Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249407 times)

Offline Saskman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6045 on: May 14, 2016, 04:05:40 PM »
Hey Diane,

I ruptured my left patella tendon. About 90 percent of vehicles in Canada are automatic so I don't need to use my left leg at all. I drive a gmc truck but I am also 6'5" so it fits me well. My wife drives a Hyundai Santa Fe xl and I could get in and out of it good since day one. It was one of the only passenger seats I could fit in with my leg completely straight.

Kelly

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #6046 on: May 17, 2016, 10:17:33 PM »
Hi Kelly,  I guessed that might be the case. Manuals are much more common in the UK (probably the majority) but as it was my right leg automatic wouldn't make much difference to me anyway. However, the height being higher will so I have agreed to trade my car in this Friday.

Other news for me was at physio today she benchmarked my good left leg vs. my bad right one. Very depressing! On the leg press my good leg can do 73kg whereas my bad one couldn't go further than 27. My good leg bends over 140 and my bad one 110. I thought I was doing so well so it felt like a slap in the face to see the difference. Just need to keep motivated and determined to close the gap (although suspect it will take a looooong time and for the ROM probably never. The good news is the exercise bike is much easier now.

Diane 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:21:28 PM by diane72 »
Patellar tendon complete rupture,
12/01/2016,
Didn't notice my 4 year old's microscooter,planted my foot and went flying, schoolbag, workbag, catbowl, BANG!

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 104
« Reply #6047 on: May 19, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »
Hi to the 'Knee(s) Klan"...  I finally had my patella tendon surgery (4/27) and just recently returned home from post op rehab.  I believe I shared that my surgeon elected to use an achilles cadever tendon, screw it in via the two little bones at one end, and suture the other end via some holes in the patella.  He then secured the whole apparatus with wire around perimeter. 

My surgeon is extremely proud of his handwork.  The morning after surgery, he had me contract my quad and we could both see that it functioned correctly.  He did mention that the patella tendon hadn't actually ruptured ( wondered how I was walking OK after the diagnosis.); rather that it was torn in the middle which made it possible for me to still walk.

I spent a couple of weeks in a rehab facility.  I am surprised that I've experienced minimal pain so far.  The most challenging aspect was finding a way to get up from a seated position.  I was able to walk without much difficulty from the day after surgery on.

I came home from rehab last Friday.  I've had more hassle obtaining a proper wheelchair and a hospital bed, then dealing with my knee, actually.  The wheelchair is primarily useful so that I can sit up somewhere (with my leg straight out via the leg plate) and not be confined to either lying on my bed, or walking.  The biggest hurdle has been arranging for home PT.  There was a snafu by the powers that be...authorizations by the HMO and all of that jazz.  Let me say again, HMOs are annoying to the max!!  Hopefully I will finally see a PT next Monday.  It should have all been in place within 48 hours of my arrival home.

In the meantime, I've been to my brace doc to review my hinged brace.  It tends to slide down and rest upon my ankle bone which was disturbing and painful.  He added a pad to it and showed me how to adjust it.  It needs an instruction booklet!! Perhaps I'll see if there is a video for it.  It's a Breg.  He selected it because it is a lighter weight one than I guess, Don Joys, and other equivalent choices.

Yesterday, I had my first post op appointment with my surgeon.  The staples were removed, an updated set of x-rays were taken and everything looks really good.  At three weeks post op, he's set the brace to 30 degrees.  I am suppose to lock it when I walk and practice bending it when I am not.  It's a bit ambiguous; I really want to have the support of a PT professional at this stage of things.  He wants me to increase the bend by 10 more degrees each week and see him again in 3 weeks/at 60 degrees.  He's encouraging me to walk as much as I can tolerate.  At the end of my rehab stay, I was walking the halls twice a day, with a walker, for about double the length of a ranch house/yard out here in CA.  Earlier this week I walked to the mail box and made a round trip on the short block where I reside.

I am really glad I made sure to switch out vehicles.  The one I selected is not too low, a Toyota Rav, and I was able to scoot back into the back seat to go home/go to doctors etc.  I wonder how long it will be before I can sit in front.  The seats can be adjusted to allow quite a bit of leg room, however.  It is my left leg, so I know that it won't take quite as long before I can drive again.

BTW...I believe it has been mentioned here, but I do wish to note that I was given a polar ice device that circulates ice on top of the incision...and it was wonderful and allowed me to avoid pain meds all the more. 
I do expect I'll need to consider pain meds when the PT activity starts in earnest. 

It did feel strange to bend my knee the first time since the surgery and not see that divit looking appearance...where my knee cap popped up from my joint.  And the doctor had me take note how everything is connected again.  Woohoo for that!!

I appreciate the posts I read here.  It helps ever so much to have some sense about how this recovery plays out.  My goals are pretty modest.  I'll be delighted to walk a mile a day, get in and out of a chair normally and avoid having to wear a brace and/or using a walker everywhere I turn.  At my age, I do intend to be cautious and whenever there's a down pour, I'll use my walker to preserve whatever function I regain from all of this.  (If you recall, there's quite a possibility that I'll need the right knee fixed in the same way we had to do my left.)

Sending healing energy to everyone and congrats to those who've completed their recovery.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:18:27 AM by Johanna »
Patella Tendon tear in middle sometime after TKR. TKR surgery 12/16/14; PTR diagnosed 10/23/15. Patella Tendon only 3/4 inch long - noted during surgery. Birth defect (?) 3 prior surgeries on  (2)LK (Kerlan/Jobe) 1 RK performed in late 70s. Patellas 1/2 reg. size subluxed - age 6

Offline quickrecovery

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #6048 on: May 20, 2016, 05:14:07 PM »
Hi everyone,

Today I am officially 12 weeks post surgery.  Yesterday I am happy to say that I did my first revolution backwards and forwards.  I am also no longer taking antibiotics for my infection.  I'm walking a lot better now with a cane.

Can I ask what the recovery process might look like from this point on?  How many days of physio did you do a week?

Offline Downstairs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #6049 on: May 22, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »
Hello all.  I am so glad I found this site.

I fell down the stairs on May 6th (kind of like sliding into second base with my left leg caught under me).  Had a repair done within 15hours (great Canadian health care).

I am now 2 weeks post-op.  Staples come out this week.

I am surprised (and am lucky) how little pain I have had.

So far crutches, leg in brace and no physio.

I have read about some benefits of early exercise.   Is there a consensus of opinion about the spectrum from doing no weight bearing to beginning things like quad sets at this stage?

Offline Downstairs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6050 on: May 22, 2016, 10:46:12 PM »
Oh yeah, I should point out I also had a ruptured triceps tendon (curling injury) in 2009 so I have some experience with this whole thing
My triceps is 100% except for a small patch of numb skin next to the scar.
This RPT thing is much more debilitating.   One of my goals will be to invent something to let me put my socks on.   Does anyone have any tips?   I tried expanding the sock opening over a wide mouthed plastic beer cup but this didn't work quite perfectly (foot in sock in cup, cup won't come off)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:47:47 PM by Downstairs »

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #6051 on: May 23, 2016, 01:18:52 AM »
Downstairs, where are you? Sooner you start Physio the better. There may be someone here in your area, I am guessing the Prairies, who might be able to give you advice or a referral.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6052 on: May 23, 2016, 05:42:36 AM »
Downstairs, here's a neat device for putting on socks: (not sure I can post a pic here...so instead a link)

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-Medical-Sock-Foam-Grip/dp/B010WC82MI/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1463978396&sr=8-1&keywords=sock+pull
Patella Tendon tear in middle sometime after TKR. TKR surgery 12/16/14; PTR diagnosed 10/23/15. Patella Tendon only 3/4 inch long - noted during surgery. Birth defect (?) 3 prior surgeries on  (2)LK (Kerlan/Jobe) 1 RK performed in late 70s. Patellas 1/2 reg. size subluxed - age 6

Offline Downstairs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6053 on: May 24, 2016, 12:53:38 PM »
I am in Winnipeg.
Thanks for the sock link.
3 more days until staples out.  I can't wait to start moving more

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6054 on: May 25, 2016, 04:12:11 AM »
Hi PTR Klan...

Yesterday, I finally had an evaluation by the home Physical Therapist director (via the Visiting Nurses Association).  I feel more encouraged now that I have a regimen once again after waiting almost two weeks since I returned home from rehab.  I'll be given some home care to address the matter of showers (and finding a shower chair that will work with in the space configuration of my shower - it has a built in seat (fiberglass shell) that is useless...folks slide off it...no arm rests etc.  Also, I'll receive occupational therapy for assistance how to manage my basic needs, i.e. meals, dressing and the like.  I am handy with the long shoe horn, however it is hard to use it with this brace I wear, the wrap right above my ankle obstructs the angle of the horn.  Anyone else struggle with this?

The exercise plan I've been given (I'll receive twice weekly PT visits) is:
o  hourly = bend my knee 10 times while on my bed (I'm at 40 degrees, I'm suppose to increase that 10 degrees each week), move my leg laterally, 10 times, 10 quad sets and get up an walk around the house.
o  daily = 3 sets of 10 straight leg raises - lifting my leg about 10 inches off the bed,  I am also using hand weights to build some upper body strength.
(I am also walking outside about two small blocks round trip)

My doctor said I could walk as much as I'd like, and I could stand up in the kitchen to cook as long as I kept the brace locked.

Today, I felt more comfortable setting the degrees of the brace and locking and unlocking it.  The lock(s) were a bit stiff at first.

The visiting nurse said to be sure and take pain meds about 1/2 hour ahead of my PT sessions to reduce inflammation.  I haven't had to take pain meds for a couple of weeks now.  But, as engage more fully in exercise I anticipate that will change...especially as I try to get my ROM back.  I surely hope to have 90 degrees by mid July, so that I can drive again - left leg, thank goodness.  Having read many posts here, if I have to wait longer, I will work on being patient to surely allow all the healing to take place.

The physical therapist had me sit on my electric recliner to see about getting up from it.  It's a bit low, even with two extra cushions on it.  I hope to be able to manage that by the end of the week, so that I am not required to be in a wheelchair, if I wish to get off my bed.

I don't believe my regimen is as aggressive as some I've read about here, but as I have posted before at my age/lifestyle I will be glad to walk a mile a day and get up and down in a seated position without difficulty. 

I do feel considerable improvement in my knee stability, thank goodness.  BTW...my surgeon plans on removing the wire perimeter around the surgical site in about 3 months.  He stated I'd have to be under anesthesia for the procedure.  I'd appreciate reading of anyone's experience with this.  I do hope I avoid scar tissue issues...Hope Springs Eternal!

Hope you are all feeling mobility improvements...

~ Johanna ~

Offline Jabijan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6055 on: May 25, 2016, 11:11:33 AM »
Hi to everybody..
I ruptured my ligament on 2.4.2016... And was operated on the same day.
I could stand on may leg in full brace on day 2 post op with full weight bearing but with alot of pain. They started my rehabilitation on day 3 post op with 30 degree passive flexion which was the limit for the next 4 weeks. My surgeon then allowed me to go up to 60, and in the middle of  week 6 I could go as far as pain level...  I also stoped wearing my brace. That was on 10.5.2016..

Now I am in the middle of week 8, I started walking without crutches and I am doing around 5 km per day (i walk home from rehabilitation), with some stationary bike. After stretching I am walking almost without limping... But going up the stairs in a normal fashion with the injured leg is still a no go, I started doing it with crutches, and It it looks like I will be able to do it in a week or two .

Knee flexion is at around 120-125 at the moment and I hope to have the full flexion in 2 weeks. I am doing alot of quad exercises, and can almost extend my knee to teh fullest.... Pain is durable and I stoped eating pain killers in week 2.

I can say recovery is hard and slow, but in a weird way it gave me a big goal to accomplish and I am enjoying the challenge.. Stay strong!
Hope you all get a speedy recovery without complications..  :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:14:04 AM by Jabijan »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6056 on: May 25, 2016, 07:00:41 PM »
Hi and welcome to the RPT club - membership is free, but loads of advice if you look at the RPT website
Ruptured Quadriceps/Patella Tendon/Surgery.

How did you sustain your injury?    Where do you live?  If in the UK, then look at the current LIDL brochure and purchase a floor cycle for 18, valuable in later months.

Have a look at previous posts on that webpage - will give you lots of tips.   Also click on the undermentioned web page - this I put together with KneeGuru - it will explain your injury and the rehab process.

PATIENCE is required - it will take a minimum of six months to get a decent ROM  rage of movement.

ASK Questions.

Best
JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6057 on: May 28, 2016, 07:39:24 AM »
Hi RPTers, my brother and SIL leave Sunday A.M. and with their departure, I will return to being on my own once more, since my procedure. As of this last Wednesday, I am 30 days out from my tendon transplant.  While things are going pretty well so far, I've been experiencing an emotional roller coaster, especially when new caregivers arrive/depart.  It hasn't helped matters that I've been caught in a bureaucratic quagmire trying to line up the home services I am entitled to.  Finally, the nurse, occupational therapist and physical therapist have visited, however I have yet to receive the services of a home health aid to assist with such things as bathing.  It was a big deal finally washing my hair (my SIL and I figured out a way to do so...only over two weeks, since it was done at rehab)...I should have had help with that days ago.  Thank goodness for dry shampoo and shampoo caps.  Later on I'll post more specifics about the devices I've had to install to support my recovery.  Tonight, I am having to ward off another pity party over all of this.  Fear, anxiety and anger arise in me sometimes.  Just wondering how you all have fared with it, if my experience applies.  I'll sign off now and escape into some TV.  It indeed is an exercise in patience, isn't it!

Offline Downstairs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6058 on: May 29, 2016, 05:47:09 PM »
Thanks for all the support and ideas.

I had my staples out 3 days ago and am now 3wks post repair.
My OS says he is very conservative and doesn't recommend any physio until 6 weeks   He describes the tenuous nature of the tissue healing in the first 6months
He described people rerupturing with sudden stress on the repair (such as stepping off a curb )   Has anyone ever heard of a rerupture due to too aggressive or too early rehab exercise?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6059 on: May 29, 2016, 06:23:21 PM »
Hi Downstairs

Yes, there have been posters on this thread who have had a rerupture - near in mind that the tendon requires up to 15 weeks to heal and the you have another 4 months or so of physio - firstly you will be at 35/45 ROM after six weeks and then the next milestone is 90ROM at about 12/16 weeks.

On your next visit to the physio, have your good leg measured which should  be in the region of 140/150 ROM, but anything over 120ROM is acceptable, but you will not be able to run after a bus.

Keep reading previous posts on this thread - PATIENCE and ASK questions.

Take care

JohnK/Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support