Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1249598 times)

Offline Joerd101

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #4620 on: December 06, 2012, 09:45:08 PM »
Hi all

Good to see everyone's progressing ok.

Managed to get to 65 ROM last night  :o which is much better. The clicks have been happening but with less pain. Physio mentioned that was normal and they go away. I'm glad my repair has let me get into the physio early because it has given me some goals.

How long is everyone icing for post op? I usually just do end of day at the moment

Also with bandages - I've still got mine on nearly 5 weeks post op- (replaced twice a week)I've been told I can  take it off tho.

Good luck with the ROM everyone
Patella Tendon Rupture 19th Sept
Patella Tendon Repair 5th Nov
ROM 15  Degrees15th Nov
ROM 31 20th Nov
ROM 45 26th Nov
ROM 51 29th Nov
ROM 55 2nd Dec
ROM 65  5th Dec
ROM 70 9th Dec
ROM 75 13th Dec
ROM 85 18th Dec
ROM 100 27th Dec
ROM 120 7th Jan

Offline Lea12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4621 on: December 07, 2012, 10:46:52 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I ruptured my patellar tendon playing volleyball on November 11th.  Playing just as I normally do, landed after jumping to hit a ball and it just went.  I of course wiped out causing me to hurt my wrist as well but nothing major there.  Being a former college athlete I have been playing ball and apparently torturing my knees for most of my 33 years!  I never had too many knee issues other than tendonitis (jumpers knee) which was apparently my down fall here!  When my tendon snapped upon landing I really thought someone had hit me in the knee with something and after I landed I even looked around to see who hit me!  I went to the ER and they xrayed and put me in a brace and made me an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon.  An appointment and MRI later I was scheduled for surgery on November 19th.  I was told that I completely tore the tendon from my patella and had also shredded it pretty good so the surgeon had to pull the tendon pretty tight to get it reattached.  I guess that is why I am still in the full leg brace.  I haven't been scheduled for any therapy either.  I was instructed that I have 2 more weeks of crutches and brace before seeing the doctor again.  I haven't bent my knee at all for almost 4 weeks now and have 2 more to go before I even see the doctor again.  I am currently only able to touch down with my bad leg no full weight bearing.  I'm more than a little bummed that I haven't started any rehab yet!  I haven't been able to bend my knee in 4 weeks and it will be at least another 2 before I will.  Not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience, if this is normal?  I guess I was hopeful for a more aggressive plan!

Anyway that's my story!  I have been reading through all of the threads and appreciate all of the info everyone has shared!  any thoughts or comments are welcome!

Thanks!!

Lea
11/11/12 - Ruptured Patellar tendon playing volleyball
11/19/12 - Surgery to repair tendon no wire
12/3/12 - all staples removed still in full leg brace no bending 50% weight bearing on crutches

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4622 on: December 08, 2012, 12:43:23 PM »
Hi Lea  and welcome to the RPT thread at Kneeguru - you will have realised that you have sustained a very serious inujry with a very long rehab period.

I advise you to read some of the previous posts on this thread and ASK questions - lots of buddies to give you good advice.

I am going to send you by e-mail, a set of documents which I have compiled over the years, which will give you an indepth idea of your injury and the rehab process - a minimum of six months, if not longer.
#
Where do you live.

Keep posting

JohnK Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Jennyb1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4623 on: December 08, 2012, 01:55:57 PM »
Hi all,
Well I have just received the news that from next week I will only be getting half wages. (I had originally been told, incorrectly it turns out, that I would get 6 months full pay).  I live on my own so the mortgage and all my bills are my sole responsibility. What I will get from now on will just about cover my direct debits so it looks like luxuries such as food and heating will be off the menu.  :(
I could do without the added stress quite frankly, I have enough problems with my injury!!  >:(

Hi Lea,
where are you based? UK? Your treatment seems similar to mine. I too was told I had shredded my tendon and had given the surgeon a difficult time in repairing it. He said there was more stitching than tendon. I was put in a cast for 6 1/2 weeks and only allowed to toe touch weight bear. I was then put in a brace set initially at 30 for 2 weeks, although I could not bend my knee at all at that stage. The brace was to be opened another 30 degrees every 2 weeks up to 90. I was told to only 50 % weight bear for those 6 weeks. I have had a little physio from around 8 weeks post op but nothing significant - apparently I am to have much more after I have had my next op to have the wire removed. (I am awaiting a date and am now nearly 4 months on) Do you have wire?

The main problem I had with not being allowed to do much was muscle wastage. As I was in a cast to start with which included my foot I could not even flex my ankle. As a result my lower leg muscles were badly atrophied as well as my quad muscles. When the muscles waste they contract and shorten which then means they will not have enough length in full stretch to allow for bending of the relevant limb. I therefore could neither get much bend in my knee or my ankle to flex my foot.

So in the meantime to try to minimize muscle atrophy do lots of quad sets for the thigh and if you can move your foot I would suggest you regularly exercise by alternating between pointing your toes and then pulling them back toward you. You will be surprised by how much and how quickly your muscles can waste when you can't move them much or weight bear.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:57:52 PM by Jennyb1 »
16th Aug 12 Patella tendon rupture R knee
Operated 17th Aug 12
Wire used to support - removal required
Immobilised in cast 6 1/2 weeks
2nd Oct 12 Leg brace fitted
18th Oct ROM 25 degrees
26th Oct ROM 35 degrees

Offline Lea12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4624 on: December 08, 2012, 08:00:09 PM »
Hi John and thank you for the info!  I will be looking for it! 

Jenny it does sound like we have a similar situation! So sorry to hear about your work situation! 

I am actually in the US, close to St. Louis MO but on the Illinois side.  I am in a small town so I don't know if that is why the doctors here are more cautious?   Coming from a collegiate athlete background I was expecting a bigger push into therapy so I am chomping at the bit, but on the other hand this injury scared me pretty bad so I am also only doing what the doctor says! 

I am luck enough to have my family close by and my husband works not far from my work so between my mom and husband they get me to work and back.  Plus I work a desk job for the most part so I have been back to work since about a week post op.  I am luck enough to be pretty good on my crutches so I can manuver pretty well.  I do not have a wire at least not that I'm aware of.  I am only in a straight leg brace but barely ever even open it up, only to adjust it when it is slidng down my leg and just recently to slide pants on my leg as it is cold here. 

I go back to the ortho on December 27 right after christmas so I am crossing my fingers that I am going to get to start working toward my recovery!  Although I am not looking forward to what I'm sure are going to be some very painful times ahead!

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me it is so nice to connect with others with the same problems!

11/11/12 - Ruptured Patellar tendon playing volleyball
11/19/12 - Surgery to repair tendon no wire
12/3/12 - all staples removed still in full leg brace no bending 50% weight bearing on crutches

Offline The Eejit

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #4625 on: December 10, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »
Jenny,

I hear you on the money front, I'm fretting about going onto half pay but unlike you I was lucky enough that I do get 6 months pay.

Before you start to worry to much check your options. You get Statutory Sick Pay for 28 weeks, so you need to find out if you get your half pay plus this.

If not you will most likely qualify for Employment Support Allowance. The letter I got from my work advised me to talk to the Social Security Agency, so it might not be a bad idea to give them a call. On top of the injury the money situation has stressed me out no end.

I'm looking at using my leave so I don't lose it and also to phase myself back, my 6 months is up in 3 weeks but I am not strong enough to go back, I don't drive and have a 1 hr train journey followed by a 10 minute walk. I kind of think if there is no more inprovement in the strength in 6 weeks then there is not going to be and I will just have to make do. I am however worried about reporting fit if I then have to go for more surgery which fingers crossed I won't.

I've never been off more than a week in the 21 years I've been working so when something like this happens you have no clue what to do :(

Don't be like me and fret tho, find out your options x
My friends call me Juls :)
-----------------------------------
6th July 2012 - Ruptured Left Patellar Tendon
Friday the 13th July - Surgery (yes I said my goodbyes lol)

Offline Joerd101

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4626 on: December 11, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
5 weeks post op Achieved 70 degrees rom. Starting to feel better but getting pins an needles in foot :(

ROM 15  Degrees15th Nov
ROM 31 20th Nov
ROM 45 26th Nov
ROM 51 29th Nov
ROM 55 2nd Dec
ROM 65  5th Dec
ROM 70 9th Dec
ROM 75 13th Dec
ROM 85 18th Dec
ROM 100 27th Dec
ROM 120 7th Jan

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4627 on: December 11, 2012, 04:10:13 PM »
Hi Joerd101

Don`t rush it, for fear of rerupturing - your tendon is still very weak for at least 8/10 weeks.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline jackpot102

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4628 on: December 12, 2012, 04:23:09 PM »
Status update and answering some questions:

Ruptured my Right PT on 9/20.  This is just about 11 weeks.  I am finally able to go down stairs without assistance/handrail.  The knee still buckles at random times, so I take my time on stairs.  I'm not in a rush.

How to put socks on.   I already had enough flexibility to get a sock around my toes, the problem was getting it around my heal.  Trick was to roll the sock inside out before putting it around your toes, then take a plastic coat hanger and use it to get the sock around the heal.

Clicking.  It goes away proportionally as your strength comes back.  Same goes for flexibility.  I had lots of tightness in my IT bands but as I started to exercise, my flexibility came back and the clicking went away.  I still get some clicking in the morning.

Swelling.  Its still swollen.  My dr says 6-8 months for it to all go away.  Lots of scar tissue there as well.

Here is a new exercise that I am doing that is really helping.  Set a treadmill to 15 degrees and walk backwards.  It really works the hamstrings and glutes.

Beginning to get my cardio back by using the elliptical machine.  The lungs and heart are liking it.

Offline Joerd101

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4629 on: December 14, 2012, 04:21:37 AM »
I know what you mean about the clicking it gets better

Sounds like you did your injury 2 days after me

Thanks for the tips on the sock will give it a go.i find that with shoes you can juat lean on bed and step in them

Has anyone got any lumpy bits around the scar?

Interesting to hear different protocol around rehab etc. Some surgeons do a repair that lets you get straight into rehab others do a repair that puts you in a cast for 6 weeks. I guess it depends on the nature of the tear

Glad to hear everyone is going well

As everyone is coucn bound why not grab a tablet for xmas they are great fun!

ROM 15  Degrees15th Nov
ROM 31 20th Nov
ROM 45 26th Nov
ROM 51 29th Nov
ROM 55 2nd Dec
ROM 65  5th Dec
ROM 70 9th Dec
ROM 75 13th Dec
ROM 85 18th Dec
ROM 100 27th Dec
ROM 120 7th Jan

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4630 on: December 14, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »
Hi Joerd101

99% of RPT patients cannot do physio/pt until 6/8 weeks as the repaired tendon is so week after surgery, so just play with your new tablet instead.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline sunkizt1984

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4631 on: December 14, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »
I have some bumpiness on the scar as well - I've been using Bio-oil to massage the scar daily, but I think any Vitamin E oil will help with the scar.

Not sure if this is helpful to others who still have a lot of swelling, but my PT has been using Kinesio tape on my knee to bring down swelling  (my knee is about half the size it was before - still a little swollen though). There are a few brands of the tape (looks like what athletes used at the olympics), but it's taped in this pattern over the knee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMfEloiZgpY Looks ridiculous, but I've gotten a few extra degrees of ROM from the swelling going down.

Offline Joerd101

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4632 on: December 15, 2012, 01:05:56 AM »
Got the bio oil but might try that too. Ive heard rosehip(sp) oil can be good

Trying to move about lots as i had 2 DVT clots each about 20cm- i have to find a balance between pushing it and resting

I can walk down stairs and come up them now· i find its best on stairs with dual rails
ROM 15  Degrees15th Nov
ROM 31 20th Nov
ROM 45 26th Nov
ROM 51 29th Nov
ROM 55 2nd Dec
ROM 65  5th Dec
ROM 70 9th Dec
ROM 75 13th Dec
ROM 85 18th Dec
ROM 100 27th Dec
ROM 120 7th Jan

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4633 on: December 15, 2012, 09:00:26 AM »
Bio Oil top notch - keep onto those hand rails - don`t take chances

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline jackpot102

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4634 on: December 17, 2012, 02:21:16 AM »
Joerd101,

No bumpiness on the scar for me.  The only bump is my enlarged kneecap.

From what I read everyone gets a different post op routine/physical therapy.  In my opinion its all about what your Dr believes in.  In my case, he believes in early motion and wanted me in PT as soon as possible.  This is what he allowed, and when I wasn't at PT I spent hours laying on the couch with my knee bent stretching.

0-2 weeks, up to 30 deg in PT.
2-4 weeks, brace unlocked to 30 degrees and begin straight leg raises.
4-6 weeks, brace unlocked up to 70. I got up to 90 naturally.
6 weeks on, full ROM.  Brace only goes up to 130.
8 weeks, permitted to discontinue use of the brace.

Also, keep in mind that our Dr's are the ones that actually saw the damage, so I'd also imagine that plays a part in whatever PT he prescribes.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:24:33 AM by jackpot102 »

support