Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249588 times)

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 85
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5805 on: September 19, 2015, 10:22:48 PM »
Thanks, John.  Yep, I know it's going to be a long one.  I am trying to get back to work this coming week on Wednesday which is 2 weeks post op.  On the driving, I may be able to improve on the timing as I have an automatic.  Biggest issue is getting in and out of the driver's side which I haven't attempted yet.  Multiple times on the passenger side and I've figured out how to do that.

I thought of a couple more things.  First, is a tip for the newcomers.  To lift my leg, I am using a belt and wrapping it through the loop and pulling tight just below the calf.  Huge help and no pain.  So, hope that helps someone. 

Back on the work, can anyone recommend which type of seating should I get for the office?  I've thought maybe a wheel chair since I move frequently from floor to floor and office to office.  Anyone recommend one that is comfortable?  I'd take my recliner but it doesn't have wheels  ;).

Third is my full length brace.  Does anyone have a favorite that is comfortable and reasonably easy to put on?  I have a DonJoy with Velcro cinch straps.  As the legs smaller, the straps are hard to cinch as they are going around the leg to the back which is difficult - particularly toward the ankle.

Final thing is on the sleeping.  OK to sleep on my side?  Should surgery leg be up or down or does it matter? 

Thanks for any help.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5806 on: September 20, 2015, 09:47:50 AM »
Hi Col

Sleeping on your side is no problem, but again slip a cushion between your knees it takes the pain away from the injured knee.

On the question of driving - you invalidate your car insurance policy until such time that you receive the OK from your OS to drive - even then, you must have the power to do an emergency stop. Drive with your seat right back, which will give you the extra ROM (range of movement).

Keep on reading.

JohnK./Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5807 on: September 20, 2015, 04:06:09 PM »
Thanks, John. 

I just bought a Kneehab unit actually for both knees as I think the right knee (the good one) is going to need to be cared for to keep it strong.  Some some great articles on here about that so hope that it delivers.  Seems to me that getting the quad back in the game is going to be key and going to be hard so hoping this helps.  I'll take any incremental advantage I can get!

This forum is unbelievable - really helpful.  If anyone is on a similar path to me time-wise (9/5 injury and 9/9 surgery), please let me know and we can work through this together.

Have a great day everyone. 

John

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5808 on: September 20, 2015, 07:00:05 PM »
Hi John

What is a "Kneehab unit?

Best

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5809 on: September 20, 2015, 07:42:40 PM »
Hi John -

It is supposed to help with rebuilding the quadriceps muscle.  Here is a link.

http://www.neurotechgroup.com/us/products/kneehab-xp

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5810 on: September 23, 2015, 12:22:49 PM »
Good Morning -

Today I am 2 weeks post op.  Things are going pretty well so far.  Here's a quick update:

Pain Meds
Got off the pain meds I think 2 days after surgery.  Pain was mostly gone - a little lingered - but decided to tough it out and either 1 or 2 days later no more pain.

PT
I started my first PT about 5 days after surgery. 
Session 1
First session was massaging the knee for swelling, moving the patella (that was tense!) and stim on the quads.

Session 2
Same as 1 plus Ankle pumps, calf raises, squeezing glutes together, weight transfers, leg exercises (straight of course) including pushing back, out to the side and then swing in front.

Sessions 3 and 4
Same as two.  Added side stepping (hands on table, right then left) for about 3 or 4 minutes.  Also asked them for an upper body workout.  They put me on the ergometer for 5 minutes.  That was awesome and I can't wait for the next one.  I really feel like you've got to somehow get cardio mixed in.

I am putting more weight on the left (surgery) leg as I am motoring around on the crutches.  On that, still mostly in my recliner during the day only getting up for bathroom breaks, food and sometimes just to take a lap around the house.  I'm doing my PT at home as well.

Couple of minor things of note.  First, was getting some pretty sharp little pains in my pecs I was told due to the crutches.  I told my PT and she worked on them including digging in pretty hard in places to release them.  Significant improvement.

I have a chair for the shower which has been great.  This is probably the most nerve wracking thing I do because the leg is not braced during this.  I have help and try to accomplish the shower quickly to get the brace back on.  I have not figured out how to do this alone.  I suppose buying another brace for the shower would be the best option or just cover it.  Still figuring that out.

Couple of concerns.  First, looks like my BP is up.  I'm normally around 130/80.  The top number has moved up to 150 - 160 which is a little bit of concern.  I've read that BP goes up after surgery but would appreciate guidance on that.  I've got my 2 week post op with the OS today so I'll ask him as well.

Perhaps related is feeling a little light headed at times.  I suppose some of that is fear but went on a short crutch walk yesterday outside - my 50 yards and got a little dizzy. So, got back in the house, puttered around a bit just to kind of tough it out and then got back to the recliner.  That is when I broke out the Blood Pressure machine...

I was in pretty decent shape before the accident so hoping that carries through.  Mostly cardio stuff.  I have a Bowflex Max 5 which I was on 5 days a week.  Then, did some Mountain Biking on the weekend.  5' 10" 190 before the accident and now about 185 after.

So, would appreciate some guidance and/or reassurance on some of this.

Finally, heading back to work today for the first time for a 2 hour meeting with a client.  Work has arranged a wheel chair for me with leg support so we'll see how that goes.  I'm anxious about it but praying that it will go well.  Depending on how that goes will dictate how much I try to get to work going forward.

Also, should be getting the staples out and perhaps some x-rays.  The patella is a little left of center but PT says that should improve as there is still swelling.  Another topic for the doctor today.

So, that's it.  Hope everyone is doing well in their recovery.  Have a great day.

Offline buckwild

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5811 on: September 24, 2015, 01:15:54 AM »

Hi Buckwild

Welcome to the RPT club - exclusive and no fee.

Thanks for the welcome John

Just a quick question, I'm at day 24 post op and relatively pain free. Is there anything wrong with attempting to lightly flex my quad?

Cheers
Col

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5812 on: September 24, 2015, 05:02:25 AM »
Welcome newbies...congrats on finding this forum. Buckwild, I only flexed my quad while leg was straight doing quad sets.  JHS you are two years to the day I had my surgery. I was 50 years old and in good shape when I hurt my left knee...so similar there. Please feel welcome to look up my old post to see my journey...just click on my name.  A lot of what you are asking and dealing with (especially the shower) really takes me back to all the questions I had.  Especially look up my home PT routine since I've had a very good outcome and it may answer some of your concerns.  No 1 thing is to accept that this will take time and there is NO reason to rush it.  Do your quad sets, electrostim, and heels slides when you are cleared by OS (and massaging was big for me). Also, when it comes time to buy a floor cycle to exercise your knee, let me know...I literally just took mine apart and put it back in original box (been taking up space on the floor in my closet). It's like new although I did put 10s of thousands of rotations on it.  I really loved it, kept my knee loose as a progressed on heels slides (increasing ROM).  Anyway, good luck and listen to YOUR knee. Try not to compare to others...trust yourself. PS: thinking about my shower experience still scares me...it was terrifying but you'll get it down to a science.  Oh, almost forgot...I bought a leg-lifter.  Looks like a stiff dog leash and collar that goes around foot and helps to lift leg. It was helpful getting leg off ottoman as well as getting into car.  For the shower I bought a long handle soft scrub brush to reach the bottom of my injured leg.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:17:04 AM by JC55 »
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5813 on: September 24, 2015, 04:35:54 PM »
Thanks, JC55 for the response.  Wow - very similar situations indeed!  I'm just up the road in Michigan.  Been through and to Louisville many times.  Beautiful country.

Will definitely read your posts on PT and the shower - that's the highest stress event for sure.  Would be interested in which chair you used, etc.  I'm also thinking of getting another knee brace just to lower the anxiety of having it unprotected for any amount of time while in the shower.

On your floor cycle, if you're interested in selling, let me know. Or, if you would pass on the info about it, I'll go get one.

Had the staples removed yesterday which was a small victory though they weren't bothering me.  But, it does open the door for some ROM with my PT.

Really appreciate the response.  It really helps.

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5814 on: September 25, 2015, 02:52:26 AM »
Update on PT today.  2 weeks and 1 day after surgery.

40 degrees ROM and pretty much full extension.  No pain.  Therapist was happy with both.  Also told me to ditch one of the sticks and taught me how to walk with the crutch on the arm opposite the injured knee.  We went on about a 40 yard walk.  Honestly brought tears to my eyes - it's been a long almost 3 weeks since the accident.  I couldn't be more thankful.

Also hit the arm cycle for 5 minutes just to get some cardio going and get the upper body back in the game.  Therapy in itself. 

Also, figured out how to get in my car and drove!  So, a big day.  Lots of work ahead and I know things will go back and forth.  But today was a "W"....

Offline TH72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #5815 on: September 25, 2015, 04:17:56 AM »
Hi all,

glad to have found this forum.  Since my injury I have searched over a week for information and finally landed here.

Ruptured my patellar tendon on 9/15/2015 while jumping to spike during a volleyball game.  Heard a loud pop and had some pain.  Knee was indented where the patella should have been, and patella was riding high.  Fortunately, not in much pain the first 24 hours.

Had surgery two days later on the 17th and went home the same night.  Have not talked to the OS post surgery, but do have a follow up appointment on the morning of the 29th.  Pain was fairly intense for the first couple of days post-surgery, but has subsided to the point that I take a painkiller twice a day.  OS allowed weight bearing as tolerated, and standing with 50% weight is fine with the immobilizer on (have yet to remove it).

Have read about 6 pages back in this post and it has lifted my spirits!  I realize the road ahead is a long one, and that patience and listening to your knee is key, but at this point a full recovery seems so far off.  Fortunately have a good family life at home for support as well.

Up to now I have spent the majority of my days/nights on the couch.  I have been able to sleep reasonably well, but sleep with a bent neck and torso elevated since the couch is a little short for my 6'2" frame.  I made it up the stairs and back down from my bedroom for the first time today, so will try to sleep in my own bed tonight for the first time since the injury, until my wife kicks me out of bed for snoring, lol.

Well, I will certainly be spending quite a bit of time on this forum in the ensuing months.  It looks like there is a wealth of information here, provided by a great, supportive community.

Terho
Patellar Tendon Rupture, left knee - 9/15/2015
Surgery - 9/17/2015

Offline TH72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #5816 on: September 25, 2015, 04:26:33 AM »

This forum is unbelievable - really helpful.  If anyone is on a similar path to me time-wise (9/5 injury and 9/9 surgery), please let me know and we can work through this together.

John, It looks like I am about a week behind you and some hours north of you.  I currently live in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, grew up in Windsor, and spent 12 years working in Southfield, MI.  I love Michigan and visit friends in the metro Detroit area frequently.  Probably won't be making it down there for a while now though, lol. 

Terho
Patellar Tendon Rupture, left knee - 9/15/2015
Surgery - 9/17/2015

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5817 on: September 25, 2015, 04:32:28 AM »
TH welcome to the site. John42 will be responding to you with info. You are in the right place. JHS...great day for you.  Got staples out and had good ROM.  I also remember the emotion that I had when I first took a little walk...talk about joy! Remember, please take it slow early on.  Most docs say tendon takes up to 12 weeks to really be healed.  Also, I'm not sure how you got in a car to drive within three weeks, but congrats.  I'm also impressed that you ditched one crutch.  Only time I did that in first several weeks was when my PT taught me to go up/down stairs with one crutch. In regard to the shower chair...first one I got was crap.  Although I'm only 205 lbs, I asked my wife to return it and get a bariatric chair...one that is built for heavier individuals.  I know it was overkill, but it was great...very sturdy and made me feel safe. I have a walk-in shower so that helped too with getting in and out.  As I recall, I looked up the University of Wisconsin protocol for PT guidelines in regard to RPT injuries.  It was very informative. (Since you are from Michigan I realize that it will be difficult for you to reference anything in Wisconsin without prejudice, LOL).  Anyway, congrats on the progress and I'll message you about the floor cycle.  Hope everyone else is doing well, Peace!
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5818 on: September 25, 2015, 05:04:47 AM »
Hi Terho

Welcome to the site.  Sorry for your injury but we'll get through this thing. 

I have never been as far as Sault Ste. Marie.  Just Mackinac Island.  It is beautiful up that way.

I'll be on here frequently.  If there is anything I can help with, please let me know.

JH55
I got your message but somehow it won't let me reply.  I'll dig around and see if there is anything I can do.  May need to have a certain amount of posts before that opens up.  Your offer is very generous and I will pay it forward.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5819 on: September 25, 2015, 03:01:08 PM »
Hi Terho

Welcome to KneeGuru,

You should be on the RPT thread Ruptured Patella Tendon/Surgery - lots of buddies out there to help you.

You are in for a long haul to recovery - read as many of the previous posts - Remember PATIENCE.

Read the undermentioned thread - It will outline and give you a full description of your injury and the rehab process - ASK QUESTIONS.

BEST TIP - SLEEP WITH A PILLOW/CUSHION BETWEEN YOUR LEGS - NOT SEXY, BUT TAKES THE PAIN AWAY FROM THE INJURED KNEE.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 07:43:14 AM by John42 »

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support