Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1273755 times)

Offline mcgheea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 28
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5790 on: August 16, 2015, 12:00:33 PM »
Hi all,

It is great to hear all the positive and great progress stories that you are all making...excellent news!

I will be 12 weeks post-op tomorrow.  I've been making good progress, albeit slower than others due to differences in PT protocols and approaches; however, progress is still being made.  I'm walking without a brace or crutches - slight limp when I think about it too much or think that my knee might hurt.  All to do with building confidence and not living with fear of slipping and re-injuring the right knee.  I've also been passed to drive which is a bonus.  Taking this one as needed as not great sitting with knee in one position for a long time.

My PT seems to be taking things much slower.  My flexion ROM is approx. 110 degrees and my extension is approx. -5 degrees.  This has all been done with little physical intervention by my PT.  Her focus has been building the strength and flexibility in my knee with floor exercises instead to weight-bearing.  I have just moved onto starting static cycle work, going up stairs (leading with right leg) and mini-squats.

My one area of concern that I would appreciate some opinions on is the swelling that I get from my ankle all the way up my right leg.  I elevate my leg in bed, three pillows; however, as the day goes on and I am either sitting or walking about my leg gradually swells.  I would say that it is significantly bigger even when I get up first thing in the morning.  I do try to elevate it throughout the day but daily living gets in the way.

I appreciate that structures my have been moved or interrupted when the surgery was done but I would have thought that the swelling would be getting back to normal by now (12 weeks post-op).  My leg has a slightly different colour to my left leg.  The surgical registrar has seen the discolouration and swelling and has said that this is normal - he stated that I could be left with a bigger leg.  However, I was would welcome the opinions and experiences of my fellow RPTs on this mater before I look for a second medical opinion.

I look forward to hearing back from you all on your leg swelling/colouration and what you did to resolve.

Best regards,

Alec

Offline bryce73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #5791 on: August 17, 2015, 10:53:07 PM »
Hi mcgheea,
great to read you're on a good path to recovery too.  Don't compare too much with others as each injury, one's body response, surgery and PT protocols differ so widely for this injury. I'd say if you observe a constant progression, it means you're doing well.  ;)

Now for you question about the swelling, in my case I had a swelling localized only around my wound (my rupture was due to a cut), and my surgery was minimal so I believe it also helped with it... The swelling was not that much pronounced, still it did really make my knee feels stiff as it interfered with the bending of my knee.  3 & 1/2 months post op, the swelling has now almost disappeared but there is still an inflammation process going on (I can feel the heat and internal structures don't move as smoothly as in the other knee), though it tends to disappear slowly. From what you say, your swelling seems quite important as it goes down to your ankle with a kind of coloration. I don't want to be alarmist but that sort of description brings to my mind an algodystrophy syndrom. However, from what I read about it, a sensation of heat and cold is usually associated with it. I also find a bit strange you were said the injured leg could be a little bigger than the uninjuried one as you lose some muscular tissue!  ??? So maybe the swelling would locally make it bigger but if the swelling extends to the whole leg, it seems to me somehow suspect. Has you leg been checked by your OS or a doctor during your recovery? has the algodystrophy syndrom been raised?

Offline madvillain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 203
« Reply #5792 on: August 29, 2015, 04:53:45 AM »
Little bit of a setback for me again on my left knee.  The right one, 9 months after surgery, in day to day use, I never even notice was injured and that to me is incredible.

But the left one has always given me a little more trouble, even before the ruptures and after a really grueling hike two weeks ago and then a really intense session at the gym (a lot of jumping and hard cutting) I believe I put some micro tears into the tendon as the knee swelled some and I've been having some "clicking" in the knee from time to time.

It can't be too serious as the pain is like a 2 at most on the scale and the swelling has gone back to normal and I can still push off it up to about 85% effort without pain.  However,  when I put my hand over the knee and extend my leg it feels almost like a squeeky door hinge just not tracking that well.

It doesn't hurt when I jog or bike but it does feel just weak enough to prevent me from going 100% all out in my drills, which is a bit of a bummer.  Haven't been doing much jumping or severe cutting since it swelled up. 

It slowly is getting better but unfortunately I'm starting to think this will be an issue I need to monitor for awhile. 

That said, my ROM in both knees is incredible I really do feel that it's almost back to pre-surgery levels.  I have zero problems sprinting or going down stairs now.  There are times I forget I was injured and that is great.  Strength continues to return slowly as well.

As always, stay positive everyone.  I reminded myself the other day if I would have taken this deal the days and weeks after injury and surgery and it was "100%, yes, 100%, goodness don't look back this is just a minor setback".

Offline bryce73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5793 on: August 31, 2015, 07:41:42 AM »
Hello folks,
it's great to read some good news here, though lately things turned into kind of a nightmare for me... I'm writing from home as I currently have to wait to call an (my?) OS which should be available in 1/2 h. I went for a MTB tour yesterday and had a very bad fall on my injuried leg  :(. I wasn't going fast, but I lost my equilibrium and fall into a very steep and rocky ravine, and couldn't manage to land on the uninjuried leg. That was the place one shouldnt fall moreover with an injuried knee but it doesn't pop to my mind I could fall there as it was'nt difficult, just bad luck... I had the bad reflex to straigthen my leg as I was afraid bending the knee may snap the tendon, which actualy caused the thighbone to impact the shin. I had to be rescued by an helicopter to the nearer hospital where I was diagnosed plateau tibial fractures, needing surgery.  :'(
cheers
After struggling a full year to recover from an ankle fracture and lately a RPT, this one really puts me down as it seems even worse.... I hope it's not too bad but currently I feel quite depressed and anxious about what the OS will say, as I can also forsight I may not go MTBiking as I used to or even not anymore. I wish I had happier news, but this how it goes...Take care everyone and appreciate each little step towards recovery. It's when you're injuried you realize how good it is to be healthy

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5794 on: August 31, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »
Hi bryce 73

Sorry to learn of your latest hiccup in life - just keeping fingers crossed that you can get fixed up quickly and back to normality.

Best

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bryce73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5795 on: September 01, 2015, 04:25:01 PM »
Thanks for your support John42, much appreciated. I will undergo surgery this thursday, I will have a plate to fix my fracture and an arthroscopy of the knee joint, and will know the rest afterwards I guess. My main fear at this point is to lose a good portion of the flexion of the knee, which I had all regained from my RPT!  :-\ Anyway, I have to do with it and do what's necessary to recover at best.

I will certainly be less present on this thread as this new injury comes now as a priority, so I wish you all good work and progress in your rehab. And I'll certainly pop in sometimes to see what'up  ;)

bests

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5796 on: September 08, 2015, 03:31:36 PM »
Hey all, Jerry (JC55) here. Been awhile since my last post but celebrating my 2 year anniversary since injury/surgery! First things first, I really want to express my gratitude to John for all his time he dedicates to this site as well as all my buddies that were going through this with me 2 years ago.  You all really were a source of support and encouragement in a time of need and I appreciate ALL of you.  To all the newbies, just keep at it at your pace but always pushing to improve a little every week.  That's what I did...heels slides, massage, floor bike.  I really focused on ROM first and getting my knee joint re-lubricated (if that makes sense).  Now, as for me, things are great.  Knee is 100% healed but I would say I'm at 95% function mainly because I find it difficult to go into a sprint from a standstill.  However, after I get loose I can do this with ease.  I have maximum ROM but still have a little bit of numbness on the outer portion of knee and every once in a while a slight pop as I bend the knee up and out (like when putting on pants).  Overall, I'm thrilled with recovery.  I go to the gym a couple to few times every week and run on a treadmill.  Walk/run/walk/sprint/walk/sprint/cool down/weights. Usually go between 2.5-3 miles.  I'm going to celebrate today by running 2 miles non-stop.  At 52 years old...not too bad.  Peace to all and good luck on your journey.
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5797 on: September 08, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »
Hi Jerry

Many thanks for your compliments - that`s what this thread is all about - help each other, pass on tips and advice - 2 years on - delighted that you have made such good progress - keep at it and watch your step in future,

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5798 on: September 10, 2015, 11:39:01 PM »
FYI: the U.S. Olympic committee will NOT be asking me to go to Rio, but I had decent time for 2 miles. No swelling or soreness so I'm happy.  😀
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline nmacseven50

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #5799 on: September 15, 2015, 10:13:09 AM »
Hello All,

I had posted here a few months back. In December 2014 I had surgery to repair a 75% tear in my right patellar tendon. The surgery seemed to go well and rehab was going well for months afterwards. In past 2 months I've had a serious bought of patellar tendonitis in the same knee.

A bit about me: I am a 19 year old male College basketball player. I have had a history of tendonitis in this knee which led to the tear in the first place. Going back three months, rehab was going well, I was running and playing light basketball and I thought i was on my way to being able to play this season. I have played basketball since I was 5 years old and I stand 7'1" so to me the last 2 years has been a pretty big shock to me as I have surrounded basketball around my entire life to this point.

Skip forward to today:

The paticular injury I had surgery on has healed. In the past month or so I have put in great strength in my hamstrings, hips, glutes, calves etc. and my quad size and definition has started to come back. (I was in an immobilizer for 7 weeks like most people). The problem is that with this increase in strength my tendon is irritated, and my knee is nowhere near 100%. It hurts to perform body weight squats after about 10 reps. Leg press is not even an option and single leg squats are very irritating.

The weird thing is that in the past week or so the pain in the knee has come down a lot with squats, jogging, etc. That said, I've had a huge increase in tightness in the joint. My knee feels very stiff just walking and it is popping worse than it ever has. It grinds and pops over the tendon and I've even noticed some popping in the back of my knee and a bit on the outside of my knee. I do have a minor case of osteoarthritis.

My question is basically should I continue training even with the popping and tightness? The only reason I would consider it is the fact that the pain has subsided in the past week or so. I am not having problems pain or strength wise, just popping, tightness, swelling. Consistent basketball practice starts in about a month and my goal would be to be ready for that. I want some opinions on whether i should continue training or slow it down for a month or so and see how it is at this time in October? I am cautious do to the fact I've had previous problems with it and also being 7'1" i have to be twice as careful to ensure i can walk when i am 40 years old. Any ideas or opinions are very much appreciated.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5800 on: September 15, 2015, 12:30:13 PM »
Hi nmacseven50

My response is very simple - just listen to your knee, and at the end of the day you may have to give up the sport your love.

I am thirteen days the road, and some days, the knee is so swollen - grin and bear it.

Take care with the onset of the winter months.

Best/ JohnK/ Manchester UK 

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline buckwild

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5801 on: September 18, 2015, 05:05:24 PM »
Hi All,

My names Col, Im a 35yo male from Sydney and a new member to the RPT club! I am currently 18 days post op with the knee in a brace fixed at 0 degrees for the first 6 weeks.

I ruptured the PT whilst playing a pickup game of basketball. All happened when I jumped for the ball and came crashing back down on to the ground. At first I thought I just clashed knees with someone however the guys said none of them touched me. I tried standing up but the knee buckled straight away and I feared that I did my ACL. I went straight to the emergency department where they examined the knee and performed an ultrasound, where it was confirmed that the PT was ruptured and I was scheduled for surgery the following day.

The worst thing about this injury was the timing of it. 21 months ago (Dec 2013) I ruptured my achilles tendon also from playing basketball. The day I ruptured my PT was my very first game back!!! What are the odds of that happening?!? I must've really pissed off someone in a previous life! Needless to say, I've now sworn off basketball (and all sports for that matter) as I clearly have weak crappy tendons.

I've now got a lot of time on my hands so will look forward to reading what others have gone through in the PT recovery process!

Cheers
Col

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5802 on: September 18, 2015, 05:38:06 PM »

Hi Buckwild

Welcome to the RPT club - exclusive and no fee.

You will have realised that you have sustained a very serious injury with a long rehab process - however age is in your favour and to your advantage. 

As you have plenty of time sitting on the sofa, suggest that you take the tiome to read previous posts on this thread and suggest that you take a look at the undermentioned thread, as it contains a number of documents which I have together with KneeGuru - this explains in detail about your injury and the rehab procedure.

Yep - six weeks in your brace and then the rehab process starts.

ASK questions - listen to your knee and take care.

Best

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline jhs0804

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 85
« Reply #5803 on: September 19, 2015, 07:30:12 PM »
Hi Everyone -

My name is John - 54 y/o from Michigan USA.  New to the forum.  Missed a couple of steps on my back deck in the dark.  No great sports story unfortunately.  Calling it parkour to add a little humor!

Ruptured my PT on 9/5.  Had surgery on 9/9.  I've started Physical Therapy and have had 3 sessions.  Pretty mild - weight shifts, ankle pumps, push leg back, sideways and across front, massage on the knee to bring down the swelling and stim.  So, off to a decent start.  Able to put weight on it and am gradually adding more weight to walking versus the crutches.  Figured out how to use a belt to lift the leg. 

Couple of great buys that have helped me for those who are new too. 
First, got a power recliner (wanted one anyway so great excuse).  I spend most of the day in it. 

Next is a set of reachers which is really helpful for stuff outside your reach.

Also got a chair for the shower.  The shower, by the way, is the one thing keeping me from being as independent as I'd like to be.  Would appreciate any tips or tricks.

I see that the protocols vary a bit.  Based on the experience on the board, can you point me to maybe the top 3 if that's possible?  I want to be as aggressive as I can (haven't heard that before, right?)  :)

One thing that really seems to be in conflict is the use of CPM.  Not even on my protocol and it seems I've seen posts where people are on one in a matter of days.  Another is an exercise regimen/equipment I can use to at least keep the upper body in shape.  Got lots of time so want to maximize.  Can only watch so much TV!

Look forward to journeying with you guys.  Great to find this board.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5804 on: September 19, 2015, 09:41:03 PM »
Hi John

Welcome from John 42 at the RPT page on KneeGuru - you have reached the correct thread and my first bit of advice, is to sit back and read some of the previous posts

Yes - it`s a long haul to recovery - PATIENCE is the key word.

Sleep with a pillow/ cushion between your knees.

For later rehab, purchase on Amazon a "floor cycle", then you can sit in your favorite chair and pedal away which is part of your rehab protocol.

ASK questions - we are all buddies to give you help with your questions.

You will not be able to drive for at least three months and then only after the OK from your OS.

Keep posting

Best  JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support