Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1248696 times)

Offline dtr42

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 87
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5385 on: September 17, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »
Hi Rock,If you can  get some hydro therapy or at worst in a warm jacuuzi in your public pool as doing your ROM to 90 degrees will be easier as the heat and support in the water allows you to push the knee a wee bit harder ,it will also come together at your bodies pace and better slow and sure than pushing to hard and re injuring the knee.Patience is also a way of life I'm afraid to say but you will notice the difference as you recover .At week 11/12 i was 105 degree's with a bit of pushing from therapist .good luck on your recovery .

Offline Jmac780

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #5386 on: September 20, 2014, 05:24:40 PM »
I'm 10 months post surgery and things have been mostly going well. But for the past 4 months my patella has been sublexing. Whenever I'm in a chair and go to straighten my leg it clicks. Also now getting pain in my lower quads above my patella, anyone else have experience with this?

Offline JJ Rock

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5387 on: September 22, 2014, 05:30:41 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Thank so much to Dtr42, Carkeltom & John42 for your kind words.

I'm gaining slowly I'm at 60 degrees, seems like I'm able to gain a degree a day which is good. Trying not to push too hard.  I did some hydro therapy this weekend in the hot tub. Felt really good...

As for your questions John42, I am actually originally from Leeds, England moved to Toronto, Canada 23 years ago.  I ruptured my patella tendon while playing basketball with a few friends. It happened on the Sunday had an all inclusive vacation booked to Mexico on the Friday lol. Needless to say my vacation plans were put on hold for a while. 

At any rate, can't say this enough this is a great forum...thanks again everyone!

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5388 on: September 24, 2014, 10:03:49 PM »
Fishy Here, and this is my 16 month "anniversary" since my double RPT.  What a trip (pun intended).  Running is still not in the picture, and stairs are "one at a time with handrail".  Still have aches and pains in the quads, knees keep clicking on occasion....BUT I can walk almost normal, sit and rise, squat!, carry 50 lb loads, etc., and I am, from all outward appearances, back to being "normal".  I can remember the horror of looking at my legs after falling two steps downstairs, I remember the horrendous pain, the surgery, the blanketyblank PT, endless PT, and the slow recovery.  And I am grateful.  Thanks to this website and John42, all the other members of this club and all the friends that kept me sane, I am almost back to "normal". I am just a tribute to technology.  Without an army surgeon I wouldn't have been put back together.  Without the PT doc I wouldn't have regained my mobility.  Without my brothers in pain at the VA clinic I may have lost focus. Sooooo much to be grateful for.  My fellow RPTers kept me sane.  My wife comforts me.  And life goes on.  Patience, RICE, and a dash of humor along the way.  Stay strong my friends.... Bob

Offline tonestone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #5389 on: October 13, 2014, 06:19:06 PM »
Its been 3 years and 3 months since I suffered my Ruptured Patellar Tendon to my right knee; I suffered my injury at the age of 47 and made a full recovery.  Full recovery for me was being able to play softball again at the level I played for years against young players.   It was not until I heard that Victor Cruz of the NY Giants (American Football) suffered a torn patellar tendon in his right knee that made me think of what I went through and what this young man must be thinking.  The question of will I ever play again or will I ever be 100% again.

My post today is to let everyone on this forum know that yes you can make a full comeback and be your old self.  Remember it will take time, patience is the key!!!  Listen to your OS, PT and most importantly YOURSELF its your knee.  To all the old and new members of this club I wouldn't wish this injury on anyone but there is light at the end of the tunnel :) :) :)  Keeping a positive attitude is the only way to get by this, remember every person is different so don't gauge your progress against others use what they have done to assist you in knowing that you too will get there with time. 

Good luck and take care
06/27/11 Ruptured right Patella Tendon
07/08/11 Surgery
09/15/11 Rom 125
10/12/11 Current Rom 137
10/27/11 Current Rom 140

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5390 on: October 23, 2014, 04:27:36 AM »
Jerry here, alls quiet on the site so I thought I'd check in.  I'm doing very well and I hope the same for all my old buddies.  ROCK, I had a lot of success by really massaging my knee.  I placed my thumbs parallel to scar and alternated thumbs up and down as well as over scar side to side to really break the adhesions.  I suggest using a little rubbing oil for lubrication and really go at it after the 12 week threshold when tendon should be completely healed (of course, check with your OS).  Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:22:21 PM by JC55 »
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5391 on: October 25, 2014, 12:53:33 AM »
I was really pleased with the progress I'd been making until a few months ago I started feeling intermittent sharp pains in my knee.  I suspected that I'd broken the figure of eight wire that was used to hold my repair together.  My GP sent me for an X-ray and she rang me yesterday to say that I was right, the wire is broken in 2 places.  She's arranging for me to go back to the OS who did the repair.

I'm so annoyed because I asked about having it taken out once I could do a straight leg raise but the OS said no, contradicting what his registrar had told me just 2 weeks previously.  If I'd had it done back then I'd be recovered by now.  Instead I'm facing another open knee surgery on a wire which is probably surrounded by scar tissue this far after the original op.

Has anyone had the wire removed this long after surgery?
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5392 on: October 25, 2014, 02:58:46 AM »
What can we say Sella , other than to offer our sympathy. Could it not be  removed arthroscopicly?  Waiting (till May ) for an MRI on mine to see if bone chips should be removed. Hang in there and Good Luck!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5393 on: October 25, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
Hi Stuart, because the wire is in a figure of eight and is tied off with a triple twist at the end it usually involves opening up the knee again.  It would have been much more easily done at the 3-4 month mark which is what I was expecting.

I don't think my OS expected me to be very active but I've worked really hard on this knee.  It's quite common for these wires to break and cause problems but I'm really dreading the inconvenience of having another op having gotten my life back to normal.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the bone chips.

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5394 on: October 25, 2014, 09:39:10 PM »
Fishy here.....darn SellaVe, its just depressing to hear.  You know we all are concerned for your recovery.  By now you know the drill....I will put my two cents in....be positive, get informed, and our prayers are with you.  Take care all....

Offline cabrev

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5395 on: October 26, 2014, 03:44:58 PM »
It's been more than three years since my accident, thought I'd check in.  It's great to see that the site is still active (though of course on the other hand, I guess that means others are suffering through the same injury).  I've been back to doing all the things I enjoy for a long time.  I worked the rehab hard back then, and recovered my full range of motion, probably more than I had to begin with (worked the good knee to that point, too).  In fact not possible to bend it further, as I can bury my heel into my butt.  The one thing that I would recommend to all is to keep up the exercise.  As long as I exercise and stretch it, it feels great, if I get busy and stop doing that, that's when I can really tell it had been injured at some point.  If I miss, it is able to be quickly brought back around.  Keep after it!  I notice SellaVee commenting on the wire breakage.  I had the wire, and at one point started experiencing real sharp pains, particularly when bending/exercising.  I finally went in and found that it had broken in several pieces.  A couple of the pieces had even migrated a fair distance.  I was similarly worried about the "set-back".  They removed the pieces with three small incisions, arthroscopically but with a couple of the incisions being up to 3/4" due to the location of the pieces.  I went in all concerned about another rehab, but was essentially able to "walk out of" the operating room.  Within about three days of messing around with it, I was close to being back to nromal.  Nothing at all like I was worried about.  Did they tell you it definitely needs to be "opened up"?  If so, ask them to explain "why", in your case.  The pieces in mine were all over the place, and one was fairly hidden, being the reason for the largest incision.  The wire also had the "bread-tie" ends.  Not sure what would make it necessary to open up the knee, but of course I'm no doctor, and I'm sure every case is a bit unique.  Best of luck to all!

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5396 on: October 27, 2014, 01:31:52 AM »
Cabrev, thanks for posting.  I found your experience encouraging.  I haven't seen the surgeon yet so I'll be guided by what he says.

Other posters have said that they had most of the original scar opened up again to get the wire out but 3 small incisions would be better than 1 large one.  Since mine is also in several pieces they'll need access in a few places.

Anyway I'm heading off for some winter sun so hopefully I'll hear from the hospital when I get back.  Meanwhile I'll hope my experience mirrors yours.

Thanks again, Sella.

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5397 on: October 30, 2014, 02:45:12 PM »
Thanks for the update cabrev...great to hear from experienced RPTers.  SELLA, sorry to hear about your setback but you'll bounce back fast (especially since you are so "bendy", as you have put it...😃). While I Didnt have wire in knee, I have gone through screw and rod removal from a serious elbow injury.  After the swelling, etc had gone down and with a little rest I was back to pre-op condition in about the same time it took the incision to heal.  I know you'll do great!  I'm fine, knee feels great and I have noticed more sensations coming back where it was once totally numb. Isn't quite normal but a little bit of feeling is better then nothing.  Hope all are doing well!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:50:33 PM by JC55 »
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline Thomas99

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #5398 on: November 07, 2014, 09:59:30 PM »
Hi,

I'm concerned that I have partially re-ruptured my patellar tendon. I am 5 months post surgery to repair a complete mid substance patellar tear, with a wire inserted for strengthening and hamstring graft used. I still can not do straight leg raises, only managing to lift foot about 1 centimetre with extreme pain.

My local GP organised a MRI scan of my knee, and I see a private orthopaedic surgeon on Wednesday, public hospital orthopaedic surgeon stopped seeing me after 12 weeks, as they don't see patients post 12 weeks.

After 5 months I would have thought the tendon would have healed after surgery and would not show on a MRI.

MRI report states " There does appear to be a small amount of residual intact patellar tendon, best appreciated on Sagittal image 14 where a 2.5mm thick segment of the most superficial fibres appear to remain intact, but there is high grade tear with deficiency of the more deep fibres, greater than 50% thick, extending over at least 25mm longitudinally from the inferior pole of the patella. The patellar tendon is quite thickened and heterogenous in signal at its lower end consistent with tendinopathy or post surgical change.

MRI report comment "There is evidence of a high grade partial thickness patellar tendon tear although there are some residual intact superficial fibres.

I read this MRI report as stating I have partially re-ruptured my patellar tendon, would you agree ? Or is this just the tendon slowly healing from the first rupture and surgical repair.

My physiotherapist and local GP did not seem overly concerned with report ?, noting GP acknowledges she does not have experience with this injury and knows I'm seeing a orthopaedic surgeon Wednesday.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5399 on: November 07, 2014, 10:06:49 PM »
Hi Thomas99

Lets hope that you have not sustained a rerupture - please remember to post an update after you have seen your OS.

Take care and watch ou for those wet leaves.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support