Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1273743 times)

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5175 on: January 28, 2014, 12:48:09 AM »
Fishy here, week 37 starts and the gym workouts are making a difference.  My walking stride is more like "normal" (but there are time when I think I am using borrowed legs), my pains are more like sore muscles than repaired muscles.  The quads are much smaller than pre accident, but things are getting better.  My scar is nicely healed, and when I am sitting it looks great (I had surgery on my left leg, my right leg quad was severely torn but my OS elected to not surgically repair...both legs were in braces for 12 weeks).  I am hopeful that I can try a slow jog....time will tell.   Bob

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5176 on: January 28, 2014, 02:02:54 AM »
OP+20 weeks today.  I have a lot to be thankful for...this board being among the top.  My knee is looking better but still pops at times when I walk.  Swelling is going down, knee feeling stronger but numbness is still present.  I can walk, do a slow trot/jog, bend all the way, kneel if I have to, play with the dog, shovel all the miserable snow off the drive, but I keep raising my expectations because I don't want to settle for anything less than full recovery.  I know I'll never be as good as pre-injury...but I have to strive to be the best post-injury...what other choice is there?  I think my injury has been like a loss to me.  I've gone thru all the stages of recovery from denial to being mad to acceptance.  It has not been an easy journey for me and as some of you know who've read my earlier posts, the blackness of depression stayed with me for a good long while.  I wish it never happened, but I find myself a more empathetic man.  Someone who takes the time now to listen to those with injuries and pains.  Their trials and tribulations give me strength and at times I feel ashamed for being so focused on myself and my problem which, in the grand scheme of things, is not a tremendous burden.  There are so many more with so much more suffering than me.  I'm finally finding a little peace...it's been a long time coming.
I hope this post finds you all in good spirits...I wish you all the absolute best!
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline tazo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
  • Complete tear of right patella tendon, 24 Dec 2013
« Reply #5177 on: January 28, 2014, 10:21:07 AM »
Hi All RPT's!   Another new club member...

I live in South Africa and completely tore my right Patellar Tendon whilst on holiday.  I went for a crayfish dive in really cold water and following the dive I turned to look around and fell to the ground - the knee didn't look right but because of the cold I could not feel anything.  My friends helped me up and felt like I could still put weight on the leg - on the first step my knee gave in and I fell backwards with knee underneath me...that was it!

Operation on Christmas morning and suffered driving back with the fam to our hometown 1400km away had to do a few stop-overs along the way.

I'm now on week 5 have about 30degrees and stepped up the Physio, still a lot of stiffness and pain bending the leg. 

I'm 41 and very active so frustrating at the moment.  I found the forum very helpful and would appreciate any tips / advise...
Ters, South Africa
Complete tear of right patella tendon, 24 Dec 2013
Surgery 25 Dec 2013

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5178 on: January 28, 2014, 11:07:33 AM »

Hi Tazo

We don`t like to welcome newbies to this exclusive club, but this is the best reference site for your very RARE injury.

You are in for a very long rehab period with lot`s of PATIENCE (keyword) PATIENCE.

Suggest that you start reading some of the previous posts on this thread and likewise click onto the undermentioned thread.  This contains a set of documents which I have collated together with KneeGuru.

ASK questions - keep posting - we are all here to help you.  Ask your PT " have you seen this type of injury before?  (doubt it )   Don`t attempt to drive until your OS clears you fit to drive.

I believe that you are only the second person on this thread to post from South Africa - which part of S.A. do you live in.

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #5179 on: January 28, 2014, 03:43:13 PM »
Hi JC55 i believe that full recovery is definitely possible. I feel like a lot of people give up the rehab once they can walk normally, but as an athlete i am almost 2 years post op and still work out my leg 2-3 times a week and I am still getting gains when I play basketball. My tendon in no way slows me down, it is my kneecap that does because I also fractured that. It is just a waiting game as long as you do all you are supposed to. Soon you will forget that you hurt that knee.

Offline dtr42

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #5180 on: January 29, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »
Seen surgeon on Tuesday happy for me to start driving again ;D was hoping to be back at work on Monday butinstead I  get my pre op check tomorrow and booked for  surgery Wednesday 5th Feb surgeon recons 10-14 days recovery and then back to work [can only hope] I asked if it could be a local anasthetic but he says it will be to painful removing the wire and better with a general ,hence pre op ECG and BP etc.Is the surgeon right regarding the 10 day recovery [I need to be driving before my work will let me back] or has anyone went straight back to work after wire removal?

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5181 on: January 29, 2014, 05:54:54 PM »
Dtr42. It is the driving that this hinges on, and the amount of flex ion you are allowed. I was back at work 3 days after surgery (RQT) but I couldn't drive for 2weeks.don't take chances at this stage!
   Good luck.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5182 on: January 29, 2014, 06:54:41 PM »
DTR42

The deciding factor is the emergency stop - In the event that you do not receive a positive response from your OS, you are in danger of losing your Insurance Cover.

DON`T take any risk - not worthwhile.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #5183 on: February 01, 2014, 02:57:50 AM »
Hello to all.  Sorry about the delay in posting, but have been keeping up with the posts, but just have not felt I have done anything worth posting.  Just about 25 weeks post injury and surgery of a double RPT.  I have been walking around my neighborhood when the weather and road conditions allow.  My tendons do not really hurt much anymore.  I still have some pain on the inside and outside of each knee and my quad tendon gets very sore with lots of exercise.  No swelling to speak of at all.  I do have the continuing numbness around the surgical site, mostly below the incision to almost 6 inches below the bottom of the scar.  And I have also been having some numbness of my entire legs from mid thigh down and it could be while I am walking or standing or seated.

I have been using my elliptical on bad weather days and the ROM seems to be almost back to normal and the OS at 23 weeks said he was pleased with the progress.  Trying to get back into cardio shape for softball season.  I will have a team of 7 year old girls and 13/14 year olds.  I am not really looking forward to the outfield work, as I tend to be more cautious on uneven ground and grass.  I think I am going to be the dirt coach this year even though I have not even taken a swing with a bat.  I have some fear of swinging and losing my balance and ending up on the ground (which by the way I can now get up from rather easily).    I am glad to see everyone is making progress and healing.  Seems like just yesterday I was looking at my knees for 24 hours a day in those dang braces. 

DTR42-once the OS let me bend my knees, I could drive.  I have an automatic car and size 15 feet, so I was able to move my foot from foot to brake with ease.  I tried my manual 5 speed shift after about 4 months and was able to drive and shift, but it was tough.

Welcome to Tazo.  Sorry about the injury, but those first 6-8 weeks of immobility and passive flexion are the key to healing I believe.  I found my personal electrical stim machine to be of great help and if your physio has one and uses it, take the time to use it.  Take your time and listen to your knee.  You are the only one who can tell how your knee feels.

I find my walking to be more normal, with the exception of walking down sloping ground.  I instinctively reach out with my toes, but keep working on heel to toe.  I have had fewer and fewer instances of my knees feeling like they are going to hyperextend, which I personally find to be awesome, as that buckling feeling made me nervous.  I have done well with the ice and snow here in the Midwest US by just taking it easy.  With temps at -32C or 0 F, I purchased some "runners" leggings, which I wear under my slacks and jeans.  Without them on, both knees get seriously cold.  I was hard finding them in XXL size, but I guess football players wear them too.

I have been thinking about some smaller braces for being outside with softball, but I have not found anything that would prevent reinjury of the patellar tendon.  Lots of braces for ACL and such, but not much for us.  I am not really looking for a workout type brace as I got the ones Dan had suggested for squats and such, but I have that nagging feeling that I need something more.

Well, sorry to be so long winded.  Good healing to all and maybe one of these days we can all meet at some magical medical conference where they are amazed at out injury and recovery.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5184 on: February 01, 2014, 03:27:38 AM »
Tom. Good to see you posting again. Was wandering what had become of you!
  Sounds as if you are making steady progress which at this point is all we can ask. Such gains as we can expect will come from things like your reduction in swelling and improved freedom of movement. Sounds to me as if you are doing very well.
My wife keeps telling me that we all spend so much time on here we should meet somewhere!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Jmac780

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #5185 on: February 02, 2014, 06:40:26 AM »
Hey all hope you had a good January just checking in I'm at 8 1/2 weeks now I've got around 110 degrees flexion. My PT has me on for a home routine doing 2X15min on the bike a day also doing (2x10 squats, 2x10 calf raises, 2x10 lunges, 2x10 straight leg raises, 10 step ups and 10 side step ups) which I do 3 times a day.  I'm wondering how long does it take for the swelling to go down? I'm hoping to start doing a flight of stairs this week.  My PT data in on track now apparently when I started I was behind cuz my OS didn't give enough instruction. She alai said she had someone of similar age with the similar injury last year who was doing crossfit after 12 weeks :O.  Anyways trying to takie it one day at a time.

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #5186 on: February 02, 2014, 12:57:55 PM »
Jmac

Don't rush it.

I am at 20 weeks and still have knobby looking knees.  Swelling is more pronounced the day after a leg workout.  Still get the feeling like I have rubber pads over my knees. 

I have added resistance to my leg exercises in the last month. Now doing all of the following with various amounts of weight:

Squats (Smith Machine) 155 pounds
Leg Presses (with 6 plates at 45 lbs per plate)
Hack Squats
V Squats
Assisted lunges
Leg Curls
Straight Leg Dead Lifts
Weighted Glute Bridges and Hip Thrusters

I definitely feel it a day or two after doing these exercises.  I perform some combination of the above 2 to 3 days per week.

My muscle size is 50% of pre-injury and strength is probably close to 30%.  But that is up from pretty much 0% from a few months ago. 

Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5187 on: February 03, 2014, 05:00:25 PM »
fishy here, week 38 begins.  By combining free weights, weight machines with hydro therapy I get the workout I need without the muscle cramping....also, the hot tub after the hydro is really nice.  Knees are still locking while I first start to walk, but I settle in to a almost normal stride.  This is a process without a destination....hope all my brothers and sisters with RPT are progressing....keep the faith, patience... Bob

Offline dtr42

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #5188 on: February 08, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »
Week 14 begins and hopefully onwards and upwards,wire removed last Wednesday and OS seemed happy with the knee condition and the op ,hopefully the stitches come out next Wednesday . I have reduced my knee bends and exercises to avoid breaking the stitches on the knee however I have noticed that my knee bends are easier and certainly less painful with no rubber band feeling anymore just need to get the quad muscle beefed up but knee feels very stable .I have also noticed my straight leg lifts are very easy with no pain at all at top of patella [maybe wire was holding it causing the band feeling and pain] need to wait for 2 weeks b4 the hydrotherapy starts again due to wounds  but returning back to Gym for upper body work as I have put on 2 stones /11kg since the accident  but hopefully will get back to my normal weight over next few months .So to anyone about to start this journey all I can say as have everyone on this forum patience,listen to your knee ,ask questions and finally be strong

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5189 on: February 10, 2014, 04:35:33 AM »
Starting week 22.  I love my new PT.  Had evaluation last Tuesday and see him again Wednesday.  Doing a lot more stretching trying to loosen up the IT Band and all the other stuff that runs over the lateral femoral condyle.  Still very numb and a little sore in that area with some patella discomfort but nothing too bad.  My PT actually backed me off some exercises he doesn't advise and added a couple different ones.  My knee is taking all I can throw at it now and my PT doesn't think any additional surgery is necessary.  He thinks the swelling will go down and that there isn't much scar tissue based on my flexion, strength and other evaluations.  He is very pleased with where I am and said first PT did a very good job.  But he thinks he can get me back to athletic activity in a few more months.  I'm restricted to closed-chain exercises with no jumping for several more weeks.  Injured thigh is about 70% size of other thigh and strength is improving.
To dtr42 and Jmac, hang in there...you are at critical juncture....remember to be patient.  Good luck to all!
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire