Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1251405 times)

Offline copper44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 27
  • Right Patellar Rupture on July 31, 2013
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #4815 on: August 09, 2013, 08:29:27 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply John!  I will press for a quicker surgery or find another surgeon.  I live in Grand Prairie Texas which is located right next to Dallas, Texas.

I will be sure to keep posting updates.
7/31 Right Patellar Tendon Rupture
8/16 Patellar Tendon Surgery

Offline mxbigd17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
  • Motocross Riders Never Give Up
« Reply #4816 on: August 11, 2013, 06:41:12 AM »
Copper44, try and find a good sports Dr. This is a serious surgery that needs to be fixed right the first time. I can't tell you enough to be prepared for some long restless nights. Get the Internet on high speed, gather some books and magazines and I hope you have someone who will help take good care of you right after surgery. Hopefully your bedroom isn't on the second story. Getting out of bed will be a daunting task at first, an I don't even won't to tell you how awkward it is taking a number 2. The good news is, is that you will get better. It just takes time and patience. Also, be prepared to hear to many "I tore my ACL also" stories. I tore both of mine, but the patellar tendon needs a lot more time and patience to heal. They don't repair a ruptured ACL, they put new grafts of other parts of your leg in there to replace it. Sorry to hear of your wait. My OS couldn't get me in for 3 weeks either. I guess your backed up when your a good OS. So I found a colleague of his to do mine, 2 days after I ruptured it, but my primary OS will oversee my injury/surgery in the future. Keep your head up, and stay as positive as possible. Post your progress and concerns and keep us all in the loop as everyone who reads this forum is already interested in the long journey ahead of you. This is not the "I sprained my ankle" club. It's the "I ruptured my Patellar Tendon, but I'm going to overcome it and be stronger" club.
5/27/13. Complete RPT (shredded) left knee, torn ACL left knee, dislocated Right Shoulder.

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #4817 on: August 11, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »
I fell over at home on the 11th June.  I had surgery on the 5th July.  I have found this board tremendously helpful and I've already been in touch with John42 by email.

Here in the UK we seem to be given far less information about our injuries/surgeries than those in the USA and other places.  Having read through many (but not yet all!!) of the previous posts I was able to go to my follow up appointment armed with a list of questions.

One of the things that caused me a lot of concern was the delay in having my surgery done.  Being female and of a certain age I wasn't the typical sportsman or weekend warrior presenter, although the female A&E doctor at my follow up appointment 1 week after my fall diagnosed RPT straight away.  She sensibly sent for an orthopod but the very junior doctor who came (his description) wasn't sure and wanted me to see the consultant.  The consultant, who I saw more than a week later wasn't convinced, despite me being unable to lift my leg and having a kneecap that was sitting high, but ultrasound confirmed the RPT and I had surgery the following week.  I think my age, gender and circumstances counted against me.  If I'd come in from a football pitch I might have had surgery sooner.

My  biggest concern was the state of the tendon as I'd read a lot of comments on here.  According to the registrar, when they did the repair the tendon was fine.  It had taken a bit of bone from my patella and they fixed that too.  I have a big figure of eight wire in place supporting everything.

Provided the tendon remains fine the main problem with the delay is muscle atrophy.  I've never been athletic but I did dance and do Pilates so I was pretty bendy for a woman my age.  My right thigh now looks like a panna cotta that's been sitting in the sun.  I've been told by a friend that it takes three times as long to regain muscle as it does to lose it.  If that's true the delay will cost me another 10-11 weeks in rehab.  There's nothing now that I can do about that so I'm going to concentrate on doing the best I can to improve my mobility.  I have, for the moment, given up jiving.  Those flicks and kicks are just too dangerous  :).
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4818 on: August 11, 2013, 05:01:05 PM »
Hi SellaVee

Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru -  I am delighted that you have taken my advice to join this thread, and hope that you have picked up some information from previous posts to obtain a better understanding of this rare and serious injury.

Together with KneeGuru, we have jointly put together a comprehensive number of documents relative to this injury and rehab information.  Strongly suggest that you look at all the documents from which there is more important information.

ASK questions - we are all here to help you.

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4819 on: August 11, 2013, 06:36:12 PM »
Thank you, John42, for the welcome.  That is some collection of documents on Facebook.

As well as asking for advice I hope to be able to share some of the things that have helped me.  I don't know if this is unusual, but I wasn't allowed to leave hospital until I could walk with crutches and go up and down stairs either on my bottom, or with one crutch and the bannister.  Using the bannister rail was considered much safer than using two crutches.

I'd been bottom shuffling up and down stairs at home, pre surgery, and walking in crutches.  My leg was in a cricket splint to keep it stable.  I spent my time either in bed or on the sofa with my feet up on a footstool plus cushions.

In hospital I was given a great and really simple piece of kit, which you can buy online, called a leg lifter.  It looks a bit like a dog lead that's lost its dog.  It's a reinforced webbing strap with a soft loop at the top for your wrist and a reinforced loop at the bottom which you bend open till it fits your foot.  It has made getting out of bed easy.  I swing my good leg onto the floor and hook the reinforced loop around my other foot.  I then use one arm to push myself upright, and the other to lift my leg onto the floor.  I grab my crutches which are kept nearby and loop the leg lifter on.

In the bathroom I have a footstool in front of the loo, set far enough back to let me step between it and the seat.  I put one hand on the cistern, bend my good knee and sit down while swinging my other leg up onto the footstool with the lifter.  In the downstairs loo, having run out of footstools I use an upturned plastic bucket.  One good thing about a loo, it's not going to slide backwards or fall over so I can manage a very stable transfer.  The only problem is OH leaving the seat up  :).

Hope this helps.   

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4820 on: August 11, 2013, 06:45:55 PM »
Hi SellaVee

Delighted that you will be sharing your  long haul to recovery with other members of this exclusive club.

Where do you live?   In which hospital did you have your operation?   As and when you commence your physio, ask your PT " have you seen this type of injury before?  ( in most cases "no")

Sleep with a pillow/cushion between your legs - takes the weight of the injured knee.

At a later stage of physio, consider purchasing a floor mini cycle - look in Argus or Amazon - costs about 30, but a worthwhile investment.

Keep posting

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #4821 on: August 11, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »
John, I hope I am replying or posting to the thread correctly.  I ruptured both patellar tendons on July 19 2013.  I had surgery on July 21.  I live near St. Louis Missouri.  I had my surgery at St. Joseph West in Lake St. Louis.  I spent two day post op in the hospital and then was transferred to a rehab hospital for one week, until the insurance company said I was doing to good. 

As of 8/11/13, I am still not 100% weight bearing.  I use a combination of crutches for in my cramped house and a walker if I am lucky enough to go outside.  With both knees immobilized, and after reading the most recent threads, I am glad I am not alone, although I have seen very few of the bilateral ruptures.  I walk like a penguin and getting in and out of bed is one of the hardest, along with sitting on the commode. 

I have stopped using pain medication other than tylenol as it did not seem to touch the deeper pain I have at the reattachment sites, which were both and the bottom of the kneecap.  I have my first visit with the orthopedic surgeon this week and was hoping to be able to ask some meaningful and thoughtful questions, with it being a rarity to rupture both tendons.  My protocol for PT is looking to be at least 12-16 weeks of PT, with complete immobilization for the next 3 weeks.  I have a desk job, so sitting at a desk with my legs dangling, which hurts the most I feel.

If I get some xrays pictures or MRI pictures, I will post them.  Just want some good answers.

Thanks again.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4822 on: August 11, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »
Hi Tom   

Welcome to this exclusive club, although you must have sustained such a rare injury ( a double RPT ) I have only seen about 5 or six in many years.  You should click on the undermentioned thread - lots of good reading about your injury and the rehab which follows.  I would guess that your Orthopaedic Consultant has never seen a double RPT injury.  I would guess that you will be imobilised for at least six weeks ...and don`t forget to ask your PT " have you seen this type of injury before?

Keep posting - lots of buddies to give you advice - ASK questions - PATIENCE - the next few months - will be tough, but you will get there in the end.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4823 on: August 12, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »
Tom, well done on being back at your desk so soon after your double RPT.  I'm sure every move you make must be more than twice as difficult as it is for those of us with the single RPT.

You mention sitting with your legs dangling.  Would you be able to rest them on a cardboard box under the desk?  It might help if you suffer from tingling and swelling.

My son got married exactly one week after my surgery.  I made it to the wedding and sat at the top table with my leg on a stool (hidden by the table cover).  Sitting in one position was a trial and I had to go for a lie down and a stretch afterwards but I wouldn't have missed it for the world and I don't think anyone noticed me popping Tramadol and Paracetamol.

Getting out and doing things has kept me sane.  If you're in the UK you can hire a wheelchair from the Red Cross.  I've got one with a leg extension and it's made such a difference.

I start physiotherapy on the 23rd.

I've been interested in reading Joerd101's posts.  We have the same injury and both had a delay in being diagnosed.

I have an exercise bike but I've been told it will be a while before I get on it.  I've learned so much from other people's experiences.

Joerd101, if you're still reading the board, how are you doing?

John42, is the exercise bike as good as the floor cycle?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4824 on: August 12, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »
Hi  SelllaVee

Have a look at the Argos catalogue Daina McCall mini exercise bike - you just sit in your chair and pedal away, or there is a similar one on the Amazon site.   A godsend to say the least.

Best

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4825 on: August 12, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »
Hi SellaVee

Forgot to mention, that you should consider applying for a blue car disability badge - you could put this to good use for the up coming period.  If wish any guidence, then please let me know.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #4826 on: August 12, 2013, 05:05:03 PM »
Week 11 update.  This last week has been amazing.  With the braces off (yes, I had a double whammy,
left RPT, right torn, both immobilized for 9 weeks) for the last two weeks my legs feel so much better.  I have been able to work out on stationary bike (no resistance, just cycling), leg lifts without braces, sleeping without waking (rolling over with braces...not so much fun, right people!).  I am the senior responder (I believe) at the age of 66.  I took a statin to reduce cholesterol for 14 years and have run over 60 marathons, and my Doc believes the statins history of weakening muscle, in conjunction with my falling down two stair steps on to concrete, as possible cause of RPT.  I visit my PT doc tomorrow for evaluation and further instruction on suggestions for PT.  I believe that my positive attitude has given me a quicker recovery, that and a wonderful group of dedicated medical professionals at my local VA hospital that have nurtured me thus far and will continue to guide me towards a speedy recovery.  I plan to attend a wedding on August 24th, and dance at the wedding (I know I will still be clumsy and unsteady, but that will not deter me in the least).... and I hope you all keep posting.  This is a journey with no specific destination except for returned health and I pray you all have a successful journey.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:51:44 PM by fishy »

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4827 on: August 12, 2013, 06:40:17 PM »
Fishy, I'm so pleased to hear how much you feel a positive mental attitude helps.  That's been my mantra lately though I found it very difficult to achieve at first.

I'm five and a bit weeks post surgery but I'm nowhere near being able to do a leg lift even though the consultant had me try one when he saw me last week. 

I did hit the dance floor at my son's wedding.  They played The Macarena which has a lot of arm movements so I did those from my wheelchair and my eldest son spun me on the turns.  I'm sure you'll have a great time.

John42, I did the online test for a blue badge and I don't meet the criteria.  The link you sent me didn't work and I think they might have tightened up the rules.  Fortunately my husband is able to drive me around and wherever we go he drops me at the door.

A question for people who can do leg lifts:  How long did it take and what helped you get there?  Is it easier once the brace comes off?

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #4828 on: August 12, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »
SellaVee,  as you read all the stories you will find one common thread....."be patient...".  So you cannot do a leg lift YET, you are healing and hurting right now.  Give yourself a break and let patience be your guide and you cannot go wrong.  That, a good PT and the occasional pain med will do wonders.  I did leg lifts with braces about where you are at.... but they were painful and I let up for a few days and did one successfully without pain.... now I do sets of 20 reps x 5 daily (or more)....
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:58:51 PM by fishy »

Offline copper44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 27
  • Right Patellar Rupture on July 31, 2013
« Reply #4829 on: August 13, 2013, 03:07:04 AM »
mxbigd17, Thanks for the suggestion.  My surgeon does cater to sports medicine and actually had an ACL rupture repaired on his own knee. (Not sure if that is good or bad, but I'm sticking with good).  I was able to get my surgery moved up so now it will be done two weeks post rupture. Certainly not the best timeframe, but better than 3 weeks. Interestingly enough my surgeon was the one to get everything moving as he was unaware of his staff's delay in processing the paperwork.  It happened at work so I am FORCED to go through workers compensation for any medical needs, but fortunately the surgeon I picked is in the network.  I live in a one-story and my family has been over-the-top supportive.  I know what you mean about using the restroom and that is actually my biggest concern: how am I going to get myself on and off the toilet!  This my be TMI, but I have been researching toilet extenders.  I am female so it is already an issue and I am not in much pain.  I can only imagine trying to maneuver after the surgery.

SellaVee It was good to hear that you did not have any issues due to a delayed surgery.  I am hopeful that will be the case for me as well.  I was not expecting my leg to look like a dried panna cotta, but now I am prepared!
7/31 Right Patellar Tendon Rupture
8/16 Patellar Tendon Surgery

support