Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249635 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5910 on: February 14, 2016, 07:07:56 PM »
Hi Diane72

Welcome to the RPT thread of KneeGuru

First things first - you are in for a long haul to recover from this pretty rare injury - so step one - read some of the previous posts on this thread.

Click on the undermentioned thread, and you will learn a lot about your injury and the rehab process. You should be aiming for 30 deg ROM ( range of movement ) in about six weeks time, and you will be doing a lot of physio for the first six months - remember "" PATIENCE "" is the keyword.

Sleep with a cushion/pillow between your legs - You will not be allowed to drive for at least three months or until your OS allows you to do so.

ASK questions - lots of buddies on this thread will give you tips and encouragement

Take care, no walking on wet grass/ice/snow etc.

JohnK/ Manchester
p.s. I lived in Bushey Heath for five years

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #5911 on: February 14, 2016, 07:29:41 PM »
Thanks John,

Really appreciate it! :) I think I will feel more comfortable when I can talk to a physio., rather than 2 minutes with a busy consultant! I am just exploring the other posts as we speak-something comforting about knowing there are others out there. Still can't believe I did this by not noticing my 4 year old's scooter. I have been looking at private physios in Bushey for once I get the OK to contact one from the consultant!

Diane
Patellar tendon complete rupture,
12/01/2016,
Didn't notice my 4 year old's microscooter,planted my foot and went flying, schoolbag, workbag, catbowl, BANG!

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5912 on: February 14, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »
...P.S. Thanks for the link-very useful
12/01/2016,
Didn't notice my 4 year old's microscooter,planted my foot and went flying, schoolbag, workbag, catbowl, BANG!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 400
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5913 on: February 14, 2016, 07:39:33 PM »
Many (if not all) of the top knee surgeons  from the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital have their private practice at the Spire Bushey, so probably worth doing some research into their physio team and finding out their experience rehabbing your particular injury

http://www.stanmoreortho.co.uk

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5914 on: February 14, 2016, 08:23:44 PM »
Thanks Vickster! Really appreciate it!

Diane
12/01/2016,

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5915 on: February 14, 2016, 10:32:50 PM »
Hi Diane

Should have mentioned, make sure that you find a physio who has dealt with this type of rare injury - not many have from experience

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5916 on: February 14, 2016, 10:46:32 PM »
Great to get these tips-I will definitely ask the question!!

Diane
12/01/2016,

Offline madvillain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 203
« Reply #5917 on: February 15, 2016, 09:56:43 PM »
Diane:  it's a serious injury, serious surgery, and serious recovery.  I'm shocked that they sent you home diagnosed as a sprain and I'm glad you were able to get through surgery without complications.

The numbness is completely normal and will be with you for well over a year.  I still have some at 14 months.  (14 months, time flies...)

As for "getting to 30 degrees" you'll need both the strength and the range of motion to come back.  I highly recommend quad isolation sets, situps, and heal slides for the first two months.   Do "sets" of them as often as possible.  If you don't have a training background you will def want to schedule some PT sessions so you can learn what you should be doing.  It's a critical time for you injury and you want to try and arrest as much muscle atrophy as possible.

The Internet and Youtube are great resources but it can be overwhelming at first, especially if you don't have any background in sports/training.

There will be many tough moments ahead of you but you'll get through it and your knee will get better the key is hard work and safety through the first 3-4 months.  Try and avoid small kids, dogs, crowds, slippery slopes, etc as much as possible.

John's advice about the pillow is awesome.  Sleeping will be hard for the first couple months.

Many of us here have come back from this injury and regained prior levels of fitness and everyday use but it's a long journey.

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5918 on: February 16, 2016, 01:17:26 AM »
Hi MV,

I have to say that week after injury with no leg support at all has got to be one of the most excruciatingly painful weeks of my life (it took my husband and I nearly an hour just to get back in the house as I just couldn't do the step up to the door we finally found a way of pushing a chair close to the door, me sitting down and then my husband pulling the seat into the house), thank goodness it finally got correctly diagnosed and the surgery a fortnight later.

Thanks for the advice, I really need it right now and am feeling a bit desperate so really thankful to connect with others who understand what it is like (I genuinely think my work think I'm hopping around the house happily making cups of tea and reading good books, which is so not my life right now-5 weeks without a shower or bath is never a good thing and the sink just isn't the same!).

Needless to say I don't have great faith in the system right now and I  have to say I am seriously worrying that the consultant I have at Watford General isn't an expert as the advice has been almost non-existant. He literally told the nurse to take the bandages off and put a leg brace on that flexes between 0-30 degrees and she simply told me not to touch it and to get used to bending it to 30 degrees in the next fortnight and to start walking on the crutches more. No advice on how to walk with crutches if you can't lift your leg, no advice on excercises to strengthen my leg or gradually increase ROM. I did ask about a physio and the consultant just said 'oh it's too early for that'. But at the same time he gives no advice on 'how' to achieve the things he talked about.

I'm happy to pay privately for a physio so I think I'm just going to get some advice if I can. I have looked on you tube but as I said to my husband I don't want to get it wrong. The issue is getting to a physio right now of course, as I found it nearly impossible to get in the car the other day for the hospital and ended up with my leg on the dashboard with the good leg trying to hold it in position.

Another quick question- my leg brace is permanently on 0-30 degrees, whereas I see on many of the websites they have it locked at 0 while walking and only flexing while trying to improve ROM. Do you remember what you had, did any of you also have it in 0-30 permanently at ~3 weeks post op.?

Thanks again for all the help, it is truly appreciated,

Diane

P.S. May be difficult to avoid small children as I have a 4 year daughter, believe me it has been a challenge trying to protect my leg from her. I feel so bad for her as she is used to jumping on my knee for a snuggle  :(
12/01/2016,

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5919 on: February 16, 2016, 07:40:41 AM »
Hi Diane

Reading your last post triggers the question - how many RPT`s has the surgeon done in his lifetime - my consultant stated that I was the second in twentyeight years - makes you think.

To shower, we placed a small chair in the shower, but covered the injured knee with part of a plastic binbag to keep it dry.  Not easy, but it worked.

I used to lie down in the back seat of the car as my wife took me around.

Keep posting.

JohnK/ Manchester UK 

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5920 on: February 16, 2016, 10:57:15 AM »
Hi John,

Yes, I have been questioning the same thing about the surgeon's experience, I'd guess his age is early-mid 30s, although I guess it is a bit random if they have handled one before.

Re: washing, we only have a bath downstairs where I am. The stairs look as likely as Mount Kilimanjaro to me at the moment, but even if I could get up there the shower upstairs is in a bath that is quite high up (it is raised to avoid the pump). So annoying. I did order one of those kind of rubber shower attachments for the sink so I could wash my hair better but it didn't fit our tap so it was back to awkwardly bending as far forward as I could to use a tumbler to wash my hair in the sink and using a facecloth (I have alot of long, thick hair so it is no easy task to wash my hair with a tumbler!).

I'm going to have to experiment with the car. My car is an Astra and the back seat is quite far back, half of it behind the metal of the car and low down so diffcult to get to from the side, but I need to try again and see what is possible as the front seat option risks dislocating my hip or re-damaging my tendon-which is the last thing I need!! 

Well the good news is I'm living on a sofa bed in the living room that Next very kindly expedited the delivery of a few days after getting out of hospital, as I was solely on the couch before as I couldn't get  upstairs to bed and Red Cross provided a wheelchair, which means I can get to things like the downstairs bathroom more easily in the house independantly if my husband is out of the house for work. Really need to crack how to do the crutches forwards it would make such a difference.

I have another question for people (sorry so many just now):
- for the heel slides did people do them lying flat on the bed or by sitting over the edge of the bed/a chair with the heel resting on the floor or both

Thanks again for all the support,

Diane  :D

12/01/2016,

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5921 on: February 16, 2016, 11:37:22 AM »
Hi Diane

Make sure the two front seats are moved forward - then turn round with your back to the car, place your Bum on the rear seat and slide backwards on the back seat.  This works in most cases.

I applied for a blue badge at week 2, which was granted - suggest you have a try - it`s useful in later weeks at Tesco`s  etc.

When you next see your surgeon, ask him did he affix the tendon to the kneecap with sutres through four drill holes or fix them with wires, if the latter, then there will be in a few weeks time a further small operation, to remove the wires.

If the surgeon is 30 isch, then I suspect that he has not carried any or many RPT`s surgeries.
Best/John 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:41:21 AM by John42 »

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 85
« Reply #5922 on: February 16, 2016, 12:20:48 PM »
Hi Diane -

First, very sorry to hear of your injury and difficult journey thus far.  You've landed on the right board though!  You'll get lots of good advice.

I've got to run to work here, but wanted to throw in a couple of important things.

First, as John mentions, find out what they did in your surgery.  Super important.  Secondly, find a PT that understands what this is and has worked with it in the past.  May take a few calls, but worth the time investment.

Third, learn the protocols.  There are several out there.  Just Google "Patellar Tendon Rupture Protocol" and you should see several.  The University of Wisconsin was one that I found to be very helpful but there are others and they generally agree.

Take a read through my posts.  I tried to document things pretty closely as to what to expect and the progress.

Finally, MadV is exactly right on the quad atrophy.  That was a miss in my recovery by me and my PT.  Should have been doing stim more aggressively and "quad sets" sooner.  Again, only with PT's concurrence on your end but the muscle rebuild is the longest journey.

One more thing on the range of motion.  Big note here is patience and caution.  Really, the repair takes at least 6 - 8 weeks to be considered good and really 12 weeks is when I started to push harder on the rehab.

But, again, find the right PT and the protocol.  We're here for you.  I would be happy to talk with you via phone (my dime) and help with any questions.  Just send me a private message.  I talked to another RPT'er early on and that was helpful. 

As to people knowing what this is and understanding.... They don't.  You'll have to educate them and don't be afraid to do so.

Have faith!  You'll get through this.

Best.

John
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:23:02 PM by jhs0804, Reason: edit »

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5923 on: February 16, 2016, 01:19:37 PM »
Diane, welcome? To the club. Everyone is different and I was an RQT but the principles are the same. Regarding crutches, I have arthritis in my wrists so abandoned them after the first week. I was back at work three days after surgery, so needed to get around. I had a very experienced and aggressive PT, again see thread, who put me on a bike at my first visit, at two weeks and by three weeks did a full revolution.never looked back.
Can think of no reason why weight bearing with a brace on, should be a problem. Use a cane if necessary for balance.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5924 on: February 16, 2016, 05:56:02 PM »
Hello All,

I can't express to you what a relief it is to find others that know what this is like. I have taken your advice and have done some research and contacted a few physios by e-mail to ask if they have specific experience in post-op patellar tendon recovery.

Re: the surgery, what I was told was that they had drilled holes into my kneecap to re-attach the tendon, but then also had inserted a wire mesh box srtucture to provide extra protection/support to the repair that would have to be removed by a small op. in the future (but they didn't say when). Any clues on what 'small op.' means do they have to re-open the whole leg again, also do you know when they remove it or is this variable?

Re: the crutches, what's interesting is when I first fell and I got the crutches with no leg support, although I couldn't put any weight at all on the leg,  I was able to use the crutches and hop really well. It was about 9 days later that there was a dramatic change and I could no longer lift my leg to hop and my thigh muscles started to spasm every time I tried to move and caused even more severe pain even though I was putting no weight on the leg just trying to lift it . I do wonder if I originally had some connecting fibres but then the delay in diagnosis/surgery meant they completely tore. I've never been able to lift the leg off the ground since. I am 43 years old. I'm not an athlete by any means, but generally a strong person (literally carried my 4 year old in a sling on my back while jungle trekking and exploring caves in Thailand end of last year and up and down a Volcano at X-mas and normally a strong swimmer). I have the strength in my arms for the crutches, I can do it sideways and drag my foot, I just can't seem to lift the foot off the ground or move it forward).

jhs0804, macV, john42, been looking at all the protocols so been trying to put my heel on a book resting it for 5 min then then tightening my quads (10x 10s at a time), heel pumps to keep the circulation going and slight heel slides to improve ROM (those seem to be much more difficult if on the bed and working against gravity versus if I am sitting on the very edge of the sofa bed with my leg flat out infront of me.)

John42, thanks for the tips on the blue badge and car!

Stuart, not sure what RQT is but will look at your thread. Wow, that is agressive and unimaginable to me, I think I'm a long way from where you were. 3 days after surgery I was struggling to even get to the commode next to the couch as the slightest touch of my leg even on a flat surface was agony (that has improved and I am now on naproxen rather than the oral morphine combo).

Feeling much more positive just having you guys offer help and advice, thank you so much!!

Diane :D

12/01/2016,

support