Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1250789 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #4695 on: March 24, 2013, 06:43:33 PM »
Hi Tim

I really think that you should be a little wary of avoiding using a crutch/cane - the Tendon has not healed, and you should be using some sort of aid to take some of the weight of your knee when walking.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline TendonTim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4696 on: March 24, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »
Hey John and awpalmer,

Thanks very much for the insight. I'm along the same lines as awpalmer where I don't travel more than a few feet without a crutch. I feel strong and stable without an aid but I agree that it would be wise to stay off of it for a few more weeks.

My therapist is having me do a lot of single legged balancing, calf and hip strengthening, and patella mobilization. I really don't feel any pain accept for when I have to bend it everyday.

I'm really curious when active extension started for some of you all because, like awpalmer, I have a lot of pain in the top of the kneecap when I do anything close to extension. Any how long does it take to get this scar loosened up?

Thanks for any and all help.

Tim

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4697 on: March 24, 2013, 09:53:27 PM »
Hi Tim

Early days yet - listen to your knee - don`t force it   -

PATIENCE is required - Don`t push it

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

CSM4thCAV2014

« Reply #4698 on: March 25, 2013, 05:08:02 AM »
Hey guys, just for comparison, my OS had me NWB for 6 weeks and in hard casts and then immobilizer braces until 12 weeks. He stressed that the tendons take several weeks to heal and he warned me of doing too much too soon for fear or re-rupture and no one wants to go thru that! I notice in some places the protocol is much less conservative. IMO, itís not worth the gamble to push things too fast. However, some on this board have reported great speed in their recovery with little or no problems. Iím almost 2 years out and have considerable problems with my knees but none of it is related to my initial rehab period.

JC

Offline redcoat82

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4699 on: March 25, 2013, 01:23:42 PM »
I have just got back from holiday and realized my 1 year anniversary had passed without an update, so here goes.

I had my 1 year checkout with my surgeon and he said there wasn't any need to come back. My mobility is the same in both legs and my strength is 85% for my quads and 95% for my hamstrings. The OS said I should continue to see improvement for the next year as I keep training.

I finished the ski season up by racing in my club championships, I did terrible, but it was exciting to be able to compete in a race a year after my surgery.

With the weather improving, it is time to put the skis away and concentrate on the bike. A year later, I feel like I can do pretty much whatever I was doing before my RPT.

Paul
Left PTR : May 1993
Right PTR : Feb 23, 2012
Surgery: Feb 29, 2012
First PT: Apr 10, 2012

Offline Jedward

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Ruptured patella tendon playing football, Jan 2013
« Reply #4700 on: March 25, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »
10 weeks today since surgery ... Still in a brace, set to 90.  Cannot do any straight leg raises at all.  This is worrying me.  I can get my knee to approx 80 degrees ok, 90 is a real struggle.  Still very painful too.  I hired a kneehab to work on my quads ... Anyone used one of those to stimulate the muscles? 

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4701 on: March 25, 2013, 04:55:22 PM »
80/90 ROM should be at weeks 12/14, so don`t worry, but listen to your knee - don`t push it, the tendon is still healing   

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline TendonTim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4702 on: March 25, 2013, 10:25:19 PM »
Thanks John,

After readying more literature on the whole rehab process, I agree that listening to your body is the best thing you can do. The speed of recovery will vary by the method used in the repair, age, diet, genetics, etc. Being careful is the major thing to do.

Jedward I highly recommend the kneehab. I started electrical stimulation the day after surgery to strengthen the VMO and that muscle is the most difficult to strengthen. I now do 3 sets of 5 straight leg raises during my 30 min stimulation session 4 times per day and I have no pain. Good luck.

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #4703 on: March 26, 2013, 02:17:33 PM »
Hey Tim and Andrew,

I read your comments about the kneecap pain and I wanted to let you know its quite normal. I had it too during PT but it fades away with time. I still have some pain going down the stairs and I am about to hit the one year mark. I can do the stairs just fine but i just have that little pinch of pain. My doc calls it anterior knee pain. He said its something that just passes with time and can take a few years to resolve. But you can still go back to your activities as long as its tolerable and the tendon has healed.

Offline awpalmer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4704 on: March 30, 2013, 01:42:36 AM »
Bballkingofnba: Glad to hear this is normal, thanks for the confirmation.

Just a quick update, its been 9.5 weeks now and the pain around the top of my kneecap has started to slowly decrease in intensity when I briefly "test" it out which is good. Still not pushing it though. Also, I can now bend to 115 deg (maybe 5deg more? on a good run) but the general stiffness and tightness is still there when I bend past the 30deg mark. This to has seemed to regress the past week and a bit but is still there nonetheless. I think a big help to this is the use of an exercise bike, which I can now use at zero resistance. Each peddle feels quite intense (in terms of pressure but zero pain) and I attribute this to the gradual loosening of scar tissue. Going forward this will be a staple of my regime to regain full ROM. Currently my physio has me doing this for 5min per day at zero resistance.

As for walking, I have essentially ditched the brace when hobbling around the house and can walk short distances without feeling the need for a walking aid at all. That being said, when my leg gets fatigued I still resort to using a cane in the house and always use one crutch when at school or going out.

I'd be interested to hearing how everyone else is progressing at this point?

And finally, does anyone have any workout regimes for going to the gym? Many exercises are either much harder or impossible to do without full stability of both legs (which we obviously do not have!). Any advice would be appreciated.

Hope all is well with the rest of you,

Andrew

Offline TendonTim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4705 on: March 31, 2013, 12:54:19 AM »
Hey Andrew,

Thanks for posting the update. You're a little over 3 weeks ahead of me (I'm 6 weeks post op) so I try to look out for the things you post as I assume I'll be hitting shortly after you.

As for my update, we (my PT and I) hit 93 degrees flexion this past friday and are looking to do more strengthening of my quads this week. He told me we would start mini squats (squat to 30 degrees) and mini extensions (foam roll under knee while laying on a table and extending the knee). So far hip and calf strengthening has been extremely helpful.

I did notice that the pain in the top of my knee has calmed a bit. It's still there but not the searing pain that I used to have. My PT said it was due to scar tissue so we'll see how that goes. Also, I noticed that if I stand and flex my knee to 90, I feel that stretch at 30 degrees. I remember Andrew talking about that so I looked into it. I was told that the stretch feeling is due to the fact that they had to shorten the tendon before they reattached it so it will feel that way until it stretches itself into a more natural position.

Thanks for the tip about the exercise bike Andrew. I'll ask my PT tuesday if we can start that up. Good luck and please continue to update us.

Offline Ben5000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4706 on: April 02, 2013, 06:11:09 AM »
Here is my 8 week update (from complete RPT):

I'm walking normal, at my regular walking speed and with no limp.  I can walk up stairs alternating (i.e. normally), but still have to take one step at a time when going down.  I wear no type of brace, knee sleeve, nor use a crutch or cane.

Swelling has gone down considerably. Still ice everyday and use an electronic muscle stimulator on my quad.  I have no knee pain, other than when trying to stretch it (which I only do cautiously).

I go to the gym 5 days a week (which I did pre-injury). I am now able to do cycling on a recumbent stationary bike, but not on a standard stationary bike. I use the elliptical trainer, and do a variety of leg exercises.

I saw my surgeon today and he was pleased with my progress. I haven't even started physio yet, but he gave the go-ahead to see them.  I will set up my first physio appointment for this week.

How often did others go to physio per week?  I'm thinking 3 days per week at minimum?  And for how many weeks/months did you go to physio?

Thanks
Ben

Offline TendonTim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4707 on: April 03, 2013, 12:17:09 AM »
Just a quick update. Just had physical therapy today and we're at 100 degrees flexion. I had a minor set back this past weekend due to pain in the pes ansurinus area. My pt told me it was due to really tight hamstrings so loosening those up will be a priority this week. I'm trying to get to 120 degrees by next friday so we'll see what happens.

The more that I do, the more I feel confident that the repair will hold up to everyday activities. I can definitely see myself trying the stuff that Ben is doing once I hit 8-9 weeks. Time will tell.

I go to pt 2x a week. My pt said we didn't need more than that because of how proactive I was at home. I'm curious how often others go tho.

Tim

Offline Tridad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4708 on: April 03, 2013, 03:11:54 AM »
Hi guys.
I'm new to this forum and hate to butt in but think my story can inspire ppl with a similar injury. I completely ruptured my patellar tendon when struck by a truck while cycling last September 10, 2012.  Below is a link to the picture my daughter took in the emergency room.  I was in a straight leg Zimmer splint for 2 weeks.  In a hinged splint for the next 6 weeks progressing every 2-3 weeks from 30, 60, 90, and 120 degrees rotation.  It's been almost 7 months and I am swimming, cycling, and running with virtually no pain.  I religiously followed PT and am thrilled with my progress.

http://www.medhelp.org/photos/show/552238?type=user_journals
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:16:13 AM by Tridad, Reason: heading »

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #4709 on: April 03, 2013, 04:17:38 PM »
Hi Tridad, do you mind putting a pic of your knees now? I am just curious to see how one compares to the other because my injured one still looks a lil different from my non injured one.