Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1267691 times)

Offline JoshD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 24
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5895 on: January 04, 2016, 07:46:01 PM »
TH72 -

Nice job with the recovery stats.  My surgery for Left PTR was on August 25...   so I am a few weeks ahead of you time-wise.   I live in the mountains in CO and ice is a VERY REAL risk.   Cheap yaktrax from Costco are really doing the trick.    That said, I am also re-engaging in some of my normal pursuits, albeit slowly and carefully.   I have about 130degree ROM, although I still walk with a slight limp.  When I'm tired, my limp increases.  I went snowshoeing twice this past weekend - and hit my 10k step (fitbit) goal for the first time.  My PT recommend snowshoeing (with proper equipment) as it forces a normal gait pattern, and is basically safe with ski poles and ability to pick terrain.   
Also, I am a rock climber and have returned to climbing in the rock gym.  I feel like I am using my left leg at about 20%, but am doing so without any pain (on top-rope, no risk of falling...)   

I only write this because back during my first month I was fairly certain i wouldn't be able to do anything ever again and sure needed some inspiration.  My goal is to return to work as a firefighter in two months, if my recovery is there.    Keep up the good work and enjoy getting stronger! 

Josh

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5896 on: January 04, 2016, 09:19:04 PM »
Given that my preferred winter pastime is hiking in the snow, I would like to express reservations about the use of Mimi-crampons, sometimes referred to as micro-spikes. Designed for use on packed snow or ice, they may be treacherous on concrete, or wood. I recommend rubber overshoes with short carbon studs embedded in the soles and heals. The rubber gives good traction on most surfaces while the carbide studs engage well on ice. The latter are sold in Canada most commonly in runners stores.
It goes without saying any traction device should be removed before going indoors!
Happy New Year to all, and be safe everybody.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 85
« Reply #5897 on: January 06, 2016, 01:47:58 AM »
Hi All -

Terho - So glad to hear about your progress!  Wow, you made a big leap from your previous post....

Would like to know which spikes you bought and where you got them.  We've had very little snow here in SE Michigan so thankful for that but I know it's coming....

Update here.  17 weeks (tomorrow) post op.  Got to full ROM yesterday at PT - about 140 degrees with assistance.  Unassisted is within probably 5 degrees of the other leg.  Very thankful.

Ramping up the quad building with:
Bike - 75 - 80 RPM on Level 3 (Lifecycle) for about 15 mins
Stair master - I have a Bowflex Max Trainer - 5 mins concentrating on using the injured leg to push.  It's definitely firing the VMO
Leg press - still just doing the machine weight until I get more confident.
Leg curls - standing with light weight and then on the horizontal machine
One leg lunges (balanced with hand)
Resistance training with multiple bands put together at the gym.  Just putting the last one around my waist and walking backwards and forwards to tension in the bands.
Standing squats on machine - light weight

Yesterday we started plyometrics. 
Basically, on a sled with bands where I:
-Push off with both legs and get a little air and then land.  No pain.
-Alternating legs to begin the process toward running..

Biggest milestone was walking 1/2 mile on the treadmill last Saturday.  Felt great until the back flamed up on me after I got done!  Reminded me that the lower back muscles are atrophied along with the glutes.  Chiropractor got me back in line yesterday!  Still felt great though to walk that far.

Final thing is I'm back FT at work and walking everywhere.  It's like finding a new toy....  Still some swelling but nothing like before.

Leg is coming back but still quite a bit smaller than the other leg but definition is returning.

I think I mentioned this before and maybe you guys feel the same way.  The more I return to normal the smaller the memory of the struggle that I went through from injury until I started walking again around December 3 is.  That is a great feeling and I am so thankful that my life is beginning to return to something resembling normal. 

This has been a tough road but that's nothing new to you guys.  For those earlier in the process, keep the faith and as John42 says, stay patient.  I can't thank him enough for his counsel.  Taking things slowly and steadily until at least week 8 and preferably week 12 is the key to ensure the repair is good to go.

Happy New Year to all!

John
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:15:57 AM by jhs0804, Reason: date change »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 212
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5898 on: January 06, 2016, 07:52:24 AM »
Hi JHS0804

Hi John

Delighted to learn that you are nearly back to normality - keep it up - and take care with snow, ice and wet.

Best wishes and keep us posted.

JohnK/Manchester UK 
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline madvillain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 203
« Reply #5899 on: January 06, 2016, 10:32:28 PM »
Final thing is I'm back FT at work and walking everywhere.  It's like finding a new toy....  Still some swelling but nothing like before.

Ha, yea, it's exciting to be able to walk again when you can't for a month or so.

jhs:  you are kicking ass.  Good work.  You're doing a lot of the work I was doing at that time frame and if you keep it up you'll be feeling as good as I am at a year and 1 month!

Exactly 56 weeks from the ruptures for me.  Did a 36" box jump yesterday and squatted 225lbs (first serious weight I've tried) to parallel yesterday.  Only did three reps but that will come with more training.  Also ran a 400m in 1:24.  As you can see I'm feeling frisky and trying to put down some good benchmarks.

Because of all the training I've done since the injuries I'm in the best cardio shape since I left college, easily.  Resting pulse is at 62 now.  Hell yea.  Feels good to put a year of hard work in and have it pay off.

I still have a fair amount of soreness after a couple hard workouts in a row but again it's nothing that doesn't go away with a day's rest and ice. 

Hiking season this year should be great for me.  Excited to see what I can do 50lbs lighter and with a full 18 months recovery behind me.  Last summer I did some easy overnights but nothing serious.  This is the year I get into the high country here in the PNW!  Maybe a three sisters trip.

stay well everyone and keep rowing that boat!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5900 on: January 10, 2016, 11:42:41 AM »
Hi Folks

It`s my 12th anniversary slipped on black ice,  ending up with a 118ROM, but managing most things.

However, the knee is sore following a walk, but I can put up with that.

Take care

Thank goodness - very few newbies in 2015

JohnK/ Manchester UK

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:53:27 PM by John42 »

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 85
« Reply #5901 on: January 30, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »
Hi Everyone -

Hope you all are doing great.

Quick update here.

20 weeks post op.  Reminder - 54 y/o male, 180 lbs.  Lost 12 - 14 lbs. since injury and plan on staying at my new weight.

Had "Graduation Day" at PT yesterday so I have been released into the wild!  Took the gang some coffee, muffins and bagels.  Hugs all around and I kept my composure (there's no crying in PT!) but I confess to some welling up.  They have been so great and balancing listening to me and what I've learned here and doing what they do which is pushing.  Couldn't be more pleased with the end result. 

Full ROM!  That, in itself, is amazing as about 2 months ago I was stuck in the 90 - 110 range.  When we did the final measure on the ROM, my therapist said "amazing" given the uphill struggle on that. One other thing to note on the amazing part is that they had to trim the tendon during surgery because it frayed when it came apart so full ROM is a gift....

Little to no swelling on the knee.  I fought that all the way through the new year but it looks like that has passed.

Leg mass is coming back but slowly. 

My walking is normal.  Have been walking without the cane for probably 2 - 3 weeks.  Even navigated some snow/ice (carefully mind you!).  I'm up to a mile very comfortably on the treadmill and even have worked in some light jogging in 30 second spurts without issue.

Still some tightness around the knee - particularly left side and front.  More so after a hard workout but present daily.  After leg presses, extensions, etc. at light weight, the quad and VMO get a little aggravated but I'm able to massage or roll them out.

Getting up and down stairs pretty well with the hand on the rail going down - going up both assisted and unassisted.

We've been fortunate that the weather has been pretty mild here in SE Michigan and I count that as a huge blessing.  Still have February to get through though and it can be a really cold and snowy month so fingers crossed.

So, that's it here.  Very thankful overall and for all of you.

Have a great weekend.

John

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5902 on: January 30, 2016, 12:36:12 PM »
Hi John

Delighted to learn of your return to the land of the living - keep it up, but as you are aware, keep away from snow and ice.

Keep posting

Best/JohnK Manchester UK 

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline buckwild

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5903 on: January 30, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »
Hi Guys

Iím now at week 20 post-op. Made some good gains when the brace finally came off (week 12) but think my progress has now started to plateau a bit.

I can now walk at a good pace though I can still feel the slightest hint of a limp. I also have full ROM and my PT and quad are now strong enough for me to walk up stairs

Whatís causing me the most grief is going down the stairs. I just canít seem to lower the injured knee far down enough without the uninjured leg thudding hard on to the bottom step.

Physiotherapist has given me some gluteus medius isolation exercises, along with squats (body weight) and single leg step downs, but I havenít noticed a whole lot of improvement the past 2 weeks

Anyone else have similar issues during their rehab?!? Got any hints, tips or cheat codes that I can possible use to get over this hurdle?!?!

Thanks guys

Col

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5904 on: February 01, 2016, 05:52:44 AM »
Hi Col

Still early days - only one word " Patience " 

Best/ John K Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline JoshD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #5905 on: February 01, 2016, 07:58:27 PM »
Buckwild - I'm about 26 weeks post op, and all of what you describe - exactly - I have been dealing with.  To mirror what John42 says, have patience.  I have improved dramatically week to week for the past 3 or 4 weeks.  It seems I'll just notice that something that was difficult (or impossible) all of sudden is possible.  ...a return to normalcy!   For instance, this week I feel about 50% stronger than I did last week both ascending and descending stairs.  I have definite weakness still, for sure, but it does get better.  Just stick to your PT and eat/drink/rest well!   
I have just started to incorporate the 'Indo Board' in a very careful and controlled manner (google it, it really activates the muscles all around my knee to where i can feel like im working it). 

Good luck and keep the positive recovery! 

Josh   

Offline buckwild

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5906 on: February 03, 2016, 05:58:48 AM »
Thanks for the reassurance John and Josh :)

I'll just keep plugging away

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5907 on: February 04, 2016, 03:21:49 PM »
Hey all! Hope everyone had a great holiday.  Can't believe it's February already.  Quick update: September 8, 2013 seems like FOREVER ago...until my family suggested we go bowling.  Anyway, felt good but next day had some serious swelling.  Eventually had to get knee drained which was a little humbling to be honest. Doc said the lunge/twist aspect of bowling creates lots of stress on outside of knee (even though I'm a slim 6'4") where I had substantial damage to the soft tissue.  He suggests avoiding this in the future. On other front, glad to read that everyone seems to be progressing well in their respective rehab.  Also, JOHN (JHS), I'm glad you got use out of the floor cycle and will "pay it forward" to some other unfortunate soul.  TOM, great to hear from you and I'm sorry about your daughter's surgery.  I coach girl's HS basketball and we had an ACL tear early in the season...it's all too common for girls unfortunately.  Well, until next time, peace to you all.   

NOTE: floor cycle link to Sears provided by JHS shows one poor review, but please don't let that influence you if you are looking for a quality product. I researched several floor cycles before buying this one and LOVED it (I'm sure JHS would agree). It is very sturdy with option of increasing resistance which I liked.  I used it before and after every "at home" PT session to loosen up and to cool down. I put 10s of thousands of revolutions on it and it still looked and worked like brand new. Thanks again, JHS.   
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:36:49 PM by JC55 »
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5908 on: February 04, 2016, 04:46:47 PM »
Hi JC55

Sorry to learn that you had a slight setback - so no more bowling - leave it to the youngsters.

You can get a good floor cycle on Amazon for about $50 or £35

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #5909 on: February 14, 2016, 06:49:21 PM »
Hello All,

I'm new to the site. I managed to fall over my 4 year old's scooter on NHS strike day, 12th January, and was turned away from A&E after a very painful journey getting there. I then was misdiagnosed at a minor injury unit as having 'a sprain' and was sent home with crutches and no leg support. A week later I finally got an ultrasound that confirmed my patellar tendon had completely torn through and 2 weeks after my fall got the surgery I needed at Watford General. I am now 3 weeks post-op and saw the consultant and had my flat brace and bandages removed on Thursday. They gave me a flexible brace set between 0-30 degrees and asked me to start using crutches more. I'm struggling a bit with the simplicity of the two minute advice and hoped you could help: (1) How do you move forward on crutches if you can't lift your bad leg off the ground in order to hop with the good one? (2) He said I should work up to 30 degrees but I had no idea does he mean in sitting or lying position and do you literally use your hand to move your leg or do you need to build up to your leg doing it on its own? (3) Finally did anyone have numbness, the right hand side of my scar to the outer side of my knee and a bit down are numb to touch.

Any advice really welcomed, I did say to the NHS consultant, what about physio and I would be happy to pay for it, but he said oh it's too early for that but then equally he doesn't have time to demonstrate 'how' to do the things he was asking of me.

Thanks,

Diane
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:59:59 PM by diane72 »
Patellar tendon complete rupture,
12/01/2016,
Didn't notice my 4 year old's microscooter,planted my foot and went flying, schoolbag, workbag, catbowl, BANG!