Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1261375 times)

Offline manttila

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 19
  • One day at a time.
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5400 on: November 09, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »
57 years old and not as active as I would like to be but feel I am pretty active for someone my age (5' 9", 187 lbs).  The right knee that ruptured had ACL/meniscus surgery (using cadaver ligament) about 15 years ago.    It was suggested that previous surgery can make RPT more likely to happen.  Also had Patella tendonitis in both knees for many years in my early 30's from playing sports.

New to group.   :( 

But after reading all these posts my attitude has changed!   :)  Thank you!!!!!!!!!

The facts are that I did the RPT deed on:

10/17 walking down my basement stairs.  Was on the 7th of 10 stairs when it decided to pop with no warning.  Luckily no other serious injuries.  First time in an ambulance!  Left there with Velcro splint and still wearing today.
10/21 Surgery, First week sucked!  Luckily my wife is not working right now.  After first week got off the narcotic pain killers and now not taking anything except for aspirin each morning.
11/6 first follow up appointment.  Went well and he bent my knee some and asked me to contract my quad.  Everything looked normal according to Doctor. I am on another 4 weeks of Short Term Disability (doing some emails from home).  Can at least walk carefully with brace and crutches.  No Stairs and can take a shower without a plastic bag on my leg!!!!
12/8 Next appointment and start PT.  Not sure when I will be able to go to office since it is up stairs with no elevator.  Also no driving until at least this appointment.

I do have a few questions because I did not have much luck doing a search on just this thread only.

-How much swelling should you have after 3 weeks and how long does it last?
-I do have an automatic truck and was wondering when I could start driving again, legally?
-At what point can I fly again for work?
-With this rupture are you more susceptible to rupturing the other leg?

Thanks again for all the posts and look forward to any help fellow RPT's can provide.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5401 on: November 09, 2014, 05:17:35 PM »

Hi Manttila

Welcome the RPT thread on KneeGuru

In response to your questions, would advise as follows -

Driving - you would invalidate your car insurance policy if you do not have the OK and clearance from your OS, and even then it could take up to 3 months and then with the car seat right back.

Flying is not a problem - get a seat at the front with extra leg room - all airlines provide a wheelchair to and from the aircraft - so USE it - it`s no shame.

Because you have Ruptured your tendon, does not mean that it affects the other leg - true that you are putting more weight on the other leg as compensation but this eases off after a few months.

Suggest that you click on the undermentioned thread - contains a number of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru - it outlines the nature of your injury and gives you lots of advice on the rehab, which will take up to six months.

ASK questions - we are all here on this thread to give you advice.

Where do you live.

Take care - watch those wet leaves and snow and ice to come.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline manttila

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • One day at a time.
« Reply #5402 on: November 10, 2014, 01:33:32 AM »
John you are the man!  I appreciate all you do for the members of the forum!

I am presently living in North East TN but prior was in rural MA and CT.  I enjoy riding motorcycles and this is definitely putting a crimp in my style!

Thanks for the response on flying and driving.  Will keep that in mind.

Are there any specific articles you would recommend?

I am sure there are more questions to come!

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5403 on: November 10, 2014, 05:01:25 AM »
Manttiila. Check the Insurance regulations in your own State as to driving regulations. My OS did not stipulate anything re driving and I was able to drive myself to work after 3 weeks. I was , in a former Life, a race driving instructor.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5404 on: November 10, 2014, 06:14:49 AM »
Hi Manttiila

Each article is relevant to a RPT injury - however, important to ask your PT - " have you seen this type of injury before, because it`s pretty rare ", that`s why reading up will give you a feast of knowledge before attending PT.

Just keep asking questions

Take care and forget your motorcycle for the time being

JohnK/ Manchester UK 

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Thomas99

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #5405 on: November 12, 2014, 10:14:35 AM »
So I had my appointment with my orthopaedic surgeon today and unfortunately not good news. I have partially re-ruptured my left knee patellar tendon again and I will need to have my patellar surgery redone again, so after 5 months back to the start again.

Surgeon will take some of my right leg hamstring for use as graft as they used the left hamstring for the graft in the first surgery.

Not looking forward to surgery and the pain again, but the tendon needs to be fixed.

Surgery scheduled for 3 weeks.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5406 on: November 12, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »
HI Thomas99

Reruptured your PTendon after five months - that`s bad luck - you are aware of the long haul back to recovery, but am sure that you have made suitable preparations -

Please do keep us informed.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5407 on: November 12, 2014, 02:45:16 PM »
THOMAS, sorry to hear about your rerupture.  Please let us know your progress...best to you!  MANTILLA, NE Tennessee is lovely...i've tavelled through the area a few times.  I live in KY so welcome to this site.  John is indeed the man and has lots of great info...but my only advice is be your own advocate, ask lots of questions and don't be intimidated by the OS or PT.  For instance, my PT was relatively young so she suggested leg raises early in the healing process.  I questioned this due to the data I found on this site and she, to her credit, appreciated the info and adjusted my sessions.  Remember, this is a relatively rare injury...so educate yourself.  I found the PT protocols online as well (I think it was University of Wisconsin or Minnesota), anyway, do your research and you will be fine.  It really sucks in the early going but please have PATIENCE and listen to your knee.  Knowledge is power, so if you know that full healing doesn't occur til the 12 week mark and that full recovery can take up to a year then you can adjust your expectations.  Now, I'm not saying that you don't have to push yourself through some discomfort...but do it methodically and consistently.  Quad sets, electro stim, and messaging my knee and scar were my best friends early on.  I really can't overstate the benefit of these things plus setting goals each week for my ROM and progressing toward it.  My opinion, the deep messaging and breakdown of scar tissue is key to optimizing ROM (range of motion).  Good luck and keep posting!
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline manttila

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • One day at a time.
« Reply #5408 on: November 12, 2014, 11:09:26 PM »
Thanks for the words of support.  Since north East TN has ETSU and a medical college here there are a lot of orthopedic knowledge in the area so I am pretty sure that I will find someone with RPT experience.  But I will ask some questions at the First PT appointment.

Thanks Again.

Offline manttila

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • One day at a time.
« Reply #5409 on: November 13, 2014, 12:48:12 AM »
I am starting to sense some numbness on the outside of my knee.  Is that common?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5410 on: November 13, 2014, 06:16:12 AM »
Hi Manttila

Numbness could be as a result that your OS has had to cut through some nerves during your operation.

Raise this question during your next visit to your OS and PT.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline kajacos16

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5411 on: November 16, 2014, 01:59:12 AM »
I had my surgery on Oct  29th so i am in week 3 post op. I had my follow up on Wed which was 2 weeks post op. I am a teacher and went back to work on crutches on Thursday. In my last appointment they unlocked my brace for execises. (Still locked straight when walking) and i am at 40 degrees. I really want to go without crutches, but after reading this forum i am now hesitant to do that. I have done it some to go short distances like to the bathroom and there is no pain. So i was wondering what others thought.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:18:35 AM by kajacos16 »

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5412 on: November 16, 2014, 02:17:33 AM »
Kajacos16. Having trouble with the math . Today is Nov15 so Sept29 would seem like 6 weeks ago. I was an RQT which is slightly different but I was at work 3 days post op and ditched my crutches on day 5 as my Arthritic wrists were causing me too much grief. If you are wearing a brace I do not see weight bearing as an issue. As stated elsewhere at six weeks I was hiking, but as a senior citizen I  don't have enough time left to mess around!
   Good luck
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline kajacos16

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5413 on: November 16, 2014, 04:17:57 AM »
Im sorry i meant oct 29th

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5414 on: November 16, 2014, 09:55:04 AM »

Hi Kajacos16    Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru

Reading through your post on this thread, would comment that the first six weeks or so are very precious and I would be very cautious in your activities - You must remain NON weight bearing for some time until the tendon has healed, this can take up to 8/2 weeks and it would be wise to continue to use your crutches.  Likewise NO driving for quite some time, until your OS gives you clearance to do so.

Glad that you have taken the trouble to read some of the previous posts on this thread and suggest that you click onto the undermentioned thread - this contains a number of documents which explains your injury and the rehab procedures which can take up to a minimum of six months.

How did you sustain your injury?   Where did you live?

Kep posting - ask questions, we are here to help you through this traumatic time.

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Complete Ruptured Tendon