Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1248446 times)

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5070 on: November 14, 2013, 01:45:05 AM »
Post op 8 weeks.
Bilateral PTR
Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5071 on: November 14, 2013, 02:01:21 AM »
Dan. I wouldn't give up on your PT until you have given him a try. Mine hasn't done much for me for a while, apart from absorbing most of my pension check last month! What they can do is give you the benefit of their experience in deciding on whether to speed up or retard progress depending on your individual situation.
Good luck!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5072 on: November 14, 2013, 08:21:45 PM »
Thanks for the feedback re: PT folks.  I scheduled my first session for next Weds.

I added to my own PT today with a visit to our community gym.

Felt great to get on the stationary bike and walk on the treadmill.  Really helps with confidence when walking on my own without braces.

Also did several bodyweight squats, which I feel is key to rehabbing knees and quad muscles.
I found a pull down machine with a partial bench.  Held onto the frame of the machine (assisted squats) while squatting down toward seat(bench).  Almost got to 90 degrees.  Did several sets around 10 reps.
Wore my TK (Tommy Kono) knee sleeves for support. 

Spent about an hour at the gym.  Will try again tomorrow and also add some hamstring work (light leg curls and Straight leg dead lifts with light dumbells).

Feels very weird when walking with no brace and no knee sleeves.  Feels like my lower legs were detached and re-attached (which they pretty much were). 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:23:33 PM by vonlehmd »
Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5073 on: November 15, 2013, 05:43:41 PM »
For those with RPT in rehab phase.

I found the ideas from the following link to be helpful.
Especially the use of an incline bench to perform bodyweight squats.

Watch all 6 videos when you find 30 minutes.

http://getbiggetstrong.com/rehab/how-to-rehab-your-knee-after-an-injury-or-surgery/

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5074 on: November 17, 2013, 04:19:53 PM »
Another exercise that seems to feel right at my current stage (9 weeks post op) are TKEs with a resistance band/belt.  It is supposed to really work the VMO (and get it activated).  I just feel better after doing them.

Just go to YouTube and search on TKE, or rehab with TKE, to view a video on his simple exercise. 

TKE- Terminal Knee Extension

I am doing the Standing version with a resistance band.

Try it if you are in the Rehab phase.

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5075 on: November 18, 2013, 12:20:56 AM »
Dan, that's an exercise my physio has had me doing and she gives me the bands to take home.  I say bands because she has increased the strength as I've gotten stronger.  I would say if you can find a good physio they are worth their weight in gold.  I have 2, one NHS and one private who is brilliant.  She checks that I'm doing things correctly and every time I see her she comes up with something new for me to try.  She has also been manipulating my kneecap to improve the tracking and using both a Kneehab and an interferential therapy machine on my leg.  She has also lent me a Swiss ball.  I'm much further along than I would be without her.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5076 on: November 18, 2013, 11:28:20 PM »
Fishy here, week 24.  Just been keepin' on keepin' on.  Walking is becoming more normal.  Slowly walking up and down stairs in the "normal" fashion.  Standing and sitting without arm assistance.  Haven't been on the cycle or elliptical.  Legs feel stronger, so the journey continues.... and the exercise will continue... and to all my brothers and sisters, patience......and a dash of humor!

Offline redspudder

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #5077 on: November 20, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »
Stay positive its the only way forward guys,i know exactly how you are feeling but you WILL get there in the end.

If your a month or so into rehab get a floor cycle i cant recomend it enough.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:45:46 PM by redspudder »
RPT 24th October 2011
Surgery 2nd November 2011

Offline redspudder

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #5078 on: November 20, 2013, 04:44:04 PM »
Redspudder thanks for the update.  I ordered a floor peddler on your and John's suggestion.  Not able to use it yet but ready when I am.  Also, I had to look up what a "stone" was in pounds and WOW...84 lbs is a lot of weight to lose...good for you! 

SellaVee and JC55 thanks for your replies after RPT i was on the sick from work for 6months.I was allready a big lad at around 19stone but i put on nearly another 2 stone during the 6months.I decided in August 2012 at 21stone enough was enough and i had to do something about it.A few lads had work had been on a low carb diet quite succesfuly (similar to the Atkins),i had a chat with them and they said get a book called the new high protien diet by doctor charles clarke (the best 6 ive ever spent!)and it went from there really.I lost the 6 stone in 10motnhs and have been maintaining it over the last couple of months.I am back on the diet again and aiming to lose another stone before Christmas.
Losing the weigh has been great for me i feel so much more confident in myself and love clothes shopping now!
It has helped my knee tenfold but as said previously even now i still pay the knee respect and every now and again it reminds me of my injury by dropping as my weight is on it.This used to happen regualry during PT but very rerely happens now as i built up my strength in the knee overtime,but everynow and again it goes its as if its saying hey dont rest on your laurels son ive still been through a traumatic time!!
RPT 24th October 2011
Surgery 2nd November 2011

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5079 on: November 20, 2013, 06:07:02 PM »
Dan. The Primary machine I use in Physio is called a Shuttle which combines cardio and leg press using resistance bands ( not to be more than half your body weight). I do 120 presses with each leg alternating 6 at a time. Really works the quads. Use the electrical Stim at the time. Could ,and will, do the same thing on a leg press machine using pulleys, when I can't afford more Physio!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5080 on: November 21, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
10 weeks post op tomorrow.

Went to my first formal PT session yesterday.  Gave me a few exercises and techniques.

Measured 90 degrees on left and 105 degrees on right (I ruptured both patella tendons).

Most concerned about ROM, so now really focused there.

Spent time on stationary bike today.  Was able to pedal with seat very far forward.  Getting knees almost to chest, so it is helping with ROM.

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5081 on: November 22, 2013, 01:20:50 PM »
Hey all, sorry for the long time between posts but I've been keeping up on everyone's progress...Great Job!  I was 10 weeks post-op this past Monday.  ROM without stretching by PT is 133 degrees.  I have a lot of tightness and swelling on outside of knee (OS and PT says it is the fat pad which is swollen) that is keeping me from attaining more ROM.  ultrasound has helped a little but I think they will begin using a "steroid strip"??? on the site if it doesn't improve.  OS is not worried about it but it isn't his knee, is it? haha.  I can report that I have been crutch free for a week or more (got tired of hearing the "Tiny Tim" references...actually made me laugh, which we can all use more of...right?).  Yesterday was the first day I walked around the house without the brace.  I think I'm going shopping for a neoprene compression sleeve with an opening for the kneecap (the TK knee sleeve that Von recommended looks great, but I think I want one that allows my kneecap to move more freely).  Showered this morning without fear...big step for me!  I start two a week PT next week to begin more intensive strength training.  I look forward to seeing my thigh and other muscles again...they are like long lost friends to me.  I also talked to my trainer at my gym and will begin working out Dec 1st.
Oh, and top of all of that, I started a new job!  My insurance is through my wife's job so no problems there and I disclosed to new employer that I will have PT and doctor's appts to go to on a weekly basis...they said that would be fine and for me to get healthy...it helps that my job is flexible and that I can schedule my own time. 
Well, I promise to post more often...hope all my US friends have a great Thanksgiving holiday and that I find you safe and well-fed next week...Peace and Good Spirits to ALL!
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5082 on: November 26, 2013, 02:35:02 AM »
My second PT session was today.  More intense this time. 

Bike
Sled drags (using weighted pulley machine)
TKEs
Leg presses with light resistance
A few other exercises.
5 minutes of painful stretches.

My knees are really swollen, and feels like I took a few steps back.  I think it is to be expected, but they sure are sore.  Feels like rubber pads over my knee caps.  Not sure how best to explain it. 

Therapist wanted to see how I would respond to more intense approach.  Jury is still out.

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5083 on: November 26, 2013, 03:03:43 AM »
Hang in there Dan. Think you nailed it with the rubber pads over the kneecaps analogy. That's how I feel when I get up in the morning! My PT had me doing a lot of balance work right from the start. Must be tough with two wonky legs.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5084 on: November 26, 2013, 01:42:11 PM »
Observations and questions.

After my second, more intense, PT session yesterday, some thoughts and questions re: feelings/results after.

Last night, a lot of swelling and tightness.  Did some massage with Bio Oil and applied BioFreeze. 
Slept fine.

Upon waking, more tightness and soreness in the knee than I have been experiencing (plus the feeling of rubber pads over knees).  Seems I have gone backwards, which I guess is to be expected.  My ROM has also gone backwards by quite a bit.

Any thoughts on stretching and exercises the day after?
Or is it better to give it a rest for a day or so?

I understand that the more aggressive stretching that the physical therapist applied can cause an opposite reaction (freezing, less ROM). 

Also thinking it might be best to apply heat today to loosen things up and then go about stretching to get back prior ROM.  Thoughts?

Not complaining and definitely not something I can't tolerate (pain-wise).  Just curious as to what others are experiencing. 

I am used to DOMS after workouts, but the pain and stiffness is only in my knee, nothing in the quad or hamstring muscles.  Guess the knee has to catch up before enough intensity/resistance can be added to hit the larger muscles.

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

support