Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1261517 times)

Offline Bevboogie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5520 on: February 13, 2015, 01:39:52 AM »
Stuart how do I know when I'm pushing too much?  I wanna push it but don't wanna rerupture & start over? Should I be trying leg raises? What pain means should I stop? Hearing that 12 weeks is needed makes me worry that I'll snap the tendon. Feel free everyone to enlighten me. Tips? Exercises? Don't dos? I'm open to hear it all

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5521 on: February 13, 2015, 04:03:26 AM »
Bevboogie, mad villain is a great proponent of extracurricular exercises and they obviously worked for him. I was fortunate to have a long term relationship with the fellow who was Head PT at the Vancouver Olympics and I simply put myself in his hands. Three 1hr sessions a week and rest on the other days. Antithesis of MV's approach but it worked for me.
 Fatigue and some associated discomfort I would say is acceptable but Pain is a warning sign and I would think should be avoided. You will recover so don't push too hard. Your PT is a better source of information than we who have only our own experience to relate to. As your PT gets to know you and the degree to which you are
"Driven" he can tailor your program accordingly. I had the advantage of a 25 year relationship with mine so I had a head start. He had another patient half my age, same injury, who progressed much more slowly. I suspect with proper guidance you will be at the rapid end of the scale.
We are all pulling for you.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Josh82

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5522 on: February 13, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »
Hello All,

I've been reading through this page and wanted to go ahead and create an account, introduce myself and ask a few questions.  Since I know I will be using this board for a while.

I'm a 32 year old male, two weeks ago 1/27/2015 I missed the last step coming down the ladder, hit the ladder with my bent knee on the way down and was sent to the ER.  I could not move my leg back, it felt like there was muscles tightening and I was about to pull something.  I had to keep it fully extended.

I thought I had disclocated my knee cap as it was very high compared to the other one.  Well, the xrays showed I did not have a fracture.  The ER doctor told me to go home, if it doesnt feel any better by the weekend go see an OS.  The whole time I was in no pain, just could not bend my knee.  No progress of course, so OS comes out right away and says "You tore your patellar tendon" and explains what it is.  Makes 100% sense.

So I had surgery this past Tuesday, two weeks exactly since the fall.  2/10/2015. 

They gave me a nerve number thingamaboby that completely numbed my thigh area and worked great.  I took pain meds and did was not in much pain at all. I did not sleep at all the day of surgery (day1).

On day 2 after surgery, my wife gave me advil to take with my percocets.  I was a little dazed, so I thought I had taken the percocets and the advil.  2 hours later I was in a whole hell of a lot of pain.  I had my wife count the pills, and sure enough I did not take them.  Took em' and everything felt fine again.  And had a good sleep.  I was having pain if I would stand up, the blood rushing down my leg for a little bit.  The doctors office said to not keep it up so high for so long.

The third day (yesterday) 2/12 I had been taking 2 percosets every 4 hours, I cut that down and only took  2 at 8am then another 1 at 3pm.  I did not have much pain.   I then didn't take another pain med till 830 when it was time for bed.  I woke up around midnight and this is going to be TMI, but I was on the toilet for a good solid 3 hrs.  It was the first BM since the surgery.  It was really painful (the gas was the worse part).

Anyways, I'm sitting here and things seem to be getting better pain wise.  But I have a question.  Its valentines day on Saturday night, how far fetched is it to be able to go out with my wife for dinner?   Obviously no drinking on the pain pills, but I've started to try and ween myself off of those already.  Is it too soon?

I know I have a long road ahead, and am 100% prepared to give it my all. Just looking for a little feedback on how the first 1-2 weeks were for all of you.

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5523 on: February 13, 2015, 08:49:15 PM »
Josh82.we all react differently and experience varying degrees of discomfort. I was fortunate in having no pain so no pain meds (RQT). I was thus able to return to work (self employed) three days after Surgery. I would think it would do you good to get out with your wife on Valentine's. Don't be afraid to utilize appropriate parking and let the maitre'd know in advance about your need for leg-room.
Enjoy your evening.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Josh82

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5524 on: February 13, 2015, 08:59:42 PM »
Thanks for the Advice, I too do not have much pain now and am also self employed.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5525 on: February 13, 2015, 09:58:40 PM »
Hi Josh82

Welcome to the RPT club - noted that you have taken the time to read some of the previous posts on this thread.   

It`s early days for you with a long rehab in front of you.

Suggest you click on the undermentioned thread and read a collection of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru.

Ask questions - PATIENCE and don`t push it - sleep with a pillow/cushion between your knees

You must try and take your wife out for valentines day, but as a passenger, lie across the seat, because you will not be able to stretch your leg.

Where do you live?     
Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5526 on: February 14, 2015, 01:09:10 AM »
Here I am again feeling way too gullible.  Just because the registrar told me before the surgery that I was having the wire removed arthroscopically and the nurse gave me a leaflet on recovering from knee arthroscopy when I was discharged, it doesn't mean that that's what I had.

Went to the clinic to have the dressing removed and discovered that the surgeon had opened up my knee again to take the wire out.  So instead of 3 or 4 small incisions, the bottom 2 inches of the old scar have been opened up.

Don't you just love the NHS.  I feel a bit of a fool now for telling people I'd had keyhole surgery.  I should have believed the other posters on here who said their knees were opened up along the old scar, and to be fair that is what I was expecting until I started being misinformed.  Still, no harm done.

The good news is I'm walking well and I've got most of my bend back.  My knee is still pretty swollen and looks like it's been in the wars but apart from that I'm fine.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline Thomas99

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #5527 on: February 14, 2015, 01:31:47 AM »
3 weeks post surgery update:

I have developed an infection following the patellar tendon revision surgery. Oral antibiotics was prescribed but unfortunately these did not work, so have been admitted back into hospital for IV Antibiotics two days ago, which seem to be slowly working.

Great to see the good progress being made by others.

Offline Kaddydee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #5528 on: February 14, 2015, 02:01:23 AM »
Oh dear, Thomas 99!  Surely, you must be due some good luck soon.  I hope you recover quickly from this infection.  I'm glad they've put you back in hospital and treating it seriously - my whole knee saga started with an infection after arthroscopic surgery.  One month in hospital, 5 surgeries later I think I am finally on the right track. 

Sella Vee, I must admit that I had a little laugh when reading your post.  The lack of communication in hospitals can be quite amazing!  You never know what's hiding behind that bandage.  Last I heard with my knee, is that when they remove the wire, they will use the last incision scar and try not to make it as long.   Glad you are up and about - hopefully that swelling will disappear quickly.

Josh 82,  enjoy going out!  Even if it's for a dessert and coffee.  My best therapy was getting on with life - it's amazing what you can handle if your mind is distracted.  When you come home, put your leg up with ice (or heat pack like I do) and give it a massage.  You should be fine.

I've had a good week - going strong with physio.  Feeling optimistic! 

Take Care

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5529 on: February 14, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »
Thomas, I'm sorry to hear about that infection and hope it clears up soon.

Josh82, go for it tonight.  I went to my son's wedding over 120 miles away 4 days after getting out of hospital.  The ceremony was exactly 1 week after my surgery and I did the wedding flowers, drank champagne (with doctor's permission) and danced the Macarena in my wheelchair!  I used crutches to walk down the aisle and for the photographs but we borrowed a wheelchair with a leg extension to make the day easier for me in between times.

Kath, I felt such an idiot when the nurse practitioner who removed the dressing said "we always open up the knee to remove tension band wiring".  That's what I'd been telling everyone before I went in but on the ward I was led to believe I'd had the keyhole surgery and I've been gaily telling all my friends that's what I had!  Talk about mind over matter.  The information you've been given is exactly what happened to me - bottom 2 inches of old incision opened up.

Still, the bottom line is I went in at 0745 and by 1320hrs I was ringing my husband to come and collect me.  I had lots of rest and went back to work the following week.

Keep smiling everyone :) .
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline alexws

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #5530 on: February 16, 2015, 11:47:04 PM »
been looking through the thread for advice.  Been doing most of my pt so far at home (injury 1/6 surgery was 1/12)  Bending to about 45-50* so far with leg lifts becoming easier and easier.  Using my brace locked out fully any time I walk and haven't taken the crutches out in over a week and a half now.  I have been driving and bending my knee to do so....Is that a real bad idea?  I have my brace set to 30* of flexion when I am doing so just not sure if I could really/ have really messed anything up.  It has next to no pain ever just obnoxious.  cant wait to get out on a bike or hike.  (about me 25 used to ski competitively (skiing is what did it to me) hike mtn bike and rock climb, consider myself in good shape but not amazing and very active.  The last month has been more of a mental game than anything, with all of my hobbies being outdoor/physical it has been very hard to slow down as much as I know I have to.)  thanks for the info on here everyone!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5531 on: February 17, 2015, 08:19:23 AM »
Hi Alexws

Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru.

You have not made any mention if you have seen a PT for correct PT.   I would suggest that you read the undermentioned thread to obtain a better understanding of your injury.   How did you sustain your injury?  Where do you live?

DO NOT DRIVE until you obtain the OK from your OS - You could be in danger of invalidating your car insurance policy.

Ask questions - and keep posting

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline BustedWheel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #5532 on: February 17, 2015, 01:08:01 PM »
Between 12-13 weeks post surgery for RPT.

Obviously, no brace.  ROM same on both legs.  Repaired leg a little thinner around lower quad and knee.

Can walk no problem.  Can go up stairs OK, working on going down steps.  Can use normal steps going down but rely on handrail and still slow.

Exercise bike is no problem.  Can do elliptical as well.  Working on strength is focus of PT.

Came through about as well as I could.  At this point, focusing on day to day and week to week improvement to get back to normal.  The big relief is when you stop thinking about when or if you will be better and start focusing on how good can you get. 

Offline alexws

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #5533 on: February 17, 2015, 02:18:39 PM »
Sorry! i have been to PT 2 times.  I go back in to the doc on Friday for my 6 week follow up.  The doc cleared me to drive he just did not mention anything about bending my knee, said if I felt like i could do it i was good to go. I put a large pillow on my seat to make it easier.  The pt was shooting to have me at about 60 degrees flex by this Friday.  Once my doc gives me the go ahead for some more strenuous excersize i plan on seeing pt at least 2x a week.  Just seems silly to pay someone to watch me do the same things that I can do at home right now. 

The injury.  as I said I used to compete skiing (think x games stuff) I was hitting a small jump, landed pretty much perfect.  As soon as I hit the landing my knee blew up in pain then I went down.  Clean tear no breaks or anything else.  I live in Utah and went to U of Utah orthopedic center for surgery and PT. 

Offline Dan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #5534 on: February 17, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »
Hi Alex
We had our surgeries on the same day.
You've got 45 degrees of flex? I got my hinged brace last Friday and I can't manage half that.

@BustedWheel
I just passed the 5 week mark, and based on the timeline you posted 2 weeks ago we seem to be on a similar schedule. When exactly did you switch from the immobilizer to hinged brace, and what were you able to do to improve ROM? So far all I've gotten from my Dr is "try to bend the knee".
He did say earlier that he won't have me going to formal PT until after the cable is removed at 8 weeks.
Jan 8, 2015 slipped on wet floor, tore right patellar tendon
Jan 12, 2015 surgical repair of tendon
Mar 6, 2015 cable removal
Mar 16, 2015 begin physical therapy
May 20, 2015 stopped PT due to lack of progress
Jun 11, 2015 arthroscopic scar tissue removal
Jun 12, 2015 resume PT