Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249589 times)

CSM4thCAV2014

Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #4650 on: January 03, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »
Correction...I'm at 20 months as of today. I am MC (mathmatically challenged)! :-[

Happy New Year to all!

JC

Offline ohiowoods

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4651 on: January 04, 2013, 08:37:21 PM »
Hi All, I haven't posted in almost a month, but after my initial PT visit I was at 30 degrees, doc wanted me to stay there for two weeks and work on muscle control and basic strength.

Opened bace to 60 on Dec 19th, hit 48 degrees on Dec 24th (about 6 wks), 62 degrees on Dec 31st (7 wks). Guess the day before a holiday bodes well for me, too bad none coming up again soon.

They opened my brace to 90 on Jan 2nd and measured me at 68 degrees, but that was with a lot of pushing by my PT, and my pain threshold got crossed and I involuntarily jumped on the table and pulled my leg out of her hand. That's the first time for that, but I'm sure it'll happen since I'nm trying to be aggressive with this and I think she's working to match that and keep pushing me.

It's not where I wanted to be, was hoping for 90 by the end of Dec, but my knee has proven to be very tight, and I wasn't able to push on it much early on. While my recovery hasn't been speedy, it seems to be on par with most and I've been able to walk with a cane instead of crutches since about 4 wks post op. Lately I've been leaving the brace off a lot at home unless I'm going up and down stairs.

I did start driving at a little over 4 weeks post op, which was a relief to my wife, even if she wouldn't admit it.

Sitting on the edge of our bed with my foot flat on the floor (that was an accomplishment by itself) and pushing against my knee has yielded the best results, but also the most swelling and pain, especially when I hold it for 30 secs and really lay into it the last 5.

My PT started me on a NuStep which is a sort of sit down and recline stairmaster. That seems to be helping a lot while not putting weight on my knee, so I've taken John's much given advice and ordered a floor bike to help now that I'm able to seriously start working on ROM. Can't wait to start rocking and pedaling on it.

Keep working towards your goals, if someone else has done it, you can as well.

Tim
11-3-12 Full PTR -moving accident with a fridge on some stairs.
11-9-12 Repair with non-metalic wire
12-6-12 First PT, 30 degrees,brace at 30
12-19-12 36 degrees, brace at 60
12-24-12 48 degrees
12-31-12 62 degrees, brace at 90
1-9-13 75 degrees

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4652 on: January 04, 2013, 09:11:33 PM »
Hi Tim

Delighted that you have taken my advice to purchase a floor cycle - worth it`s weight in gold -

At 6/8 weeks, the rom should be bout 30/40ROM, 12 weeks about 90ROM, and then work towards your next milestone of 120ROM, which should be reached between 20/26 weeks - anything over 120 ROM is a bonus - remember, your good knee should be 130/140 ROM, but you have good movement with 120 plus....

Best regards

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Joerd101

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4653 on: January 08, 2013, 12:08:13 AM »
Update on progress
Now just over 9 weeks post op
Have achieved 120 degrees ROM which is great! I have found that walking as much as possible helps

Also if you have scar tissue build up, try a remedial sports massage, it helps with blood flow and movement and is really nice

They also recommend a foam roller which can help with tight ITB's and massaging the adhesions in your leg

If you have a bit of cash, invest in a stationary bike. I recently got one and have been doing 5 to 7km a day. Once you get past 90 degrees you should be good to go and it helps with strength and movement up to 120 degrees

Hope everyone is recovering well..
Patella Tendon Rupture 19th Sept
Patella Tendon Repair 5th Nov
ROM 15  Degrees15th Nov
ROM 31 20th Nov
ROM 45 26th Nov
ROM 51 29th Nov
ROM 55 2nd Dec
ROM 65  5th Dec
ROM 70 9th Dec
ROM 75 13th Dec
ROM 85 18th Dec
ROM 100 27th Dec
ROM 120 7th Jan

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4654 on: January 08, 2013, 07:42:16 AM »
Hi Joerd101

Delighted that you have made such quick progress, however, your tendon has not healed 100%, so don`t push it.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4655 on: January 08, 2013, 10:02:03 AM »
TEN YEARS AGO I SLIPPED ON BLACK ICE AND RUPTURED MY PATELLA TENDON.  TODAY, I HAVE 118rom as AS AGAINST 138 IN MY GOOD LEG.

EVEN WITH 118ROM, CAN DO EVERY THING, EXCEPT WALKING UPHILL IS A PAIN AND MUST TAKE EXTRA CARE WALKING ON SNOW/ICE AND WET PAVEMENTS.

Just wish that KneeGuru would have been around when I sustained my injury.

BUT LIVING LIFE AS NORMAL.

Must go out and purchase a birthday card.

JohnK/ Manchester

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline cabrev

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4656 on: January 08, 2013, 03:14:27 PM »
Happy decade-Birthday John!  Thanks for all that you do here.

-LT

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4657 on: January 08, 2013, 03:41:52 PM »
Appreciated - that why I like to pass on tips to make life easier

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Humpy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4658 on: January 08, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »
Evening all PT'ers

It has been a while since i posted so i thought i would share my progress.

I had my accident 1st August and ruptured the patella tendon in both knees the surgeon at Redhill hospital had only ever seen the same injury twice in 29 years i had surgery the 2nd and stayed in hospital in full leg casts for 2 weeks, When released i was under the care of my local hospital in Ashford kent where i live.

After 4 weeks i was fitted with hinged braces set at 30 this was increased to 70 at 6 weeks but i struggled to get either knee past 40, in my surgery i had wire supports inserted around the repairs to help support my knees during physio where i basically had my knees pushed up to my chest to help stretch the repaired tendons this was bloody painful and i never really gained any extra ROM, I spoke with my surgeon (Mr Brooks) who wanted to take out the wires meaning another minor operation this happend on the 11th Oct and by the 20th both knees were flexing to 90 the wire removal was probably the best part of my treatment.

At present i am 5 months post op and am extremely lucky with my rehab while speaking with my surgeon he asked what i wanted from my physio i thought this odd but went with it explaining that i wanted to heal quickly and get back to normal as fast as i could with out weekly visits to the hospital physio as this was time consuming and restraing for my wife who had become my driver, Between us we come up with a simple plan where i walked for 10mins turned around and walked home rested and iced then later in the day repeated the exercise this went on and incresed for 3 weeks taking me to the 4 month mark where i started going swimming nothing heavy just very slow lenghts and building.

At present i go swimming Monday Wednesday and Friday evenings covering between 40-60 lengths it takes me a while but my legs are a lot stronger and i've managed to lose just over a stone which i put on on the days in between i use my bike and cycle a 4m circuit which is gradually getting quicker!! i don't do anything on Sunday as i'm generally to knackered.

Although this may seem alot of exercise it isn't and doesn't consume to much of my time although it may not be every bodies idea of recovery for me not going to the hospital physio and doing it myself worked for me i live a nearly full life i can't run or jump around with my kids but we still do most of the things we did before my accident i just have to be a lot more careful, Driving still proves a problem at times as my accelerator leg is in the same position and starts aching badly where i have had to stop get out and stretch my real and only problem is when i walk down stairs it always feels like either knee could give way at any moment apart from that i i'm ok

Best wishes and happy new year to all

Matt

Offline redcoat82

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4659 on: January 08, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »
Hello all,

It has been a few months since I have posted. My rehab continues to go well and I am seeing pretty regular progression.

I ruptured my right Patella Tendon last Feb 22 while skiing, as a result getting back onto the slopes has been one of my most significant rehab goals. Over the holidays I was able to ski 5 days, and it went so well I signed up for a race training program for a couple hours every weekend for the remainder of the season! I am very pleasantly surprised with how my rehab has gone and put me into a position to enjoy skiing again so quickly.

Next stop on the rehab train is a cycling trip to France in May where I hope to climb Mt Ventoux in less than 2 hours.

For those just starting to rehab, hopefully you have similar results.

Best to all in the new year.

Paul
Left PTR : May 1993
Right PTR : Feb 23, 2012
Surgery: Feb 29, 2012
First PT: Apr 10, 2012

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4660 on: January 08, 2013, 11:02:10 PM »
Hi Matt & Redcoat82

Delighted that you are both making such good progress   

Matt, as you have learned, a double RPT is so very rare, in fact I only recall of 4/5 persons with a similar double RPT over 10 years.

Hope you have applied and received a blue car disability badge, if not. come bck to me and I will tell you how to go about it.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline redcoat82

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4661 on: January 09, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
Thanks John, and congratulations on 10 years!

You are a definite inspiration on this board, your posts have been very helpful - particularly your reminders around moderation. Thank you so much.

Paul
Left PTR : May 1993
Right PTR : Feb 23, 2012
Surgery: Feb 29, 2012
First PT: Apr 10, 2012

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4662 on: January 09, 2013, 08:22:14 PM »
Thank you Paul - that`s what life is all about

JohnK/Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline ohiowoods

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4663 on: January 10, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »
Hi again everyone,

Just had my two month (9 week) follow up with my surgeon and all went well. She has cleared me for more aggressive PT and said brace use is at my descretion. Since it's winter I'll probably be wearing it out almost all the time, but it might be nice to take it off for a while at work. I've been going without it at home about half the time when no stairs are involved.

I was at 75 degrees in PT last night after my workout and my PT commented that she would be really leaning on me now if I was and ACL instead of a RPT.

I know there's been a lot of discussion about wires and the when why and how on this forum over the years (but I haven't even been able to read through it all yet), so I asked my surgeon about my specific repair and I thought I'd post the info. Hope it's not too rundundant from what's been posted before.

My repair uses a non metallic fiber similar to kevlar that sews like a suture but is high strength - they can't cut it with scissors, have to use wire cutters. It's woven into the top end of the tendon using the Krackow stitch, which was developed specifically for tendons, here's the explanation from Dr. Krackow himself if you want to read it (skip down about half way):

http://www.healio.com/orthopedics/knee/journals/ortho/%7B6613fd03-bbda-47f2-a344-e0f892f9e8bb%7D/the-krackow-suture-how-when-and-why

From there the fibers are drawn over the patella and through the three holes drilled at the top and tied off. I have a double stitch which seems to be common for a RPT, with a row down each side that then continues up side by side in the middle of the tendon resulting in four ends at the top, two in the middle and one at each side, that are tied off. I recently found a small bump under my skin at the top of patella just to the side of my scar that didn't move with the skin but stayed with the patella and my suregon confirmed that it's the knot. She says there could be some discomfort if you kneel on it, but it's high on the patella so that doesn't happen very often.

It's a permanent repair that is not removed, doesn't break, and since it's only in the top of the tendon it doesn't affect tendon stretching and ROM, but it was designed to have high strength and not tear out of the tendon.

Attached is a diagram of a repair like mine.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well and continuing their recovery.

Tim
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:44:05 PM by ohiowoods »
11-3-12 Full PTR -moving accident with a fridge on some stairs.
11-9-12 Repair with non-metalic wire
12-6-12 First PT, 30 degrees,brace at 30
12-19-12 36 degrees, brace at 60
12-24-12 48 degrees
12-31-12 62 degrees, brace at 90
1-9-13 75 degrees

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4664 on: January 10, 2013, 04:09:28 PM »
Well done Tim, you are on course for a normal recovery - just take care with the winter weather.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support