Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249516 times)

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5160 on: January 15, 2014, 06:32:13 PM »
Fishy here, week 35 is turning very interesting, indeed.  I had a back spasm resulting from a overzealous workout at the gym.  I contacted a chiropractor and got a back adjustment (with electrical stimulus) and I am about 90% pain free.  While at the chiropractors we started discussing knee issues...he questioned my gait and after a few balancing tests determined I had....get ready for it ...Proprioception...meaning "ones own", "individual" and perception, and it is the sense of the relative position of neighbouring parts of the body...  my balance has been an issue for the last decade, I eventually gave up flying and sold my plane  :( .  Now that I have bilateral RPT both my quads are shorter....and I walk with locked knees for fear of collapsing, more so when going down stairs.  The solution is a balance cushion and practicing one leg mini squats and yoga.  I'm two days post evaluation so no great break thru but I am persuing this.
Just wanted to pass this along to all my RPTers....if the shoe fits?  Take care my brothers and sister RPTers...   Bob

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #5161 on: January 15, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »
hey jc55 since you had a very similar injury to mine, do you mind posting a picture of your knees next to each other? I am very curious to see how mine look with someone else who had the same kind of tear as I did.

Offline Beasman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #5162 on: January 16, 2014, 03:34:35 AM »
I'm right at the 9 month mark today and I hate to say...still have some issues that have greatly changed my life as it pertains to my mobility and various activities that I once was involved. In particular, early on I had set a goal to run the Boston marathon again this year, but I realized several weeks back that wasn't going to happen. Tom, as you mentioned, I too have problems with jumping or running at any pace. I'm a long way off from ever running a marathon again. Even though I gained all my ROM back fairly early, I do not have anywhere near the strength I once had in my knees. I am scheduled for back surgery(lumbar laminectomy) next month. I feel my pre-existing lower back problem has been worsened my bad knees. You know how they always say "lift with your knees, not your back!" Well, my knees can't lift much since the RPT's so it's strained my back just doing ordinary things since then.     

Bob, I too walk a bit lock-kneed at times for fear of collapse. My surgery left me with very high riding knee caps so they now don't track properly and have become very problematic to my recovery. There is something binding and catching everytime I bend and straighten my knees. In light of that, I've found that hydro-therapy works best for me. My knees still pop and hurt in the water but at least with the buoyancy factor it is less severe and pretty much w/o weight-bearing. I don't know if there is anything that can be done at this point to correct the kneecap height or if I would even want to go there. Meanwhile I keep doing what I can which is in the pool 3 or 4 days a week and I use an exercise bike everyday at home. I have decided to start getting back on my total gym and do the dreaded squats. With the knees binding and popping it hurts so bad at times it brings tears to my eyes. However, I need to gut it out if I'm ever to regain some decent strength back in my knees and quads.

It is quite helpful to me to read about all you other folks who have endured this tough injury. Some of the things suggested have helped me out a good bit and I appreciate that. I wish the best to all of you for a full recovery or as close to it as possible.
04/15/2013 ruptured patella tendons

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5163 on: January 16, 2014, 04:24:43 AM »
4 1/2 months into this recovery.  Got ROM but swelling in lower part of left knee and along femoral condyle seems to be putting pressure on nerve which is causing a little numbness...seems to be worse after workouts.  Insurance changed and haven't seen PT for almost three weeks.  Will go once I get it straightened out.  I love hearing from you all and wish everyone the best.  KING, here is picture of my knees...just for you, lol.
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #5164 on: January 16, 2014, 05:02:07 PM »
JC55, the muscle tone looking great for 4.5 months! I was nowhere near that at that point in my recovery. Thanks for the picture but the reason I asked the photo was so I could see how your kneecaps look. Mine still looks super swollen two years later when my knee is flexed... If it isn't too much to ask could I see a picture with your knees at 90 degrees of flexion?

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5165 on: January 16, 2014, 05:06:32 PM »
Hi Kaddydee

I'm sorry to hear your suffering so much pain.  Yours isn't the first case I've heard of where manipulation led to tendon problems but I think we can only offer limited help here because your problem is more complex than a "simple" ruptured tendon. 

A number of us have found that a good physiotherapist is the key to making progress.  I know nothing about CRPS but if you search for arthrofibrosis you'll find at least one poster who had great success with physiotherapy.  You do need to find someone who is hands on and who really cares about you knee.

I'm afraid that's the only suggestion I can come up with.

Sella
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5166 on: January 16, 2014, 05:13:17 PM »
Great looking legs, Jerry.  You'll have to post a full length photo for the distaff side of the forum  ;D ;D ;D .

Seriously, your scar looks fab and I agree with bball about the muscle tone.  Your knee looks like a knee!  It took me ages to get a knee shaped right knee.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5167 on: January 16, 2014, 06:43:52 PM »
Thanks, Sella...although I had to look up "distaff side"...I appreciate your comments, but as you can see from flexed picture all is not great.  KING, last picture before I start charging, lol.  Sorry for the sock lines.😄.  Anyway, you can see the lateral swelling in flexion that is driving me crazy.  FYI: my left knee is on right of photo.  I'm seeing another OS that specializes in getting athletes back into action.  My other OS was great, but he's more of a knee replacement surgeon.  Also, my new PT is affiliated with the new OS and his set-up and clientele is a younger athletic crowd.  I'm desperate to start running again...but I know I have to be patient.  I'll let you know how it goes!  Peace to all.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:49:54 PM by JC55 »
Jerry, Kentucky, USA

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5168 on: January 16, 2014, 07:24:50 PM »
Hi Sella ( C'est la Guerre) guess it takes a Lady to get Jerry's attention!
 Jerry, I think you'll find your new team a whole lot better; they seem to mirror mine, but I'm afraid running may still be a stretch for a while. When I try to run the pounding is really hard to take so I am going to have to start from square 1 in the spring with a gradual progression from walk to jog to trot to run. Good luck and keep your goals in mind.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #5169 on: January 17, 2014, 02:41:17 PM »
I started squatting again last few times at the gym. 

Using a Smith Machine and doing "bench" squats.  Descend to sitting on bench, pause, and then stand.

Started with just using barbell and last time was up to an additional 50 pounds (two 25 lb plates).  I go for 20 reps per set.  Will try to add 20 pounds now each time I do these.  I try to do them as often as every other day.

Make sure your knees track your middle toes as your knees jut out and in.  Watch especially that the knees do not come together as you do squats.  Another idea that helps is think as though you are trying to spread the floor with your feet as you go up and down,
Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5170 on: January 18, 2014, 03:51:51 PM »
Hi Rosbif 

9 years eh and I am 10 years on, and still suffer a little, but have to put up with slight inconveniences.

Wearing a full lenght compression stocking, which is super and gives the knee additional strenght.

Keep in touch

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5171 on: January 24, 2014, 02:25:44 AM »
Hey All, Board's been quiet.  I have a couple questions:
1. Anyone having issues with numbness?...my numb area seems to have gotten a little bigger as well as some presentation of an achy pain deep down.
2. I have some weakness as I hold out my leg and straighten it...feels like a tendinitis pain but it is on ky present at a certain angle.

Quick note: I jogged for a little, if you can call it that!  Lasted a quarter mile and decided to ramp up slowly.  Felt good to stretch my stride.

Hope all are well and continuing the path of recovery! 
Jerry, Kentucky, USA

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #5172 on: January 24, 2014, 11:48:05 AM »
I think one of the challenges most of you have is a good knee/leg for comparison.  Since I did it to both, it is harder to tell. 

I can relate to numbness, just can't say it is more.  Has not improved.  I am more troubled by the weakness and general feeling of "disconnect" between my upper and lower legs.  Troubled May be a strong word, certainly better and farther along than 4 1/2 months ago (have to keep reminding myself of that).

In a little more pain last couple of days.  I think it is due to work and not getting to the gym.  When I get to the gym (which should happen the next three days) it is like I took my knees in for a lube job.  They flow nice and free.  I feel almost normal again.  I drive a lot in my line of work, with prolonged periods of sitting behind the wheel.  Sometimes I don't have the energy or time for the gym during the week, but make up for it on the weekends. 

Played golf with a client on Tuesday afternoon.  Played 15 holes and let client finish out 18.  Played well, but knees are a little more out of sorts even today (Friday).  I think the twisting and movement in golf stirs up (and hopefully breaks up) so e of the scar tissue.  I get that feeling again of "rubber pads" over the knees after playing golf (more pronounced).

JC,

Great to see on the jogging.  I currently power walk (not sure "power" is appropriate) on the treadmill and have often felt I could move up to a light jog.  Maybe I will try soon.  I can relate to the tendinitis pain.  Sometimes feel it in the tendon and sometimes my pain is more on the sides of the knees.  I keep reminding myself that pain is the trigger for body healing, and maybe whatever area is hurting just needs some more attention at the moment.  If it keeps up for yuk, I would back off the jogging in case that is contributing. 

Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline dtr42

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #5173 on: January 25, 2014, 07:48:14 PM »
Hi guys and gals . Well its week 11.5 and time for an update , hydro therapy has got my knee bend to 105 degree passive and if pushed/helped by physio it gets to 115 degrees ,he wants 120-130 on next visit on Monday. Have tried the exercise  bike and have found it pretty hard can get 3-4 mins and then my knee goes rubber band and I have to stop. Walking on treadmill is good not jogging but fast pace 4mph at a 15 degree angle for 20 mins with no pain or looseness .swimming is my pleasure exercise with a 1km swim and stretching exercises in the jacuzzi pool [much to the other people's annoyance ::)] and a sauna to finish 5 days a week as I am still off work as they need me to drive . I see my surgeon on Tuesday ,12 week checkup ,hopefully he will allow me to start driving again as I can bend and have enough strength and speed for an emergency stop.I am also waiting for the wire to be removed as its still not done .Has anyone had wire removed [figure 8 one] is it a local or general operation? How long is recovery from second op? and finally I have learned patience ,as everyone has said its small steps and little wins

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5174 on: January 26, 2014, 12:09:53 AM »
Hi Dtr42, Fishy here.  Week 12 is when everything seems to start going....your ligaments are mostly healed and your braces are removed.  ROM and strength moves will occupy most of your recovery. Now is the time to listen to your body....if you want to lift a weight and your quad says no....the answer then is no....I know because I pushed thru the pain and regretted it for a week after....(the gym is my haven).  When you read the postings on this website you will see the full range of recovery....I was a marathoner so I know the value of pacing myself.... I hope you do the same and use this time for discovery as well as recovery.... its an amazing ride if you open your eyes to the possibilities.   And to all my other RPTers, stay strong and patience.....

support