Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1248447 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5700 on: June 14, 2015, 07:26:10 PM »
Hi Tim

Delighted with the news in today`s posting - however, bear in mind that the Tendons are not fully healed - so take extra care for the next few weeks and build up your confidence.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline lamoncarter713

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #5701 on: June 17, 2015, 09:33:57 AM »
Hello,

greetings from Houston, Texas, my name is Cordell and on June 10, 2015 I had surgery on my right knee for a torn patellar tendon. My surgeon said it was pretty bad when he opened my knee to see it, I completely torn it from the bone and he had to drill holes in my knee cap in order to reattach the tendon. He also said I had tissue  on the sides of my patella flapping and they had to reattach that also. The surgery took about 72 minutes in length, but I am in for a long road of recovery.
       Here is the back story on the injury, I am a teacher to be, my position was a academic coach for science in middle school this past year. I worked so hard and got offered a science teaching position for the upcoming year. I still needed to take 2 courses in the summer to fulfill my teaching degree and everything would be squared away for me. Well we had our annual students vs. teachers basketball game on the next to last day of school. I was having a great game for the first 3 quarters, the teachers were up by 20 points and in the 4th quarter with 20 seconds left in the game, I go to drive the ball to the hoop and my right leg buckles really badly. I blacked out for about 5-10 seconds as my head and shoulder smashed into the ground. I thought it was broken but i could move my toes so then I thought the worse I have torn something.
      Ever since my surgery I have been trying to find anyone who has gone through this, I mean all my friends and co workers have come to see me and sends their best wishes but no one understands what I am going through right now. I love my wife and my mother but they don't understand, they say things like you will be up and at them in no time, trying to tell me I should do this and that, when they don't know. I can't sleep at night, I am so frustrated with everything, I just found out that I know longer have my teaching position because I can't make the first year teachers workshops this summer and I can't go to school to finish my last 2 courses I need. Right now life is just..............
      I need someone, anyone on here thats been through this or going through this to help me out, just tell me your story and how you got through this. I mean I can't do anything for myself or by myself, I need help to get around, all i do everyday is watch tv or look out the window, and people come to see me all they can do is grab their knees and they have this look on their face like i hope that doesn't happen to me.
Complete ruptured patella tendon June 4, 2015
Patellar Tendon Surgery June 10, 2015
4 week Post OP

Offline Dan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #5702 on: June 17, 2015, 01:30:52 PM »
Hello Cordell

Welcome to the club (that no one really wants to join).
There are many people here you can talk to, ask questions, etc. Since you will have a lot of time on your hands, there are years of stories in this thread.
I am a relative newbie here (since January), but soon the "old timers" will pop in here to help you in any way they can.
John42 in particular will provide some informative links for you to read.
And, sorry to hear that you lost the teaching opportunity you were looking forward to. Bad luck and bad timing can really suck sometimes. Remember, you will recover from this, and your teaching career will only be delayed for a while.

Dan
Jan 8, 2015 slipped on wet floor, tore right patellar tendon
Jan 12, 2015 surgical repair of tendon
Mar 6, 2015 cable removal
Mar 16, 2015 begin physical therapy
May 20, 2015 stopped PT due to lack of progress
Jun 11, 2015 arthroscopic scar tissue removal
Jun 12, 2015 resume PT

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5703 on: June 17, 2015, 05:00:04 PM »
Hi Cordell

Greetings - you have found the right thread and now is the time to start reading previous posts.

Yep - you are in for a long haul to recovery - six months a minimum, but don`t push it - listen to your knees no driving until your OS gives you the go ahead, but it`s going to be about three months or so.

Watch out for wet sidewalks, grass etc - another good tip is to sleep with a pillow/cushion between your knees - takes the pain away.

ASK questions - lots of buddies to help you along this road.  Are you in a brace or a plastercast - ??

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:01:35 PM by John42 »

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5704 on: June 17, 2015, 08:16:38 PM »
Hi Cordell

Sorry to hear you've joined our club, but if anything can help this forum can.

Your post reminded me so much of how I was feeling in those first few weeks after my fall and subsequent surgery.  I really felt I'd never get through the summer and I spent a lot of time crying.  Then I found kneeguru.

You'll have plenty of reading time on your hands so can I suggest you read back a few pages on the forum?  If you find someone whose posts you connect with click on their name and you can see all their posts.  That way you can follow their story from their first post until the most recent.

Alternatively go back in time a few years and just read forward.  You'll pick up lots of helpful info and rehab stories plus exercise protocols and advice.

I fell over 2 years ago so only look in occasionally.  Success stories mean people stop posting as much, but the back stories make interesting reading.

All the best,

Sella
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline agold55

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #5705 on: June 17, 2015, 09:19:51 PM »
Cordell.
I was introduced to this site a few weeks back & so happy I was.  Everyone on this site is SO SUPPORTIVE!
It really lifts you up.....I check on new posts daily now.
Had bilateral RPT suregery on 4/20/15, and yes the first few weeks were really tough.
If you are like I am, I never sit still, stay very active & enjoy a good daily workout of some sort.

Seems that we are somewhat neighbors....I'm in Austin, Tx.
Would like to chat anytime you are.
Feel free to email me your number.  [email protected]

Thanks

Offline lamoncarter713

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5706 on: June 17, 2015, 09:35:51 PM »
Wow thank you for the support you'll have shown me so far, I knew I was going to love this site. My surgeon put me in a hinged brace, I couldn't do the plaster cast.

I do have one question, during the daytime I am just fine, little discomfort, but as soon as night fall come upon me, my knee goes crazy and I can't get any sleep. Thats how I found this site last night because I didn't go to sleep at all and this has happened 3-4 times since the injury has happened.

I also saw the putting the pillow between your knees so sleep on your side, I will definitely try that tonight.
4 week Post OP

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5707 on: June 17, 2015, 10:47:06 PM »
Cordell, is it actually your knee going crazy or your mind going into overdrive?  If your knee is painful take pain relief (you might need to talk to your doctor or pharmacist).  I used all the help I could get, pill wise, for the first couple of weeks.

Is your brace causing discomfort?  I found my hinged metal brace so uncomfortable to sleep in that I reverted to the zimmer splint I'd worn pre op for sleeping in and would put the hinged brace back on in the morning.

If you need to still your mind, either read a book or concentrate on breathing deeply or play calming music or try the TV or radio on low.

Use plenty of pillows to make yourself comfortable.

Hope some of this helps,

Sella

Offline lamoncarter713

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5708 on: June 17, 2015, 10:56:56 PM »
You know what its mostly my mind because I take my pain medicine and that usually does the trick, but I am not a back sleeper ( sleep on my back) I am a side and stomach sleeper, but this pillow trick I am going to try tonight. My wife sleeps in the bed with me and I am so frustrated with my lack of sleep that I move around a lot, I am thinking I might need move to a bed by myself.
4 week Post OP

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5709 on: June 18, 2015, 05:05:28 AM »
My husband moved into another room - our 3 sons have all left home so he had plenty of choice :) - and it did mean I was a lot more relaxed not having to worry about disturbing him.

The mental impact of this injury is HUGE in my opinion.  I had no idea what it was like to be disabled until it happened and it was so frustrating needing help with everything.  Fortunately for me my husband had retired so he was able, as one son commented, to be my legs for a while.

The good news is you will get better.  Get a good physiotherapist and work hard at your exercises, which I'm sure you will, but don't take risks until your tendon is healed.  A positive mental attitude, PMA, is key.

Sella

Offline lamoncarter713

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5710 on: June 19, 2015, 02:12:00 AM »
first off I want to thank this website because I have done so much reading and have informed myself about my injury. Now that I have found this, its makes it easier for me to accept it and work through it. Secondly I want to thank agold55, we had a really good conversation today and he just gave me renewed hope that everything is going to be ok, I will come out on the other side.

Now I have discovered zzzz quil today, oh my goodness this stuff was sent from heaven, I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping. I called me doctor and gave him my symptoms which were, body aches, delirium, restless, irritation, aggravation. He said Cordell, you need to get some sleep immediately, but he wouldn't tell me what would happen if that continued. So he told me to get some zzz quil and take it and call him in the morning if I don't get any sleep. Well I took half around 1pm today thats Central time zone. Well I just woke up 10 minutes ago and its 8pm, instantly 7 hours of sleep. Now I am about to take the other half and get some more rest, but I am so far feeling good with the rest I have gotten so far.

So with that said, if you can't sleep, up at night to the wee hours of the morning and you are having those same symptoms please take you some zz quil, the liquid form and it can be taken with your prescribed pain medication. I am currently on Norco, so its not a problem at all. I hope this helps someone. good night all.
4 week Post OP

Offline mariogoulart8

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5711 on: June 19, 2015, 07:52:45 PM »
Hello guys,

Im glad i have found this group. Its really hard to get quality information about this PTR injury. Mostly protocols and they seem to have some variations to one another. But its a totally different perspective when someone is actually going through which this group provided for me. So...
Im from Brazil, 27 years old, and had my PTR on the May 2nd while i was playing basketball. Running down the court in a fast break, when going for the lay up, my knee just snapped. It was my third day of my vacation, i was visitng some friends in the US. Had surgery 2 weeks later. My tendon splitted in half and doctor gave me a really hard time explaining how hard that is to happen. I was a very active person and had been doing mostly crossfit, oly and some biking. despite my love for crossfit, i strongly belive that it was the cause for the degenration of the tissue. Not saying that everybody that pratices it will suffer this nasty injury. The OS dint allow PT just yet, im 5 weeks post op and have 90 of ROM which is the furthest he allowed me. Can do leg raises and can support my leg wihout braces which i only use when going out. I have a question, will i ever be able to do full snatch and cleans and even if i can do, would it be ok for the tendon?

Anyways thank. Ive read almost every post and it really helped me while i was lying on the bad with that lame question. will i ever comeback? dont know how this"comeback" will be, but it doesnt matter. im happy with the progress ive reading.

Mario Goulart

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5712 on: June 19, 2015, 10:22:09 PM »
Hi Mario

Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru -

You have sustained a very serious and rare injury with a a long rehab.  A typical sportsman injury.

You have done well to read many of the previous posts on this thread and am sure that you have picked up a few tips.

I think that you are the first person from Brazil to post on this thread.

Click on the undermentioned thread - you will find a collection of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru.

Keep posting

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bryce73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #5713 on: June 20, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »
Hi everyone, and welcome Cordell and Mario (though everybody would rather not join this forum!)

Just passed the 6.5 weeks post op and the rehab is going very well for me.  :) I saw my OS yesterday and he was very pleased with my recovery. After warming up the knee I can bend to something like 110 I believe and can do SLR without the brace with no pain. At 6 weeks I left the brace aside and started walking with two crutches as the quadriceps is still quite weak, so I still can't (and dont want to!) bear much weight on my injured knee when walking.

I forgot to ask my OS about driving but took my car to get back home and it went very well. My knee having improved well enough I can drive without pain and actually feel it contributes to the rehab process. My injured knee being the left one, I can pull emergency stops if needed.

Here what I can say so far on my rehab process : I still have a long way to go but until now my recovery has always been progressive, I haven't experienced any stagnation period followed by rapid improvement. The progress has always been linear and each day brought his little improvement. Seeing things getting better my state of mind also improved from feeling quite bad at the time of injury to rather optimistic now as I realize I will recover sooner or later, but the sooner the better!  ;)

I believe a few things helped me to recover during these past 6 weeks. First my PT hasn't completely cut and the surgery wasn't too much invasive (no material or wire), so the swelling was minimal and the injury not as bad as a complete rupture. Secondly I forced myself to do 3 to 4 hours of rehab exercises each day, starting from 10 days post op. I never tried to force too much on the knee but I believe doing all these exercises regularly helped a lot. At 5.5 weeks, my PTist tried to force a little too much on bending my knee (going to 100/110 when I haven't gone over 90). As a result, I had pain in PT the whole next day and couldn't bend as I was doing before without pain. I had to let my knee rest for two days. So my feeling is that the rehad should better be progressive, trying to put to much tension or force on the tendon too early could do more harm than good. At least this is how it worked for me so far. I believe having a proper hygien is also important : good nutrition, no or little tabacco and alcohol and drinking plenty of water...

Next will be working on quad strengtening and pursue improving ROM, so that should be squats, stationnary bycicle and PT (3 times a week)

@Cordell : when this injury comes in bad timing I understand it's quite hard to sustain. When I had mine I had just spent the 7 past months doing recovery from an ankle fracture to heal and was in the process of taking courses again for a new job which I had to stop for a while, going back to the point I was 7 months before and shutting down this year good season (I do a lot of MTB and had plenty of projects for this summer). So when I had the injury I felt quite bad. Now that I'm on the recovery process I see things in a better way. Seeing the recovery improving makes you feel better!  ;)  Here are two rehab protocols that helped me :

http://www.massgeneral.org/ortho/services/sports/rehab/Quadriceps%20and%20Patellar%20tendon%20repair%20rehabilitation.pdf

http://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/pdf6/SM_pat_tendon_quad.pdf

Reading this forum thread, you will also benefit from others users informations and feedback experience on the rehab for this injury. Good luck!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5714 on: June 20, 2015, 07:09:43 PM »
Hi Bryce73

Be careful - your tendon has not fully healed, so listen to your knee - DON`t push it.

Take care - keep posting

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon