I was doing rather well...at least until the high jump.  I know what people think...why were you doing something like that? Well, I've always been an athletic person (played basketball and football in college) and I missed competing.  I exercise quite a bit and was 25 pounds under my college weight.  Well, I guess all those years of physical activity took a toll...OS thinks I had micro-tears from all the jumping, twisting and contact my knees took over the years.  Anyway, one moment I was approaching the bar and the next I was lying on the mat not able to stand-up (just writing that took me back for a second and I got that sick feeling in my stomach).  After the initial shock I was so mad at myself. I second-guessed what motivated me and I was really down on myself...upset that perhaps it was vanity, showing off, etc that led me to compete.  Eventually, I forgave myself and discovering this forum a few days after surgery was a blessing.  I had surgery the day after my injury (you can read my posts to see how I rehabbed) and I can happily report that I'm almost 100%.  There are weeks that go by where I don't even think about my knee...I hike, swim, bike with absolutely no pain.  The only thing that I try to avoid is squatting for too long (OS said I have slightly torn meniscus in both knees).  I have full range of motion and strength in my knee.  I am pleased with my outcome and attribute it to having a good OS and PT.  I did what they asked but I also took charge of my own recovery.  I educated myself, asked lots of questions, listened to my knee and did my at-home exercises. For all of you going thru rehab now, YOU too will get better, although we all experience a different journey.  Celebrate your victories and be kind to yourself.  I wish to thank John for all of his efforts on keeping this forum going over all these years...you have helped LOTS of people...including me.  Thanks also to all the RPTers who went thru this with me...your support was invaluable.  I wish you all peace and happiness, Jerry
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6153 on: September 13, 2016, 12:30:19 AM »
Hello to the RPT Clan...

Last week I managed to try out the lift at the pool, and walked back and forth for about twenty minutes.  It was terrific being back in it before the end of the season.  I got three visits in last week and if the weather holds I try to continue it indefinitely.  (Yesterday, I laid low...pulled a muscle near my shoulder blade...how inconvenient...just another reason to lose this [email protected][email protected]!$ weight.)

I see my surgeon next week and will be glad to learn of the next phase of my treatment plan...hopefully some out-patient PT.  I am going to the brace fellow and paying for new straps for it.  I'm not using the brace these days, however I want it to work should I feel the need for support in the future...and for sure, should that be necessary when I get my right knee done.  (When I do wear it, I have it fully open.  My PT advised me that it would keep me from falling even in the open position.)  I also have to order a new brace that I wear on my right knee.  It's worn out from the 24 hour/day use I put it through during the initial weeks after my surgery on my left knee.  And, it will be at least May I believe before I can get that knee done.  Trying to keep everything properly supported. 

I've continued to do leg raises, heel slides and quad sets.  I feel like I've made some decent gains in ROM.  We shall see.

Sending you all best wishes...

~ Johanna ~
Patella Tendon tear in middle sometime after TKR. TKR surgery 12/16/14; PTR diagnosed 10/23/15. Patella Tendon only 3/4 inch long - noted during surgery. Birth defect (?) 3 prior surgeries on  (2)LK (Kerlan/Jobe) 1 RK performed in late 70s. Patellas 1/2 reg. size subluxed - age 6

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6154 on: September 14, 2016, 04:07:40 PM »
Hi folks

Having been away for a weeks sunshine, I have been reading up various new posts.   

I often state, get a floor cycle - you can sit in your favourite chair and pedal away - for my friends in the U K, Lidl are offering them again in all their U K stores for £24.99.  from tomorrow, Thursday 15th September.

Improves your ROM no end.

Similar price on Amazon.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Best
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6155 on: September 27, 2016, 10:57:42 PM »
Hi RPTers...

Well, while things have improved, I am waiting on a call to see if I have to cancel my out patient PT evaluation.  It seems between the OS and the PT office someone dropped the ball to put in for the referral.  HMOs are the pits!  ...the pre authorizations in particular!  I thought I was all done having to micro manage all of this, since I was no longer able to receive home health services.  I had planned on updating where things are at for me, but I'll wait because I am just so annoyed right now.  And, to think I have another knee yet to go...just such a bother.  Hope everyone else is having a better day than me...pity party here I come.

~ Johanna ~

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6156 on: September 30, 2016, 03:50:56 AM »
Hi RPT clan...

I was able to work out an emergency authorization; so I went for my first out patient PT visit yesterday after all.  I really like this PT.  He's so compassionate as well as competent.  He's the director of the facility.

He was surprised I had to wait so long for my out patient work, but then when I stepped him through the length of time it took before I could drive, and it is a long way from where I live, it made a bit more sense to him.  However, my OS did require a six week interval after the wire came out before he'd approve PT for me.  In the interim I continued with quad sets, heel slides and leg raises.

Stefan was also surprised that my OS had me do quad sets right after my surgery.  However, that may have been due to it being a tendon graft as opposed to a tendon repair.  And, since I was not in great shape, I think it might have helped me a bit more stable as I recovered via my hinged brace.

I was most pleased with my ROM. :-) It's 131 and only 1 degree better in my compromised right knee.  I do like reclining with my knees bent as I watch TV and when I was able to resume doing this after the surgery, and especially after the wire was removed, I felt like it would support an increase in ROM.  He said except for when my knee gets stiff...as colder weather occurs...I could stop the heel slides.

I was assigned to 5 minutes on a bike and then given 2 lb. weights to use for a few more exercises for this evaluative visit.  I will be seeing him once a week, and working my home program.  This is fine with me, since I do not expect to work my way to heavy duty fitness comparable to the athletes that post here.  I will be most pleased to walk a mile a day, sit and stand with ease.  Pretty basic.

Of course, I still have the other knee to go, so I am having to employ care that it hold up until my left knee is fully healed.  My OS will see me again in 6 months.

My initial home program includes:Long Arc Quads...sitting and extending the knee straight out; Standing Harmstring Curls - do this with weights; Hip Abduction - Sideways; and Prone Hip Extension.  Again, I believe much of what I am starting to do is to help me build a very basic level of fitness.  Hopefully, I will be able to accomplish significant strength before I have to finish with my other knee.

Hope you are all well and on your way to mobility freedom!

~ Johanna ~

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 100
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
« Reply #6157 on: September 30, 2016, 09:09:34 PM »
Glad to hear your situation has improved Johanna and hope this continues.

Last few weeks have felt frustrating. No particular reason other than it has really hit home what has happened and realisation of things I used to be able to do.

At 21 weeks/ 5 months approx bilateral patellar tendon rupture progress for myself looks like - going to the gym 3 times a week. 15 min x 2 on the excercise bike. 
15 mins or so on the elliptical. 
Squats fairly shallow using suspension trainer.
 Step ups.
Attempting leg extension machine but not really got the strength.
Glad to be doing some cardio and stamina is improving. 
At home daily leg raises and short arc leg  extensions quad setting etc.
Out and about Walking about with no crutch but carry it for getting on n off train or if I need it. Using stairs etc. Walking about is scary at times as think what if my knees pop again. I freeze a bit on wet surfaces too so is mind over matter to an extent .

Knees have been a bit more painful than before due to nerves waking up I think. Pt fortnightly and have clinic review in about 3 weeks for the cereclage wire. The wire sort of  pokes behind the skin at the momment and can definitely feel it and think it restricts movement a bit. Hope taking them out doesn't set us back too much.

Best wishes to everyone. J
Knees together and take the fall

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6158 on: October 07, 2016, 01:36:24 AM »
Hi RPT folks...

Today was traumatic for me...second out patient PT session...at the very end of my exercise series, they had me get on a machine...slanted thing..where your body motion pushes you into a squat.  It was supposed to be a modified squat based upon my very limited strength at this point.  I had told the personnel some time ago that I was unable to do wall slides...my knees were too compromised and my right knee still is. 

While trying to use this machine, I felt little stability in my left knee, although the quad did fire up and my right knee began to feel that crunchy deal that happens when I know what's left of that joint is being overly stressed.  I slowly managed to go up and down on the slant thing about 2 sets of 10. 

Then came the panic...and I had mentioned my worry/fear about this before I even got on it.  And, that was my inability to safely lift up myself from it.  It seems although I have very limited quad strength, my glutes are in far worse condition...just too many years of only being able to sit...and then the weight piled on to boot.

I had to get help getting off of it and I was so so worried I was going to injure my left knee and make my right one even worse.  (This was the same machine the other PT place put me on with far less understanding/compassion...and when I was on it I felt like both knees were going to blow out.)  Anyway,  I felt like I needed to be lifted off the thing.  The assistant did help me...but it was very awkward and horribly frightening.  The other concern was that I'd fall off of it, and not only wreck my knees but also wipe out my back.

Needless to say, I sat down in a chair next to it...they had brought it over to see if I could use the side arms to grab while getting off the machine.  I said I needed to sit there a bit and compose myself.  And then, I just started sobbing. 

They were very kind about the whole thing, but I don't know if they understood how I've had a life time of this crap, and it's just awful.  I have to assume responsibility for how I gave up and as a consequence have no fitness or appropriate weight ratio. 

Once upon a time, I had a lovely figure...over the years it became a terrible battle trying to keep walking and avoid piling on the pounds.  You might recall in a previous post that I was told at age 14 that I would be wheelchair bound by my mid twenties.  So, I guess I avoided that at least. 

The main exercises I've got right now are to build glutes and I need that in spades.  I also have to really try and drop more weight.  At least it is suppose to warm way up here...maybe I can try to get some walks in the pool over the next few days.

I feel pretty discouraged and isolated with the struggle.

If one of the mods could give me the codes, I'd like to post a pic of a similar machine I found. 

I knew I'd have to face some hard stuff at this point...and it has come true.

Hope you are all having a better day than I had...

~ Johanna ~
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:50:45 AM by Johanna »

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #6159 on: October 07, 2016, 04:18:21 AM »
Johanna, I am sure I speak for all of us when I say I feel your pain, and have nothing but admiration for the way you are facing up to your situation. Each of us feels we have had to cope with adversity, but few ,if any, have had to face your circumstances!
 You have not given up; you are not wheelchair bound; you have suffered setbacks but continue to strive to make progress.
 You are still the same person inside, and are in fact, gaining strength as you keep working to make strides, no matter how gradual.I am confident you will achieve your goals. Until then count your blessings, and know that you have our support!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6160 on: October 07, 2016, 07:15:44 AM »
Stuart, your kind and empathetic post provided me with much supportive encouragement and I am so grateful for it.  I know most of us find some humor in astrology, I do...however, I could help but note the irony in today's description:
Don't cave in

During this time most people have to deal with feelings of doubt, discouragement and inadequacy. Also you may find yourself unpleasantly confronted by the consequences of past actions that you hoped would simply go away. The challenge is to confront them without caving in and feeling hopeless. Now you will question whether you are doing what you should with your life. The temptation is to decide that you are not, and to give up. ... But you must avoid the tendency to cave in. Evaluate what you are doing in your own terms, not someone else's, and decide whether you are acting properly in various matters.

One certain thing has come out of all of this for me...either one moves forward, however haltingly, or languishes with diminishing returns.  Going forward, I have had to fully embrace a radically different lifestyle...let go of my default sedentary habits that were a consequence of my disability.  I think I'll start charting walks tomorrow...it's not a natural 'task' for me, but at least that should be a safe and constructive means to get stronger on some level.  And, by charting them I am hopeful it galvanizes me to get them done and not just escape in my regular pursuits.  I guess I get to be an example that one is never too old to 'learn new tricks'...I'll gladly compare myself to doggies...lovely pets that they are.

~ Johanna ~

Offline The Eejit

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6161 on: October 11, 2016, 11:40:48 PM »
Johanna,

Have been reading your posts and my heart goes out to you for what you are going through. I am 4 years post surgery July past and I am not going to say it has been plain sailing, but I am definitely better than where I though I might be.
I remember on my first after surgery visit when the Dr was trying to bend my leg to 90 degrees 2 weeks post surgery thinking I was never going to get through this. I would see him looking at me thinking that if I were to shed some pounds it would make things a lot easier and do you know what, he was probably right, but when you're trying to deal with the mental effects of the injury and surgery along with the physical it's not what you want to hear. 
I now have two problematic knees, one has a 75% knee cap displacement and the other has the tendon repair, my only saving grace was it was a clean tear right from the knee cap.
I found my recovery to be slow and I would still be in pain most days sometimes the little bugger has a life of it's own and will give out when I least expect it. I hate squats and if I can help it will never ever do another one in my lifetime, they cause too much pain and crunch.

That said, as hard as things have been and even though they are still not perfect, I am proud of myself and how far I have come, at one point until I found this brilliant forum and received help from people like John I wasn't sure I would walk again because I had no idea what I had actually done.

Stick with it, I still do straight leg raises when I am waiting for the train much to the delight of the other passengers. I still occasionally stand on one leg when I make the dinner and I'm never going to be perfect, but perfect is boring ;)
My friends call me Juls :)
-----------------------------------
6th July 2012 - Ruptured Left Patellar Tendon
Friday the 13th July - Surgery (yes I said my goodbyes lol)

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6162 on: October 14, 2016, 06:35:25 AM »
Sending virtual hugs to you Johannah ((()))  hope better days are ahead!

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6163 on: October 26, 2016, 03:28:50 PM »
Hi, interested to know if any one has any thoughts/experience on removal of box wiring.

At clinic review this week they have advised against removal of the box wires as they think they aren't causing any problems although they do poke at the sides a bit.  From my perspective I just don't know if they are restricting anything or if it's just the injury. They will review in 4 months but think they may just leave them in even if it breaks  (which is likely). They suggested before they would come out but are now saying it's best to leave them in and not risk surgery. Not sure what to think and what's best. Any thoughts anyone? 

Otherwise OK and feel mentally a bit better with walking about....it's a long old Road to recovery 😶🤓

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6164 on: November 17, 2016, 02:53:13 AM »
Hello again RPTers...

I thought I'd come on and update you folks tonight and try to forget about the future of our democracy, such as it is, over here.  (EEK...at least for my point of view)  Before I post my personal narrative, I wanted to respond to you, Bascat.

I had a wire around the perimeter of my knee cap and down below the attachment of the achilles tendon graft.  My surgeon removed it about 3 months post surgery.  There wasn't much pain with that procedure, it was done in a day surgical site, although I was out during the removal and sent home within a few hours, after post op recovery.  At this point, I am not sure that it was helpful to have it removed, but on the other hand, I am a bit relieved that I do not have the worry about it breaking either.

I also wished to share something about an athlete I came across:

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/167648/video-jimmy-graham-talks-his-return-to-seahawks-practice/

when reviewing Google news which I thought fellow posters might wish to read, if you haven't already.  I'm not much a sports fan, except when I'd engage in viewing a team via my ex husband or boyfriends, however his RPT injury was included in the caption about the article, so of course I had to read it.  Here are a few parts that were of particular interest to me...considering our dubious honor being a members in this club:

"Long before Jimmy Graham could resume running routes and catching passes, the Seahawks tight end said he had to relearn how to simply stand up and walk. He couldnít so much as bend his right leg for 11 or 12 weeks following surgery to repair the patellar tendon that he tore in late November, an injury that cut his first season with Seattle short. There were, in his words, some ďdark daysĒ in the eight and a half months that followed. ..."Iíve never been through something that every day you had to do something for it, every day you wake up and until you go to bed youíre doing some type of rehab, and itís been like that for me for eight months and it will continue to be like that for me for the next eight months,Ē Graham said. ďItís something that Iím always going to have to pay attention to, and itís a part of life now." ...ďThe pain was pretty terrible, thatís for sure,Ē he said, ďand when you look down at your knee and you donít see your kneecap, you know somethingís wrong.Ē

Graham said there were stretches following surgery that he would feel OK, but then there were days that he would suddenly feel especially sore.

ďYou end up questioning yourself like, ĎAm I doing the right thing? Why is this so hard?'Ē he said. ďEspecially for me in my career, I felt like a lot of things have come easy. Iíve always just been athletic and fast and to have to learn how to walk again, itís very humbling, thatís for sure. But for me, Iíve learned patience, that you just have to stay mentally strong every day and set goals and never get frustrated with the process, kind of embrace the process.Ē...Patellar-tendon injuries are known for being especially difficult to recover from compared to more common knee injuries like ACL tears. Graham noted that one of the challenges is the tendency to suffer other injuries while trying to compensate, something he talked about with Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz, who hasnít played since tearing his patellar tendon in October of 2014 then hurting the calf on his other leg the following summer. ...ďThatíll be probably the sweetest moment for me, to overcome this and to do it the way Iíve done it, to know how much went into it,Ē he said. ďIíve done nothing but this. Iíve dedicated every second of the day to this. I got a rehab facility at my house now Ö Thatís all Iíve been doing.Ē

My progress has been slow but for the most part steady.  Although yesterday...perhaps in my sleep or? ...I moved my knee in such a way that it is stiff with pain on the outside of my knee joint and also behind it, rather than what I've become accustomed to feeling around my knee cap or just below it.  I actually put my brace back on before coming to this site tonight, and I welcome the support. (I decided to keep the brace around, if for no other reason to use, should I need it once in a while, when I have my right knee done.)  Maybe it's something as simple as the weather changes in the offing.  The sensation is similar to what I had going on prior to my knee replacement.  I am glad I'll be seeing my PT tomorrow to check things out.

I really liked the PT assigned to me since my RPT diagnosis.  Unfortuantely, he bought a new house and found a new job with Kaiser closer to where he now lives.  He was really nurturing and experienced with this injury.  My new PT has earned a doctorate in the field.  I think I asked her if she was experienced with RPT issues, but as I type this I can't recall for sure.  I'll check that out too. 

She's a bit more formal, but she seems competent so far.  I am continuing to work on glute strengthening and some quad work.  A few weeks ago, I was able to get up from a fairly low bench in the facility.  So good for that, at least.  Last week I asked about stairs, since a dear friend of mine said I'd better be sure they addressed that with me too, even though I am lucky not to have them where I live.

It was premature to try and use a step up action just yet.  I don't have quite the quad strength...at least to me.  My knee felt wobbly and they suggested I pull up as need on a bar at waist level, however my shoulders are sensitive now as a consequence of my time lifting myself up when I had to keep the knee brace locked, so I didn't wish to aggravate them any further.  I can do almost a normal rotation on the bike of late.  I'm not on it for long, just 5 minutes. (Once I get my right leg done, I will be free to do that task and others, such as wall slides with greater ease.) I am not yet trying to do squats either. As others have said here, I have to be OK with a slow plan of action.  And that seems to be the state of things for me.

I can't thank you all enough for your support after my last visit to this site.  And special thanks to you, Eejit for coming here and sharing your 4 years post op experience.  I reread it tonight.  It is a comfort to realize what we have endured together and to recognize each other as companions on this unique journey.

With that, sending you all well wishes...

~ Johanna ~

support