Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249612 times)

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5115 on: December 12, 2013, 01:08:22 AM »
Hey Vonlehmd,
  Yeah, week 12 is a pivotal week in recovery for us all.  Glad your ROM is improving.  Swimming is the best!  Water aerobics are the best of the best...great support with resistance....give it a try.  Bob

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #5116 on: December 20, 2013, 03:25:43 PM »
14 weeks post op today.

Have been on the road (in hotels) since Sunday night.  Co-Sponsoring a golf outing in Orlando today (a nice Ritz course).  Welcomed players and then watched them go off to a shotgu start.  Not easy, but not quite ready to play full round yet.

Practiced putting and hit a few pitching wedge shots.  No pain, just restricted on the follow through.  Able to make decent contact, but won't take out the driver for a couple months. 

Held up pretty well with driving and appointments all day, and ending in a hotel at night.  Tried to get some rehab in at hotel gyms/pools.  All in all went well.

Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #5117 on: December 20, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »
Hey all, just wanted to give a little update and send out some Merry/Happy Christmas and Best Wishes for the New Year to everyone on the board.  I hope everyone continues on the road to recovery, knowing that everyone has the potential to do so.

It has been exactly 20 weeks (5 months) since that fateful day in July.  I have completed PT at this time as the insurance had paid for 13 weeks of it and I guess they thought I did not need more.  Tried to get an extension, but with kids and the holidays, I am happier paying for gifts than PT.  I am still doing stretching exercises and light walking (when there is no snow or ice on the ground) outside.  I tried to take a jogging step and that was not a pretty sight.  A little shutter and quiver in the legs and I had decided I had enough.  Spring softball coaching will be here in a few months, so working in the gym is my solution to getting back into shape.

I had not posted in a little while and wanted everyone to know I had not fallen (literally or figuratively) off the face of the earth.  Best wishes and good luck and I will continue to read posts.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5118 on: December 22, 2013, 09:02:08 PM »
I have been in the gym a good bit this last week. 

One exercise that is really helping is the Row Machine.  The one where the seat glides back and forth, and you hold a handle attached to a rope and a resistance fan.

It incorporate "heel slides" which seems to be helping my ROM.  Give it a try.  I am 14 weeks post op.

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5119 on: December 22, 2013, 09:37:02 PM »
Dan. Rowing is a good all round exercise , similar to the leg press shuttle that is the staple of my Physio although the shuttle has the benefit of being able to focus on the injured leg. For those of us fortunate enough to have a single rupture!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5120 on: December 24, 2013, 10:28:14 AM »
Festive greetings to all my RPT friends world wide - hope that you are recovering well
and reminding you PATIENCE is the key word

Keep posting

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline dtr42

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #5121 on: December 24, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
Hi all .
My name is Dave and I have joined the RPT club .It was 7 weeks ago after falling off a hill and as the Surgeon said making the tendon into a pile of spaghetti .I had surgery 1 day after knee injury after being lifted off hill by mountain rescue.OS removed leg brace week 6 after being locked in for those 42 days ,it was like an escape from jail.Physio starts 6th January at hospital [nhs uk] OS said I should do as much walking and bending as I feel comfortable with. I have been doing between 2-3 miles a day with no brace and no crutch,icing and rest after the walks .my knee bends about 40-50 degrees , however my quad lift is very poor but I can manage it ,its better while in the bath [think water is supporting it] but lying or sitting in chair it just don't move properly .This forum is a god send as trying to get info from Nhs is sketchy at best . I have the wire loop and I was told by Surgeon it would be removed 3 month after surgery due to possible infection risk however last week OS decided it would be another 3 months before he removes it along with the screws in the patella ,however he did say the wires in the tendon would be left in . The swelling has reduced but very slowly .hopefully will be back working in 5 months as I am a driver and also use mechanical excavators etc in my work but that may be a bit hopeful.had planned to climb Ben Nevis in June on my 50th doing it by CMD arrette [google itif intrested in the route] so that is my goal. 

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5122 on: December 24, 2013, 02:43:17 PM »
Hi Dave

WElcome to the exclusive RPT club !!! 

You will have realised by now, that you have sustained a very serious injury with a long rehab required. I would suggest that you read as many of the previous posts on this thread and make a list of points to discuss with your physio

PATIENCE is required - listen to your knee - ask your physio if he/she has seen this type of rare injury before - also suggest that you try and obtain a car blue badge - useful for the first few months.  Also suggest that you click and read the undermentioned thread - this contains a series of documents whI have collated together with KneeGuru - ASK QUESTIONS - watch out for wet roads and snow conditions.

Where do you live?

Keep posting

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5123 on: December 24, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »
Hello Dave,

Wow.  2-3 miles of walking per day is impressive at your stage of 7 weeks.  Just walking seems to have helped me most, and I have tried various other forms of movement, resistance exercises, stretching, etc. 

Keep working on the straight leg raises (SLRs).  The progression, as you likely know, is as follows:

While lying or in water (easiest)
Sitting up (in chair or propping body up with arms)
Lying with ankle weights added for resistance
Sitting up with ankle weights added for resistance.

Just sitting up makes them harder to perform as you take other muscles (core muscles) out of the equation (which assist the move when lying down).

It has been 3 1/2 months since I sustained my injury.  Still a long way to go, but have learned a lot along the way about myself (physically, mentally and spiritually).  I guess it is all in how you look at it that determines what you get out of it.

Best to you and your recovery.

Dan

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline dtr42

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #5124 on: December 24, 2013, 04:20:35 PM »
thanks for welcome .I'm from Glasgow,Scotland .I realised it was serious injury at hospital when a physio nurse saw me as there was a long delay in A&E and she told me what the injury was before xray had even been taken as she had seen about 6-7 in her 5 years there.Doctor eventually came  and confirmed what the nurse had guessed. I guess I was lucky tbh as it was only the patella tendon and not the full monty that some people on this site have had . Dan the SLR'S are very hard at the moment but  I can raise it for 1-2 seconds at moment about 1" off the settee . I was/am a hillwalker I was doing between 20-30 miles a weekend on the hills before the accident so my leg muscles were quite strong  but the right leg quad has lost a lot of stability and muscle tone however hard work, ice and painkillers may help me on the road to recovery . Again thanks for welcome John42 I will start to read through the forum [all 342 pages of it  :D]as at the moment I'm a man of leisure. Merry Xmas and a happy and healthy New Year

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5125 on: December 24, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »
Hi Dave

There have been about 2 or 3 with RPT injuries in Glasgow and the highlands over the past few years - I hope they pick up your thread

Best

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5126 on: December 24, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »
Hey Dtr42, welcome to the club.  I read with amusement when you called yourself a "man of leisure"... and you walk long distances.  Now you can be rich (man of leisure?) but now you are a man on a mission....recovery is kinda all consuming, so now you are a man of leisure on a mission.... Welcome to the club of RPT's.  Patience is our montra, you will benefit from the collective knowledge found on this site (as I do), and by posting your journey you will add to the base....bob

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5127 on: December 25, 2013, 04:59:45 AM »
Dave, welcome.  Patience is key and listen to knee.  Also, take charge of your recovery and ask OS and PT lots of questions!  Quick update.  I was 15 weeks post-op yesterday.  I have worked hard and have obtained full ROM (155 degrees like good knee).  There is some patella popping at times but MRI showed crepitus under patella which explains it.  I have some in good leg but hope injured leg will improve as muscles/stability return.  There is quite a bit of scar tissue on lateral side of knee with a pocket of swelling around femoral condyle and stretching to patella tendon (there maybe a future surgery to alleviate this if doesn't improve in 8 months or so).  OS said lateral retinaculum is probably a little thicker.  I do not have much pain, just stiffness after PT session and some in morning.  Most of PT session is strength building: leg press, backward walk on treadmill, leg extension (can only lift 10 lbs...still very weak as this was last exercise begun due to conservative OS), stair climbing, elliptical, leg curls, shuffle with leg band tied around ankles, etc.  Get a good sweat going at times and finish with ice. 
Hope everyone has a merry Christmas and happy holiday season.  My wish for everyone on this board is full recovery and a healthy New Year filled with joy...we deserve it!  Bless you all and keep your spirits up.
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5128 on: December 30, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »
Week 32 begins....I actually ran, full stride and it was wonderful....oh, did I mention that I was in water at the time?  LOL, hydrotherapy is great.  I also did a full stretch heel to butt...or as close as I could (2 inches).  The stretching was interesting cuz I held it for a few minutes each leg....great results without pain, just relaxed.  Stairs are still a challenge but I take them one at a time one foot on each step SLOWLY holding handrail.  Stay strong my brothers and sister RPTers...and patient!  Bob

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5129 on: December 31, 2013, 02:01:59 AM »
I will be 16 weeks this Friday.  Half of your term, Fishy.  I feel a bit "stalled" at the moment.  Getting in the gym.  Doing the exercises.  But figured I would be further along at this point.

Knees are just " weak" and stiff most of the time.  I am used to a feeling of "progression" from workouts in the gym and I just don't sense the progression with my knees after this injury.  Being bilateral, like you, may slow things.   But I thought it would be getting easier by now. 

Very "achy" at night.  Seems the weakness and stiffness is more pronounced later in the day.  Nothing different than reported by most on this site. 

Just a little venting.  Hope you all don't mind. 
Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

support