Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1250693 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #4755 on: May 09, 2013, 09:15:08 AM »
Suggest you ask your surgeon if he has used sutres or wires - this makes a difference to the rehab process.

Sleep with a pillow/cushion, as this takes the weight of the injured knee.

Best of luck with the operation.

Keep posting

JohnK/ Manchester UK  -
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline boing

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4756 on: May 09, 2013, 01:06:03 PM »
JohnK,

Thank you for your reply and wishes.
I had asked him at last visit. He will use sutures, so no need to go back, open up, and take out the wires again. :D
I will let you alll know how it goes.
Peace!

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #4757 on: May 09, 2013, 04:42:27 PM »
Hi Ben,

Congrats on your great progress. Just wondering, have you noticed a difference in your kneecap heights since surgery? I am just curious to know if patella alta is a common finding after such a surgery. Both me and awpalmer have higher kneecaps due to an elongated tendon.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline boing

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4758 on: May 11, 2013, 12:39:58 AM »
Hi friends, the surgery went very well according to my OS. The incision now is hurting me like crazy. I was also told not to have any ROM for 4 weeks. Is this common, I have read that many of you started having exercise since the 2nd week post-op? Thanks!

Offline Ben5000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4759 on: May 11, 2013, 09:49:28 PM »
Hi bballking, my kneecaps appears to be the same height. The injured knee is still bigger than my uninjured knee, so a little difficult to tell for sure.  I wonder how long it will take until the swelling goes down completely? I'm at almost 13 weeks post surgery.

To boing, the first couple of weeks were almost entirely in bed. Very limited mobility. And I think I have had a faster rehab than is typical. For me the magic really started to happen after week 5 (which is when I took off the brace).

I will repeat a common mantra of JohnK - you have sustained a serious injury, don't rush it.

Good luck!
Ben

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #4760 on: May 15, 2013, 04:06:34 PM »
Haha even a year later my knee is still swollen but it doesnt affect any of my activities. But my injury was a little worse than just a torn tendon. And you can check for a patella alta by sitting on a chair and felxing your knees to 90 degrees. Then just gauge the distance from the bottom of your kneecap to the shin bone.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4761 on: May 15, 2013, 06:44:35 PM »
Hi Boing   

You should be in a brace or plaster cast for he first 5/6 weeks, once this is removed you should have about 30/35 ROM - the  the physio commences to reach the first milestone of 90 ROM within 10/12 weeks.

DON`T puh it - let that tendon heal.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Clint

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4762 on: May 16, 2013, 05:46:28 AM »
Hello all,

I just completed my 1-month post-surgery PT session earlier this week and my therapist and I were able to achieve 63 degrees ROM before any significant tightness or mild discomfort in my kneecap area became an issue. In the meantime, I have been doing passive ROM exercises manually at home as well as using an elastic exercise band to work my ankle and calf muscles. I've also recently begun doing quad contraction exercises to keep my upper leg muscles active.

I'm scheduled to see my therapist again this coming Monday and I see my OS on Friday, May 24. The scary thing - my therapist told me that in two more weeks the doc wants me to be at 90 degrees ROM; to be capable of doing step-up/step-down exercises; and to be able to perform leg lifts (with brace). Unfortunately, unless my ROM changes pretty dramatically in the next two weeks, I just don't see 90 degrees as a realistic 6-week goal. On the bright side, I have been putting more and more weight on my injured left leg - quite a bit actually - and the swelling is slowly but surely diminishing as the days and weeks pass. I am very happy to report that I no longer need to take a crutch along with me into the shower.

Anyway, my top priorities for the next couple weeks (aside from the objectives I listed above) are getting permission to go back to work (primarily a desk job), and getting permission to ratchet my brace down enough to get in and out of my car.

@ Boing, I'm happy to hear that your surgery went well :) I know what you mean about the initial post-surgery pain - after my femoral block wore off (2 days post-op) - I was in a pretty considerable amount of pain. That said, the pain should get a lot better fairly quick. In my case, I didn't need to take any pain medication after about 2 weeks. As far as your question regarding the down time before you start your PT, I will echo what so many have said here already: All orthopedic surgeons are different in the recovery programs they adhere to. So, if I were you, I'd probably just do what what your OS says.

At this point in my own recovery (4 weeks) I'm now able to put a pretty good amount of weight on my left leg, and my question of everyone is whether any of you were able to achieve 90 degrees ROM by week 6 post-op, and if so, how difficult/long was it to progress from 60 ROM to 90? I can sort of feel when my knee seems to be too tight to bend any further, and I don't want to stress the tendon repair prematurely - however both my OS and my therapist seem to think 90 ROM, stepping exercises and leg lifts are achievable 6 weeks goals. If so, is there anything more I should be doing outside of PT for the next two weeks, or am I on track - as my therapist seems to believe?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated and I sincerely hope everyone else is doing well and on the road to full recovery :)

Thanks from warm and sunny Michigan,

Clint

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:02:36 AM by Clint »

Offline kwhsim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4763 on: May 17, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »
Hi All,

This forum has been both inspirational and informational for me.
I had no idea that such a forum would exist for an injury such as patellar tendon ruptures.

I ruptured the patellar tendon in my left knee playing pickup basketball on 5/1/2013 and got my surgery done on 5/7/2013.  The ephemeral nerve block they put on after the surgery was amazing since I couldn't feel a thing for 18 hours.  I wish they told me how painful it would be for the next three days afterwards though.
At least its been improving slowly each day.

Now its 10 days post op and just got the 18 staples out of my leg...
Starting to feel better without all that metal sticking out of my skin.
I'm supposed to go back and see the surgeon again 3 weeks later to test my range of motion and start PT.

But I'm finding it hard to sleep since I used to sleep on my stomach.
Now I'm forced to sleep on my back with the knee brace on - which is not comfortable at all.
Any advice on how you guys manage to get a good nights rest?

Appreciate any insight in advance.

-k

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4764 on: May 17, 2013, 10:45:29 PM »
Hi

Sleep with a cushion/pillow between your knees - I will give you a more comprehensive response and advice tomorrow

Meanwhile read with care a collection of documents which I have compiled over the years. 

Where do you live?

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline kwhsim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4765 on: May 18, 2013, 06:37:04 AM »
Hi JohnK,

Thanks will try to sleep with a pillow between my knees.
Will read through the documents as well!
I live over in Seattle, WA in the US.

Appreciate it.

-Ken

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #4766 on: May 18, 2013, 07:20:11 AM »
Hi Ken,

I'm a stomach sleeper as well and managed to sleep on my stomach by putting pillows under my brace as well as sliding down the bed so my foot hung over the end. I was even able to sleep like this straight after my op in the hospital, the nurses were amazed as they had never seen anyone do this before!

I also used John's trick of having a pillow between my legs so that the brace did not rub against my other knee.

Good luck, sorry to see you join this somewhat exclusive club, but John is the man in the know, so follow his advice and you will not go wrong.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline kwhsim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4767 on: May 18, 2013, 07:12:10 PM »
Hi Sue,

Cool thanks for the tips.  8)
I will try that and let you know how it goes.

-Ken

Offline boing

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4768 on: May 20, 2013, 02:30:07 PM »

Hey Clint and John, thanks for your advices and insights. I don't mean to brag at all, but I opted not to have the femoral block, and stopped popping pain killers at the 3rd day after surgery. I guess the pain I suffered was the consequences that I deserved. Nonetheless I think my recovery has been coming along very well. On the 4th day post-op, I climbed up stairs to 2nd floor to sleep in my lovely bedroom, of course with immobilizer on.  The following morning, I had my 1st shower after surgery, even without the helpful but annoying immobilizer. With this being said, I am confident to bear about 30-35% of my body weight on my injured knee. This past Saturday, I went to a 5k race that was originally organized by me. After about 2 hours walking/standing with the immobilizer and crutches, I could clearly feel the pain and stiffness coming from medial to upper knee area.
I won't begin my PT until I see my OS again, which is 3 weeks away from now. I am expecting to have about 20-25 degree by then, and going to discuss with him if I can reach 90 in couple weeks after PT begins. I am not sure if my goal is realistic, but I'd like to have something set there I can constantly try to achieve.
Sincere appreciation from already hot and sticky Houston!  :)

Offline macdaddybuff

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4769 on: May 30, 2013, 10:08:38 PM »
Really nice to hear from others out there like myself. 
I ruptured my Patellar along with medial and lateral retaneculam 15 months ago.  I was jumping to hit a volleyball and it popped 3 times.   Instead of doing the smart thing and call an ambulance.  I let my friends help me to the car and the wife drove me to the hospital emergency room.  We live in a smaller town so the Emergency room did not have a wheel chair that had a leg extension on it or not one they could easily get. So they had a male nurse come out and my wife held my leg in the air as the dude pushed me in.  Beyond painful where i had to wait a full hr to get in to a room. Lesson learned if you are jacked up call the ambulance they will wheel you right in a room.  After Surgery about a week later started having chest pains found out I had blood clots in both lungs due to the surgery.  Double wammy.  They put me in a plaster cast for 6 weeks then straight leg brace for another 6 weeks.  Doing much better now.  I figured it would hurt rehabbing and it did.  What I did not realize is sitting in a chair for longer than 30 mins is what hurt the worst.  My goal from here on out is to be able to run a half marathon at first then a full later.  I don't care at what speed just set a goal and hopefully I can achieve it.  Any runners in here been able to run long distances after Ruptured Patellar Surgery.

Oh and my wife is a PTA if you have any ?s fire away.   I eventually got to where I got full range.  I am at 135 which is really good.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:13:45 PM by macdaddybuff »