Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249503 times)

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5130 on: December 31, 2013, 03:29:42 AM »
16 weeks post-op today!  I'm feeling it tonight...really over did it at gym today with leg extensions.  At the time it was feeling great, almost strong.  I was walking like I remember before accident.  Probably did two sets too many but it just felt so good like it use to.  Couple ibuprofen and I feel better, but still a little achy.  PT tomorrow morning then giving myself a few days rest.  Note: I've been drinking a protein shake after exercise (like I use to) and it does seem to help muscles.  Anyway, just adding that for what it's worth, I'm not a body builder or anything but does seem to help recovery after exercise.  (I like the chocolate powder mix called  UMP, I mix it with 1% milk).   Hope everyone has a happy new year and here's to better times ahead...Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:36:10 AM by JC55 »
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5131 on: December 31, 2013, 08:02:17 AM »
Hi Folks

Wishing all my RPT friends worldwide, best wishes for 2014, a speedy recovery to full health,  pain free,
but remember he magic word   PATIENCE

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5132 on: January 01, 2014, 10:04:33 PM »
Hi everyone and Happy. New Year!! If your a RPTer your knee didn't magically heal....it didn't fall off or auto explode that's good.... so jusr enjoy the ride and 2014 will be your yearr of recovery....mine also!

Offline Jmac780

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #5133 on: January 02, 2014, 02:00:31 AM »
Hey there all been trying to read up on this thread a bit.  Tore my left patellar tendon dancing 5 weeks ago dancing of all things Im in fairly good shape 30 Yo. I've been walking a lot with a my splint weight-bearing.  My 6 week appointment is next week then I start physio apparently. My surgeon told me I'm allowed to bend my knee minorly heel on the floor and that's it.  I've been able to get it to 45 on my own before it starts getting tight.  I was just hoping to get some advice on if I should be doing anything else,  I can't do leg raises at all.  I'm hoping to get back to work by February or early February work in healthcare so would be on my feet.  Is that realistic any advice would be appreciated.

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5134 on: January 02, 2014, 04:25:11 AM »
Welcome Jmac, you'll be hearing from john42, he's the moderator and will have lots of info for you.  For my part, I can advise only from my experience that working by February may be possible but would be very difficult to impossible to be on feet ALL day.  As far as exercises, you need to ask OS if you are allowed to do Quad Sets...that's where you have leg straight and tighten your quads to drive knee down.  This strengthens your muscles around the knee.  This is usually first exercise allowed but ASK your OS first.  My other advice is to listen to your knee and ask lots of questions if you need further explanation...take charge of your recovery!  I wish you luck in your recovery and try to remember when things get difficult that you will get better...but it can be a long process, so PATIENCE is our key word!
Jerry, Kentucky, USA

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5135 on: January 02, 2014, 07:45:25 AM »
Welcome to Jmac

You have found the right thread to learn a great deal about the serious injury that you have sustained.

A very long rehab is in front of you and sorry say that an early return to dancing will be out of the question as you will be on crutches for quite some time as it takes about 10/12 weeks for your tendon to heal properly.

Read some of the previous posts on this thread, and click on the undermentioned link, as you will be able to read a number of documents which explains your injury and the rehab process.

Where do you live??   Keep on posting ASK QUESTIONS - REMEMBER  ""PATIENCE"" is required.

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Jmac780

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5136 on: January 02, 2014, 04:31:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice yeah I don't think I'll be dancing till the summer. Work tho I was hoping to get to get back to by mid February not sure if that's possible. Luckily I have up to 4 months of short term disability but hoping to be back before that. This thread has been really informative so far,  looking forward to seeing my OS next week and really starting recovery. I'm from Alberta in Canada.

Offline Jmac780

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5137 on: January 03, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »
One other question I know taking more protein will most likely help when I'm in physio to help build muscle is there things to take to promote tendon healing?

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #5138 on: January 03, 2014, 09:51:06 PM »
JMAC
go to truenutrition.com

Search on the following: Cissus

You can also pick up high quality Whey Protein for a good price on this site.

Add one teaspoon of Cissus to your protein powder.  Take from 2 to 5 grams per day. 

You can google Cissus and read some of the studies re: tendon and bone healing.  It also is proven to increase Testosterone in males when taking higher dosages (around 5 grams per day). 

Start lower and build serving size over time. 

Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #5139 on: January 04, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »
See this link for more info re: Cissus and improved tendon recovery.

http://cissus.org/cissus-and-muscle-tendon-ligament-repair/

Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5140 on: January 05, 2014, 11:43:05 PM »
Happy New Year everyone!

Today is the 6 month anniversary of my surgery and I spent the afternoon in hospital - visiting my brand new baby grandson who was born late last night.

I have a visit to my NHS physiotherapist later this week and we expect this to be my last.  At my most recent private physio appointment, before Christmas, the therapist told me that I was about a month ahead of her previous RPT patient who was a few years younger than me.  Some weeks earlier she told me I had been making similar progress so I was pleased to hear that I'd achieved so much.

My "at home" physio sessions have rather fallen by the wayside over Christmas and New Year but we have entertained quite a lot so I've been on my feet and moving about.

I'm walking about with much greater confidence.  I don't use my stick anymore.  I can go upstairs normally unless I'm fatigued.  I look rather ungainly coming downstairs.  I can kneel down on a cushion and my ROM is about as good on my injured leg as it is on my good leg.  ROM wise I can do whatever I want to without thinking about it.

I still need to work on strength in my injured leg, and stamina, but I'm seeing small improvements week on week.

I'm a lot further on than I expected to be at 6 months, particularly in terms of function.

I've done this with the help of this board, an outstanding physiotherapist, a Swiss ball, some therabands, a little knowledge of Pilates, and my trusty exercise bike, plus just going about my day to day activities.  I haven't gone to a gym or a swimming pool, though I would like to go to a pool.

If I can do it, so can you.  I had to wait 31/2 weeks for my surgery, so I got off to a bad start and I had terrible muscle atrophy.  Without this board I wouldn't have known what was possible and I hope my story will encourage other people.

Thanks everyone, Sella.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #5141 on: January 06, 2014, 12:15:07 AM »
Nice one Sella, really happy to read the progress you have made. It sounds like youre now into the tweaking phase, getting everything else sorted like strength and descending.

Frank
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5142 on: January 06, 2014, 01:50:50 AM »
Happy New Year Sella. Was beginning to worry after almost a Month's  absence.
  Good to hear you seem to be as Frank says " in the tweaking phase ". My I-pad shows this in really small print so I read that initially as " twerking ", really caused me to do a double take!
 As the only distaff member currently active on this board I am sure you will be an inspiration to any other Lady joining our "Club". Keep up the good work!

Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5143 on: January 06, 2014, 03:33:19 AM »
HNY Sella...congrats on grandson!  I'm so happy to hear about your progress...you are an inspiration.  I will be 17 weeks post-op tomorrow.  Feeling good but still have swelling and "thickness" on lower lateral part of knee.  My wife says it's getting better and she may be right since she doesn't look at it everyday.  I, on the other hand, am a bit obsessed about it and am worried that I'll need some scar tissue debridement in a few months.  PT says to cross that bridge when we get to it and to focus on strengthening.  Gym exercises have been going well...I've increased the weight gradually and my knee is responding well.  Hope everyone keeps their head up, their outlook positive and their mind peaceful.  PS: next two days are going to be COLD here in Kentucky.  0 - 4 degrees with wind chills in -20 or lower. 
Jerry, Kentucky, USA

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5144 on: January 06, 2014, 08:12:49 AM »
Hi Sella

DELIGHTED - patience pays off - a few more months and you will be good as new.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon