Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1248597 times)

Offline Sreavis73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5295 on: April 20, 2014, 07:09:49 PM »
For those who are just out of surgery I highly recommend you get the Iceman Cold therapy system. This thing is the greatest invention on earth for those of us with knee problems. I don't know how I survived without it!
Full RPT 10/10/2001 Left Leg
Full RPT 03/26/2014 Right Leg

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5296 on: April 22, 2014, 04:38:38 PM »
Week 49 begins.  I am walking with a more normal gait and sitting and standing with less pain.  Life is slowly returning to normal as time and regimented PT take effect.  I watched the Boston marathon and sighed because that is one I let get away.  The race I am happy to have entered is the race to return to normalcy regarding walking, etc., and that one I am definately winning..... Bob

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5297 on: April 28, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »
Fishy here...week 50 begins.  Exercise in the form of yard work and walking.  Stairs are still difficult and it looks like a hand rail for stairs is in my future for the foreseeable future.  Walking gait is almost normal... I still have a problem with placing my feet down on a slope....but its all doable.  My diet has been on track...I have lost 16 pounds (11 weeks into diet with a goal of losing 24 pounds total)....my PT doc sat me down at my last session some 30 weeks ago and said that I could expect a 80% recovery and as hard as I have worked the 80% figure seems to be close to where I am now...and I am at peace with this prospect...by losing 24 pounds (roughly 15 % body mass) I will take some of the strain off my legs and compensate for the loss of leg strength/performance.  And life goes on.....  Bob

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #5298 on: May 03, 2014, 04:41:03 PM »
Hello everyone.  Hope you are all doing well with recovery and such.  I am about 10 months out from a double RPT and used the tractor for the first time last night since the accident.  I also got into what was left of the garden, since I dont have the ability to tend to it this year and cursed the ground I fell on.  The tractor was a big step since a tune up was first and also had to take off the winter implements.  But, I felt that I was getting back to a more somewhat normal routine.  Softball is in full swing with at least four practices and two games per week, I am getting more energy back and my endurance is on the upswing.  I can not take a full swing with the bat yet and I am having to sit on the bucket to catch the pitchers, which I knew I would have to do.  But, it is a start I guess and will not let the knees dictate what I can and can not do, within reason.  I still have some numbness in areas and the creaking and popping continues, but the more active I am, the less I notice.  Also can not run, but I do a sort of trot thing.  The elliptical the last few weeks has been a good thing. 

Hope everyone is doing well.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline jonathanpeacock1522

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #5299 on: May 03, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
Surgery monday! 2 days before my birthday....Surgeon is taking an achilles tendon graft and using that. Wish me luck!
Mar 12 2014- Torn Patellar Tendon

Offline Egatsby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #5300 on: May 04, 2014, 02:42:03 AM »
Just stumbled upon this message board. Ruptured my left PT 4/28/14 having surgery 5/7/14. I ruptured my right 8 years ago so I know the torture I have to look forward to. I ruptured them both playing basketball I'm officially retired now eff basketball. I will have matching scars on my knees so I guess that's kinda cool

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5301 on: May 04, 2014, 03:22:04 AM »
Egatsby. You have already grasped one of our guiding principles : focus on the positive!  Read what John has to say, research your PT carefully and Good Luck on Wednesday.
  Keep us posted.
Posting on the RQT site is fine. I suspect many of us follow both as we have much in common being different sides of the same coin, so to speak!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 03:25:43 AM by Stuart Rulka, Reason: Addition »
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5302 on: May 05, 2014, 04:46:31 PM »
Hi and welcome to the RPT/RQT web page -   

Having gone through this serious injury some years ago, you are well informed with the long rehab in store for you.

Read some of the previous posts - ASK questions and suggest that you click on the underneath thread, which contains a number of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru.  Just remember - DONT push it - listen to your knee and give sports a miss for for some months ahead.  Wish you well with your surgery.

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5303 on: May 05, 2014, 05:09:53 PM »
Week 51 begins.  No weight loss but no gain either,  but a 16 pound loss  in 12 weeks is still amazing...I am loosing weight to compensate for my anticipated loss of strength/function from my double RPT... as for PT this has been "the week of the deck" as I substitute lifting building materials and demolishing existing decking for my usual PT.  I had some lower back pain to accompany my normal leg pains....lol.  On a more sobering note to the new members that are undergoing surgery you will be in my prayers...keep posting all....  Bob

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5304 on: May 05, 2014, 05:25:51 PM »
Good luck, Jonathan, with your surgery today.  I hope all goes well.

Great to hear from you, Tom (and Jerry).

Beasman, I am so sorry that things have not gone so well for you and I'll pray that a new surgeon can help.

Today it's 10 months since my successful repair.  My main concern now is to strengthen my quads so that I have better control over my knee when going down stairs.  I'm continuing with Pilates and exercise biking and I'm hoping this extra exercise will keep me fitter in general.  Now, if I could only lose some weight ........

I've been doing some gardening, fishy, and to paraphrase Garth Brooks "I've got pains in new places."

Keep up the good work guys.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5305 on: May 05, 2014, 11:51:02 PM »
At home from my surgery. Doc said it went really well. The scar tissue had already started forming since I waited a while to have surgery, but he said this really helped him somehow. I have to keep my ace wrap on for ten days and can't get it wet. Must wear my brace for 6 weeks with 0-15 degrees flexion. After six weeks I shall begin rehabbing and I can't wait!! Pain is moderate at the moment and was much more uncomfortable right after surgery and on the way home.

Offline Unlimited6986

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #5306 on: May 06, 2014, 02:59:47 AM »
Goodluck Jonathan, you really won't have much pain right now because of the nerve block. Mine wore off after a day in a half. I stopped taking the pain pills after the first day. Horrible idea, the nerve block wore off and felt like someone took a blow torch to my knee. Took close to a day to have the pain go away. Stock with the pills until you don't need it. Just relax and stay positive. I'm 5 months from surgery (dec 2) going pretty good. Some days are good and some does suck.

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5307 on: May 06, 2014, 03:16:10 AM »
Week 34 post-op.  First things first, Beasman I wish you well on your new journey...but Colorado is one of the best places to be for knee surgery, you'll be good as new in no time.  John, Fishy, Sella, Tom, Stuart, King it's good to hear you are all well.  Jonathan, glad to hear surgery went well, I'm looking forward to reading your recovery posts.  Egatsby...you've got experience with this, so I hope you heal well like last time (I'm assuming that since you were playing ball this time as well).
Now, me!  Popping and cracking is gradually decreasing.  The bump on the side of my knee is noticeably going down where its hard to tell a difference from good knee (OS said it's the scar tissue reshaping as I use the knee more).  Still have a lot of numbness but I think it is getting better.  It's a strange feeling, different from the good knee but getting more "sensation", if that makes any sense.  I can easily navigate stairs but there is a certain point where my muscles, etc are weaker as I descend the stairs.  One legged squats are tough, but I feel stronger.  All in all, I feel lucky...now, if only I was lucky this past weekend on the Kentucky Derby.  I liked Danza (show horse...3rd place for you non-race folks) but he just couldn't find his stride.  I hope PEACE finds each of you and that one day you'll go a whole week without thinking about your knee(s).  PS: if any of you are ever in Louisville, look me up!  I throw a pretty good Derby party.
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5308 on: May 07, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »
Pain isn't really bothering me, just mainly bloating from constipation...anyone have any tips to help pass a bowel movement?

Offline dtr42

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #5309 on: May 07, 2014, 09:03:38 PM »
Pain isn't really bothering me, just mainly bloating from constipation...anyone have any tips to help pass a bowel movement?
Eating yoghurt 2 week by its sell by date  helped me once  :-[ however orange juice or dates or oil of figs will get that little train moving again . Are you on co-codomal for the pain ? as that causes bowel problems and good luck with the rehab as it takes a while but it all works out.