Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249458 times)

Offline TH72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 44
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5820 on: September 25, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
JC55, jhs0804 and John42,

Thanks for the welcome!

John42, I will be doing a lot of reading of previous posts, will check out your link, and will definitely ask questions as they come up.  Thanks for the pillow tip!

Patellar Tendon Rupture, left knee - 9/15/2015
Surgery - 9/17/2015

Offline madvillain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 203
« Reply #5821 on: September 25, 2015, 09:58:21 PM »
Almost 10 months for me now and it's hard to believe.  I've lost over 40lbs since the injury and I can safely say that I am in the best condition of my post college adult life.  It's amazing what an injury like this can do if you let it motivate you.

Only problem I have from time to time is swelling and mild tracking issues in the left knee.  It goes away with rest and ice but it bothers me enough sometimes to where I'm a little hesitant to jump or cut off it hard.  Oh well, I will take that if that's the worst of it.

I might have mentioned this the other day but I did squats down to parallel to 45 degrees with 135lbs the other week!  That was really cool.  I don't have any pain just a little stiffness when I do them.

Hope everyone is well.  The last poster that had the injury it sounds like you are doing well.  Continue to work hard it and will pay off.  I never really expected I'd be nearing a full athletic return in only 10 months but I played some high level tennis the other week and I was not worried about my knees as all and was just out there hitting again and cutting and jumping with about 90% or so speed as pre injury.

I have no doubt in another 6-8 months I'll be 100% or even faster.

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 85
« Reply #5822 on: September 26, 2015, 01:56:43 PM »
MadVillain.  Thanks for the encouragement.  You definitely went into beast mode on this.  If you're willing, I'd like to talk to you for a few minutes to get some insights.  If you could PM me your phone number, that would be great.

Update for All
I'm really happy with my OS and my PT separately.  The frustrating thing is the disconnection between the two.  Seems there should be an aggressive and thorough turnover of information because the reality is that what we have is a rare injury and the more each side talks the better outcome for the patient.  I gave that feedback to PT yesterday and they are going to call the doctor and get the surgery report and they agreed.  I don't want to be the broker of information between the two.  Reality is that I won't recall everything the OS said and PT.  So we'll get that worked out.

I'm someone who needs to know everything.  With that knowledge, you can plan and you can know when to push it and when you need to chill.  This is about balancing aggressiveness with safety and so the more we know about everything, the better off we'll be. 

On PT, yesterday (Day 2 of ROM), they got me to 53 degrees.  Very tight across the knee cap, but PT was reasonable and didn't push too hard.  Goal is 90 degrees over the next 4 weeks so I feel this is a good start. 

Definitely feeling tired today.  My wife had to go out of town so I'm single handing this for now.  I have buddies coming over to watch over me during shower time (I told them I'll keep it G-Rated!).  That is humbling but something you just have to get over.  I need help and that's it.

Also got myself downstairs (I'm on the main floor of the house) so to get to the car I have to be able to manage a flight.  Pretty simple.  I go down sideways, hold the rail and use the crutch as needed.  Also drove to PT yesterday.  I can get my seat back just far enough by backing it up and lowering the back rest to drag my leg in.  But, I have to say that I am exhausted today even after a pretty good night's sleep.  So, I know the plan today is football, sleep and food!  But it is what it is.  Great milestone week so I rest peacefully in that.

Big shout out to JC55 who is generously sending me a floor cycle and only asked for shipping costs.  He asked me to pay it forward and I will do the same as soon as I am able to switch to another option.  Thanks again.

That's it for today.  Have an awesome day and know that this setback is a setup for a comeback!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 02:03:49 PM by jhs0804 »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5823 on: September 26, 2015, 04:21:03 PM »
Hi jhs0804

Several points -

ROM after six weeks range 35/45 ROM - don`t try for any more until week 9/10.

Ask your PT " have you seen this type of injury before"?

Watch the driving - have you got the OK from your OS - otherwise you might invalidate the car insurance cover.

Best/ JohnK/Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5824 on: September 26, 2015, 06:14:56 PM »
Hi John42

Thanks for the note.  Doc said 90 degrees in the next 4 weeks.  But I'll check how he wants that to progress.  I mentioned it to the PT yesterday that I want to make sure we're not pushing too hard so we're on the same page there.

On the driving, I'm clear to go per OS.  I have an automatic and my right foot is the good foot.  Also making sure left leg is clear of the brake pedal so should be good to go.

I do have a question and that is how much to push the one crutch walking.  Again, don't want to under or over exert.  Any guidelines?

So far, I am pain free but am mindful that attachment really is a 12 week progress.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5825 on: September 26, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »
Hi jhs0804

My own view is 90ROM at 12 weeks is pushing it - listen to your knee - bear in mind that the tendon will not be fully healed - or as I always quote - nobody wants a rerupture.

At 12 weeks should be safe to do away with the single crutch, maybe go down to using a walking stick, but avoid wet - grass areas and ice/snow - lethal.

Take care and keep posting.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline TH72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5826 on: September 30, 2015, 12:53:26 AM »
Had my first post-op appointment today with my OS.  They removed the staples and incision looks good.  Knee is rather swollen, but it felt good to air out for a while with the brace off.  Per the OS, the tendon had signs of chronic tendonitis, and had looked like spaghetti.  He mentioned that there are signs or arthritis in the knee as well.  I have had post-game knee pain in my earlier years, so I guess this did not surprise me.  Apparently the operation went well.

In two weeks (four weeks post-op) I will begin PT, which will consist of 0-30 gentle passive ROM and static quad work.  No active quad extension allowed.  This afternoon I tried to activate my quad without a lot of success.  It's crazy how quickly that can deteriorate!  In the past I used to think, how hard can that be?

With my knee swollen, and my brace sliding down and pushing against the knee, it causes discomfort when I am up and moving around.  I can weight bear 50/50 when standing still with no pain or discomfort, but because of the swelling, I don't weight bear when moving around.  Today's question:  Should I be icing the knee as often as possible in an attempt to combat the swelling?

Still am thankful that I can move around with relative ease on crutches when needed.  Can't imagine what it would be like with both legs injured.  I have huge respect for the double RPT members out there!

Terho
Surgery - 9/17/2015

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5827 on: September 30, 2015, 06:22:40 AM »
Hi Terho

Icing and elevation would help - don`t push it - patience the tendon has got to heal.

Keep asking questions.

JohnK/ Manchester UK 

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5828 on: October 01, 2015, 12:16:27 PM »
Hi Terho -

Glad the operation went well!  I've learned to make a big deal out of all good news.  John42 has said it over and over and that is patience.  Hard to do but absolutely necessary.  We don't want to restart the process!

On the brace, I had the same issue with pushing on the knee.  What I've done is bring it up a little higher and then tighten the straps nearest the knee and then work outward from there.  And get them tight.  I also tighten the lowest one near the ankle pretty tight.  Don't cut off the blood flow but get it to stay in place.

Getting the fluid off the knee is priority.  So icing, elevating and I bought a Gua Sha tool that was recommended here.  Here is the link  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1LY8OA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

When I go to PT, the first thing they do is massage the knee and push the fluid upward toward the groin.  The idea is to get the fluid into the lymphatic system so it can flush out of your body.  I use the Gua Sha tool to gently mimic what they are doing at home and it works. 

The final thing is to undo the brace when you are sitting and it is elevated to let the leg breath and fluid flow toward the groin.  Double check with you OS on this but I've seen similar advice on the board here.

Again, OS drives the protocol but check with him/her on what I've shared and see if they agree. 

Totally agree with you on the double RPT's.  I can't imagine what they've gone through.  Warriors for sure!

Have a great day.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5829 on: October 01, 2015, 12:59:11 PM »
Hi jhs0804

Found your post very interesting and informative - keep up the good work.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline TH72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5830 on: October 01, 2015, 08:03:02 PM »
jhs0804, thanks for the great info!  I don't move around much at home, basically bathroom breaks, but when I do, the brace pushes on my knee.  I will try your technique for strapping the brace on.  The scraping tool looks interesting, and I recall a previous poster suggesting it when I was reading posts several pages back.  I will definitely pick one up.  It looks like a small for large benefit.  In a few weeks time, I will look for a floor cycle like John42 suggests.  Makes all kinds of sense.

John42, thanks again for preaching patience!  It is hard to follow through with, but I certainly would not want to do something aggressive and go back to square one.  What I have been reading is 6 weeks to PT and close to fully healed by 12 weeks.  Would these guidelines apply for a person that has suffered from chronic tendonitis as well?  Apparently my tendon was pretty shredded.

Thanks for the input guys!  Much appreciated!
Surgery - 9/17/2015

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5831 on: October 01, 2015, 11:23:33 PM »
Hi Terho -

One thing to think about on the floor cycle is to go ahead and get it.  Main reason is to use it for your upper body.  My PT place has an arm cycle and I get on it every time I'm there.   I'm up to 7 minutes which is starting to give me some cardio back.  I can go longer but realize that the upper body is super important right now so trying not to overdo it.

Every morning I use the floor cycle that JH55 sent me for at least a couple minutes to wake up.  So, just think about buying it now.  As always, check with your OS.  I'm thinking any incremental thing you can do safely will benefit you.

I realize every situation is different and I'm not in your shoes but I was told to get up and about even if it was transitioning from bed to chair and back a few times a day. 

Keep rolling!

Offline TH72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5832 on: October 02, 2015, 12:32:21 AM »
jhs0804,

good idea regarding the cycle.  I have some free weights that I have been using for upper body, but using the floor cycle for an upper body workout would be good cardio.  I actually have it loaded into the Amazon shopping cart right now!

Terho
Surgery - 9/17/2015

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5833 on: October 04, 2015, 05:20:49 PM »
Hi Folks

For me, the floor cycle was a godsend - sit in your favorite chair, watch T V and cycle away.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5834 on: October 06, 2015, 02:01:19 PM »
Good Morning -

I just wanted to update everyone on something that I have come across that might help others if it comes up.

I thought I was starting to have knee pain.  Specifically, when I got out of a chair and the leg wasn't perfectly in front of me.  Then, when I sat down on the toilet, I would get the same kind of throbbing pain in the knee.

Then, I sat on one of our high chairs that are at our island in the kitchen and it happened again.

The cause was something totally different than I thought.  I found that the pain was originating on the inside/almost back of my leg right by the groin.  PT told me that was common and probably due to the leg being straight all the time and I may have strained it a bit.  The abductor...  So, the odd finding is that even though the issue originated in the groin/top/back of leg it was referring pain to the knee.  Crazy but it seems these things pop up and I'm thankful that so far I've found resolution for all of them.  I reference the burning pain in my pec muscles which PT dug in and worked out earlier in a prior post.

So, just documenting the crazy stuff that happens in case someone else faces the same thing.

Have a great day.