Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1274793 times)

Offline mcgheea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 28
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5745 on: July 08, 2015, 06:36:17 PM »
Great victories lamoncarter - excellent news :D!

I was at my own 1st official PT session today.  Good news on the quad isolations I've been doing - physio happy that I can contract across the knee with no issues.  Quad atrophy still ongoing.

She advised that I need to reduce the number of heel slides I do in one sitting - keep to a max. of 20 reps and include a quad isolation at the end of each flexion.  She also gave me other exercises to strengthen the muscles running longitudinally on either side of my right knee...slowly, slowly and give it time.

On change on ROM: maintained at 50 degrees.

Finally, told to continue to use both crutches.  I had tried to reduce to one; however, I was advised that this was too much and too soon.

Glad to hear that you're making good progress.

Regards,

A

Offline madvillain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 203
« Reply #5746 on: July 08, 2015, 07:57:24 PM »
Yes, the shower is a helluva invention isn't it!  After 40 days of sponge baths I remember that first shower after the ruptures quite well.  I remember just laughing.  We do take a helluva lot of things for granted and the injuries will certainly remind you of that.

I'm at exactly 7 months now and continuing to progress.  I put the knees through a lot yesterday, full weightlifting (leg day, did supersets -- deadlifts, stepups and squats) and agility session at the gym followed by probably about 5 or so miles of walking around Seattle,  which was topped off by running (yes, running) for a late night bus.

I had a moment there where I almost got upset and angry because I couldn't quite fully sprint to catch the bus but you know what I ran fast enough to catch it and 7 months after being in a wheelchair that's good enough.

Everything in due time.

The one guy (gal?) that bought the Cissus -- good call.  I think that stuff helped me quite a bit after the surgery.  I still take it a couple times a week after an especially good day at the gym.

Offline madvillain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 203
« Reply #5747 on: July 08, 2015, 08:09:28 PM »
Been a minute since I checked in. I'm at the 14 month mark but I'm still having problems walking down stairs. Any suggestions on exercises to help?

Walk down inclines as much as you can and practice stepping off a box at the gym and then back up (in one motion, ask a trainer to demo or Google it) it does a good job safely stimulating the knee and helping the ROM when the quad is engaged.

Practice makes perfect in this case. 

Offline mcgheea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5748 on: July 09, 2015, 05:12:34 PM »
For showers, I would recommend https://www.bloccs.com.  I used this when I had my full leg cast and am still using the same one over my ROM full-leg brace.

Basically is looks like a big blue balloon but very effective and will allow you to have a full body shower and regain some independence!

Offline Dan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #5749 on: July 10, 2015, 05:01:57 PM »
Thought I would pop back in for an update, good news this time.
Had scar tissue scoped out on June 11, followed by four good weeks of therapy.

ROM is up to 115 at PT. Walking much better, rarely needing a cane.
Working on stairs, going up is pretty good, down is not so easy (but everyone here knows that).
Going to the gym frequently, using the stationary bike and elliptical, trying to regain all that lost strength and stamina.

A month ago I was feeling down, not knowing if I was ever going to be close to normal again. Now that I have tangible progress, and it is feeling stronger every day, my head is in a better place.

Thanks for listening, and hope everyone else here doing well.
Dan
Jan 8, 2015 slipped on wet floor, tore right patellar tendon
Jan 12, 2015 surgical repair of tendon
Mar 6, 2015 cable removal
Mar 16, 2015 begin physical therapy
May 20, 2015 stopped PT due to lack of progress
Jun 11, 2015 arthroscopic scar tissue removal
Jun 12, 2015 resume PT

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5750 on: July 10, 2015, 07:29:52 PM »
Hi Dan

Anything over 115ROM is a bonus - so keep the physio up - suggest again, get yourself a floor cycle - not expensive - available on Amazon - Keep posting

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline agold55

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #5751 on: July 10, 2015, 10:30:51 PM »
Hello to everyone.

I saw a post from Bilateraltimmy a few weeks ago about being in locked braces and wondering how long he would be in them.  Tim, if you see this post, please let me know what your Dr has said......

11+ weeks and my Dr gave me the go ahead to drive....yes, I feel like a kid who just got his driving permit !!

Therpy is coming along well.     

Offline mcgheea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5752 on: July 11, 2015, 08:44:45 AM »
I also would do an extensive massage of my knee and the swollen areas, it was very uncomfortable early on, but it really seemed to help with loosening the scar tissue and adhesions around the tendon and joint.

Hi all!

PT has advised I can do patella and wound manipulation in order to break up the scar tissues. I've read some responses and was wondering what massage work people would recommend?  Also, what is 'scrapping'? Is this a different type of massage therapy?

Thanks in advance.

A ;)

Offline nmacseven50

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #5753 on: July 12, 2015, 12:56:10 AM »
I wanted to take a minute to ask a couple questions about patellar tendon repair.

I had a torn patellar tendon repaired in December 2014. I have been doing squats, deadlifts, sled drags, step ups, lunges etc to work my quad muscle and it has gotten a lot better in the last couple months.

Is it still normal to have a good amount of atrophy in my quad 7 months post op? It isn't horrible and my quad muscle on the side and above my knee are visible. It's just nowhere near the size of the un injured one. Strength wise it is good as far as squatting and working out. The only thing i don't like doing is going down stairs. Other than that I am back to normal.

Offline bryce73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #5754 on: July 12, 2015, 07:57:14 PM »
I also would do an extensive massage of my knee and the swollen areas, it was very uncomfortable early on, but it really seemed to help with loosening the scar tissue and adhesions around the tendon and joint.

Hi all!

PT has advised I can do patella and wound manipulation in order to break up the scar tissues. I've read some responses and was wondering what massage work people would recommend?  Also, what is 'scrapping'? Is this a different type of massage therapy?

Thanks in advance.

A ;)

Hi mcgheea,
When my Ptist's doing patella mobilizations, he just cover it with his hand, put a little pressure on it and do circular movements with it, or back and forth (or up and down I should say), very simple. My OS wanted my PTist to massage my tendon but he had never done that. So I like to do it regularly.
Hope that will help.
cheers

edit : for the scar massage, my Ptist puts his fingers alternatively on each side of the scar and push/press press towards the scar and then away from it, he repeats this along the scar many times.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:56:20 AM by bryce73 »

Offline lamoncarter713

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #5755 on: July 13, 2015, 01:45:09 AM »
I have a slight problem myself I had the surgery on my right knee and PT is going well but I still have a section on my knee that is still numb. is this normal, I am thinking that it is scarred tissue but i have no clue. the section is the bottom right part of the knee area.
Complete ruptured patella tendon June 4, 2015
Patellar Tendon Surgery June 10, 2015
4 week Post OP

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5756 on: July 13, 2015, 05:30:14 AM »
Hi Lamoncarter713

Quite commen because some of nerves have been cut during your operation - should have no need to worry about this.

JohnK/ Manchester UK 
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline tonestone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #5757 on: July 13, 2015, 07:46:59 PM »
Just checking in 4 years post opt :).  Still playing at age 50 (I will be 51 next month).  I attached 3 photos of me as proof that you can get back to the your old self  8).  Good luck guys you can do it there is light at the end of the tunnel.     
06/27/11 Ruptured right Patella Tendon
07/08/11 Surgery
09/15/11 Rom 125
10/12/11 Current Rom 137
10/27/11 Current Rom 140

Offline tonestone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #5758 on: July 15, 2015, 02:40:58 PM »
My post today is to let everyone on this forum know that yes you can make a full comeback and be your old self.  Remember it will take time, patience is the key!!!  Listen to your OS, PT and most importantly YOURSELF its your knee.  To all the old and new members of this club I wouldn't wish this injury on anyone but there is light at the end of the tunnel :) :) :)  Keeping a positive attitude is the only way to get by this, remember every person is different so don't gauge your progress against others use what they have done to assist you in knowing that you too will get there with time. 

Good luck and take care

Attached are photos - 5 months, 8 months and 4 years post op
06/27/11 Ruptured right Patella Tendon
07/08/11 Surgery
09/15/11 Rom 125
10/12/11 Current Rom 137
10/27/11 Current Rom 140

Offline bryce73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #5759 on: July 15, 2015, 07:52:31 PM »
thanks for sharing tonestone, knowing it's possible to fully recover brings for us newcomers motivation and energy to work each day for it .  :)

Keeping a positive attitude is the only way to get by this, remember every person is different so don't gauge your progress against others use what they have done to assist you in knowing that you too will get there with time. 

that would be my motto for the few months ahead.  ;)

A little news about me : at 10 weeks post walking without crutches, still carefully in stairs. ROM is pretty good (about 140 I guess), but my knee and quad still feel weak and knee a bit stiff.  Began to cycle at 9 weeks post op and still swim a lot. In a few days I plan to begin hiking in mountains, with sticks. I feel it would help to strengten my quad and PT.  Still a long way to go but I can see things going in the good direction.  :)

good work everyone

support