Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249621 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5355 on: July 18, 2014, 07:58:29 AM »
Hi d j a m

Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru

You have sustained a very serious injury with a long rehab process in front of you.  It is clear that your PT is pressing you too hard to achieve a reasonable ROM.

Suggest that you read some of the previous posts on this thread -read some of the documents on the undermentioned thread - you will then learn about your injury and the rehab procedure - it could take you up to six months to reach 120ROM.

Where do you live?

Listen to your knee - PATIENCE - Don`t push it - the tendon has got to heal and then stretch and more stretching - keep posting
Take care

JohnK/Manchester UK 

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #5356 on: July 18, 2014, 12:36:03 PM »
Good to see all my old friends are getting along so well.  I am at just over ten months.  Double RPT.  Getting along well.  In the gym 4 to 5 days per week.  Have gotten a good amount of quad size (and some strength) back.  I use a Smith Machine for squats (for balance and control) and am up to 2 plates per side (45 lbs each plate).  On leg press, up to 12 plates (6 plates per side). 

Could push it more, but no need to.  Also starting to see VMO again.  Has taken a while.  I do lunges while holding a dumbbell on the side I am working and a bench on the other side for balance (one side at a time for 10 to 15 reps).  This has helped the VMO.

Still have clicking, popping, catching under knee cap.  Mostly left knee, right does it some but not as much.  Does not hurt.  I believe this is called crepitus (sp?)... 

Overall, happy with where I am for a double RPT at ten months. 
Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline d_j_a_m

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #5357 on: July 18, 2014, 07:06:08 PM »
Hi John, thanks for the reply. I have read through the thread and have to admit following the journeys of previous RPT patients, particularly the dual ruptures has been inspirational and shows the light at the end of the tunnel. Just a little more about me, I'm 25, active duty military, around 6'1 175 at the time of injury. I currently reside in FL. One question is, I've read about some people getting into the pool and was wondering the time frame for when that was started?

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #5358 on: July 20, 2014, 03:57:15 AM »
d_j_a_m  sorry about the injury.  The pool is a great idea.  I think Dan, another RPT and even a double at that, was in the pool quite often.  I did not have access to my own pool, being in the Midwest, but I did have the opportunity to use a hotel pool on a semi-regular basis and it was awesome.  Talk with you PT and OS, since I had issues, being a double myself, with getting into and out of the pool, before I had my braces off.  I did not have a good leg to rely on, and the pool was not accessible.  However, after braces, I found it better than PT and working out.  Being able to move freely and not having the weight load on my knees, was great.

Dan, glad to hear you are doing good.  I wish I had your energy to work out that hard.  I seem to have made small gains in getting my quads back.  The VMO is the toughest I think and that is part of my stability problems at time.  I have had some luck with wall squats with a rubber ball between my knees, just for the static exercises. 

Good luck DJAM.

Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5359 on: July 21, 2014, 11:56:41 AM »
d_j_a_m

I would get in the pool as soon as possible if I were you.  As soon as your doc releases you for therapy that is.  It is a great way to get some low impact movement.  They will want your incision to be pretty well sealed before allowing you into the water.  I did not do anything fancy.  At the beginning, I may have held onto the edge of the pool while making small kicks.  I then progressed to walking and jogging in the shallow end, and swimming laps after that.  Scissors kicks seemed to feel right from a therapeutical standpoint.  There is also a device you can purchase (a waist band and flippers) to allow you to run/jog in the deeper water.  I can't recall the name of the device, but I believe "aqua" is in the name. 

Tom,

Thanks.  I have been a gym rat most of my life.  Certainly doesn't hurt as rehab goes, but it is also the reason for my injury...  So not sure how to look at it.  Catch 22, maybe???

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5360 on: July 21, 2014, 11:59:30 AM »
d_j_a_m,

Do a search on AquaJogger.  Several people recommended it.  I never picked it up though.
Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline d_j_a_m

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #5361 on: July 24, 2014, 09:13:56 PM »
Hi Vonlehmd,

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely move in that direction. I have been in therapy since week 4 so that shouldn't be a problem. The incision is fully closed and I shower without any protection, so immersing it in water shouldn't be an issue. I have an appointment with the surgeon next week and I will check with him then to be sure. I'll definitely look into that Aquajogger. Has anyone had any issues with pool rules not allowing flotation devices or anything like that in the pool, especially lap pools? BTW, my range of motion is definitely improving, measured it at 105 degrees today with some pushing from the PT. I don't know if I can reach 120 degrees by the appointment with the surgeon but I'm definitely going to get close.

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5362 on: July 28, 2014, 07:12:28 PM »
Fishy here, and Hi to D J A M....welcome to the club.  You have already found our cheer leader ( John42)...follow his suggestions and you will be heading in the correct direction.  I am a double, 67 yo male, and I am 14 months post event.   I had my surgery at a VA hospital in Anchorage, Alaska, and rehabbed with airborne troops about 1/3 my age.  It has been a journey, and one that has required patience, discipline, and educating myself to a new way of living.  I am an ex-marathoner learning how to run, I lost 4 inches off each quad (atrophy), have regained some but lost 15% of my body weight to compensate for the muscle loss.  My legs still ache (combination of the injury and age) but I keep on truckin'.  My suggestion is simple, do the best you can.  Keep your spirits up, laugh, and patience....Bob

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5363 on: August 11, 2014, 06:13:29 PM »
Jerry here...48 weeks post-op!  Happy belated one-year anniversary to Tom.  Glad to hear all the regulars progressing and that the newer folks doing well.  I need to be honest...I've been a little lazy about going to the gym.  I feel strong, no problems, knee looks and feels good.  Popping has definitely improved (I think because VMO is almost 100% of other knee).  I think my gym regime will kick back in when my daughter returns to college...been having fun hanging out with the family and doing the things I couldn't last Fall/Winter.

I was thinking about the day I hurt my knee and I almost got sick..it seems I can picture the moment clearly and my stomach turns at the thought.  Maybe it hasn't bothered me this much previously because I've been so focused on the rehab.  Now, toward the end of my journey, I look back and realize just how serious the injury was and how fortunate I am to get better without too many issues.  I owe a lot of it to you all for "picking me up" when I was down...very down...and the light at the end of the tunnel was faint.  We've come a long way, and we should all celebrate our successes! 
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5364 on: August 11, 2014, 07:54:24 PM »
Well done Jerry -

There is light at the end of the tunnel - 12 months is the average time to recover to preinjury status -

all the best

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #5365 on: August 13, 2014, 01:35:36 AM »
Way to go jC55! Happy for you. Can't end the celebration without showing us final pictures of the knees lol.

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5366 on: August 15, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »
Fishy here, 14 1/2 months post injury from a double RPT.  JC55, great to hear, I know exactly what you mean....accepting this injury and moving on has  been my goal.  I have to explaining to my wife that my legs hurt at night and sometimes I just flop like a fish to get comfortable....Ibruphrophen or Alleve help.  Keep the faith...  Bob

Offline Thomas99

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #5367 on: August 18, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »
Hi,

I completely ruptured my patella tendon in the middle section after tripping on the footpath. Tendon was repaired via hamstring graft, and inserting a wire to protect repair. I'm now 9 weeks post op with 50% weight bearing with crutches with brace locked at 0 degrees while walking and 75 degrees non weight bearing. Third PT visit Wednesday. Rom was last measured at 60, think May have increased this to 75.

Last night I had multiple muscle spasms over a period of 90 minutes ( about 30 ) with each lasting about 30 seconds each. I was asleep with noise of brace moving waking the wife, before I woke up. Has anyone else experienced similar muscle spasms. Still can not do straight leg raise at all.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5368 on: August 18, 2014, 04:19:21 PM »
Hi Thomas99

I suspect that you my be pushing a little too hard -  You are between 6 and 10 weeks, when the aim is to reach 90ROM - just listen to your knee and be PATIENT

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #5369 on: August 18, 2014, 07:41:55 PM »
Thomas99, sorry about the injury and everyone here feels your pain.  I would say you are right on target with the typical protocol.  I am not sure about the hamstring graft, but I have read about it.  As for the muscle spasms, been there and done that.  With the leg locked at 0 degrees and getting 75 for passive ROM, you are not getting much exercise and muscles tend to do that (spasm) when inactive and you have a potassium deficiency.  Try some over the counter potassium pills or bananas.  I worked for me.  Hope that helps.  Follow the PT as they usually have more experience than your OS.  Do not fret the ROM and setbacks, the ROM will come after healing and at 9 weeks your are not fully healed.  I ruptured both patellar tendons and I was locked for at least 13 weeks before I actively began increasing the ROM.  Good luck with the healing and rehab.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13