Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1248467 times)

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 109
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5925 on: February 16, 2016, 05:57:26 PM »
Just looked and now realise RQT is ruptured quadriceps tendon!

D
Patellar tendon complete rupture,
12/01/2016,
Didn't notice my 4 year old's microscooter,planted my foot and went flying, schoolbag, workbag, catbowl, BANG!

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 104
« Reply #5926 on: February 17, 2016, 01:52:15 AM »
New poster.  Facing Patellar Tendon Surgery soon.  Obtaining a second opinion.  My knee surgeon is suggesting a patellar tendon cadaver graft.  The MRI doesn't show any evidence of my original tendon.  We are not sure just when the tendon ruptured.  There were two instances during PT when it might have occurred.  An unusual circumstance per my research thus far, inasmuch as I was still able to walk. The impetus for my PTR diagnosis was that I was unable to fully straighten out my left leg during lifts. I had pointed this out to my PT.  She responded to my concern stating that as my quad muscle built, the leg would straighten normally.

I am 69 years old and haven't been able to maintain fitness for years since my defective knees were disintegrating, in particular my left.  After 3 knee surgeries to respond to structural deficits (flat condyles, small kneecaps (about 1/2 the customary size) and multiple dislocations at the slightest provocation, I finally elected to have my knees replaced.  My goal was to find a way to walk regularly to improve my overall health and to enable me to reduce my weight.  (After each surgery, the first one when I was 21, and 2 of them later during my late twenties, I embarked upon a steady PT rehab.  In spite of my dedicated efforts, I achieved minimally to no knee stability.)

This surgery seems particularly daunting, especially at my age and fitness level.  I look forward to your support and am interested in your thoughts about questions to pose in advance of my revision surgery.  My surgeon believes we may encounter a similar issue in my RK which was to be replaced next. (He believes early surgical techniques from the late 70s might be the cause of the short tendon found in my LK.)  Additionally, I would appreciate any suggestions you might wish to offer regarding how to prepare for my post surgical treatment.  I live alone (in SoCal) and hate the idea that I might have to enter a rehab facility for a period in excess of a few days.  TIA
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 08:17:50 AM by Johanna »
Patella Tendon tear in middle sometime after TKR. TKR surgery 12/16/14; PTR diagnosed 10/23/15. Patella Tendon only 3/4 inch long - noted during surgery. Birth defect (?) 3 prior surgeries on  (2)LK (Kerlan/Jobe) 1 RK performed in late 70s. Patellas 1/2 reg. size subluxed - age 6

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5927 on: February 17, 2016, 10:19:45 AM »
Hello Johanna,

I'm a newbie too (3 weeks post-op). So sorry to hear about all the pain and suffering you have been through to date. As mine wasn't a planned op. and was a result of an accident I don't have much advice for anything prior to the op. However, what I would say is I found it really tough the week I got out and actually would have loved to have been in a rehab. unit which have the facilities and support you would need, so do seriously consider it if it is being offered. I literally could not move from the sofa where the ambulance transport  carried me to after discharge- day or night. I had a commode next to it, but if my heel wasn't held when trying to sit even going to the commode right next to the couch it was very painful (as the pain lessened I have found a scarf around my heel with a cushion in front does the job but at first it was so painful when moved that having my husband at home made a big difference). Thankfully a sofabed and wheelchair arrived within a few days that made life downstairs much better, if I had my time again I'd have got those things much earlier on so I didn't have to endure the pain of sleeping on a narrow couch in which you risk your leg falling off in the night (twice it nearly did, I woke up suddenly to violent pain and my good leg quickly caught the ankle before it went completely over the edge). Ask them about simple things like how to use the crutches if you can't lift your leg (I still don't know the right answer to this but have found a way of doing it sideways), how to get to the commode if they give you one, how to wash, I think they often think of rehabilitation as being exercises in a gym, but we need to know the basic survival stuff too- a rehab centre might help you with that if you were able to go there a few days- also they might have somewhere accesible you could wash which you should definitely take the opportunity while you can as after 5 weeks since accident I hate  that I can't bath or shower and rely on a friendly face cloth and a small sink.

The others are much more experts than me on wider recovery but just thought I'd share my early experience so you can make choices to get the right level of support early on.

Diane  :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:25:55 AM by diane72 »
12/01/2016,
Didn't notice my 4 year old's microscooter,planted my foot and went flying, schoolbag, workbag, catbowl, BANG!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5928 on: February 17, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »
Hi Diane and Johanna

It`s early days yet, but in some months hence, you should be looking to purchase a floor cycle - It costs about £35 from Amazon or $50 - a very useful piece of equipment.

Where do both you ladies live?

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5929 on: February 17, 2016, 01:06:09 PM »
Diane, if you haven't gleaned this nugget yet, it helps to have something to loop around your foot to lift your leg up. I used an arrangement with a belt and luggage strap, but whatever works.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5930 on: February 17, 2016, 08:59:09 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the tip John! I'm in one of the villages that sit in between Watford and Hemel Hempstead (near Kings Langley).

Hi Stuart, all nuggets definitely welcomed. Through trial and error I discovered a lovely pashmina scarf my brother gave me one Christmas has become my best friend for getting on and off the bed/couch/toilet etc. Did you somehow use it to help with moving your bad leg forward with the crutches? (I really haven't figured that one out yet and can only go sideways on a very smooth surface where I can slide the bad leg to follow the good one sideways, haven't got a clue how to move forward).

Diane  ;)
12/01/2016,

Offline Johanna

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 104
« Reply #5931 on: February 17, 2016, 09:14:18 PM »
Hi there: John, Stuart and Diane...I surely appreciate your advice.  I live near Palm Springs CA, however my surgeon is near Pasadena - as are the rest of my doctors (where I used to reside) and my plan covers a circumference in the San Gabriel Valley, so I will be in that location for my surgeries and rehab.  I definitely plan on purchasing a floor cycle.  It sounds like a sound investment in my recovery. 

I found reading of your experience Diane very useful on what you found helped and what to avoid.  I will be ordering a hospital bed for my living room (like I did for my TKR).  I also intend to make sure I have a wheelchair on hand.  I do have a  3 in 1 commode left over from the previous surgery as well.  And, I have installed rails and a raised toilet seat.  My walk in shower has a rail built into the shell, I also have a grab rail just in front of the stall to use as I enter/exit it. I already have a strap which I used to rehab my knee post the TKR, and it has loops on it - for my foot.  That should help me navigate my leg on and off the bed. 

The 3 in 1 commode also serves as a shower chair, although I am not real thrilled with it.  I'd like something a bit more substantial since I am larger than I'd like.  I looked into some on Amazon.  One red one looked good, but one of the reviewers said it was quite slippery when wet.  That's  the last thing I need to worry about and is enough to deter me from purchasing it.

I plan on checking out rehab units very carefully.  I had a horrific experience in the one I was assigned after my TKR (long story - will post about that later on...suffice it to say that I had to go to the ER and just went straight home, earlier than expected, afterwards.)  My concern about these rehab places is that though well-intentioned, the employees were minimum wage earners with little to no credentials compared to the great nurses that cared for me in the hospital.  Further, they were expected to cover about 18 non ambulatory patients in a given shift. (It was more of a nursing home than a rehab center and earned a CMS average rating of 1.  I subsequently learned that Medicare had actually suspended payment to the facility for a year.  Yikes!!)  Perhaps this was an exception, I certainly hope so.  Needless to say, with a considerably more complicated procedure, I want to ascertain that I receive the best support possible to insure that I have a favorable outcome this time around. 

Thanks again for your response to my first post.  It is a comfort being able to read here.
Patella Tendon tear in middle sometime after TKR. TKR surgery 12/16/14; PTR diagnosed 10/23/15. Patella Tendon only 3/4 inch long - noted during surgery. Birth defect (?) 3 prior surgeries on  (2)LK (Kerlan/Jobe) 1 RK performed in late 70s. Patellas 1/2 reg. size subluxed - age 6

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5932 on: February 17, 2016, 09:31:56 PM »
Just wanted to say 'hello' Johanna,

Sounds like your place is well-kitted out, which will make a massive difference. I'm especially jealous of the walk-in shower. Oh how I would so love to have a shower (we only have a bath in our downstairs bathroom so I can't get into it), I really did take washing beyond a facecloth for granted!

We don't have rehab units here in the UK so interesting to hear about what they can be like. I got discharged from hospital and then the next time I saw a health care professional was 2.5 weeks later (literally only minutes with the consultant though) and I have my next appointment next Thursday. However, after the advice on here I have now found myself a physio, with patellar tendon injury experience, that I am going to see next Tuesday so that I can collect all the questions she needs to know in advance of my appointment with the consultant.

Sending you lots of good luck for the upcoming surgery

Diane

P.S. Should have said John, although I live in Hertfordshire, I do originate North of the border as a Scots lass!

12/01/2016,

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5933 on: February 18, 2016, 04:54:17 PM »
Hi Diane 

Important that you now  trawl through the previous posts on this thread & draw up a list of questions.

Which part of Hertfordshire?

Best/ JohnKManchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5934 on: February 18, 2016, 06:07:35 PM »
I'm right on the border of Herts. & Bucks. John, in a village near Kings Langley if you know where that is  :)

Yes been working my way through the historic posts on screen 16 so far   ::)

D
12/01/2016,

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5935 on: February 18, 2016, 06:47:59 PM »
I know Kings Langley railway station - keep trawling  through more posts and consolidate your questions

Best/ John
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:50:59 PM by John42 »

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline f4nat1c

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #5936 on: February 19, 2016, 06:17:45 AM »
This is my after action review of my patellar tendon rupture that happened 2.3 years ago in hope that it might help anyone out there who suffered from this injury.

About me
26 years old at the time of injury. My profession is in the armed forces so Iím physically very active. Never had knee problems of any sort before this. Iím from Sweden.

The injury
I was securing my climbing partner when he took a fall and I was thrown in to the cliff in front of me with a moderate force. My left leg hit a very sharp rock witch cut up a 20-25cm long wound at lower part of the knee/upper calf. Looking down at my knee I thought ďs**t, Iím not going to run for quite a whileĒ. There wasnít much of a bleeding but we got the wound wrapped up in gauze bandage to lower the risk of infection. Then we manage to move me about 50 meter down to the car and drove to the hospital. I was sheduled for surgery the day after the injury.

During the night there was a lot of pain.

Picture of the injury at the hospital before starting the medical care:
https://goo.gl/ajMR9w

1st surgery - the day after the injury
I hit the surgery with the knowledge that a tendon might be ruptured. At the surgery they found out that my patellar tendon was both ruptured and cut in half. They sutured it together and fixed it with titanium anchors and reinforcing it with a wire around the knee cap to keep it down. I get fixed with a brace at 0*.

1 week post 1 surgery
The pain after the surgery was even worse then that of the injury. I found myself not wanting to move at all  because of a the pain.
Day 2: I managed to get on the crutches 3 times just to get moving.
Day 4: I got home from the hospital. Still in lot of pain. Trying to move my foot in circles to get the blood circulation in my leg but even that is painful.

2 weeks post 1 surgery
The worst pain is gone while staying still. Still a lot of pain as soon as I get on the crutches. Feels like a burning feeling below the knee cap. Trying to move as much as a possibly can while enduring the pain.

3 weeks post 1 surgery
Feeling less pain and getting stronger by the day. Two steps forward, one step back. At my first check post injury they find out that the have put my knee cap to low so they have to correct it with a 2nd surgery. They do this 20 days after the first surgery.

2nd surgery
I have no idea what they are going to do when entering this surgery. All I know is that the doctor doing this surgery is a lot more experienced then the doctor doing the first one.

He redo the whole 1st surgery. Removing the titanium and the wire. Instead he uses poly suture to fix the patella tendon to the bone using holes drilled in the bone(tibia) as anchor. He reinforces the surgery with a poly suture around the knee cap that anchors in the tibia.

Xray of the first and the second surgery:
https://goo.gl/UxG9Jj

1 weeks post 2 surgery
A lot of pain again. Looking back at the injury now the 1-2 weeks after the surgery is the worst part. Itís a lot of pain and not much to be done. My advice is just move! Try move a lot to get blood circulating and to lose as little strength as possible. You will need it.

2 weeks post 2 surgery
I meet my PT. She gives me a program witch I try to follow strict as I can. Doesnít do anything to my brace. PT says that full range motion is the most important task ahead.
A lot of the swelling around the knee disappears.

3 weeks post 2 surgery
PT: Tests my mobility and I can move to about 65*. She unlocks it to 50*. Adds scaled squats and stand on toe to my program. Working on my walking pattern with crutches to mimic my normal walking pattern.
Still swollen.
Managed to walk 3 km on crutches.

4 weeks post 2 surgery
PT: Mobility test hitting 70*. Moving the brace to 60*.
I working my program pretty strict. Trying to do a lot of scaled squats as they help me gain mobility and strength.

5 weeks post 2 surgery
PT: Locks up the brace to 70*.The rehab works well and I can mimic normal walk for about 1 km with the help of crutches and the brace on. PT says I can experiment walking without the brace at shorter distances.
The exercises sometimes causes swelling and pain when hitting the limit.

6 weeks post 2 surgery
PT: Will meet for a program update about 1/month. Says I can use common sense to add up exercises as long as I listen to the pain.
Starting to sleep without the brace. I can walk for about 1-2 km with crutches and without the brace.
90* mobility now.

8 weeks post 2 surgery
I manage without crutches and brace now. Doing lighter exercises now on stationary bikes, running in water, scaled squats and walking down hill is my main program by this time.
Reaching 125-130* mobility.

10 weeks post 2 surgery
130-135* mobility
Working a lot on mobility with foam rollers.
Adding light kettlebell deadlifts to gain strength.

12 weeks post 2 surgery
Knee swelled up a lot this week. But the pain didnít increase at least.

12-14 weeks post 2 surgery
Bad weeks. Almost no gains.

15-16 weeks post 2 surgery
Good weeks with rehab almost all days of the week.
Leg extensions, box squats, lunges, swimming, stationary bikes, cross trainer etc
Went walking for 4 hours but got really tired in my leg after that.
Walking down stairs and sitting down for long hours is still a problem.

22 weeks post 2 surgery
Taking the bike to work everyday, 2.3 km one way. Doing rehab about 6 times each week now. Working on one legged squats to chair now but its wiggling.

11 months post 2 surgery
Hiked 105 km on 4 days with a 10 kg backpack.
I can run ok for 2-5 km.
Can do 7 pistols on the injured leg now.

22 months post 2 surgery
Hiked 200 km on 6 days with a 20 kg backpack.
I have hiked in mountains and climbed 2000 meters of altitude in one day.
Can run 5-7 km in pretty good pace now.
Doing a lot of strength training even thou itís no way near where I was it feels good.

Where Im at today 2.3 years after the injury
Iím doing a lot of strength training and living an active life. The complications of the injury is less limiting for each month passing. Even thou Iím FAR form where I was before the injury I feel I can get back to almost full physical capacity if I work hard at it for 2 more years. Mentally there are some dips at times but 95% of the time Iím really happy and enjoying life as it is right now. Every progress a moment of victory. I still work in the armed forces and itís only the most heavy and enduring stuff thatís limiting me right now.

Lessons learned

- How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
- The progress will not be linear. For me it is two steps forward and one step back. Just keep moving.
- Keep a journal so that you can see your progress! Otherwise it can be hard to notice any at all.
- I canít recommend http://www.mobilitywod.com enough. Saved my life and helped me get full mobility back.
- If you get stuck somewhere a long the way, try new things, ask another PT, youtube exercises and try them out.
- As soon as you can do exercises that mimic normal leg function do them(Squats, lunges etc)
- When you get of the pain meds add Omega-3  and Vitamin D supplementary.
- Try acupuncture if you feel knee pain. It helped me.
- I get worse if I donít workout. My left leg gets weaker and my right leg compensates even thou itís 2.3 years after the 2nd surgery.
- Donít be afraid of strength training.

Thanks everyone on this forum. It helped me a lot reading about people in a similar situation and removing a little bit of the uncertainty of the injury. I hope this helps someone.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:27:01 PM by f4nat1c »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5937 on: February 19, 2016, 07:40:34 AM »
Hi f4natic

Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru -  you have kept a very precise log of your rehab which contains a great deal of information for fellow RPT patients.

there is light at the end of the tunnel - please keep posting.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5938 on: February 20, 2016, 01:14:42 AM »
f4natic, Thank you so much for detailed account. It really is so useful and inspiring to hear the stories of others, especially as I am 3 weeks post-op. That first pic did look a bit scary-what a shock it must have been. It has made me think it may be good to keep a diary, so when you feel like you've made no progress you can look back and see how far you have come. I can so relate to the first few days after surgery you describe and the pain and you are right week 3 is much better than week 1, so although I feel progress is so slow things have improved.

As for me......
I just so need to better crack the crutches and get out of the wheelchair more, I have my first physio appointment on Tuesday and I am really hoping they show me how to go forward on the crutches instead of my sideways shuffle. The consultant's only advice was 'try work up to bending the knee to 30 degrees and get about on the crutches with toe weight bearing more' but no advice on 'how' so I've made up my own exercises for now: Heel slides while sitting on the edge of the sofabed or wheelchair (30s bent, 10 s relax time x 10), lots of ankle pumps at least hourly, putting my heel on a French dictionary while lying down and holding the leg straight for 10 minutes then, 10x squeezing my thigh muscles hard for 10 seconds, followed by 10 s rest.Trying to do it every 3 hours while awake.

I can get to nearly 30 degrees today but not for long, it feels like someone has put a lead block on top of my knee and a vice around it when I try to bend beyond 20.

Slowly but surely I guess

Good night everyone,

Diane  :)
12/01/2016,

Offline Bmcnamara417

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #5939 on: February 22, 2016, 06:05:52 AM »
Hey everyone!

Well I read this site a lot in 2012 when I ruptured my left patellar tendon.  Well now on Feb 6th 2016 I ruptured my right one!  That's what I get for trying to impress my 4yo daughter and slam dunk on an 8.5 basketball hoop in the driveway.  I guess this stuff happens to 41 year olds!  The good news is that when I did it in 2012 I had an amazing recovery.  I ruptured that one in early May and was back to full duty as a firefighter by August 13th.  Doctor said he has never seen anything like it.  This one is pretty much the same deal.  I had surgery this past Thursday and was released from hospital the same day.  Things were good till I tried to get up for the bathroom Friday morning.  BAD IDEA! My knee was on fire for most of the day that day and I never left the couch again.  Layed pretty low yesterday  (thank God Nascar was on all day).  Started to move around this morning.  Really only using one crutch on injured sided.  Doctor said weight baring was ok as long as brace was on and locked straight.  I did all kinds of little things around house today.   NO PERCOCET EITHER, well until it was time for bed tonight!  I'm a little sore but not bad.  Gonna sleep in brace tonight  (I haven't been).  PT starts Thursday....time to rock it out!  My goal is golf before June! Now if I could just sleep....I took some ambian...so I should be out like a light soon.....I hope.  I plan on  following this thread and continuing to post updates.......

Brett
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:30:09 PM by Bmcnamara417 »

support