Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1250905 times)

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #4905 on: September 05, 2013, 04:52:12 AM »
fishy, my wife said the same thing to me about Forrest Gump with both braces on.  Fishy, when did you feel confident enough to ditch the braces?  I go to my first outpatient PT tomorrow and she is supposed to unhinge the braces, so I know that tomorrow will not be my day to walk without them.  I know it is a perceived feeling/fear of falling and getting injured.

Copper44, if you are talking about steri-strips, strips of cloth with adhesive that they put over the incision after removing the staples, they will eventually fall off.  wash your knee with water or whatever you want to use and that will loosen them up.  I grew tired of mine too, sort of like a scab that is dying to be picked.  I used neosporin and lotion with shea butter on my knees to keep the scars both clean and healing and soft.  I have seen some nasty looking scars on people's knees and I have too long of a life to be walking around with shoddy looking incision scars.

Hope that helps and good luck with your return to work.  Remember to ice and elevate as needed as healing has to come with that also.  Since you will be at home you should have a chance to do all that stuff you need to do to get going. 

Copper44, I do have one question though.  You have moved your brace to 20 degress for walking or just for doing passive ROM.  I guess you are doing the ROM but you said you want to start partial weight bearing.  Do you walk with crutches or a walker and are your braces locked for that?    And I agree that most of the protocols do call for early passive ROM.  I am supposed to start 90-30 active ROM this next week, so I am really trying to work on my quads.
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #4906 on: September 05, 2013, 05:51:29 AM »
Carkeltom I laughed my self silly..... my OS, on my 9 week visit, made the statement I could wean myself off the braces..... let me just say weaning took 30 minutes outside his office.  I adopted my cane on and off for about a week,  was very very deliberate with my steps, but gradually got more courage....by week 12 I am walking more natural...once again, girl friend says I walk like the tin man now...a vast improvement.. Give the wife and kids a hug and thank them for their understanding and patience...

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #4907 on: September 05, 2013, 02:01:08 PM »
I was at the hospital today and saw the registrar.  He mentioned the wire in my knee and said it would only come out once I could do a straight leg raise.  I don't have enough quad strength yet for that.  The physiotherapist wanted me to concentrate on the bend, but he agrees I need to work on strength.  I only knew that because of kneegeeks!  I've been doing quad sets every day but the atrophy I suffered during the 3 and a half week wait for surgery means I've still got a lot of work to do.  I go back in 2 weeks.

I asked if I should be having physiotherapy more than once a fortnight and was told it was up to me to do the exercises myself.  Which would work better if the physio actually showed me any!!!!!  Thank the Lord for John42's information.

My "bike riding" didn't go all the way round, so I just went back and forth.  I've accidentally gone right round a few times and it's a bit of an ouch so I'm going to build it up in baby steps as I get more used to the machine.

I don't have a foam roller so today I used a roll of kitchen towel under my knee while I sat with my legs straight out.  I managed to raise my heel up, so I'm on my way.

Physiotherapy appointment tomorrow.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline copper44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 27
  • Right Patellar Rupture on July 31, 2013
« Reply #4908 on: September 05, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement Fishy.  I did not realize that the tendon takes that long to heal since PT seems to start so much earlier than that. Very good to know.

Tom, your analogy of a scab dying to be picked is so accurate! I will look into some softening aids to help with the scar.  Also, I am doing passive ROM to 20 degrees.  No walking at all.  I use 2 crutches to get around with my braces locked. I'm hoping to just be cleared to put a little weight on my ruptured leg while still using both crutches.  Not planning on ditching them anytime soon.

I suspect that I am allergic to my steri-strips which is causing the itching.  Also think that they are still on because my incision has not healed completely yet. I have a small spot which is not closed (didn't help that I tried to look at it and pulled on the strip).  It was leaking fluid so I tried to look at it and now it bleeds a little when I do my ROM exercises.  I was concerned about an infection so I spoke to the doctor's office and they said if the leak was not cloudy (pus), I was good, but they still gave me antibiotics just in case.  I actually see the Doctor on Monday so hopefully I'll get it taken care of then.

Take Care Everyone.
7/31 Right Patellar Tendon Rupture
8/16 Patellar Tendon Surgery

Offline mw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Patellar Tendon Rupture Dec. 2012
« Reply #4909 on: September 05, 2013, 10:04:45 PM »
I started my own topic but thought i would copy and paste into this thread:

I ruptured my patellar tendon in late December 2012 playing football and had surgery on January 1st 2013. I am now 8 months post-surgery and still working at gaining my quad muscle back on my injured leg. ( I was in a straight brace for several weeks after surgery and my right leg atrophied quite a bit) I do a variety of leg workouts including weighted squats in the smith machine, leg press, and lunges. My leg is slowly gaining strength but it doesn’t seem to be gaining any size. My questions is for all those who have had this injury: did you gain back full strength/size/mobility in your injured leg? If so how long did it take? Any training/workout suggestions? I am huge into outdoor sports and have recently started mountain biking again and it feels great however, I would like to get my leg strong enough to start running/snowboarding/jumping again. Thanks in advance for the help!

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4910 on: September 06, 2013, 04:00:59 AM »
mw, I am only about six weeks post op of a double patellar tendon rupture, but I have read the entire thread almost, 327 pages of it and there are some people who have tremendous success recovering from their injury.  Most people seen to work more on getting their mobility first and then focus on strength and regaining size.  As someone who used to do a lot of working out, strength exercises.  higher weights with lower reps builds size/mass.  There are lots of people who go back to pre-injury activity.  I know that I will be looking at at least a 12-14 month recovery/rehab period due to my injury.  Glad to see that you are doing good though and nice to meet you.  I will copy and post this on your other thread, but this is the place to be.

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4911 on: September 06, 2013, 04:31:39 AM »
posted for mw and totally forgot to post an update on myself.

So, first PT appointment today and was pleased to learn that I get 26 visits per year with no co pay to insurance since I have already met my deductible.  Yahoo.  So, the PT and I met and the person who was behind me in terms of scheduling cancelled, so I had a two hour appointment.  That was a bonus since I spent the first 30 minutes of the time scheduled answering her questions and catching her up to speed on what I have and have not done in terms of exercises and such.

She measured ROM at 78 degrees left leg and 84 degrees right leg, which is pretty good since I dont usually do my passive ROM movements until after I have done all my other exercises.  Told her my knees felt tight, but no worries. 

I did SLR with both legs and get to do them now on a daily basis until my muscle fatigues she told me.  Did not think I had that much quad strength, but the left leg about jumped off the therapy table.  The right one, which I had drained on Tuesday 9/3 was less active and painful, but I did it.

Then the big thing in my book.  We unhinged my braces to 30 degrees flexion.  She said the doctor called for 90 and we agreed that I would increase the ROM while in my braces 10 degrees every day or two, after I was finding myself depending on the crutches less that I was before.  I know that I just have to trust my legs and braces to hold me.  Supposed to be not using the braces at the time of my next appointment, so I will start a countdown for that I guess.   I did a few squats and some steps and getting out of a chair, which is still hard.  She said I would have to "put my nose over my toes" to stand up like I did before the accident.  So, lots of homework and exercises to do while I am at work and home.

copper44, I had the same thing with bleeding and such when doing passive ROM with the steri strips and the staple too.  I was constantly thinking that I was breaking the incisions open.  Hopefully your weightbearing will go good and you will be so relieved to actually put more than a toe on the ground.

sellaVee, I asked about the cycling, and if you can not go completely around, move it farther from you.  I have done it, but only sitting on the edge of the chair and almost pedaling with my toes on the pedals.  The PT said I will start cycling next week and that I could begin bringing the cycle closer to my body as my ROM increases.  And I would definitely ask for the names of the exercises they want you doing at home, so that you can look them up yourself.

and lastly fishy, from frankenstein to forrest gump to the tin man.  very good ideas of how you are walking.

Tom

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4912 on: September 06, 2013, 01:36:30 PM »
posted for mw and totally forgot to post an update on myself.

So, first PT appointment today and was pleased to learn that I get 26 visits per year with no co pay to insurance since I have already met my deductible.  Yahoo.  So, the PT and I met and the person who was behind me in terms of scheduling cancelled, so I had a two hour appointment.  That was a bonus since I spent the first 30 minutes of the time scheduled answering her questions and catching her up to speed on what I have and have not done in terms of exercises and such.

She measured ROM at 78 degrees left leg and 84 degrees right leg, which is pretty good since I dont usually do my passive ROM movements until after I have done all my other exercises.  Told her my knees felt tight, but no worries. 

I did SLR with both legs and get to do them now on a daily basis until my muscle fatigues she told me.  Did not think I had that much quad strength, but the left leg about jumped off the therapy table.  The right one, which I had drained on Tuesday 9/3 was less active and painful, but I did it.

Then the big thing in my book.  We unhinged my braces to 30 degrees flexion.  She said the doctor called for 90 and we agreed that I would increase the ROM while in my braces 10 degrees every day or two, after I was finding myself depending on the crutches less that I was before.  I know that I just have to trust my legs and braces to hold me.  Supposed to be not using the braces at the time of my next appointment, so I will start a countdown for that I guess.   I did a few squats and some steps and getting out of a chair, which is still hard.  She said I would have to "put my nose over my toes" to stand up like I did before the accident.  So, lots of homework and exercises to do while I am at work and home.

copper44, I had the same thing with bleeding and such when doing passive ROM with the steri strips and the staple too.  I was constantly thinking that I was breaking the incisions open.  Hopefully your weightbearing will go good and you will be so relieved to actually put more than a toe on the ground.

sellaVee, I asked about the cycling, and if you can not go completely around, move it farther from you.  I have done it, but only sitting on the edge of the chair and almost pedaling with my toes on the pedals.  The PT said I will start cycling next week and that I could begin bringing the cycle closer to my body as my ROM increases.  And I would definitely ask for the names of the exercises they want you doing at home, so that you can look them up yourself.

and lastly fishy, from frankenstein to forrest gump to the tin man.  very good ideas of how you are walking.

Tom

Carkeltom. congrats on the PT appointments, and the braces.  The nose over toes still takes my breathe away...some times I can stand without assistance, sometimes I must use my arms for support, but I am progressing non the less.  I don't have a PT session until next week, but the gym and exercise pool are open 7 days a week.  I use all the machines that exercise the quads...I am up to 130 lbs with the leg press, but the leg curl...forgetaboutit...I did 10 lbs x 10 (3 sets) and blinked away tears...are my quads that atrophied!!! The short answer is yes (darn it)... but the results are paying off...went to the movies with my sweetie and I am walking better and better.  Stairs are still tough...I want to go up and down the "one step" (take a step, both feet on the step, take a step)method, but I forced myself to take "one step to the next step"(one step, other leg to the next step) and held on to hand rail for dear life but got to the bottom without incident (whew).  And for those that have access to a wading pool it is just plain fun to walk...the water gives buoyancy and resistance making walking easier. 
Keep posting my brothers and sisters, I enjoy reading your journey.  I will keep posting and keep you all in my prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4913 on: September 06, 2013, 01:57:03 PM »
Tom, that's a good suggestion about the pedal exerciser, thanks.  I think I'm going to be relying on you, because I went to see my physiotherapist today and was in and out in 10 minutes  :( .

Like you, my surgeon had said unlock to 90o but physio and I agreed to start at 30o.  I've been unlocking 10o every few days and I walked in today and told her I'd unlocked to 90o.  I was feeling really pleased with myself - right up until I got told off.  She reckoned I wasn't at 90o and set the brace at 80o.  I've to keep it locked at 80o until I go back to her next week.  Unlocking the brace is her job I'm told.  Neither of my legs has actually been measured with an instrument.  I've to push the back of my knee down 30 times then try and do an SLR to a height of 2".  That is a useful instruction which I'm going to keep trying.  I can use the pedal exerciser (no advice about that, so thank you again), and do my exercises - raising and lowering my leg while seated, and heel slides.  My husband was shocked when I reappeared.  I felt so low that I had to go shopping  ;D !  I've now got a new mascara and lipstick.  Retail therapy instead of physiotherapy!  Walking round the stores was quite exhausting but good level surfaces.

On the plus side, at least the physio won't do me any harm, and it may be she wants to take things slowly, but I was so disappointed and even more so when I came on here and read Tom's post.

I'm taking inspiration from fishy's descriptions - I'm going to follow my own yellow brick road and add in exercises.

Copper44, I was worried that I'd done too little with my scar as I left it well alone for many weeks having been given no instructions to do otherwise.  It seems to have paid off as it hasn't given me any trouble.  I'm now, at 9 weeks post op, going to try massaging it with Aqueous Cream on the advice of someone who had heart surgery and was told to use it on their scar.  Until now I've used various lotions on my knee but I've avoided the scar.

Fishy, thanks for the inspiration and the prayers.  I will try to be patient.

Offline Crosekids3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4914 on: September 07, 2013, 05:56:19 AM »
I ruptured my patellar tendon Aug.6, had surgery to fix on Aug .15, so I am 3 weeks post op.  I will be honest the several days after surgery I was in a lot of pain, especially the 2nd night after ( my 1st night home).  The pain has gotten much better though !  20 years ago at the age of 17 I tore my ACL on the same knee, and 1 month after ACL reconstruction I was walking at scho, my knee buckled, and I broke my kneecap into a T. I do not rememer the pain being quite so bad but I was much younger :) I am still in immobilizer, still use 2 crutches.  I can take a couple steps without the crutches . I have been to PT 3xs, I am only allowed to bend my knee 45 degrees per drs orders, but can only do 30.  That is with them doing it for me.  I thought was a fairly tough person.. Physically, and mentally but I will be honest I sometimes wonder if I will ever be normal again , be able to drive , and ever be able to sit in the front seat of a vehicle ?  I have 3 kids , and just want to be able to get out , and do stuff.  I feel like it is such a production for me to get in a car ! I have read this forum many nights when I can't sleep . I like to read other stories, see their accomplishments, and what they are going through !

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4915 on: September 07, 2013, 06:30:28 AM »
I ruptured my patellar tendon Aug.6, had surgery to fix on Aug .15, so I am 3 weeks post op.  I will be honest the several days after surgery I was in a lot of pain, especially the 2nd night after ( my 1st night home).  The pain has gotten much better though !  20 years ago at the age of 17 I tore my ACL on the same knee, and 1 month after ACL reconstruction I was walking at scho, my knee buckled, and I broke my kneecap into a T. I do not rememer the pain being quite so bad but I was much younger :) I am still in immobilizer, still use 2 crutches.  I can take a couple steps without the crutches . I have been to PT 3xs, I am only allowed to bend my knee 45 degrees per drs orders, but can only do 30.  That is with them doing it for me.  I thought was a fairly tough person.. ..Physically, and mentally but I will be honest I sometimes wonder if I will ever be normal again , be able to drive , and ever be able to sit in the front seat of a vehicle ?  I have 3 kids , and just want to be able to get out , and do stuff.  I feel like it is such a production for me to get in a car ! I have read this forum many nights when I can't sleep . I like to read other stories, see their accomplishments, and what they are going through !

Crosekids,  WELCOME TO THE CLUB.  Its rather exclusive, but you qualify.  I'm a double RPT, 14 weeks post surgery...and I can remember the first week clearly.  My friend, you are doing just fine.  I remember taking Norco like candy, literally taking an hour to pee, forget about sleep.  FEAR.  But it does get better, and you will be able to drive, get out and do stuff with the family.  Just give your wife and kids a big hug and thank them for understanding.  Patience is our montra.  This is a year long journey for you and me.... 12 weeks for the ligament and the remainder for the atrophied quad.  But you will recover.  Take care my friend....you and the rest of the club are in my prayers...

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4916 on: September 07, 2013, 10:32:09 AM »
Crosekids3, I was totally devastated by my injury.  I fell awkwardly on my upstairs landing - I wasn't even playing sport, and when I found out what the surgery entailed I thought I'd never get better.  The mental anguish was as bad as the physical pain.  Every time I thought about it I cried. 

Your description of getting into the car brings back memories, but that's what they are, memories.  I'm now 9 weeks post op and I can sit in the front passenger seat with my foot on a couple of cushions and the seat as far back as possible.  Next week I'll probably ditch the cushions.  I still have to lift my leg into the car but even that's improving.  Have you got a leg lifter?  It's a very useful piece of kit.  You're much younger than me so will probably get to that stage a lot faster.

Make use of your kids.  Get them to fetch and carry and help your wife out. When you're doing your exercises they can count the reps or time you with a stop watch.  You can still read to them and play board games, do quizzes, test them on their times tables - I don't know what ages they are so these might be rubbish suggestions, but your brain and you're hands still work so use them.  It's not the same as getting out but it helps pass the time.

I had no idea how I was going to pass the summer but it has flown by.  You will get there. 

Sella

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4917 on: September 07, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »
Hi and welcome to crosskids 3

By now, you will have realised that you have sustained a very serious injury.   responses are coming in to give you good advice. 

Read some of the previous posts on this thread.   Click on the undermentioned thread and you will see a set of documents which I together with KneeGuru have compiled over the years.

PATIENCE is required and ASK questions.    Where do you live?  How did you sustain this current injury?

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4918 on: September 07, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »
Crosekids3, like everyone else, welcome to the club.  Please dont be discouraged by the passive ROM you are getting.  It will get better with time.  I will say that I too was floored after learning that I would be in the immobilizer for 6 weeks without bending the knee, but it does take that long to heal the surgical structure and even longer for complete knee healing.  We all have setbacks along the way.  Like fishy, I tore both patellar tendons and have a whole different set of obstacles, but one would be enough.  I can not have imagined having to wait 9 days for surgery so I hope you have a chance to read some of the past posts.  A good starting point is to find a person who posts, and click on their profile and you will pretty much be able to follow along with their recovery. 

Listen to the PT and surgeon and follow their suggestions and supplement with what you learn here.  We all have different treatment protocols, but Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation (RICE) see to be a common theme.  I am 7 weeks post surgery on 9/8 and I continue to do those four things on a daily basis.  Your crutches are your friend and so is that brace.  When they give you homework exercises, do them.  My PT said to do them until the muscle is fatigued. 

Crosekids3, I have three girls myself and was active with all of their sports, as we do softball year round.  I spent a majority of my coaching time catching pitchers, in a full on squat, and never figured that a slip in the garden could cause so much pain and agony.  And I will probably be sitting on a bucket catching the girls from now on, but I am determined to get back to it.

Watch the weight bearing and listen to your knees and body.  PAIN IS PAIN and it is there for a reason, to tell you to stop or slow down.  The car will get better, just like SellaVee said.  I came home from the hospital in the backseat of my car.  After you get the brace unhinged, it makes things A LOT easier. 

Getting your thoughts and feelings out here on the board, somewhat annonymously, is cathartic.  Ask questions of your PT and doctor and do not let them bully you into holding back or not getting better.  Sometimes the medical model of healing needs us sick to support the system.

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4919 on: September 09, 2013, 08:45:09 AM »
Its 1130pm and I'm sitting upright instead of sleeping.  I have spent the last two exhausting days going up and down a ladder (3 rungs at the most) painting a garage...my legs have been throbbing but I push thru....what great exercise for my quads!! A few advil a day and presto, a great day of PT.  And tomorrow I have a real PT session, and I am absolutely dreading the muscle rub out at the end of the session....but it all is for a reason.   I am getting better... I am walking better, sitting and standing without using my arms (a real conquest for a double RPT).  I am getting sleepier by the minute and soon I will be sound asleep.  For all my brothers and sisters in this exclusive club take heart if you are a bit down, it does get better.  I will keep you all in my prayers for a speedy recovery...and now for sleep.

support