Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1259561 times)

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5085 on: November 26, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »
Hey Dan, thanks for the posting.  Congrats on PT, and yes there is a whole bunch of thoughts on what to expect.  First and foremost, ask questions of your PT staff and question, question,  and more question.  I had my PT at the VA in Anchorage and every session ended with a wicked muscle roller device that, when applied, would literally hop over my lumpy quads causing me to crawl up the wall with pain.  Every PT session ended with 15-20 minutes with a huge ice pad.  Make sure you ask your PT staff if they have experience with this type of injury....and patience....you are on a journey and you will recover.   Hope everyone is doing well and have a wonderful Thanksgiving...

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5086 on: November 26, 2013, 08:09:28 PM »
Dan, I can only go on my own experience, for what it's worth.  Last weekend I decided to give my knee a rest.  I'm functioning fairly well on a day to day basis but I was getting tired, so I skipped my at home exercise session on Saturday morning.  My knee has felt so much more comfortable and this morning I was back into my usual routine of an hour and a half of exercises, which I do about three times a week, interspersed with shorter bursts on the floor pedaller or Swiss ball or just walking around.

My husband has been telling me for some time that muscles need a chance to recover and repair but I was anxious to move forward.  My advice would be to give your legs a rest for a day or two and let repair take place.  You'll then go forward more strongly.  I think we all need to find a balance.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #5087 on: November 28, 2013, 03:15:08 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving to all members of our exclusive club.

Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5088 on: November 28, 2013, 04:07:26 PM »
Hey All,
Started two a week PT sessions and have some swelling for a few hours afterward.  Ice, rest and elevation helps me.  I definitely think a day or two of rest is beneficial...remember, the area you are working on is injured so needs more recovery time as it is strengthened (in my opinion).  Had MRI done this past Monday to get to bottom of the swelling/ache in my lower outside part of knee.  I have appt with OS this Tuesday and am anxious to get results.  Overall, knee feels OK but does feel tight in morning.  I think this is to be expected but I sure am looking forward to the day when I get to my goal of 90% of my good knee.  OS wants me to focus on muscles now instead of ROM...he thinks I'm at point where strength conditioning will help swelling and improve my mental well-being, LOL. 
Good to hear from you all and I'm thinking of you on this day of thanks here in the states.  I appreciate all your input and together we will get better...eventually.  Peace!
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5089 on: November 28, 2013, 04:30:27 PM »
Jerry,

I can relate to your report.  I went through a more extensive PT session on Monday, including strength exercises.  Today, 3 days later, I am just starting to fell better in terms of knee soreness and tightness.  I am used to pain after workouts (muscle) but this is different.  I guess I just have to expect pain, weakness, extra tightness for 2-3 days after more intense sessions.  The positive side is that today I also feel stronger and more fluid with my walking (gait) than a few days ago (before the more intense session).  So there is a payoff after enduring a few days after the onslaught. 

My PHysical Therapist seems to be more concerned with the reverse of your assessment.  He wants more ROM and says we can always get the strength and muscle later.  I am around 100 on my left and 115 on my right leg.  It seems that one follows the other when reading past posts. Most seem to follow your protocol with better strength leading to more ROM.  Who knows which comes first (is better).

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5090 on: November 28, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »
Hey Vonlehmd and all the other members of this exclusive club.  I am at week 25+ and had a total of 8 PT sessions at the VA.  The major concern with my doc and PT staff was ROM combined with working the quads until tears and sweat poured off.  By week 15 or there abouts I really started to get my strength back....my ROM is 130 left, 135 right (last time measured), and I can now sit and stand without assistance (use of arms), kneeling is still a problem, stairs are less intimidating and my outlook in general is better.  BUT I still am recovering, still fixating on falling, and the ice laden streets pose problems...but it is getting better.  My sleep has been mostly uninterrupted but on the occasions where I wake up because of a twinge an advilPM puts me out.  Take care all, happy Thanksgiving to all, and keep up the good work!!

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5091 on: November 28, 2013, 08:38:18 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving to my American Neighbours. As I stated on the RQT thread we really do have a lot to be thankful for!
Fishy. Not sure I buy the "no pain no gain" theory. My PT made me sweat but never to the point of discomfort or tears. I was also getting therapy 3 times a week, from week three, and by week six was also hiking (50 mins) 4 times a week, which I guess means less intense, more often. Depends on what you are allowed or willing to pay for I suppose. Envy you your ROM . Mine has never been better than 125.
   Definitely sleep better, and require more, than I did before. Advil nighttime helps.
Keep up the Good Fight all !
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5092 on: November 28, 2013, 10:09:05 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends in the USA.

I've been twice to physiotherapy today, one private, one NHS.  Both are working on strength and control.  I don't know what my ROM is, and it isn't as good as my uninjured leg, but it's good enough to let me function and it doesn't cause me any concern.

I've found that I experience ache and ouch! at physiotherapy, but not pain, in fact I expected it to be painful and I'm pleasantly surprised that it isn't.

Tonight I've been to a crowded Christmas Market and I coped well with no stick or crutch despite many small children running around.  I'm trying hard to walk with confidence, rather as if I do this walking lark all the time!  Well I used to!  I have to admit I'm now bushed so it's off to bed for me.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5093 on: November 30, 2013, 06:52:24 PM »
Hi everybody

I have often suggested the usage of a floor cycle as part of the rehab procedure.

Have a look at the Lidl offers commencing on Thursday - a floor cycle for 29.99 and worth every penny - fellow RPT patients have praised it in the past.  It was a life saver for me.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5094 on: November 30, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »
Agreed John.  I have spent 80 minutes so far today on mine while watching college (American) football.  Go Ohio State Buckeyes.  Beat Michigan. 
Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #5095 on: December 02, 2013, 06:41:24 AM »
Hello all.  Had a great 5 day weekend.  Did a little staycation in St. Louis.  Got into the hotel pool and gave my knees a work out.  Could not kick very well, but being able to walk in the water and not worry about falling was awesome.  Also, was actually able to go up and down the steps in the pool almost normal.  But, of course I paid for the over-exertion.  Tops of the knee caps and the outer parts of the knees are killing me.  Just over 18 weeks from the double rupture and still taking my time walking.  Get a little wobbly at times and as my knee extends, I sometimes have to wait for it to sort of catch and then flex.  Scary at times.  SLRs are so much easier now, squats still make my knees tremble, especially doing them on the balance ball.  Hoping for a good winter with little snow and ice.  Prayed at church today for that.  Hope everyone is doing well and I have been following everyone's progress. 

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5096 on: December 02, 2013, 08:03:25 PM »
Good to hear from a lot of you, keep up the great work.  I really get a lot out of reading these posts.

12 weeks post-op today.  Overall, I'd give my knee a B!  ROM is good, pain is low, swelling is a nightmare in one area (rubber pad is adequate description) and makes my knee look deformed from the front.  Been told several times it's all swelling but I don't know!?!?  Had MRI last Monday and see OS tomorrow...will report findings.  Have not begun stair training...feel a little behind on that.  OS is pretty conservative I guess.  PT is also patient...good or bad I don't know.  I push myself at home to stay one step ahead of PT, on floor cycle as I write this trying to get knee loose.  Question: I haven't had any pulling in quad so no "rolling the quad" exercises that I read some of you writing about.  Anyone else not having quads worked on or am I getting short changed at PT? 

Hope y'all are well and I'm sending positive thoughts your way when I have some to spare.  I feel like I'm on a roller coaster at times. Happy, crappy, sappy, crabby, happy, etc.  When I'm really down I think of all the past members of this club who have fully recovered and I try to picture myself one year down the road...😃
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5097 on: December 02, 2013, 10:51:17 PM »
Hello Jerry,

Good to see you are getting along OK.  We are very close in time.  My 12 weeks will be this Friday.

I am pretty happy with things.  Went to PT today.  Here is what I did so we can compare:

10 minutes AirCycle (sp?)
Calf stretches for 2 minutes
Cable walkbacks (hold handle of weighted pulley and walk back and forth several times, used 45 lbs)
Then some INTENSE therapist applied stretching for about 5 mintues (OUCH>>>)
Then did some stretching myself by placing each foot on steps and holding stretch for 20 seconds at a time
Then on to 3 sets of 10 of leg presses with around 45 pounds on the weight stack.
Then seated leg curls with 60 lbs (3 sets of 10)
Then tried leg extensions with very light weight but these hurt me so we won't be doing them anymore

I agree with you re: the "rubber pads".  Doesnt seem to be swelling to me.  I assume it is scar tissue.  Have done some of the Graston (sp?) technique which involves scraping the area to break up scar tissue.  Hard to tell if it helps.  My knees also look terrible. 

I am not using any leg braces or knee sleeves.  Therapist says you come to depend on them so I am opting to not use them, even during therapy.  I want the ligaments/tendons in the knees to develop as well as quads, calves and hamstrings.  Using a brase or sleeve may prohibit this development.

When doing home exercises (SLR's, etc.) I am using 4 lbs ankle weights.  I also wear the ankle weights when using floor pedaler and walk with them.  Therapist doesn't agree with this.  Says I might be recruiting hip and other muscles to comnpensate.  I will continue to use them however, in that when I walk without them, my gait improves after using them.  I walk with better fluidity.

I did get in the pool a few days ago and treaded water, walked and did some kicking.  Seems it helped.  Plan to do more of this. 

Thereapist says I should be good to start driving, but I will get clearance from doctor when I see him 12/10. 

I still avoid stairs/step like the plague.  (I live in a one level home which is common in Florida and I am thankful for).  When I go out on our lanai, I still reach for the walker when going down the step to the lania (only time I use the walker).  So I am with you on the stair issue.  I might ask therapist to start with stair steps on Wednesday.  Glad you mentioned it. 

So as far as quads go, I am working them with stationary bike, SLR's, light leg presses and the cable pulls (walking back and then forward).  I haven't started using a foam roller, and I don't get any form of massage at PT sessions.  I may be missing what you are referring to as far as "rolling"???

I still have a lot of stiffness in the morning.  Takes a few minutes of walking while holding dresser/walls, etc. until I feel comfortable.  Same stiffness after sitting for 30 minutes or more.  Once I get going, I walk pretty well (without limp from what I can tell).  Guess it is hard to notice a limp given I am dealing with RPT on both legs. 

Don't know if any of this helps.  I am rambling a bit.  Best to you and others in the RPT club at the moment.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:55:04 PM by vonlehmd »
Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5098 on: December 03, 2013, 12:20:12 AM »
You guys with the RPT seem to have a tougher time with rehab than the RQT and I can't figure out why. Perhaps the tendon attachment is inherently more fragile below the patella. Once again I seem to have been fortunate. One thing my PT stresses that no-one else mentions are balance exercises, perhaps 'cos I am older than most and he doesn't want a repeat. Any thoughts?
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5099 on: December 03, 2013, 02:28:21 AM »
I asked about golf today and my physical therapist mentioned it would be a while.  Need to work on balance which comes later.  So I guess I am not ready for the balance exercises at 12 weeks.  I did rupture patella tendon in both legs so that maybe a factor.

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

support