Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249401 times)

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6000 on: April 07, 2016, 04:00:23 AM »
Hey all, Jerry here.  Hope everyone doing well.  Been out of commission due to shoulder surgery.  I'm three weeks post-op and PT going well.  I had a Bankart tear in left shoulder...have no idea how I did it.  OS said it is usually a result of an anterior dislocation but I really don't remember anything traumatic...probably just all the years of basketball and football (American football) catching up to me.  Anyway, thought I'd share with my European friends that I'll be flying across the pond in June for two week vacation.  Visiting England and a couple other countries.  I'm very excited...1st time!

To Diane and the other newbies...I know it's difficult but try not to compare your recovery to others too much. There are those that recover faster and those that recovery slower, some with complications and some with no issues. There are lots of differences such as site of tear, repair option, soft tissue damage, physical condition pre-injury, age, etc.  So, please do not despair.  The biggest similarity in my opinion is that a tear has to have time to heal.  The ROM and strength will come back so please be patient and listen to YOUR body. Cheers and I wish you all continued success.
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6001 on: April 07, 2016, 07:27:36 AM »
Hi Jerry

Nice to hear from you - where do you intend visiting in the UK?

Best/ JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #6002 on: April 09, 2016, 06:29:45 PM »
Hi Jerry!

Sounds like you have a good trip planned-where are you going/when. Happy to share whatever knowledge I have on the British Isles!

THANKS for the advice, it is coming slowly but getting there.

Update on me: I officially have put the sofa bed downstairs away today, which is a big milestone for me now I can 'do' steps with the crutches upstairs. The issue the physio always had was we have narrow stairs that have no handlebar either side so crutches are precarious (part of being 'an old cottage'), but now my leg is strong enough that I can handle it with enough stability to do it safely.

I also had my first hydrotherapy session on Friday, so lovely to be able to walk albeit in a pool, really enjoyed it!!!!

So all you veterans out there-does the tight feeling in your knee when sitting ever go away???

Sending best wishes to all,

DIANE  :)
Patellar tendon complete rupture,
12/01/2016,
Didn't notice my 4 year old's microscooter,planted my foot and went flying, schoolbag, workbag, catbowl, BANG!

Offline Saskman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #6003 on: April 10, 2016, 05:39:47 AM »
Hi all. New to the forum here but been reading for a couples weeks. What a great wealth of knowledge. I'm three weeks post injury and two weeks post surgery. Here's the details

Weight:300
Height:6'5"
I was playing basket ball with the kids and when I went to jump the patella tendon snapped.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6004 on: April 10, 2016, 06:42:58 AM »
Hi Saskman

Welcome to the RPT thread - not the best club in the world, but you have a long haul to recovery -

PATIENCE is required = ask questions - continue to read previous posts on this thread -

Have a look at the undermentioned thread - a number of documents explains your injury and the rehab process.

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Saskman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6005 on: April 10, 2016, 07:02:17 AM »
Thx John

I think I've been reading everything I possibly can since I injured my knee which has brought me to here. I've had a terrible time sleeping so far. I think it has to do with being a side sleeper. I'm looking forward to the day when I can sleep without the brace!  I also believe having any type of injury makes you become a lot more inventive in figuring out ways to deal with tasks that were so easy pre-injury

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6006 on: April 10, 2016, 07:10:41 AM »
Hi Saskman

Good tip for sleeping 

Sleep with a pillow or a cushion between your knees - takes the pain away from the injured knee.

I am still doing this after 13 years - works wonders.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6007 on: April 10, 2016, 10:05:51 AM »
Hi Saskman,

Welcome! you have found the right place, these guys have really helped me. I was in a pretty miserable state when I arrived at this page unable to lift my leg at all and now I really believe I'm on the home straight, hopefully without crutches/ brace in the next 5 weeks.

The first 4 weeks I will confess I found VERY tough and painful and as a person who normally sleeps on her side I also found lying on my back difficult. But there is light as I do think every week after that brings progress and as you say you adapt and find new ways of doing things. The route to recovery for me has been working hard on getting that quad muscle first firing and then half leg raises with a towel then to straight leg raises and from there trying to work towards partial weight bearing (which is where I am at now). The knee bends to get range of motion are tough and I always guided myself by pushing hard while the pain was that pressure pain like a vice tightening round your knee and a ton weight pushing down but if it started to get a bit like a searing pain I would immediately ease off. I'm about 90 degrees now and still having to work hard.

Are you going to physio yet? What have they recommended?

Good luck!!

Diane
12/01/2016,
Didn't notice my 4 year old's microscooter,planted my foot and went flying, schoolbag, workbag, catbowl, BANG!

Offline Saskman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6008 on: April 10, 2016, 07:14:59 PM »
Hi Diane,

I was put in an immobilizer in the ER and used it or the first two weeks post surgery. I had an appointment with my surgeon exactly two weeks after surgery for a check up and to remove staples.

He switched me over to a hinged brace but I'm sill locked at no movement and go back to see him at the six week post surgery mark.

At that point he said he would refer me to PT.  Meanwhile I can do passive leg movement to 45* only, I can only get to maybe 10-15* but it's a start. I've also been allowed to weight bear as tolerated and walk around the house with a cane but use crutches outside.

I sure have noticed there's a wide range of post surgery care out there. I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle.

Kelly

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6009 on: April 10, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »
Hi Kelly

Your progress is spot on - the next object is at six weeks to commdence PT

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6010 on: April 10, 2016, 09:02:47 PM »
Hi Kelly,

Sounds like a typical plan. The North American way seems to be weight bear early, which really seems to have worked for most people as it means you don't lose the strength in your quads (my consultant was the exception and wanted me to stick to toe weight bearing until a week past Thursday then completely take the brace off and work towards weight bearing-so the other way around from everyone else!). It feels slow but you will turn a corner and as everyone says it's about patience.

What I found is if you just keep doing those heel slides then you add on about 10-15 degrees a week even though day to day it feels like your aren't going anywhere. I seem to have hit a roadblock 90-100 but I also know the wire they put in is set at 100 so I'm now working against that.

Good Luck!

Diane x
12/01/2016,

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 104
« Reply #6011 on: April 11, 2016, 02:27:55 AM »
Hope I can successfully copy this link over...interesting and maybe a future fix for us too:

This revolutionary surgery could change... - Business Insider ...
https://www.facebook.com/businessinsider/posts/10153526426509071
25,303,291 Views. Tech Insider April 5 at 10:00am New York, NY, United States . This revolutionary surgery could change the way doctors treat knee injuries.
Patella Tendon tear in middle sometime after TKR. TKR surgery 12/16/14; PTR diagnosed 10/23/15. Patella Tendon only 3/4 inch long - noted during surgery. Birth defect (?) 3 prior surgeries on  (2)LK (Kerlan/Jobe) 1 RK performed in late 70s. Patellas 1/2 reg. size subluxed - age 6

Offline Bmcnamara417

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6012 on: April 11, 2016, 03:21:21 AM »
Hey all,

Just over 7 weeks post surgery. I hace completely tossed the hindged brace. My Rom is at 123 degrees and gets better everyday.  Still a little gimpy with a limp, but think that has a lot to do witv fear than anything else.  Doctor has released me to play golf as I can tolerate!  Now if it would just warm up and stop raining! I fully expect to be released back to full duty as a firefighter when I see him again on May 17th.  I realize this all comes down to leg strength, especially in the quad, and getting your ROM back.  After that....its just about getting confidence back in walking.  I do have a knee brace to where as piece of mind when i am doing things like golf and at work.  I think it will really help my confidence going forward.   

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6013 on: April 12, 2016, 04:00:13 PM »
Hi Brett,

That is fabulous news!!! You have bet your own target of golfing before May! Seriously, really pleased for you! Your experience has really helped me personally and I wouldn't be where I have got to so far without your help. I know what you mean about confidence, each new thing I feel is more of a mental battle than physical now.

The being in a pool for hydrotherapy really helped me focus on normalising my gait as I didn't have to worry about overdoing it as the water means you aren't fully weight bearing so you can focus on form rather than function. Not sure if you have been doing hydro?

Diane  ;D
12/01/2016,

Offline quickrecovery

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #6014 on: April 16, 2016, 04:57:34 AM »
Hi everyone! 
Hope everyone is doing well.  I see there are some new posts since my last check-in.  I'm learning a lot still. 

I was hoping someone could help me answer some questions.

I'm officially 7 weeks post surgery and I am at 60 degrees of flexion. 
-  How do you manage to go down stairs?  When were you able to do that comfortably?
-  How long did it take for you to get to 90 degrees? 
- When were you able to drive?
- When were you able to do single leg raises?
- How long did you need physio for?

support