Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249582 times)

Offline Egatsby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 21
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5325 on: June 04, 2014, 03:47:10 PM »
4 weeks to the day of surgery. I ditched my crutches like 10 days ago, I started swimming 5 days ago. Just completed my second PT session this morning I'm at 83 degrees hoping to hit 90 by next week. I'm 33yrs old and because I had this same injury to my right knee 8yrs ago my mindset is different. The fear of the unknown isn't there for me I know how to listen to my knee.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5326 on: June 04, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »
Hi Egatsby

Welcome to the RPT club - are you in a plaster cast or a brace - 83ROM at 4 weeks is too much after only four weeks and would suggest that you slow down a bit, as in a normal recovery, the ROM is about 35/40 up to week six, and then 90ROM after 10/12 weeks.   

Has your PT seen this type of injury before?

How did you sustain your injury? where do you live? 

Read some of the previous posts in this thread and ASK questions.

JohnK/ Manchester UK   
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Egatsby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5327 on: June 04, 2014, 08:39:25 PM »
I'm in a brace. In not doing any over exertion I was at about 65 before I even started PT. I sustained it playing basketball. I live in Atlanta. Like I've said I sustained this injury to my other knee 8yrs ago so I know the rehab protocol this knee is just naturaly progressing faster than expected. I've read damn near ever post on this board over the past month . My doc saw my progress last week and he had no problem with my progress

Offline Egatsby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5328 on: June 04, 2014, 08:49:57 PM »
Hi Egatsby

Welcome to the RPT club - are you in a plaster cast or a brace - 83ROM at 4 weeks is too much after only four weeks and would suggest that you slow down a bit, as in a normal recovery, the ROM is about 35/40 up to week six, and then 90ROM after 10/12 weeks.   

Has your PT seen this type of injury before?

How did you sustain your injury? where do you live? 

Read some of the previous posts in this thread and ASK questions.

JohnK/ Manchester UK   

Too much according to whom? I'm right on par with this rehab protocol
http://www.massgeneral.org/ortho/services/sports/rehab/Quadriceps%20and%20Patellar%20tendon%20repair%20rehabilitation.pdf

We all aren't built the same. . .

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5329 on: June 04, 2014, 10:26:04 PM »
Welcome back? Egatsby.
Suspected you were in a brace if you were swimming!
  Trust your PT and your body. I ditched my crutches at day 5 due to weak wrists and my brace at  week5 on the advice of my PT. I was  doing a fairly strenuous hike at week 6, so don't be afraid to push the envelope within your comfort zone.
  The Powers that be must naturally advocate a conservative approach, whereas those of us who have benefitted from a more modern and aggressive protocol I feel need to make our experiences known!

Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Egatsby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5330 on: June 04, 2014, 10:39:01 PM »
Welcome back? Egatsby.
Suspected you were in a brace if you were swimming!
  Trust your PT and your body. I ditched my crutches at day 5 due to weak wrists and my brace at  week5 on the advice of my PT. I was  doing a fairly strenuous hike at week 6, so don't be afraid to push the envelope within your comfort zone.
  The Powers that be must naturally advocate a conservative approach, whereas those of us who have benefitted from a more modern and aggressive protocol I feel need to make our experiences known!

Wow 6 weeks!! That's impressive!! Yes I had a brace but I actually ditched that a week ago. I just wear a sleeve. From my previous experimce my personal belief is a lot of this is mental and I made up my mind day 1 that I was going to attack this rehab and not letit beat me. I've changed my entire lifestyle everything I out in my body is based around getting my knee healthy so I expect to regain form faster than most.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5331 on: June 06, 2014, 08:53:14 AM »
Hi Egatsby

Appreciated your comments - yes, some patients do heal and regain their ROM sooner than others, although never came across anybody who has made such progress as yourself.  Carry on the good work.

I was pleased to read the article issued by Sports Medicine, and this has been noted and kept for future reference.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK 

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #5332 on: June 06, 2014, 09:15:30 PM »
The article says to be in the CPM machine at least 10 hours a day and to use it at night in bed while sleeping. A bit much, I would say.
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5333 on: June 06, 2014, 09:53:35 PM »
Don`t know anybody who used a CPM machine for more than a couple of hours per day.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5334 on: June 09, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »
Egatsby, I agree that a lot of this is mental and I think I could have progressed faster if I'd known more about my injury, which of course those who've suffered a previous rupture do.

In any case, I feel I did do a lot better than I would have if I hadn't found these forum boards and I must thank the posters like John42 who have kept the thread going.  It's a wonderful resource, almost a history of rupture rehab.  I pushed myself a bit further than the NHS was suggesting and found another physiotherapist who really made a difference.

Nowadays I think full ROM is achievable for many of us who work at it but the key to success is knowledge, anda good physiotherapist.  I'm immensely grateful to all the posters who shared their experiences here.

Aim for the highest.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5335 on: June 09, 2014, 11:30:57 AM »
Forgot to say, I also downloaded the rehab protocol in the link above and found it very useful, but I've never even seen a CPM machine.  I don't think they're widely used in the UK.  Other than that I can really recommend the protocol.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline Egatsby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5336 on: June 09, 2014, 07:49:12 PM »
Forgot to say, I also downloaded the rehab protocol in the link above and found it very useful, but I've never even seen a CPM machine.  I don't think they're widely used in the UK.  Other than that I can really recommend the protocol.

I've only used the CPM machine once for about 10min. I'm at week 5 and hit 90 degrees today. Me and my therapist both decided to stop there until I see him again next week. My parents have a pool so I go over there and swim everyday for an hour. I do a lot of walking , kicking and water treading. I think my fast gains have been due to this.

Offline Sreavis73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #5337 on: June 10, 2014, 03:54:28 AM »
Well I am back for a check in. Will be 10 weeks post op this Friday. I am way beyond ahead of schedule and thankful for it. I went to my 5 week Ortho appt already bending to 90 degrees. My Dr looked at me as if I was nuts. Lol. Like I told him this isn't my first rodeo. I let my knee tell me when I have had enough. But at 9 1/2 weeks post op I am at 124 deg of flexion and my quad strenghth is coming back failry quickly. I go back to the Dr on the 11th and hopefully get the go ahead to return to most of my normal duties at work. We will see very soon!

Good Luck All!!
Full RPT 10/10/2001 Left Leg
Full RPT 03/26/2014 Right Leg

Offline NoGoodKnees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #5338 on: June 19, 2014, 05:31:44 PM »
Hi All, I posted my story and questions as a new thread (newbie to the site), but as it relates to this thread thought I may get more answers. Here is my original post.

I am a 42 year old female from Australia and have just found out I have a complex patella tendon rupture. On Wednesday the 11th June I slipped on a wet floor and injured my knee. MRI tests showed that I have fracture a bit of bone off my patella. A piece of tendon was attached to the small segment of fractured bone, and as it has come away from the patella it has torn the patella tendon on a slight diagonal down the middle into two separate pieces but is still attached to the tibia. The other half of the tendon is attached to the patella, but has torn off at the tibia. Resulting in 3 tears. This knee has a pre existing history with patella dislocations and due to this had patella realignment surgery in 1988. X-rays also indicated chronic arthritis in this knee as well. Surgery is booked to repair the rupture for Friday June 27th.

The days following the injury I had severe bruising at the base of my knee cap, down the front of my leg and behind the knee. Is this common? Due to nerve damage sustained in my previous surgery I don't have a lot of feeling in my knee, so to date the knee is only painful when I move it (I have been in an immobilisation brace since I did it).

Is there anyone who has had a similar tear like this that could share their story/ journey with me? I am just starting to realise that this is a serious injury and that rehab is a long process. I work in an office that has stairs and was wondering what the time frames where that people started back at work and also when they could start driving. Also wondering if people who have had complex ruptures had to have a tendon graph at all. Also what about size of scars. Have checked them out via 'Dr Google' and they look a decent size.

I see my surgeon for a consult on the Tuesday before my surgery so will also fire these questions at him, but would live to hear from people who have had similar repairs and get any advice on things to watch out for or tips on how to get through this the best I can.

Starting to get very nervous at the seriousness of it all and what I have ahead of me.

Thanks Heaps :-)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5339 on: June 19, 2014, 07:36:56 PM »
Hi and welcome to NoGoodKnees

Welcome to KneeGuru RPT thread - yes, you have sustained a very rare and serious injury with a very long rehab in front of you. 

Important that you read previous postings on this thread - lots of buddies out there to give you advice, however, not many from Australia.   Where do you live?

Suggest that you click on the underneath thread - contains a collection of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru - explains your injury and the rehab procedures.

ASK questions - listen to your knee - dont think about driving until your OS gives you the OK - three months plus.   Keep posting .
Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Complete Ruptured Tendon