Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1274808 times)

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5100 on: December 03, 2013, 04:08:03 AM »
Stuart, I do two different balancing exercises at PT (balancing on bad leg while throwing and catching ball; balancing on elevated disc). Also, I do believe a RPT is so very different than a RQT and that they aren't really comparable.  Both very serious but I'm guessing mechanically different??? 
VonMD, I do a lot of similar PT that you are doing.  SLR and hip abduction with 5 lbs, standing leg curls with 6 lbs, calf stretch, hamstring stretch, CC (closed chain) with 30 lbs, leg press with 40 lbs, 5 minutes bike, 5 minutes walking backward on treadmill, toe raises, squats, balancing exercises mentioned above and ice. 
I think maybe I don't need stretching because I really spent a lot of time massaging knee and surrounding area as well as slowly improving ROM. 
Tom, girls' HS basketball started tonight with a tough loss 88-81.  Proud of my team since we do not have any seniors...preseason rank is 13th in KY but we should move up quickly.  It's going to be a fun season!
Goodnight, I'll let you all know how OS appt goes tomorrow.😀
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5101 on: December 03, 2013, 04:24:04 AM »
Fishy here...week 27 starts and I am finding it easier to walk pain free.  I climb and descend stairs normally but slow and steady holding the handrail.  Confidence building, walking on icy sidewalks that Alaska is famous for,  shopping in malls,  its all good.  Balance is returning, jumping is doable (more like a bunny hop) .  Walking seems to be the predominent exercise and life is beginning to return to normal.  To all my brother's and sister's in this club stay well....

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #5102 on: December 03, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »
Dan, you do a lot of exercising.  But I am sure it will pay off in the end.  My PT has not done much in terms of increasing strength per say, but with the seated leg press I have increased the weight.  The massaging of the knee camp is a must I think.  If I do not do the moving of the knee cap, on not PT days, I can feel the difference.  I tried to do squats the other day without moving the knee caps first and there was lots of clicking and popping.  And Dan, since we did rupture both knees, we seriously do not have a good leg to stand on.  I feel like I am bracing myself with one leg when the other leg is weak and vice versa.  We are definitely worse off than a single, but just because we cant use the good leg

Speaking of knee noises, I seem to hear a lot of popping.  My PT and OS said that as the VMOs get stronger, they will pull on the tendons and knee caps and the tracking will improve as I am still having a lot of pain on the outer parts of the knee.  I am thinking the bony process of the femur and the loss of muscle tone have something to do with it.

Fishy, I am glad to hear that walking and steps get better.  Can not say I will be doing much jumping, just want to be able to play catch with the girls and swing the bat to hit some softballs.

Well, that is about all from the middle of America.  Snow possibly on Thursday/Friday, so we will see how it goes.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #5103 on: December 03, 2013, 11:51:30 PM »
You're right Tom.  I have been a bit of a gym rat most of my life (I am 45 now), and can't wait to get back to a more intense schedule.  I also can't wait to Squat again with some serious weight on my back.  Prior to my injury, I was lifting over 400 lbs for 5 to 7 reps (full squats).  I often used the Smith machine, to maintain a more upright form (which takes a little away from this weight).

Speaking of squats, I just returned from our community pool, which has stairs with a rail (and is heated, which is needed even in Florida these days).  I practiced walking up and down the stairs and also did several sets of bodyweight squats on different steps.  The further up the steps (and therefore the further OUT OF THE WATER) you are, the harder the reps become (as you add more of your body weight to the equation).  Great way to EASE back into squats which is THE BEST exercise to strengthen your QUADS and HAMSTRINGS.  Start at the LOWEST step (with more of your body in the water) and move to a higher step as you build strength (in the same session or in a few days / weeks as you build it up).

Obviously Tom is 2 months along and can do squats with resistance, but I am just starting my therapy, so will build it back slowly. 

Also did some running in the shallow end, treading water, and some easy breath strokes with slight kicking. 

PT session tomorrow morning so I may be hurting more than usual.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:55:37 PM by vonlehmd »
Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5104 on: December 04, 2013, 04:05:58 AM »
Quick update.  Got MRI results and nothing new except showed a little arthritis under kneecap and a slight tear in medial ( inside part of knee) meniscus.  And of course it showed edema from injury...but nothing wrong.  OS says that's the price of being an athlete your whole life (I'm 50) and said the repair looks great and gave PT the green light with no restrictions.  He also told me to throw the brace away! 
PT session was good.  Added more strength exercises and finally started doing extensions...VMO and other muscles in that group are pretty weak.  ROM was terrific and the PT didn't even bother stretching me...she said my only focus should be on building strength! 
To all: keep it up...we will get there!  Stay strong!
Jerry, Kentucky, USA

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5105 on: December 04, 2013, 05:23:33 PM »
Will be 12 weeks post op Friday.

Good PT session this AM.  Increased weight/reps/sets on most exercises.  Aggressive and painful stretching by PT (ouch) but ROM is increasing.  From 90 to 107 degrees on left leg and from 107 to 123 degrees on right leg.  This is over two weeks time.  So seems like good progress.

Knees are starting to look a little less puffy, but RUBBER PADS are still there. 

Still sleep with pillow under knees and heels (on back) at night.  Having both knees out still makes it hard for side sleeping and sleeping on stomach (which I like to do) still too uncomfortable on knees.

I hope to start driving next week and am planning to travel out of town next week (spending 5 nights in a hotel).  I cover part of Florida as a "wholesaler" for a major insurance company and have to start visiting my clients again (Investment Representatives).  Looking forward to getting back to my normal routine and not sure how I will handle sitting for driving (3 to 4 hours at a time).   Will probably request handicap rooms at hotels (just in case).

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5106 on: December 04, 2013, 08:08:15 PM »
Dan. Depressing to think I'm old enough to be your Father! In my late fifties I used to enjoy going to the gym and asking the young guys if I could work in with them on the leg press machine at 540lbs . When they (reluctantly) assented I would, contrary to their expectations, add another 90lbs before doing 10 quick reps and leaving them, usually with their mouths hanging open. Ironically I set my limit at630 lbs 'cos I would feel the stress in my quad tendons rather than the muscles. This might have induced the micro-tears that my OS thinks preceded the rupture .the moral is , as you get older don't try to maintain the regimen of your youth!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5107 on: December 04, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »
Good advice Stuart. My Physical Therapist said almost the same to me today re:squats. 

I think I will stick with 20 reps per set with light weight if I ever even get back to it in a serious way. 

The 5 X 5 heavy sets should be a thing of the past. 

I can at least enjoy watching my two sons (ages 21 and 16) tackle the heavy sets in that I have raised them to love working out with weights as well.  My 21 year old is a certified Personal Trainer and working on a Business degree at FAU in Boca Raton, FL.

Most of my gym habit has been a reason to spend quality time with my boys anyway.  Just need to stop trying to keep up with or beat them.  It's in their blood already..

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5108 on: December 07, 2013, 07:02:08 PM »
Winter is officially here.  Snow and ice yesterday...didn't want to get out in it but wife is working this weekend and driveway had to be shoveled.  I put my brace on just in case and let salt treatments do most of work on driveway.  However, my drive is 300 feet long so probably spent four hours off and on outside.  Needless to say, I was sore and there was no PT for me last night.  Hot shower, bourbon and put the legs up...whew!
Leg feels good but a little tightness in joint this morning.  Oh, I forgot to mention, at last PT session I asked PT about "rolling" the muscles...she said I'll show you what that is.  She retrieved a 3 foot long about 5 inches in diameter hard styrofoam roller.  My IT band is tight so she said let's roll that.  Felt great at first but after zeroing in on knot with a lot of pressure, it quickly became torture.  I've learned my lesson...lol...keep mouth shut!
Hope all are well and doing their PT.  To my mid-America brothers, stay warm and safe.
Jerry, Kentucky, USA

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5109 on: December 07, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »
Good stuff Jerry.

Single Malt Scotch for me (GlenLivet Nadura is my favorite).  Also watching football this afternoon and evening (Big Ten Championship- go Ohio State Buckeyes) will be good therapy.

I have used foam rollers for years.  I have a version called a Rumble Roller, that is as hard as a rock and has knobs on it.  Haven't touched it since before my injury.  Foam rolling really works wonders for the IT band.  I will start at it again soon with a softer version.  I used to use one before every workout to loosen things up.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 07:46:33 PM by vonlehmd »
Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5110 on: December 07, 2013, 09:32:36 PM »
Everyone should google "Henry Josey Injury" and look at his injury and 17 month rehab.  He plays college football as a running back for the Missouri Tigers.  Cited as one of the worst knee injuries ever suffered in college American football.  He tore apart every tendon and ligament in his left knee.  His patellar tendon was a midpoint tear.  After a 17 month rehab, he is one of the best running backs in college football, taking his team to the SEC championship which is happening right now.

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5111 on: December 07, 2013, 09:51:13 PM »
As a follow up to my last post, everyone in the RPT club should go to YouTube and do a search for the following video:

Henry Josey Remade

A nice video that shows us what is possible with a little hard work and faith.  Thankfully, we don't need to get to this level of condition (most of us) but it is nice to know it is achievable.  Brings back a lot of painful memories.

My holiday gift to all who visit this site is letting you know about the video above.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 09:52:51 PM by vonlehmd »
Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #5112 on: December 09, 2013, 05:45:05 AM »
What an inspirational story. I can relate to it even more because the car they showed in the beginning looked like the one I was in leading to my knee injuries. Not to mention a horrible PT after a successful ER surgery for next 10 weeks who did not work on passive extension at all and my knee feels super stiff at times when I try to stand on my bad leg.... I am hoping I dont need more surgery to get some hyperextension as I am only missing a couple of degrees. After reading more about Henry Josey I found an article where his therapist made him do a lot of prone hangs while trying to straighten his leg. Mine never did any of this! Mine never even propped my leg up on a towel and instead had me do short arc quads week 3 and bend as tolerated like an idiot after ignoring the doctor's PT script. I really hope I could still get to a 100% like Henry. I have been doing a lot of hamstring stretches and I am feeling my passive extension improve 19 months later. Had the pt focused on it initially i would have easily gotten it back since my flexion came back super easy (110 by 6 weeks)....

I also googled his knee lol and saw that even his knee looks puffy and swollen like the rest of ours. I hope all you guys are doing well!

JC55, did you ever get to notice your patella height? Or am I the only oddball with a slightly higher kneecap. Wonder if PT's aggressive bending lead to that....

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5113 on: December 10, 2013, 03:25:45 AM »
13 weeks post-op today.  Little things I took for granted are returning.  Showered for first time standing up except when cleaning bottom of feet.  11 weeks ago I would have given away my house to feel like I do now.  I know I have a long way to go but will get there little by little.  ROM is excellent, pain is very tolerable but gets stiff at times.  I've noticed it takes less time to get joint loose.  Still have swelling but can tell leg getting stronger...PT has me bending knee slightly and tightening my quads while balancing on one leg.  Very nervous at first but getting easier.  However, still weak!
KING, kneecap height appears same...however, OS says that this I can't be measured til all knee muscles are strong.  It affects alignment, etc.  I do have slight pop when bending knee from locked extension, but this may lessen as strength returns. 
Overall, I'm pleased but I think I won't feel completely healed until I can go up and down stairs normally.  I know this takes times and I'll try very hard to remember my first posts about "patience".  Actually, I find it a source of encouragement to go back and read my posts from the beginning.  It makes me realize just how far I've come and to be thankful.  To all my RPT friends...keep your spirits up and bless you all!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:28:47 AM by JC55 »
Jerry, Kentucky, USA

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5114 on: December 10, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »
I am 12 weeks post op (13 weeks this coming Friday).

Good news for me today from my Ortho.  Released me.  No need to go back to see him.

I will continue with my Physical Therapy, however. 

Good to get the official OK for driving etc. 

Still lagging with ROM on my left leg (at 107 degrees).  My right leg is now at 130 degrees. 

Seems swimming is helping with ROM.  I have been treading water and doing a side crawl with a scissors kick.  Also doing hte bodyweight squats on different steps (moving up out of water to add resistance as I go). 

Long way to go, but nice to get the confidence from doctor that he doesn't need to see me any longer.

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

support