Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1274805 times)

Offline mpruett

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 25
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5220 on: March 03, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »
I live in Dallas, Texas, and I injured my knee in about the most mundane way I can think of.  I was outside in the yard doing some minor maintenance work on my back deck, and I had bad footing, fell, and rather than just fall headlong into the grass, I actually sort of brought my feet up in front of me and landed one-legged on my right leg with my knee bent about 70 degrees.  Patellar tendon snapped completely.   Took an ambulance ride to the hospital, ER doctor looked at it and confirmed what I'd suspected, and I had surgery the following afternoon.

I'm not a total stranger to this kind of thing- I tore my MCL completely and my ACL partially on the other knee years ago, and I'm familiar with rehab, but that one had me up and walking a lot faster with the brace than this one did.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5221 on: March 03, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »
Hi Mpruett

A simple trauma injury with a very long rehab, maybe six months or more.

Keep asking questions, because you have sustained a very rare injury.  PATIENCE is the keyword.

Please keep posting -

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #5222 on: March 04, 2014, 04:07:48 AM »
Jerry, I am glad you got the snow and ice and not me.  My driveway is about 100 yards, so shoveling is a real pain.  Luckily these past few snowstorms have not been too bad and one of my neighbors has a skid loader with a bucket to move the snow.  How is basketball season going?  Just picked the girls for the two teams I am coaching this season and started to put the garage in order to set up the batting cage.  Hope all is well.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5223 on: March 04, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »
Welcome, mpruett.  If baby is due at the end of April it could well arrive at the beginning of May when you'll be 4 months out.  You should easily be free of the brace by then and confidence comes with doing stuff, particularly in one's own environment where obstacles and surfaces are familiar.  I'm 20 years older than you and I was walking about indoors at 31/2 months quite the thing.  My baby grandson is 2 months old and I've been coping with him since he was born.  I know that's not the same as a toddler and one thing you may have trouble with is running, and also kneeling if you also fractured your kneecap but I think you'll manage.

Coming down stairs will be your biggest problem but toddlers cling on.  Just don't expect to look elegant!
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5224 on: March 05, 2014, 05:27:27 AM »
Tom, my driveway happens to be 100 yards as well...but relatively flat.  I went out to lay down a base layer of salt as soon as the sleet started to fall which made for easier shoveling the next day.  Going to be 50+ degrees in a day or so and all this white stuff will be gone.  Basketball is going well, thanks for asking...won first game of regionals tonight.  Two more wins and we go to State.  Hope softball gets you moving around...I still have trouble trusting my knee when I ask it to react quickly.  I feel hesitant which irritates me...PT says  I need to just take a leap of faith and try to move normally.  My new PT, who I saw this morning, has been great.  He has me doing a lot more athletic activities: lots of stretching, agility drills, and slides with a weight pulley ( I wear a belt with a line hooked up to a pulley lifting weights and slide laterally and then walk backwards and forwards).  Anyway, I feel good and hope all of you are doing well!
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5225 on: March 11, 2014, 04:07:12 AM »
OP+26 weeks/6 months/half year.  Anyway you say it, it's been a long time to live with a "not normal" knee.  First, the Bad: slight weakness going down stairs, clicking sound at times, and numbness. The Good: ROM is great, getting stronger, no pain (at least most of time), can walk normally, swelling is way down, scar looks great, stable in crowds, not afraid, and improving my mental outlook.
To all the relative newbies...keep pushing through, it gets better.  to all my friends these past several months...a heartfelt THANKS!  You all will never know what you meant to me in the early days...each of you were truly a blessing. 
I'll be off the board for awhile...need a break.  However, I'll be reading the posts and keeping up to date on everyone's progress.  May each of you find whatever success you want to achieve...whether it's running a marathon, being able to play with your kids or simply having no pain.  Bless you all!
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #5226 on: March 11, 2014, 11:03:03 AM »
Jerry,

My surgery was 9/13 2013.  I would have to say that my progress at 6 months is pretty much spot on with yours (except for my scar, which looks horrible). 

Clicking and weakness going down stairs is also my main concerns.  Also, seems the nerves have come along and can now feel more in the knee area. Still a little numbness, just not as much.

My sentiments to all on the board as well.  This has been a huge help in my healing process.  Thanks to all...

Dan

Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline dtr42

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #5227 on: March 12, 2014, 04:19:24 PM »
Hi well its week 19 and just had my last hydro therapy with NHS so now have knee bends to 135 degrees  and quad muscles improving every day. My one leg lunges have gone from very a unstable bend of 40 degrees  to 90 degree bend and straighten with my bad leg and no holding on to wall furniture  with no wobbles or twists .jogging has stopped per physio as it was putting to much pressure on the joint so now cycling on my road bike which I reckon is scarier than the straight leg lifts  with 10kg weight .I still have a bit of swelling and the scar is a bit rough at top of knee but twice daily with bio oil seems to be helping .The knee has clicks and creaks but apparently this is the norm for about a year . I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum as I have read a load of posts some encouraging some not so but all a great help in the process of healing .

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5228 on: March 12, 2014, 06:32:34 PM »
Hi dtr42

Delighted that you have made such progress - listen to your knee - it`s going to remind you from time to time, that you sustained an injury

Best of luck

JohnK/ Manchester \\uk

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline mpruett

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5229 on: March 14, 2014, 08:32:26 PM »
Good news!  Almost to Week 10, and I'm at 100 degrees flexion, and full extension. 

I'm cleared to drive, which I've been doing for a little less than a week now with nothing but minor soreness when in heavy traffic.  I'm also starting to use the exercise bike in physical therapy- I was a little surprised to find that I could actually do full rotations in both directions. 

My physical therapist has me doing quad exercises using a blue thera-band- it's kind of nice to feel my quads actually getting a workout finally!  It's also nice to be to the point where in ROM exercises I can feel my quad muscles stretching, and not just the knee joint.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5230 on: March 14, 2014, 08:52:50 PM »
Hi mpruett

Delighted to read your latest post - however, reaching 100ROM after ten weeks is very good, but exceptional - so listen to your knee - the tendon is not 100% healed - we don`t want that tendon to rupture again.

Keep posting and take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline mpruett

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5231 on: March 15, 2014, 04:51:09 PM »
The funny thing is that it's not the patellar tendon that I feel stretching as much as it's the other stuff around the knee.  The tendon doesn't really give me any pain or trouble, which is not what I expected at all.

Still, I'm only going up to the point of discomfort with the stretching- maybe a 2 on the pain scale.  I'm actually not trying to push the rehab at all- it's just doing well. 

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5232 on: March 17, 2014, 02:39:45 PM »
Week 45 for fishy....progress is slow but sready....missed the gym last week but compensated with home elyptical machine workouts. My legs are stronger....I am heading to Hawaii this May to celebrate my recovery... dieting for the last 3 weeks and I have lost 4.6 lbs (I am an engineer so of course I will track my weight loss to the closest tenth of a pound).  Take care and stay strong...is ice cream a diet food?....probably not..... Bob

Offline Jmac780

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #5233 on: March 22, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »
Hey everybody I'm at week 15 doing  really well back at work full time. Monday im going to do acupuncture at physio to help with swelling has anyone tried that and did it help?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5234 on: March 22, 2014, 04:13:33 PM »
Hi Jmac780 

Good - what ROM have you reached? have you been given the OK to drive?

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon