Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1248416 times)

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5025 on: October 29, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »
Hello to everyone and welcome Meekxu.  Sounds like one heck of an injury.  Nothing like doing it right the first time.

So, an update on me.  13 weeks post surgery on Sunday and still working on getting the quad strength back.  Stairs, both up and down are still killers.  Started working on side and front step ups on an 8 inch step at PT today.  That was really tough with a double.  Almost feels like I am going to hyperextend the knee when stepping up and using quads to lift up that other leg.  Got to 50 pounds on the leg press today, so happy about that.  Can knock out 30 reps per leg, so that is an accomplishment.  I still get a little wobble in both legs at times, mainly when standing up.  I feel that I am using my arms less and legs more to get up from a seated position, and not having to "rock" myself out of a chair.  We havent measured ROM the past two weeks, but after stretching and warming up the tendon, I feel that it is pretty good and last measurements were both over 125, so a degree or two or three will come in time.

Funny story from this morning though.  Was sitting on the bed, socks on and started to try and put my shoes on.  Slipped off the end of the bed and landed on my butt, legs straight and no injury to the two knees.  Sitting there trying to decide how to get up.  Rolled onto all fours, trying not to rest on my knees, as that really, really, really hurt.  So, got back into a seated position, put the shoes on (since the socks and wood floors make it slippery) and did a quasi squat, with back against the bed and used legs and arms to lift myself up.  My wife came in and just chuckled.  But my thighs and knees did not forgive me for the rest of the day.  Anyone else have problems kneeling or being on their knees?

And finally, with most of my swelling finally subsiding, I have noticed that the incision scars on both knees are crooked and off the center of my knee.  Well, crap, so much for having sexy scars next summer. 

Keep the faith everyone.  Hope we are all doing well.

Tom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpqezWZsG-s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not sure if the You Tube link can be accessed above Tom.  When you brought up being on the knees, I thought of this video I viewed recently.  Grant it, this is an "athlete" who is rehabbing from a PTR.  But in the last half of the video you will see him "walking" on his knees.  Says it increases range of motion and helps to break up the scar tissue.  Must really be painful.  Can't imagine this at my stage of 6 weeks out.
Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5026 on: October 29, 2013, 01:36:27 PM »
Hi Vonlehmd

Trying to walk on your knees, bending down on one knee - painful, even after ten years, just have to learn the knack of getting up.

Two PTR`s from Ohio - what a coincidence !

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5027 on: October 29, 2013, 03:28:03 PM »
Hello to everyone and welcome Meekxu.  Sounds like one heck of an injury.  Nothing like doing it right the first time.

So, an update on me.  13 weeks post surgery on Sunday and still working on getting the quad strength back.  Stairs, both up and down are still killers.  Started working on side and front step ups on an 8 inch step at PT today.  That was really tough with a double.  Almost feels like I am going to hyperextend the knee when stepping up and using quads to lift up that other leg.  Got to 50 pounds on the leg press today, so happy about that.  Can knock out 30 reps per leg, so that is an accomplishment.  I still get a little wobble in both legs at times, mainly when standing up.  I feel that I am using my arms less and legs more to get up from a seated position, and not having to "rock" myself out of a chair.  We havent measured ROM the past two weeks, but after stretching and warming up the tendon, I feel that it is pretty good and last measurements were both over 125, so a degree or two or three will come in time.

Funny story from this morning though.  Was sitting on the bed, socks on and started to try and put my shoes on.  Slipped off the end of the bed and landed on my butt, legs straight and no injury to the two knees.  Sitting there trying to decide how to get up.  Rolled onto all fours, trying not to rest on my knees, as that really, really, really hurt.  So, got back into a seated position, put the shoes on (since the socks and wood floors make it slippery) and did a quasi squat, with back against the bed and used legs and arms to lift myself up.  My wife came in and just chuckled.  But my thighs and knees did not forgive me for the rest of the day.  Anyone else have problems kneeling or being on their knees?

And finally, with most of my swelling finally subsiding, I have noticed that the incision scars on both knees are crooked and off the center of my knee.  Well, crap, so much for having sexy scars next summer. 

Keep the faith everyone.  Hope we are all doing well.

Tom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpqezWZsG-s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not sure if the You Tube link can be accessed above Tom.  When you brought up being on the knees, I thought of this video I viewed recently.  Grant it, this is an "athlete" who is rehabbing from a PTR.  But in the last half of the video you will see him "walking" on his knees.  Says it increases range of motion and helps to break up the scar tissue.  Must really be painful.  Can't imagine this at my stage of 6 weeks out.

Hey people.  My double RPT and now at week 21.....I had the same pain you had when I knelt on my knees,  so I use a foam gardening pad that makes kneeling easy.  Scar is definately not sexy and the kneecap is lumpy but becoming much less painful.  At week 12 I was weaker when I walked and afraid of falling...fast forward to now and I walk more confidently and stairs are less daunting.... I have been going up and down ladders painting the inside of our new house and my legs are stronger because of it. You are doing great so keep up the good work..

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5028 on: November 02, 2013, 06:27:54 PM »
I highly recommend TK knee sleeves (Tommy Kono) to everyone with knee problems. 
Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #5029 on: November 03, 2013, 02:48:38 AM »
Well, just about 14 weeks post surgery tomorrow and starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.  Still not doing well with the going down steps, but actually am doing better getting up them.  Inner quads still pretty week but the out part of the muscle feels good and strong.  Used my braces three times this week for several hours when we had some rain and I had to be out while working and knew I would be going up and down steps.  Still have lots of knee pain, especially in the morning after PT the previous day.  Pain still seems to be localized on the outer part of the knee and on top of the quad tendon.  Tylenol for those days, but hoping to get more active even though winter is coming.  Hoping everyone is doing well.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5030 on: November 03, 2013, 12:33:01 PM »
Well, just about 14 weeks post surgery tomorrow and starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.  Still not doing well with the going down steps, but actually am doing better getting up them.  Inner quads still pretty week but the out part of the muscle feels good and strong.  Used my braces three times this week for several hours when we had some rain and I had to be out while working and knew I would be going up and down steps.  Still have lots of knee pain, especially in the morning after PT the previous day.  Pain still seems to be localized on the outer part of the knee and on top of the quad tendon.  Tylenol for those days, but hoping to get more active even though winter is coming.  Hoping everyone is doing well.

Tom
Thanks for the update Tom..  This was great to see.

Speaking of the outside of the knee, I have an issue with the outside of my left knee.  There is a welt (swelling) that is quite pronounced when compared to my right knee.  It's sore to the touch but does not really bother me when bending or standing on the leg.  Not sure if it is scar tissue or something more serious like a meniscus tear.  It is mostly hard to the touch.  So maybe cartilage? 

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5031 on: November 03, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »
Hi All and thanks for the updates.  It's good to know how everyone is getting on.

John42  I invested in a floor pedaller quite a while back and use it regularly.  I'm now at the stage where I'm feeling well enough to overdo things.  If I do too much my knee swells so I sit down, but if I sit for too long my knee stiffens.  Finding the right balance can be quite tricky, so now in the sitting room I have my floor pedaller and a Swiss ball.  When I'm watching TV in the evening I'll rest for a bit, then pedal for a bit, then sit on the Swill ball and slide back and forth bending and stretching my legs.  If I sit on the ball and push back with my heels until my legs are really, really straight and my heels are digging in I can actually feel my quads tighten and I hold this position for a wee while.  You will not be surprised to hear that I don't encourage visitors when I'm doing this  :D .

vonlehmd   I've watched some of the youtube footage.  That guy is really working hard and I was pleased to see that some of what he does I've been shown by my physio, but I don't see me walking on my knees anytime soon and if I do have to kneel down I'll be following fishy's suggestion.

Meek I don't get my ROM measured very often but the last time I did it didn't seem to have changed much and yet I'm doing a lot more, so I've decided not to get too hung up on the numbers.

Jerry I'm massaging my knee a lot too.  You're making good progress.

Tom I have a big advantage being short and bendy, I've been able to cut my own toenails and put on my own socks all the while and I can now step into my shoes without holding on to the furniture.  My scar is crooked and the bottom inch, the bit most people are likely to see if I'm wearing a skirt, has gone keloid due to pressure from the brace.  Fortunately now that it's winter my legs are covered up.  I've seen pictures where guys have really straight scars but mine's like a boomerang.

I went back to work last week.  I only work part time but instead of doing two days a week I'm doing four part days so that I don't get too tired.  I've also driven the car for the first time in months.  I can go upstairs normally and my downstairs walking is improving.  My physio has suggested that I try walking up and down hills.  Trouble is it's very flat where I live so we'd have to drive somewhere but I have a hill in mind in the next town.  It's paved so I won't have to worry about sliding on grass
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5032 on: November 04, 2013, 01:01:14 PM »
Hey all, 8 weeks post-op today.  Have had ups and downs this past week.  Knee feels good except for the lower outside part that aches as I pull my leg through for a normal gait.  It's swollen, partly hard and feels like a tight rubber band.  PT says it's possibly the repaired retinaculum with scar tissue that's causing pain but I'm not convinced.  OS isn't concerned but that's not too helpful either.  I guess we'll see if painful when I begin my active extension here soon...I pray it's nothing serious.  My wife tells me to keep a positive attitude and that I'm doing great.  I'm working on it!  Besides that, the scar looks really good, I'm messaging the heck out of my knee, I'm enjoying the floor peddler but have reduced revolutions so I don't get too sore and PT sessions are going well.  Vonlehmd thanks for the knee sleeve suggestion...I'm definitely going to order it.  I think having that compression will really help get it loose and lubricate the joint.  SellaVee great hearing from you...glad to hear you are progressing  Trying to picture the Swiss ball routine...makes me smile.
I can promise you that I won't be doing any walking on my knees!  Carkletom laughed at your getting out of bed story...wish I could have seen that!  Glad to hear you are doing well. 
To all my other RPT buddies...love the updates and keep getting better.  I'm looking forward to the day when I can go for 24 hours and not think about my knee once.  😃
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:47:03 PM by JC55 »
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #5033 on: November 04, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »
One of the most useful resources I've found on here is the Massachusetts General Hospital rehab protocol, which I downloaded from this site.  They recommend buying a knee sleeve in the 12 weeks post surgery period onwards for times when you are on your feet for a prolonged period of time.  They suggest a neoprene sleeve with an opening for the kneecap and Velcro straps but no hinges.  My own physio said the open kneecap was important.  She suggested a Bioskin knee sleeve as she thought the fabric was better than neoprene.  I haven't bought one of these yet, but I do have an Airprene (breathable neoprene) one with opening and straps.

Poster Stuart Rulka does some serious hiking.  It might be worth finding out which knee sleeve he uses, and what he feels about the opening for the kneecap.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5034 on: November 04, 2013, 10:11:12 PM »
SellaVee. To be honest I do not use a sleeve. I use my brace whilst hiking( set at 120deg) just as a safety measure should I fall. Am at a point where my injury really does not affect my daily life, other than not holding a position for too long. I do appreciat my good fortune in this!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline copper44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 27
  • Right Patellar Rupture on July 31, 2013
« Reply #5035 on: November 06, 2013, 05:57:00 AM »
Hello Everyone!  Been a couple of weeks since my last update.  Work has been very busy so I don't have as much time to check the boards, but I hop on as much as I can.

Last we talked I was due to see my surgeon for my 9 week checkup.  He said I was healing well and that the knee looked good, but when we talked about my therapy he was not happy.  He asked me if I'd been riding the bike or doing straight leg raises and at that point I was just doing Quad sets and heel slides.  So when I told him No and added that my PT sessions did not cause me pain, he said that it if doesn't hurt, I wasn't pushing it hard enough.  So, I told my PT what he said and voila, a little more aggressive PT and a little soreness after my sessions!

My doctor also ordered me a contraption called a "flexinator".  It basically ratchets my knee into a flexed position right at the tip of uncomfortableness and I sit in that position for 10 minutes and then rest for 10 minutes.  I do this 3 times or for 1 hour total a day.  It seems to be working as I am now at about 120 ROM.  I am also doing straight leg raises (well, not always exactly straight), sometimes with leg weights and riding a recumbent bike.  This week is the last of my initial 12 PT sessions, but I am hoping to get another 12 so I can start focusing on leg strength.  It pretty much took the first sessions to get my ROM going.  My knee still gets really warm and it's still swollen, but it's definitely smaller than it has been.  My ankle swells often too, but mostly when I have been walking a lot. My walk is a little better although I still want to swing my hip around.  Unfortunately my scar is still ugly :-). 

I got the okay to drive 2 weeks ago and that has been the most liberating feeling. To need to go somewhere and be able to pick up my keys and just go is priceless!

Hope everyone is healing well and staying safe.  Until the next time...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:58:54 AM by copper44 »
7/31 Right Patellar Tendon Rupture
8/16 Patellar Tendon Surgery

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5036 on: November 06, 2013, 04:26:46 PM »
Fishy here, and Week 22.  Scar is healed and no discoloration or bumps.  Kudos to my surgeon.  Standing and sitting becoming easier but still pain (about a 2-3) for just the instant when engaged.  My left leg doesn't track straight but that will come with leg exercises.  No ice yet here in Alaska, so I haven't had to deal with slippery conditions...but I am ready.  I need to work on the up and down stair issue, and down slopes, and strengthening both legs.  And to all my brothers and sisters with RPT's keep your spirits up and patience....a little humor can't help, either!!

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5037 on: November 06, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Copper44. Interesting to hear from someone subject to a more aggressive approach than my Physio! Mine was a quad tendon but at no time have I been asked to push to the point of pain. Be careful. Everyone's pain threshold is different!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #5038 on: November 06, 2013, 10:05:21 PM »
Cooper & Fishy good to hear y'all doing well.  Cooper, seems to me at 9 weeks you are right on track...I'll be 9 weeks next Monday and currently limited to 90 degrees by OS but last PT I easily went to 96 degrees without brace.  I'm a little anxious to get to 120 degrees, but will listen to OS since he knows the integrity of the repair (no wires).  I forgot to mention that I'm off crutches around the house and I'm comfortable with that...can't imagine not having brace but I'm sure that time will come.  Listening to knee and in good spirits most of the time.  PT added standing leg balances while throwing ball into a net and catching it; also balancing on a round disk elevated in the center by what looks like half a tennis ball.  That's a tough one but getting better.  I'm working on keeping my spirits up and focusing on progress.  Best to all!
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline copper44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 27
  • Right Patellar Rupture on July 31, 2013
« Reply #5039 on: November 07, 2013, 04:43:37 AM »
Stuart - I agree!  I definitely listen to my knee but have to admit that we were taking it a little easy.  Now I push myself so that I am sore, but not in pain.  Kind of like a good workout feeling.  My therapist is very knowledgeable and relies on his training, making changes mid-stream if he thinks I'm over-tired or senses that my knee needs a break.  All and all I've been pretty pleased with my progress.

JC55 - Glad to hear that I am tracking with the same timeline as other folks.  Sometime I worry that I am behind and then I remember what John says to everyone "this is a very serious injury..."  and I reign myself back in.  I am also in good spirits and I think this makes a big difference.
7/31 Right Patellar Tendon Rupture
8/16 Patellar Tendon Surgery

support