Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1250655 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #4680 on: March 07, 2013, 07:03:01 AM »
Hi Ben   

The floor pedal cycle is one of the best Items I purchased - however, your tendon is still not healed and one should expect to have about 40ROM at six weeks, then gradually work up to 90 ROM at say 12/14 weeks - DON`t push it.

Take care and keep posting

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline awpalmer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4681 on: March 08, 2013, 02:03:46 AM »
Hi John,

Sounds good, i will look into purchasing one when my OS gives the green light. As for timing with regards to ROM, my OS has prescribed me to unlock my leg brace 15deg per week (with 90deg coinciding at the 8 week mark). After reading hte past comments I am well aware that this injury isn't something you push. If my OS has given the green light however for reaching 90deg by the end of week 8 however than what else is there to do?

Just a brief history on my injury, I received surgery within 24 hrs of the injury (which apparently is great for ensuring a better recovery?). Also, I was given the green light to begin light physio at the 4 week mark when my brace was unlocked to 45deg.

Everything to date has been done only through approval by my OS.

Andrew

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4682 on: March 09, 2013, 07:05:12 AM »
Hi Andrew

Plan looks good - keep posting your progress   

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK   

(Currently in Israel)   
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline awpalmer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4683 on: March 10, 2013, 02:26:19 AM »
Thanks John.

Another quick question, is it normal for your tendon to feel like a "tight elastic band" when bending the knee? Even though i can get to 75deg passively (@ almost 7 weeks), the tendon itself still feels father tight throughout the whole bend. If this is normal, than when does the tendon itself begin to feel somewhat normal again?

Andrew

Offline GQJimmy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4684 on: March 11, 2013, 02:24:10 AM »
Hi RPT'ers,
Just an update, its been a long journey & it's far from over. I'm at 103 degrees of rom & still go to physical therapy twice a week and I try to exercise, ride my floor cycle & stretch everyday on my own, my strength is coming back.  It's been 7 1/2 months since my surgery and scar tissue was my biggest problem.

Hi Jules/ Eejit, what was the result of your last MRI ? did it show too much scar tissue ?

Well everyone, take care & good luck,
Jimmy
Jimmy
Full Ruptured Patellar Tendon & Meniscus Tear
Left knee on July 1, 2012
Surgery on July 16, 2012

Offline Ben5000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4685 on: March 11, 2013, 09:42:03 AM »
It's been a couple of weeks since my last post. I am now 5 weeks post surgery of a complete RPT.

Before I provide my update, just a couple of preemptive caveats. I am not pushing it and am listening carefully to my body.  I understand how significant this injury is.

Yesterday I ditched the knee brace and moved to a neoprene sleeve only. I am quite comfortable and confidant without it. I can stand one legged on my bad leg.  I can raise my bad leg off the ground when sitting on the floor (the quad lift exercise). I still walk up and down stairs one at a time, although am close to being able to do it normally, well at least walking up the stairs that is!

I have been going to the gym everyday for the last 2 weeks. I do all of my regular upper body exercises and just recently got on the ellipitical trainer and can do full rotations on that.  I also do seated leg presses and use just my bad leg to push minimal weight. I can't ride the stationary bike just yet as can't do a full pedal rotation. 

I bought an electronic muscle stimulator and have used it for the last 10 days on my quad for 30 minutes each day. 

For recovery supplements I am taking silica, collagen, and grape seed extract (for inflammation). In addition to my standard multi-vitamin and glucosamine/chroindrotin/msm supplement that I have been taking for years.

Although I have no knee pain I ice my knee everyday to help with the swelling.

The scar is looking good. I put Vitamin E cream on it twice a day.

I went back to work last week (office job) and can drive a car (have an automatic and the bad leg is not needed to drive).  Sitting for longer than 45 minutes is slightly painful so I build in walking or standing breaks when at work.

I know that I am slightly ahead of average rehab/recovery from this type of injury, but am not treating it as a race or measuring myself against anybody else. We all heal differently.

My OS hasn't even approved any type of physio plan yet.  I next see my OS in early April, at which time he will, I assume, approve the physio plan (meaning no "official" physio on me until 8 weeks post surgery, a super conservative approach for an RPT). For me, getting active and getting out of the brace now was first based on my confidence and ability, and then based on mitigating scar tissue build-up and the further withering away of my quad. Both of which would mean a much longer rehab with potential for long-term problems.

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #4686 on: March 12, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing well. I just had a general question.

Has anyone else also noticed that their tendon elongates a bit after a surgery like this during recovery? My doc said its common and the tendon elongation causes the kneecap to shift up a little. I didnt really notice this before but my one knee cap is a little higher than my other. Not sure if this is because my PT pushed me too hard to get my ROM back or what. Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline awpalmer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4687 on: March 12, 2013, 07:09:51 PM »
bballkingofnba:

It feels like a am stretching out my tendon every time I bend my leg as it is currently quite stiff, but I was under the impression that the tendon can also be shorter than it previously was (due to the reattachment procedure). At 7 weeks my kneecap feels like it is within a cm from the good knee, but I am having issues with kneecap mobility due to scar tissue. Has this been an issue with you or anyone else?

Andrew

Offline TendonTim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4688 on: March 12, 2013, 07:41:59 PM »
After my complete rt patellar rupture, I started reading studies and research on the rehab of people that had this type of injury. In most every article, the sample size has been maybe 25-30 people which really led me to believe that this is a pretty rare injury. All the outcomes were great but it's good to see threads like this with a more real indication of what I'll be facing.

So I did a complete rupture of my right patellar tendon including the medial and lateral retinaculum. The injury was 2/10/13 and the surgery was 2/15/13. I had my staples taken out 3/5/13 and as of 3/6/13, I'm at about 55 degrees flexion. I do heel slides 4-5x a day and use an electronic stimulation machine 4-5x a day to facilitate isometric contraction of the vastus medialis and rectus femorus. (the electric stimulation has probably been the single best thing i could do since no other strengthening activities are allowed) I just started 25-50% weight bearing with 2 crutches and have started to notice more definition in my quads as of 5 days ago. Lastly, I started lateral leg raises with my brace locked in extension and I noticed that I can do straight leg raises with no lag and no pain. I'm under orders not to do the straight leg raises though.

I think that i've done just about as much as i can do before starting physical therapy at this point. I don't want to push the bending too much because it hasn't been a month since the surgery and i don't want to damage the repair. Also, I'm fairly certain my surgeon used a relaxing absorbable suture to protect the repair so I'm thinking flexion will come easier with that dissolves. Right now, every morning, it feels like i'm starting over at 0 degrees flexion because of how stiff the tendon feels. Well that's all for now. I see my orthopedic surgeon a week from today so i'll probably report progress then.

Tim

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #4689 on: March 13, 2013, 04:57:32 AM »
awpalmer:

It felt the same way when I was bending it too! It feels like an elastic rubber band. My PT used to tell me to bend passively with heel slides to the point where u start to feel a pinch of pain and then you go back down to full extension. As long as the stretchy feeling isnt painful I dont think its a big deal because you are breaking a lot of scar tissue in there (according to my doctor). He also said that the tendon can shorten if the PT is taken too slow and there is too much scarring of the tissue fibers because then they limit mobility and restrict motion. But given that you are arleady in PT at 7 weeks you seem to be doing well! Just keep getting the range slowly and start initial strengthenig with leg raises and quad sets. It really gets  better after 12 weeks once you walk normally. At least thats how I felt. Hope your recovery goes well!!

Offline Jules257

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4690 on: March 21, 2013, 08:01:44 PM »
Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone has had the wires removed. I have mine set to be removed may 6th because they are bothering me.  I was just wondering, am I to expect another unsightly scar? Or is it going to be arthroscopic?

Offline cabrev

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4691 on: March 23, 2013, 02:36:36 PM »
Jules257, I had my wires removed about a year after surgery (my OS prefers to leave them in if/until any issues arise). I started having sharp pains upon bending, and x-rays showed that the wire had broken into multiple pieces from wire-fatigue from my exercising over time, and one had migrated a somewhat.  The pain was the sharp ends poking internally.  The surgery was a breeze, mostly arthroscopic (there was one small entry, plus two small incisions due to access to get to one piece of the wire...one incision about a quarter-inch, one maybe 3/4").  I limped out of the surgery center, and was back at the gym in a matter of days.     -LT

Offline awpalmer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4692 on: March 23, 2013, 08:21:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice bballkingofnba, and I'm glad to hear that this feeling is normal.

A current update at week 8.5, my ROM is now 105 (with some pain and lots of tightness when I reach it) and I have been working on reducing my gait when walking with one crutch for light support. My kneecap/tendon still feels tight when I bed the knee over 75deg but there has been a noticeable improvement in the past week and a half. Hoping this continues to decrease as the weeks go on. Also, the progression of gains regarding ROM has seemed to decrease significantly after the 90deg milestone but at least it is slowly coming along.

After a visit to my OS for the 8 week checkup, he still wants me in the brace/using a crutch for support until the 12 week mark when the tendon has essentially healed. I am hoping to start riding a stationary bike within the next 2-3 weeks as well if I can increase my ROM to the appropriate level.

For everyone in the first 4-5 weeks of this surgery, it does eventually get somewhat better!

Andrew

Offline TendonTim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4693 on: March 24, 2013, 03:52:54 AM »
Thanks for that info awpalmer.

I'm actually just passing 5 weeks and 1 day and I'm right at about 85 degrees active flexion. Awpalmer, are you doing any active extension yet? and does your scar still stick to stuff underneath it?

It's interesting that your surgeon didn't want you walking without a crutch yet. My pt just gave me the clear to hobble along. Please keep us updated on your progress. It's really good to see other people moving in a positive direction. Thanks

Tim

Offline awpalmer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4694 on: March 24, 2013, 05:48:32 PM »
Tim:
It does seem like quite a long time to be in the brace/crutch compared to many others here in this post. I have been walking around my house without an aid since the 7 week mark and have noticed a significant improvement regarding my control and and confidence. I have started walking around my campus with one crutch or a cane (when feeling confident), but still do not feel ready to walk far without an aid of any kind.

As for active flexion, I have yet to do any exercises that put any pressure/stress on the patellar tendon so not I have not begun this exercise. I still feel pain in my kneecap when I try to do any type of unsupported extension, so i am holding off until the green light is given as a major setback at this point isn't worth it.