Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1250916 times)

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #4980 on: October 06, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »
Yesterday was the 3 month anniversary of my surgery and I woke up feeling good.  I measured my injured knee and found it was now just 1" wider than the uninjured one.

I'm walking about the house slowly but normally and I use one crutch outdoors because we have a lot of autumn leaves on the pavement and when its been raining outside I worry about slipping.  We also have some cobbled areas in our town - constructed 8 years ago for decorative effect with no thought for the disabled or even girls in high heels.

I can now get in and out of the car without using the leg lifter and I sit normally in the passenger seat.

Last night we went out for a meal with friends and I walked to and from the restaurant and was able to sit normally. 

I've added wall slides to my exercise routine and I've been practising stepping up and down normally - I've created some practice steps using a Wii Fit board and a plank on top of two house bricks.  This gives me a very shallow flight of steps to practise on.  I'm not quite ready to tackle ladders yet!

It's great to hear how well everyone is doing.  Life does, indeed, go on.  Thanks, guys, for posting your updates.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline copper44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 27
  • Right Patellar Rupture on July 31, 2013
« Reply #4981 on: October 08, 2013, 05:39:26 AM »
Hello Everyone.  Many apologies for the lag in posts.  Returned to work a few weeks ago and it's been non-stop!  A good non-stop though.  I am definitely happy to be back to some semblance of normalcy.

Finally saw my actual doctor last week at six weeks post surgery and he released me to weight bear and start official physical therapy.  Yay! He says I need to focus on ROM before I can start building my strength back.  He estimated me at between 60-70 degrees,  and told me to ditch one of my crutches and to also work up to ditching the brace (not sure about that one yet!)

I also had my PT evaluation today and he measured me at 54-60 degrees  :(.  My PT said that he would categorize my surgeon as conservative because at 7 weeks post surgery he'd expect me to be further along in ROM and strength.  What's up with that?  My knee was pretty stuck which probably should be expected when you are straight-legged for 6 weeks.  He tried to move it around and it would only move to the side, and not that much when it did move.  So he is going to focus on ROM initially and gave me 4 exercises to do while we wait on formal insurance approve (the woes of worker's comp):

1) pull up on knee using only the muscles directly above my knee cap
2) heel slides
3) gently pushing up and under my knee cap to force it to glide over the socket
4) massaging the tendon area directly below my knee cap (lots of scar tissue buildup here)

So the story of my recovery is to break down that scar tissue! He seemed pretty confident that he could get it done and have me moving onto building strength.  I should be back for my next appointment by Thursday when I can officially start the PT process.

Hope everyone is doing well.
7/31 Right Patellar Tendon Rupture
8/16 Patellar Tendon Surgery

Offline redcoat82

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4982 on: October 08, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »
Ben5000

wrt Shockwave therapy

My therapist started me on shockwave almost right away (started physio at 8 weeks). He said the tendon had a tendency to get "corded up" and the shockwave helped break it down. We typically did shockwave and micro massage for 1/2 hour before we got started on physic. This continued until I stopped regular physio after about 6 months. I am now 20 months post op and continue to train 2-3 times a week and see my therapist usually every 3-4 weeks. I saw him yesterday and he did shockwave on both the tendon and the quad as they were pretty knotted up.

Left PTR : May 1993
Right PTR : Feb 23, 2012
Surgery: Feb 29, 2012
First PT: Apr 10, 2012

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4983 on: October 08, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »
Hi Redcoat

Do you know what ROM range of movement you have reached in both knees?   any pains? walking, any serious points which you might like to mention.

Any tips for the newbies?
Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #4984 on: October 08, 2013, 06:41:15 PM »
sella, cooper, john and redcoat, good to hear from you.  cooper, initial passive ROM is good since you can not build strength in the quad until you have ROM to do the exercises to get the strength.  sort of a catch 22.  And working the patella on top of the joint to break down the scar tissue is very important.  I spent a lot of time massaging the knee.  I think Sella had the same experience.  Plus, it feels good.

I have learned that keeping the hamstrings loose and stretched is a key also.  I have been having some back problems, mostly from catching myself when I stumble.  I have been ditching the braces in my office and at home, although I dont go outside.  PT yesterday was done all without the braces.  Seated squats with about 30 lbs, with both legs and single.  My legs still look thin and unattractive.  Walked a mile and rode two on the treadmill and stationary bike.

But I seriously hate the fact that I hurt both tendons.  I so wish I could go back to that day and not climb in my garden.
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4985 on: October 08, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »
Hi Carkelton

Progress - delighted - give some thought to purchase a floor cycle - -leg pedal exerciser  about 30 from Argus in the UK or similar price from Amazon - just sitting in the chair and pedal away.

Keep posting

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline redcoat82

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4986 on: October 10, 2013, 01:01:42 PM »
Hi John,

I haven't measured my range of motion in quite a while, but I would guess I have full range in both knees for extension and may be off 3-5 degrees for flexion (you may recall I have done both RPTs 20 years apart). Interestingly I have started very active (i.e. painful) knee flexion and glute stretches with my trainer and my ROM is actually continuing to improve.

I have some pain from time to time in both tendons and quads, but it is usually the result of overwork without enough stretching. I would say generally I am very active, I continue to be involved in the sports I want to (primarily skiing and cycling) and continue to train regularly. There is definitely light at the end of the tunel.

Paul
Left PTR : May 1993
Right PTR : Feb 23, 2012
Surgery: Feb 29, 2012
First PT: Apr 10, 2012

Offline hages1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #4987 on: October 11, 2013, 07:43:35 AM »
Hello to all,
9 weeks post update,I have been going to pt three times a week, this last week I also did 2 hydrotherapy sessions(highly recommended). I am working on Rom and muscle strength.
ROM 138.
I ditched the brace this week, I felt like it was holding me back... I still use a cane outside for longer walks.
In general the knee is still swollen but not so painful.
I have an appointment this week by OS, will try to update..
painless weekend to all,

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #4988 on: October 11, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »
Hey all!
Glad to see all the posts.  Having read the most recent posts I have a thought: everyone is different and progresses at different rates...but remember, progress is progress and should be celebrated.  At first I was comparing myself to everyone else but decided for my sanity to just trust my OS and PT and listen to my body.  I will be 5 weeks post-op on Monday.  Saw my OS this morning and he released me to 60 degrees (was at 30). I then had my second PT session immediately following doctor appt.  Did SLR with brace locked at zero.  To my surprise I was able to raise my leg with relative ease.  Then I did all the other therapy I had been doing the last two weeks.  Lastly, the dreaded heel slides... I was a little apprehensive and maxed out at 50 degrees.  Although I was happy with this result all the catches and releases of the adhesions were a little disconcerting.  My big fear is rerupturing the tendon...but also want to get that ROM.  Patience, patience, patience.  It will come as it has with all of those who have gone through this before us. 
Hope all have a great weekend...peace and good thoughts to ALL.
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #4989 on: October 12, 2013, 05:14:32 PM »
Sorry to post again so soon, but forgot a few things:
1) Cooper44 50-60 degrees at 7 weeks is nothing to worry about.  The OS is a little more intimate with the repair details and maybe that's why more conservative.  You are doing great!
2) Hages1 Question: I'm curious what you mean by hydrotherapy?  Is it like an athletic whirlpool, swimming, etc?  Please clarify for me because I'm interested in talking about this with my PT.  When I broke my arm I lived in the whirlpool and it felt great.
3) Carkeltom I really connected with your "wish I hadn't done this to myself" feeling.  I'm right there with you, brother!  But let me tell you something...you, Fishy and all the other double rupture guys are a real inspiration to me.  You have every right to feel down but I'm amazed by you guys and your perseverance and determination.  You will be fine, just celebrate the baby steps.
4) SellaVee I can't wait to go out again.  "I'm fancying a pint with my mates at the pub" (try imaging a Kentuckian doing his best British accent...haha).  Glad to read you are doing well!
5) John42 you are a ROCK...thanks for helping all us newbies.
6)Redcoat82) when you say shockwave...is that same as ultrasound?

If I missed anyone else, sorry.  Hope y'all keep up the great work.  And as Fishy said, "be patient and stay strong"
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline racerchick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4990 on: October 13, 2013, 03:43:54 AM »
As a long time reader, I have finally decided to post . . .

In January, 2012, I had flown out to participate in a ski race.  After competing and beginning to slow in the finish line, I did a quick jump turn and merely fell.  However, when trying to right myself back up I realized I couldn't get back up.  As an MRI tech, I was fairly confident I knew what I had done based on the symptoms and immediate swelling.  I then got on the next return flight home (traveling alone-that was a chore in itself).  An MRI the next morning confirmed what I pretty much knew - torn ACL, MCL, PT and retinaculum. 

I had the PT surgery 7 days later and rehabbed and achieved normal ROM by early May, 2012.  I completed a mini marathon (walking 18min/miles) and then had the ACL surgery a couple of days later.  By late June, 2012, I had a high riding PT and was beginning to lose strength and developed an extensor lag.  A repeat MRI confirmed that the PT had not held up.

I had it surgically reconstructed and augmented in Sept. 2012.  To ensure the graft had ample time to heal while allowing ROM, it was recommended to have the stabilization wire (which was removed Nov. 2012).

I did lose ROM after the augmentation (as they ensured it stayed 'tight' and made it about 2mm shorter than it had been before), although it is still a semi-respectable 125-130.  While still painful at times, I can make 5 miles on the Octane in 30 minutes and am hopeful I can return to ski racing this season.

While PT ruptures are rare enough, I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with re-rupture?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4991 on: October 13, 2013, 06:52:47 AM »
Hi Racerchick

Welcome to the RPT thread

Yes - there have been a couple of reruptures over the years, but very rare indeed. Sad it may be, but you may have to postpone your aggresive participation in sport activities for quite some time.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Ben5000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4992 on: October 13, 2013, 11:30:38 PM »
8 months post RPT and just completed a marathon today. Knee feels fine.  I was a little slower than usual but attribute that to my current fitness level instead of the knee.

Redcoat, thanks for the info on shockwave therapy. I'm going to give it a try.

Ben5000

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #4993 on: October 14, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »
Ben that is unreal! Congrats!!! I am very curious to see what your knees look like next to one another after 8 months! I was not even close to running like that at 8 months! How does your kneecap feel? Post a photo if possible! Great inspiration!

Offline CapHill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4994 on: October 14, 2013, 07:25:36 PM »
I just found this forum and spent quite a bit of time reading through some of the posts.  It is quite informative and I figured I would post.

I am 4 weeks (tomorrow) post op from full RPT surgery on my right knee.  I didn't need screws and wires, as the rupture was in the middle of the tendon.  The first 4-5 days were quite painful, but I have seemingly got to a pretty good place after 4 weeks.  I have my next OS appointment the first week of November and was told to also schedule my first PT visit at that time. 

I am currently still using crutches (though can bear weight and get around the house without them), and also have my leg in immobilizer until my OS visit.  I am hoping that I will be cleared to a ROM brace when I go in at that point.    Sutures came out after 10 days and still have steristrips on.

I am hesitant to go into the shower without my brace, so I need to bag up in large trash bag to keep it dry.  Looking forward to being able to take a shower without it.

Taking my first trip across country on a plane next week, which I'm sure will be an adventure.  Anyone have any advice to plane travel at the 5 week post-op point? 

Looking forward to continuing to read this great site for inspiration.  Its amazing how an injury like this can make even the easiest things seem complicated. (I am 6'3" and cant get my leg into car so need to sit across back seat)

Mike
Complete Right Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injured 9/7/13
Surgery 9/17/13