Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1259565 times)

Offline mxbigd17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
  • Motocross Riders Never Give Up
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #4785 on: July 12, 2013, 01:14:30 AM »
Ok, went for my 6 week post op visit today. Dr. ditched the Bledsoe brace and I was fitted with a DonJoy extension brace. I managed to get 40 degrees flexion in the office, not very easy though because the knee is so tight, so I'm happy my knee still moves.

He set the brace at 40 degrees and told me to flex it passive only. I go to my first PT on Monday the 15th. So begins the journey to walk normal again. Also they did a couple X-rays of the knee today and said it is in the correct position. I am one happy camper as of now

I will keep posting my progress as it gets better. For anyone going thru this recently, it does get better, it sometimes doesn't feel that way though.
5/27/13. Complete RPT (shredded) left knee, torn ACL left knee, dislocated Right Shoulder.

Offline The Eejit

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #4786 on: July 15, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »
Hey Mx,

You're quite correct, it does get better, even though as you say there are days when it will certainly not feel like it.
As well as a physical journey to recovery, there is also an emotional one which is equally as tough especially if you have never been injured before.

Don't push to hard, especially in the first couple of months, a risk of re rupture is not worth it.

You'll find as the days and weeks pass that you are able to do little bits and pieces you were not able to before and these are they days that spur you on more than anything.

The 13th July was my one year anniversary from surgery and looking back to 8 months ago I did not think I would be able to do the things I can now. I still have problems but every day is getting better. It turns out on top of the rupture I also have cartilage damage so my recovery was always destined to be a little slower.

You will get there and although I don't feel it, most people say I am waking relatively normally now.

bballkingofnba

I'm hating the stairs, totally hating them. My MRI revealed cartilage damage which will require surgery at some point, oh and apparently it is 100% certain I will get arthritis. They seem to believe the C Damage is what is causing the click, even through I protest I never had it before the surgery but hey ho. \I'm teaching myself to go down stairs, but it's not easy. Hopefully I'll be like you and it will click into place soon.

boing

I'm the same as you and Scott, I also have a higher kneecap as a result of the surgery. They don't seem concerned by it at all, one surgeon tried to make me believe I had them all along, but I know for sure I didn't. Like you the more my muscles come back (Albeit slowly in my case) the shape is changing. It's also not as noticeable now the muscles are starting to grown back. I guess it will never be normal, but then neither am I so no biggy :) I'm trying to attach a pic, not sure if it will work, but the shine on the bad knee is pretty much where my kneecap it. Sometimes it is more noticeable than others.

John

I got tubi grip thanks :) That seems to help a little..ta for the suggestion!
My friends call me Juls :)
-----------------------------------
6th July 2012 - Ruptured Left Patellar Tendon
Friday the 13th July - Surgery (yes I said my goodbyes lol)

Offline KLo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
3-Years Post Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #4787 on: July 23, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
In 8-days, I will celebrate the 3-year anniversary of my knee injury/surgery.

Today, my left knee is about 85% of what is was but I can perform the activities I enjoyed pre-injury/surgery.

Looking back on my recovery and physical therapy, I would have pushed myself a lot harder and picked a more aggressive PT and PT program.

I wish all of you good luck with your individual recoveries.  If you have any questions, just ask.

KLo
Left RPT 31 Jul 2010 - Rock Climbing/Bouldering
Surgery 03 Aug 2010, Dr. Dominic Tse

Offline mxbigd17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
  • Motocross Riders Never Give Up
« Reply #4788 on: July 24, 2013, 09:17:14 AM »
Hi everyone, hope all is well. 8 week update. I went to PT today and she had me doing all the basic leg lift stuff from my sides, belly, and back positions. She stretched my knee gently, and at the end she measured my knee at 60 degrees. My knee feels very thick with movement, kinda like someone poured molasses in my knee during the surgery. Am I on point with where I should be with 60 degrees, in 8 weeks? She said the Dr has a very conservative approach for me and she is following his orders. My PT is a really nice girl and makes me feel very comfortable in a very uncomfortable situation. She seems to be very good at her job. She said the same thing you said Eejit, that this injury will effect my emotions. Make gains one day, then feel like I take two steps back the next. She said the knee will bend, I just have to give it time.
I guess I'm the small talk at rehab, with this injury being so rare and all, the girls call me the motocross guy who has broken everything. I have surgery scars on both knees, both wrist, and a 10in scar on my stomach area from losing my spleen. But this RPT is my main focus right now and can't wait to look back at this time of my life and just smile because its just.......life.
How is everyone else doing with their recovery, not a lot of chatter on this thread like in the past. I really enjoy reading the previous post from other years, while lying in bed. Knowing I'm not alone, and reading success stories keeps me motivated to push everyday to get better. If anyone has any positive stories of life after this injury, please share, I would love to read your responses.
John42, if you could. I am very interested in the documents you offer to other Ruptee's. As its hard to find information of this injury on the web. Reading what you have would be greatly appreciated.
Take care everyone, and I hope to read success stories very soon.
5/27/13. Complete RPT (shredded) left knee, torn ACL left knee, dislocated Right Shoulder.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4789 on: July 24, 2013, 09:26:15 AM »
Hi Mxbigd17

Following your progress report - you are indeed following recovery at the normal rate - just listen to your knee - don`t do anything silly, as we don`t want a rerupture do we.

Keep on posting

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4790 on: July 24, 2013, 09:30:23 AM »
Hi Klo

Read your three year report - 85% ROM is just about normal - I reached 117ROM and this has not improved after nine years.

A pity that the internet did not provide such good information about this rare injury until KneeGuru appeared, since then, all systems go.

This is the reason, that I compiled as much information as posible, and put it into one document which I pass onto all newbies, and welcome new additions as and when the are available.

Keep posting
JohnK/ Manchester UK
JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline AnthonyH

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4791 on: July 24, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could provide some quad strengthening exercises as my hospital as been extremely slow with this and then put me forward to have to my wire removed well before it was due out. *Sigh*. My current state of affairs is as follows.

*May 15 - Full ruptured patella tendon
*May 22 - Surgery
*6 weeks in cast
*Now in week 2 of  brace set at 30 degree.

The surgeon I saw today who cancelled my op (wire out) said I should have the brace at 60 degrees now and should start some strengthening excises for my quad but I haven't been given any. Any advice on exercises, websites to see would be gratefully appreciated. Just waiting for PT to come through but going to start some privately. If anyone can recommend any decent PT's for knee injury's in the CR0 area I would gratefully appreciate it

Anthony
Ruptured Patella Tendon May 16 2013
Playing 5 a-side football  London UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4792 on: July 24, 2013, 01:33:11 PM »
Hi Anthony

There have been some people in the past who had a a RPT in the London area, so I am hoping that somebody in the South of the UK is going to respond.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #4793 on: July 24, 2013, 07:30:16 PM »
Hi, 60 degrees at 8 weeks isnt bad at all as flexion gains come until 3 months post op quite normally. Honestly, it is a good thing you are progressing cautiously because my PT was arrogant and didnt follow the docs orders. He had me bending too aggressively and tho I didnt re rupture the tendon he definitely made it overstretch since collagen isnt stabilized for teh first 6 weeks. As a result of his negligence i now have a longer tendon and a kneecap that sits about 11 mm higher than my normal one. Be glad your PT is sensible and follows the doctors. I wish I had found a conservative doc and a sensible PT.

Offline AnthonyH

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4794 on: July 25, 2013, 09:13:44 AM »
Hi John42 & bballkingofnba,

cheers for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.  And thanks for all the valuable info so far I will definitely be making sure my physio goes slow on the flexion. Trying to concentrate on getting the quads back which I know will take time  ;). I'm using arnica cream & baby bio for the swelling and scarring. Should I also still be using ice too? The doctor said the swelling from this surgery takes a long time to go but I feel the swelling hinders but ability to flex my knee.

Off to physio this morning so hopefully have good exercises to come back with   :)

Anthony

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4795 on: July 25, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »
Hi Anthony

Having read your post of this morning, I don`t think that you meant "baby oil", (plant food!!), should it have read
"Bio Oil" which is very good for reducing swelling.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline AnthonyH

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4796 on: July 25, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »
Hi John,

yes sorry good spot  ;)

Anthony

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline molly arthur

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4797 on: July 29, 2013, 07:24:25 PM »
dear Frank,

can you give me the name of the good surgeon who did 40 of these surgeries in the SF Bay Area? my son needs one right a way, appears to have a ruptured patella tendon, yesterday, and we are looking for the best group and surgeon now. thanks.

Molly

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4798 on: July 29, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »
Hi Molly

I am unable to suggest a surgeon on the West Coast of the U S A, but know that there have been several RPT patients on the West Coast.   

This is a very serious and rare injury with a minimum rehab of six months.

I am sending you by e-mail a document which covers a RPT injury and the rehab process - read with care #
and ASK questions and keep posting.

Where do you live?  how did your son sustain his injury?

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4799 on: July 30, 2013, 03:50:04 PM »
Hi Molly 

I trust that meanwhile somebody has responded to you - did you receive my e-mail with attached documents?

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon